Type-S WDP Ebony 6MT, mugen-k's updates

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:57 AM
UA7 6MT

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I've been running Type 1 switchbacks without any issues from the cops.
I'm going to be picking up Type 2's this time around though.
VLED's appears to be the only one that stocks 5000K as well.

That box is larger than one for just the front lip.
My guess is its the full A-Spec Package.

Did you opt for the Type-S Front Lip or a different one?
Old 02-25-2012, 07:53 PM
baller on a budget, b!tch

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Nice work!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Have had a few updates to post for a while but haven't had time until today.

Did some small exterior mods and first is the "shaved door handle mod"

before:

after:

Also a piece from overseas...paint matched roof spoiler:

Lastly I finally got my new plates in the mail

Have a few other mods in the work I will also post soon
Old 03-13-2012, 08:17 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
Awesome plate!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Wow, I really like that roof spoiler. Which vendor did you get it from?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Instructor

bmwoemshop

Fitment and color match were right on the money. Easy smooth transaction and only took two days to ship from Taiwan to my front door. Very impressed to say the least.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
How and where did you get the piece to cover up the key hole??
Old 03-14-2012, 04:07 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by mugen-k
bmwoemshop

Fitment and color match were right on the money. Easy smooth transaction and only took two days to ship from Taiwan to my front door. Very impressed to say the least.
Damn. I'm kinda bummed I didn't get mine from them instead. I got mine from aaa.motor and it is color-matched well, but yours if much more aggressive, which I really like.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
How and where did you get the piece to cover up the key hole??
Acura dealership
I actually ordered mind through AckTL05 on here that's a vendor for Curry Acura. Best source to get OEM parts IMO.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ebelp
Damn. I'm kinda bummed I didn't get mine from them instead. I got mine from aaa.motor and it is color-matched well, but yours if much more aggressive, which I really like.
Just realized you posted before I did.

Ya the shape was exactly what I was looking for and it compliments the oem trunk spoiler very well.

Think this pic shows that somewhat:

Old 03-28-2012, 03:16 AM
Instructor

Got some more work done this weekend.

GM Synchromesh was the first step in making my shifter set up solid but had a few more improvements to get it 100%.

Hybrid-racing shifter cable bushings and shifter base bushings
Comptech Short Shifter adapter

Removed:

Short shifter installed:

Comparison of base bushings:

To finish it off I recently picked up two new shift knobs

New Mugen Carbon Fiber weighted and Limited Mugen CR-Z edition black anodized SS:

CF kind of matches the oem faux cf trim of the center console:

Will be buying the add on trim pieces for the heater switches and cup holder area soon.

Still getting used to everything being so solid but fairly impressed so far.

I've kind of gotten carried away lately with shift knobs:

And have had an addition to Ti recently:

Old 03-28-2012, 06:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
holly Mugen, I love the CF knob lol.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Like the new car Will!!! I just picked up an 06 RL myself. Looking good so far.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Nice pick up. The RL was definitely my second choice but figured the TL-S was a better fit for me. Makes sense for you thought with the kid and all.

Treating you well so far? Your cousin had one a while ago right?

Still have the s2k right?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:43 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet Ride
Old 04-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
You truly do have the best combo with WDP and 6mt.. Jealous to say the least lol. Great progress too , you make me want to change my knob.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:49 AM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Dpat
You truly do have the best combo with WDP and 6mt.. Jealous to say the least lol. Great progress too , you make me want to change my knob.
But sir, you have the 5AT.

Car looks great btw! Moar pics of mugen.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dpat
Agreed I think after driving it everyday I take for granted the rarity of the combo (despite what I went through to find and get it). Can't really imagine if I had settled for anything else and just wouldn't be the same.

Thanks and just trying to keep it simple but can't help upgrading a few things here and there. Definitely more to come though. For the most part I'm pretty happy with the car as-is to be honest. No doubt I made the right choice with the S or otherwise I'd be trying to convert a base if I got one.

I'd recommend it even though there isn't anything wrong with oem. Depending on what you go with there are benefits of weight and shape in addition to aesthetic reasons.

