The wind, a branch and my TL.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:18 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
oh the one thing i forgot to mention...the evil tree in question (a 60 footer) that my backyard neighbor owns...the power company wanted to cut the thing down b/c it sits pretty close to the power line running between the properties between both streets. they finally ask the guy to get permission to cut it down (after the neighbor alreaady coughed up $5k to cut its twin down last month) at NO COST to him. he said NO. huh? this tree and its twin have been dropping crap for years and you have the opportunity to get rid of it and you say NO. the power company tells the guy, you know the tree dropped a branch on your neighbor's car. well how come they didn't tell us? yeah, like he was going to do anything about it. all he probably would have said, "oh so sorry about your car, hope you have good car insurance."

stupid neighbor, stupid tree.

ohsix-my deductible is $500. i get to pay that twice (tree branch) and then 2nd claim for the tow truck driver damage to my front bumper (though my insurance is working to get that back for me).

hmmm....i'll have to go play with some numbers. my area is not exactly cheap to insure, nor is it super expensive (CA) or other major metro area.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:11 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^

i would have had the insurance company tackle with the neighbor (depends on my mood LOL)

that sucks girl.....waiting for your car to come out of the shop.....
Old 01-18-2012, 11:21 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

yeah...that tree is a constant reminder of the pain i've had to deal with last few weeks. when the adjustor that came to the house looked at that tree and said....that thing is huge!! yeah....i know. hate it.

neighbor spent big bucks on his fancy mcmansion on his undersized lot.... i'll probably be cussing a lot under my breath everytime his kids are playing in the shoebox of a backyard he has. lol.

i mean really, how do you pass up FREE?!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot about some areas being more expensive as far as insurance goes. Investigate a bit, never know.

Lower deductables/higher premiums sort of stink but on the other hand how many americans are sitting on funds to cover a higher deductable at any given second. lol
Old 01-18-2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
yeah...that tree is a constant reminder of the pain i've had to deal with last few weeks. when the adjustor that came to the house looked at that tree and said....that thing is huge!! yeah....i know. hate it.

neighbor spent big bucks on his fancy mcmansion on his undersized lot.... i'll probably be cussing a lot under my breath everytime his kids are playing in the shoebox of a backyard he has. lol.

i mean really, how do you pass up FREE?!
hahaha i feel you....

had a good friend with an old big ass tree in his front yard.....i told him "bro chop it down"....its begging to fall on ur house/driveway/car.....

he was kinda whipped and his wife said "no it provides shade to the house".....2 years later, tornado hits STL....the tree pops....the house, car in the garage (1 car garage), truck in the drive way + neighbors house everything damaged by that tree....

he comes and tell me "shit shud have chopped it down"
Old 01-18-2012, 01:09 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by swoosh
hahaha i feel you....

had a good friend with an old big ass tree in his front yard.....i told him "bro chop it down"....its begging to fall on ur house/driveway/car.....

he was kinda whipped and his wife said "no it provides shade to the house".....2 years later, tornado hits STL....the tree pops....the house, car in the garage (1 car garage), truck in the drive way + neighbors house everything damaged by that tree....

he comes and tell me "shit shud have chopped it down"
the upside (i think), is if that tree should come down...it's leaning toward his next door neighbor's house (the tree guy from the utility company said if would most likely fall in that direction and its another mcmansion ). we don't really get tornadoes-the occasional hurricane/tropical storm and crazy thunderstorms, yes. eh...what can i do? i'd love to send him my bill for the car ...though i'm sure he doesn't really care.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:13 PM

^^^ talk to him....tell him how the tree damaged your car and is costing you $1000 and damage on your carfax...

if he says "ok will have the tree taken down" cool....if he shows u attitude, then send him the bill
The following users liked this post:
nj2pa2nc (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 01:18 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

i suppose i could...most people around here don't have that hunky dorrie neighborly feel good thing. we barely say hi to each other. i think he's more concerned about his home value with a mature tree in his yard than he is my car and the carfax. idk.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:25 PM

^^^ this is something i ask myself:

"whats the worst that would happen?"

he will say "no" right....cool....u paid for the stuff anyway.....but if he says yes, either that tree will be gone or you will get $1000 in your mailbox
nj2pa2nc (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neighbor is not legally responsible for the car since it's not on his property. Doesn't matter whose tree it is.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:00 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^^ this is something i ask myself:

"whats the worst that would happen?"

he will say "no" right....cool....u paid for the stuff anyway.....but if he says yes, either that tree will be gone or you will get $1000 in your mailbox
true but...if he said no (like he cares), esp about the tree, never mind me paying for the damages to the car, i might lose it and get really and then later....

i honestly don't think he cares about the tree dropping more branches on other people's property. however, i will be watching that tree carefully for anything else falling out of it. i had a thought of: if a branch falls in our yard i'll toss it back over the fence. or collect a mess of fallen branches then toss them all over the fence....its just a thought though.

so how do you prove negligence in caring for a tree?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:17 PM
riding low and steady

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
pics of said tree lol, this guy seems like the stubborn type. have any other neighbors complained about the tree.

