The wind, a branch and my TL.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 07:34 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by shadow1
Did you find any sand or grit under the rack towers? That will chew through vinyl. BTW what's "glaze and LSP"?
there was some dirt and crap under the feet of the towers. what if i regularly clean under the feet and replace the vinyl?

sealant glaze step 4 of a 5 step detail. LSP-last step product-->carnuba or synthetic wax (step 5).

makes the car look great and protects the paint really well.

i've been hanging out on autogeek way too much recently.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've become way more OCD about detailing than me LOL. I just clay bar and wash with a orbital buffer twice a year.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Intermediate

I still vote no roof rack. However, if you need to replace the broken bike mount, you can have one of my no longer used mounts.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:13 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

You've become way more OCD about detailing than me LOL. I just clay bar and wash with a orbital buffer twice a year.
I still vote no roof rack. However, if you need to replace the broken bike mount, you can have one of my no longer used mounts.
yeah shocking ain't it? there is just something about looking at a car that is just so clear and clean....pure....plus i love the feel of the paint when its smooth, soft and buttery. i can't stand scratches.
with the PC i have no risk of burning my paint when doing paint correction. wax application...eh i might do it by hand (best for uniform coating) or if i'm lazy...i might use the PC.

i've got a few months to think about it. i have a few plans for the car this spring once my bank account recovers

i still need to send my cover in for repair.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Intermediate

If you leave he rack off, then you won't need the cover repaired. More money for other mods.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:29 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I also love a scratch free (wishfull thinking) shiny clean car. I also love driving it. As hard as I try to protect it-chips show up. I do hand wash it often using Mother's Carnauba wash & wax, followed by mother's showtime quick detailer. At least once a year it gets the mother's carnauba cleaner wax treatment. Having a red car needs lots of attention to avoid fading. It was nice when I went to the local acura in NC and the advisors comments on the nice shine the car has.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:38 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^helps when you're a chick that pulls up in her shiny car. dealer will always notice that. you get even more attention if you hop out with a bottle of detail spray and give it a once over before handing them the keys.

red can be bad at showing swirls too, if you get them.

now the only blemishes on my car are the rock chips on the hood and fenders. oh well. it'll make me not as crazy about keeping it entirely blemish free.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:57 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

mini update

while the car is home...the story doesn't quite end there (i'd like it to but...). the second claim for my front bumper which was damaged by the tow company (where the driver inserted the tow hook, or should i say tried to), is the last chapter of this saga.

my insurance has been working to get the tow company to pay up.

first call to the tow company from the insurance: we didn't do it. the car was flatbedded, there was no way we damaged the bumper. um yeah....why in the world would i be hassling with making the claim if it wasn't damaged????

second call to the tow company from the insurance: we want to see the pictures. so i authorize the release of the pics to the tow co. that the adjuster had taken of the front bumper. i even said if you want a witness talk to my adviser at the body shop and the adjuster that was doing the estimate.

thrid call to the tow company by the insurance: we never towed that car. oh really???!!! you messed with the wrong chick!!! i have an invoice from the driver you jackasses!!! my insurance has a copy of the invoice with all the info on there including the driver, date and PO#. my insurance already paid them for the tow as well.

so, we'll see what they have to say now. i have an invoice, and at least two witnesses at the body shop as well as a witness at the house that will vouch for the incompetency that has taken place.

give me my money back!!!!!

patience....i must have patience....

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 02-08-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Ugggh...too many shady tow companies.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:03 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Wow . . . that's unbelievable. They are quick to take the money, but they'll drag their feet in admitting fault. Stand your ground and you'll get what's rightfully yours soon enough.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:19 PM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
Tow truck drivers are VERY OFTEN incompetent.

They're always in a rush, always late, and don't care about cars. they VERY OFTEN cause damage and of course, never want to pay.

I have had hundreds of cars towed and have spent many hours waiting on them. They've damaged everything from bumpers to suspension camber arms from grabbing/pulling from the wrong places.

They charge you like 80-90 bucks for hook up and 6-10$ per mile for the tow. Its ridiculous how expensive towing cars is. They make ridiculous money.

Its sad, but they're assholes 90% of the time. Goodluck, Hope you get it settled.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:23 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
mine was just picked up on a tow truck, again.

Last edited by justnspace; 02-08-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:27 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
LOL...Patience is the key girl....

when my car got towed in Austin....the the guy messed up my front plate (sticks below the bumper) and my bumper....i took a video right there....

the guy instantly tells me:
guy: you know what, will cut you some slack....will leave you car....
me: no please....take it....i saw and got on video what you did....
guy: if i take it in, it will cost you $150....just gimme $100 cash and will let it go....
me: BRO, you damaged my car....i will be talking this up with your supervisor....take it in....

he takes it in and I had them fix the damage and pay for what they cudnt fix....

patience girl....patience....these tow company people are shady as fawk....
Old 02-08-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace
mine was just picked up on a tow truck, again.
you curbed it again ?

what happened ?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:29 PM

i got the car back, but certainly not in pre-accident condition!!! lol
so, off it goes!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:31 PM

^^^ great....yeah be patient....it will pay off :thumsbup:
Old 02-08-2012, 01:34 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by quanaman

They're always in a rush, always late, and don't care about cars. they VERY OFTEN cause damage and of course, never want to pay.