Plus it's nice to change it up from time to time to keep things interesting. I mean who wears the same tie everyday right?

Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
Car looks great btw! Moar pics of mugen.
Thanks and more to come
Old 04-03-2012, 02:31 PM
SOLD

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Great car/mods so far Mugen-k! If the photo of your old engine bay is in any way a representation of what's to come on the TL, we're in for a killer thread.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
great looking car and great mods! i have a base 04 6MT and wish they had a type S.. but then again part of the fun I am having is modding it up to catch a Type-S and hopefully beyond

question, where did you find those hybrid racing bushings? are they RSX bushings that work in the TL? I could not find anything other than corsport
Old 04-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LaJay007
Great car/mods so far Mugen-k! If the photo of your old engine bay is in any way a representation of what's to come on the TL, we're in for a killer thread.
Haha, well the plan/intention of buying the car wasn't to have another "project" car (or else I would have opted for an S2K or even a TSX instead) but rather upgrade my daily driver.

However that certainly doesn't mean I can't have a bit of fun with it and add my own "touch" with a few tasteful mods here and there.

Originally Posted by FCVadi
great looking car and great mods! i have a base 04 6MT and wish they had a type S.. but then again part of the fun I am having is modding it up to catch a Type-S and hopefully beyond

question, where did you find those hybrid racing bushings? are they RSX bushings that work in the TL? I could not find anything other than corsport
Nothing wrong with a base and if I did want a project car I'd probably get one as well to save money so I would have more to spend on upgraded mods making it even better than a type-s. If anything getting a type-s ruins the fun and kind of like cheating/taking a short cut.

With my project car I bought every JDM part available for it and after all said and done it would of been wiser to just buy the whole car from Japan as is with all the parts I wanted already on it. Or course it wouldn't have been nearly as fun though.

At least you have a 6MT and that alone makes it a great platform to start with type-s or not.

You can get the shifter bushings from hybrid-racing directly:

http://www.hybrid-racing.com/store/p...-bushings.html

The ones I got were for an 02-06 RSX and 01-06 Civic Si

I have a few of their parts for my project car so they were obviously my first choice to get parts for the TL.

Only thing is I wish I waited until they came out with black anodize that are available now versus the gold I got (even though you don't ever see it in the engine bay) but that's just cause I'm picky. Still works the same and just as good which is what's important.

I read some reviews about the Corsports and they actually recommened against them because they are just a solid bushing and limit the degrees of freedom needed for a shifter bushing. I've heard they are actually a downgrade from OEM. Hybrid-racing ones have a spherical bearing to add that second required degree of freedom.

If you want more info feel free to pm me.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice pick up. The RL was definitely my second choice but figured the TL-S was a better fit for me. Makes sense for you thought with the kid and all.

Treating you well so far? Your cousin had one a while ago right?

Still have the s2k right?
Thanks, yeah I was looking at a TL-S but it made more sense for me to go with the RL since I'm getting another bike. No, no more S2K...
Old 04-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
I read some reviews about the Corsports and they actually recommened against them because they are just a solid bushing and limit the degrees of freedom needed for a shifter bushing. I've heard they are actually a downgrade from OEM. Hybrid-racing ones have a spherical bearing to add that second required degree of freedom.
I have read that hybrid is better than corsport and for the exact reason you mentioned.. good to know!

I am with you on time spent/amount spent versus just buying it from Japan

but you are right it wouldnt be as much fun, I enjoy messing with my car, the reasearch and education I get from all these sites and actually applying it to something I own.. I guess one would call it a hobby

I know I do annoy my wife sometimes with all of this but she realizes if I aint messing with my car then I will be in the house annoying her even more
Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 AM
UA7 6MT

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Let me know how the bushings feel for you.
I wasn't able to make a decision to go with either Hybrid or Corsport so I held off.
It seems though that Marcus @ HeelToe recommends the Hybrid ones.

TWM also appears to make bushings for our cars as well but no one seems to have reviewed them.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Instructor

They feel better and noticed reduced slop/play in the shifter. Shifts are more crisp as well. Closer to the feeling I have in my other car with a shifter box and cable trans.