Last edited by dontTL'em'nothing; 01-18-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 PM
05 TL NBP 6spd S front

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Glass masters of Fredericksburg VA have the best prices in glass and their glass is great quality.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:28 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by dontTL'em'nothing
pics of said tree lol, this guy seems like the stubborn type. have any other neighbors complained about the tree.

hard to appreciate...but this thing is about 60 feet tall. the first thing the adjuster that came to the house said was "that tree is huge!"

you can see it's been trimmed back, but they forgot to cut one...the one that hit my car!

we're the only neighbor that has direct contact with that tree. the trunk sits like maybe two feet from the fence line. the trunk is easily 18 inches or more. you can't "hug" it so your hands meet on the other side (unless you have the wingspan of a condor).
Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by melvin2816
Glass masters of Fredericksburg VA have the best prices in glass and their glass is great quality.
the shop took care of everything. so whoever they sublet to is who did my windshield. i made sure i got the OEM AP tech glass minus the honda badge. but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Intermediate

You could trim all the branches that overlie your property. That would make a point to your neighbor.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:48 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

all the branches are up in the "canopy of the tree" all the lower branches have been cut down. you need a cherry picker or a tree climber dude to go up and cut them. otherwise ii would LOVE to do that.

need to trim our other neighbor's tree back too. might get our lawn guys to do that one. they hacked at a shrub that was hanging out into the driveway a couple of years ago (only 'cause we asked).

eh...w/e. i just want my car back and in the garage it will go for a little pampering (something about fine scratches vs my porter cable).
Old 01-18-2012, 10:16 PM

that is a big ass tree LOL....i bet it gets bushier in the spring/summer....

OHH yeah and the obligatory "thats what she said"

but yeah tossing the branches over his yard + the leaves shed in the fall would give him a good idea about the mess that tree is causing....
Old 01-19-2012, 05:44 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

a little passive aggressiveness never hurt anybody....or could it?
Old 01-20-2012, 04:35 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Update...finally home.

today was the day...i happily went to pick up my TL at the shop. we pull into the parking lot of the shop and i see my baby parked out front all by itself with three orange cones sitting in front of it to protect the car from any possible idiots from running into the front end. i laughed to myself when i saw it. my shop going the extra mile to make sure no one could possibly come within 2 feet of it. awesome!!

my rep/estimator comes driving by from lunch with a wave sees me looking over the car (she just recently got back into a 3G TL-05 NBP, she had a WDP3G at one time). she comes over and we look over the car...i told her, "nice touch with the cones." she did not want ANYONE near my car and she wouldn't let anyone else drive it. she was diggin' my LED lighting...which she has wanted for her own TL.

there were a few little things that needed to be taken care of...but so far...from what i can tell...the car looks great. i'll know more when the sun comes back out and its not subfreezing out with a threat of snow. the windshield was replaced with the AP tech OEM one minus the honda badge and the car has absolutely ZERO dings in it now. they PDR'd most of the car and even got the ding out of my rear passaenger side door as a courtesy.

i'll have to go back and reapply a few protective products on the car except for the roof and my bumpers for now (90 day curing time....).

i managed to squeeze the car into the garage (as promised...full promotion to garage queen). its tight, but she's in there.

i'll get some pics up when and if the sun pops out...the roof rack will stay off for now (that paint curing thing....).

overall, i'm pleased so far. my body shop .... huge props for taking care of my TL while away from home and understanding my OCD tendencies with it. those are HUGE brownie points with me

now...the final chapter will be if the insurance company gets my $$$ back from the bumper claim from the tow truck company.

thanks for all the support guys and gals. its nice to know the AZ family can feel your pain since we all share one common love, our cars.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Intermediate

I'm glad the TL is home. Now we can go to the Great Falls meet!
Old 01-20-2012, 06:05 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Since they did such a great job of taking care of your baby, do you do something nice for them in return?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Originally Posted by mn2trance
Since they did such a great job of taking care of your baby, do you do something nice for them in return?
I believe it's called - paying the bill.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by mn2trance
Originally Posted by ttribe
^^this.

plus lots of thank you's and appreciation for well done work (except for some left over polish they left on the car which is a real pain to get off....and some minor marring on my passenger side....hopefully my PC will be able to buff those out), word of mouth referrals....and a plug for my rep who really deserves a raise
ttribe (01-21-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 09:43 PM

pix or BS
Old 01-21-2012, 07:42 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

pix or BS
pics of what? it snowed last night here....car is the garage....i wish i had gotten pics of the cone thing....it was hilarious.

maybe my rep will lurk around on AZ, perhaps join our little money pit....she's planning the type-s front and rear conversion (she already has the bumpers, bought the harness for the fogs...bennies of working for a body shop)...she's waiting for the crappy weather to go away...i think (that and she's insanely busy at the shop).