I have had hundreds of cars towed and have spent many hours waiting on them. They've damaged everything from bumpers to suspension camber arms from grabbing/pulling from the wrong places.

They charge you like 80-90 bucks for hook up and 6-10$ per mile for the tow. Its ridiculous how expensive towing cars is. They make ridiculous money.

Its sad, but they're assholes 90% of the time. Goodluck, Hope you get it settled.
SO. DAMN. TRUE.

i loathe tow truck drivers/companies. years ago when i was living at an apartment complex, i parked my car outside my back entrance so i could walk my groceries inside and not have to walk a mile.

i was inside for maybe 3 minutes, only to come back out and see a tow truck behind my car. as i approached the driver, he had just finished putting on the hook-up attachment...didn't even have my car in the air yet.

i explained to him that i live here (i was parked in a valid spot but had gave my GF at the time the spare rearview mirror hanger...you only get one reserved spot per car)...and that i just ran in to put groceries away and was going to move my car right afterwards (which is the truth).

didn't matter to him. he made me walk across the street to an ATM and withdrawl $80 so he could put the car down. i was furious.

a week later, after enough bitching and complaining to the apartment complex...they refunded me the money since i didn't do anything wrong and the guy was just being a jerk.

anyways, everything will work out jamie! stay strong!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
come on guys...gotta know your hook locations. only way to assure no damage! *sigh* i hate people who can't properly do their jobs

OP, do you know how much just your windshield was? i know you were adamant about getting OEM quality...just wondering.

happy to see the car back and purdy!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by justnspace
i got the car back, but certainly not in pre-accident condition!!! lol
so, off it goes!
so you're car is broken....tranny?

Originally Posted by swoosh
LOL...Patience is the key girl....

when my car got towed in Austin....the the guy messed up my front plate (sticks below the bumper) and my bumper....i took a video right there....

the guy instantly tells me:
guy: you know what, will cut you some slack....will leave you car....
me: no please....take it....i saw and got on video what you did....
guy: if i take it in, it will cost you $150....just gimme $100 cash and will let it go....
me: BRO, you damaged my car....i will be talking this up with your supervisor....take it in....

he takes it in and I had them fix the damage and pay for what they cudnt fix....

patience girl....patience....these tow company people are shady as fawk....
yeah...patience...it's something that has slowly had to grow on me.

Originally Posted by quanaman

thanks...its outrageous that the tow company would even say they never towed my car. i have proof. and my insurance company has proof they paid them already too. add in the the witnesses...lame.

Originally Posted by ttribe
Ugggh...too many shady tow companies.
i'm learning about this side of things. so sad that a business like that has absolutely no morals or ethics.

Originally Posted by mn2trance
Wow . . . that's unbelievable. They are quick to take the money, but they'll drag their feet in admitting fault. Stand your ground and you'll get what's rightfully yours soon enough.
thanks. i'm sure they'll continue to drag their ass on this. of course, they haven't figured out who they've messed with.

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
SO. DAMN. TRUE.

i loathe tow truck drivers/companies. years ago when i was living at an apartment complex, i parked my car outside my back entrance so i could walk my groceries inside and not have to walk a mile.

i was inside for maybe 3 minutes, only to come back out and see a tow truck behind my car. as i approached the driver, he had just finished putting on the hook-up attachment...didn't even have my car in the air yet.

i explained to him that i live here (i was parked in a valid spot but had gave my GF at the time the spare rearview mirror hanger...you only get one reserved spot per car)...and that i just ran in to put groceries away and was going to move my car right afterwards (which is the truth).

didn't matter to him. he made me walk across the street to an ATM and withdrawl $80 so he could put the car down. i was furious.

a week later, after enough bitching and complaining to the apartment complex...they refunded me the money since i didn't do anything wrong and the guy was just being a jerk.

anyways, everything will work out jamie! stay strong!
thanks aaron. closure will come....i know it will....

Originally Posted by veggiemonster
come on guys...gotta know your hook locations. only way to assure no damage! *sigh* i hate people who can't properly do their jobs

OP, do you know how much just your windshield was? i know you were adamant about getting OEM quality...just wondering.

happy to see the car back and purdy!
thanks for the support.

my windshield by itself was $370. add $30 for the molding, $110 x2 for the drip molding, and then another $95 for install.

i have the exact same AP tech glass as the factory glass minus the honda/acura badge. and yes...it is identical. no issues thus far with it.

thanks guys for all the support. it's annoying, but at least my insurance co. is advocating on my behalf otherwise i might be firmly pissed if i had to deal with the tow company. the funny thing is that its one of the tow companies that is recommended by my insurance company (meaning my ins. arranged to have the car towed when i called them).

i have no patience for incompetency or stupidity for that matter.
The following users liked this post:
veggiemonster (02-10-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 07:50 PM

no, wheel issues.
metallic squeal when driving normally.
taking a left turn, steering wheel all the way to the left - grinding.

they did not bleed the brakes correctly, inconsistent brake pedal feel.

Hope you get your issues resolved, J.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:53 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

thanks justn...at least it's not your tranny. and try not do any more lawn jobs. i liked the cute crab avatar with the santa hat this new one...