i should link her to my thread...not that she has time to read the whole thing.

i can post pics of the "baby" in for its "facial" as she sits in the garage. the roof and front bumper are nice and shiny...no blemishes. the rest of the car....doing a little "microderm abrasion" to clean up the random fine scratches on the car (mostly spot treat) followed by paint protection treatment (minus the bumpers and roof).

if the weather is all good for the great falls meet...she might come out to play and mingle with her brothers and sisters.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:19 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
That's a given since service was provided. Doing a little goes a long way, just like them placing cones around her car after the work was completed.
^^this.

plus lots of thank you's and appreciation for well done work (except for some left over polish they left on the car which is a real pain to get off....and some minor marring on my passenger side....hopefully my PC will be able to buff those out), word of mouth referrals....and a plug for my rep who really deserves a raise
Nice.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:43 PM

pics of what? it snowed last night here....car is the garage....i wish i had gotten pics of the cone thing....it was hilarious.

maybe my rep will lurk around on AZ, perhaps join our little money pit....she's planning the type-s front and rear conversion (she already has the bumpers, bought the harness for the fogs...bennies of working for a body shop)...she's waiting for the crappy weather to go away...i think (that and she's insanely busy at the shop).

i should link her to my thread...not that she has time to read the whole thing.

i can post pics of the "baby" in for its "facial" as she sits in the garage. the roof and front bumper are nice and shiny...no blemishes. the rest of the car....doing a little "microderm abrasion" to clean up the random fine scratches on the car (mostly spot treat) followed by paint protection treatment (minus the bumpers and roof).

if the weather is all good for the great falls meet...she might come out to play and mingle with her brothers and sisters.
i recommend 3M clear bra on the nose and side rear view mirrors.....it will keep the blemishes off your baby

yeah dont wax or put anything on the bumper + roof for the advised period
Old 01-21-2012, 02:57 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Mini facial all done....

Sorry, no before pics...the car only had some very minor fine scratches in spots all over the car, otherwise, my paint was in pretty good shape-no swirls, but a good number of random fine scratches. the only marring was from when the shop guys were leaning up and rubbing on my passenger side doors first time using the PC on my car (i've done a couple of other cars, but not my TL until now).

My freshly painted and repaired roof:

random scratch free trunk lid:

No more body shop induced marring:

facial all done:

the TL is now undergoing the moisturizer phase (glaze and then LSP) minus my roof and bumpers with fresh paint. need to wait my 90 days....then i can have at it. i can only use quick detailer for now. better than nothing.

ahhhh, the car will be happy and detailed again.

now i need the insurance to get my money back!!!! so i can either pay for toys for the car OR pay for my other hobby.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 01-21-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:32 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
nice to see your baby is back home where she belongs.
Kinda glad the real tall trees we have are all bordering our back yard away from things. Just wish they were not pine trees-falling pine needles, huge pine cones and then when spring arrives pine pollen.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Early Shifter

Yayyyyy.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:39 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^dont' forget the sap!!! the tree in question hangs over our backyard fence line... near where the TL usually gets parked at the end of the driveway towards the backyard.

when i drove her home...i realized how much missed driving her compared to her MDX friend (lumbaring). love it!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:47 PM

she is homeeeeeeeee
Old 01-21-2012, 04:00 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by ohsixMTee
Yayyyyy.
she is homeeeeeeeee
Old 01-21-2012, 04:09 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
omg, she is pretty!
Old 01-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Early Shifter

Haha, some of those smileys crack me up.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:16 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by justnspace
omg, she is pretty!
thanks justn. she still looks naked without the rack on...but love how shiny and almost perfect the paint is...stupid rock chips. can't do anything about those

Originally Posted by ohsixMTee
Haha, some of those smileys crack me up.
love the smilies....
Old 01-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Resident Dingo

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
Glad you got good results out of a bad situation. The car looks very nice!

btw: the rack actually doesn't look bad on the car IMO almost looks like it belongs there.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:25 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by TheDingo
Glad you got good results out of a bad situation. The car looks very nice!

btw: the rack actually doesn't look bad on the car IMO almost looks like it belongs there.
thanks

the roof rack suits my car...its an extension of its owner

just trying to figure out a way to protect the car if i decide to mount the rack back on the car when summer rolls around and the paint finishes doing its business. i'm thinking maybe vinyl wrap pieces on the roof for the rack feet and the upper door trim area for the clips. might look a little weird...but i'd size them so you really couldn't see the vinyl wrap stuck on the car under those areas. i'd really hate to go marring my newly painted/repaired roof. hmmmmm....we'll see.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Intermediate

Did you find any sand or grit under the rack towers? That will chew through vinyl. BTW what's "glaze and LSP"?

Quick Reply: The wind, a branch and my TL.