All the reviews of corsport I found by HeelToe were all changed to recommend Hybrid instead once they were released and tested.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice clean ride! i just got the same roof spoiler in today.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Haven't had any updates for the past month or so but still enjoying the car on a daily basis

First off I finally installed my A-spec kit after buying it on during the group buy back in February. That's what was in the box in this post:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=76

I was so excited to put it on right away but kept putting it off weekend after weekend. Finally stopped slacking this past weekend and went to work

Bought a new DSLR camera as well and trying to get the hang of it and learning to take better pics.

Here's a few I have now but still learning

Random:

Also while installing the kit and removing the rear wheels to take off the rear bumper and side skirts I figured it be a good time to install the Project Kics 20mm spacers I bought a while ago.

Improved fitment compared to stock but think I may end up stepping up to a 25mm instead if a decent pair pops up FS:

Made sure to coat all studs with anti-seize and torqued to spec of course

Also another impulsive buy that I installed the same weekend was a carbon fiber interior trim kit.

Now I honestly liked the stock interior as is (not at first but eventually) and didn't plan on doing anything besides LEDs, Pedals, Shift knob (which I ended up going overboard with) and maybe in the future A-spec steering wheel.

Anyway at first I was worried the trims might be cheesy and take away from the classy look of the interior. My justification was I was only going to cover where there was factory faux CF trim (center console and door panels) with real weave CF but not go crazy and try to wrap everything possible.

More to come and still have plenty of parts sitting waiting to be put on...
Old 05-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Haven't had any updates for the past month or so but still enjoying the car on a daily basis

First off I finally installed my A-spec kit after buying it on during the group buy back in February. That's what was in the box in this post:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=76

I was so excited to put it on right away but kept putting it off weekend after weekend. Finally stopped slacking this past weekend and went to work

Bought a new DSLR camera as well and trying to get the hang of it and learning to take better pics.

Here's a few I have now but still learning

Also while installing the kit and removing the rear wheels to take off the rear bumper and side skirts I figured it be a good time to install the Project Kics 20mm spacers I bought a while ago.

Improved fitment compared to stock but think I may end up stepping up to a 25mm instead if a decent pair pops up FS:

Made sure to coat all studs with anti-seize and torqued to spec of course

Also another impulsive buy that I installed the same weekend was a carbon fiber interior trim kit.

Now I honestly liked the stock interior as is (not at first but eventually) and didn't plan on doing anything besides LEDs, Pedals, Shift knob (which I ended up going overboard with) and maybe in the future A-spec steering wheel.

Anyway at first I was worried the trims might be cheesy and take away from the classy look of the interior. My justification was I was only going to cover where there was factory faux CF trim (center console and door panels) with real weave CF but not go crazy and try to wrap everything possible.

More to come and still have plenty of parts sitting waiting to be put on...
car is coming along nicely, very clean. the carbon fiber trim kit looks great, where'd you get it?
The following users liked this post:
turtlecivic (05-25-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 02:44 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Nice mods man.

I'm loving those Ti bolts and nuts. Who makes them?

Looking forward to more updates.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:50 AM
SOLD

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
OP: What CF interior trim kit did you go with?
Old 05-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Nice progress! It's so white that I don't know if you have the 3M clear bra on the front bumper and part of the hood or not. Looks like it's turning head!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LaJay007
OP: What CF interior trim kit did you go with?
Originally Posted by skd2k1
car is coming along nicely, very clean. the carbon fiber trim kit looks great, where'd you get it?
Thanks,

Someone was selling the kit in the classifieds/black market, hence the impulsive buy

I believe its made by Remin (or at least that's what it said on the box) and can be purchased on carid.com

I only have the manual transmission optional kit but they offer more complete trim kits in many types of finishes.

Quality and fitment is great and I'd recommend it if you're possibly looking to buy

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Nice mods man.

I'm loving those Ti bolts and nuts. Who makes them?

Looking forward to more updates.
Thanks. Baller bolts. I can vouche for the quality but will warn you about the customer service. My order took a while to receive with very little communication up until a week before I received them.

Could of just been timing and believe the guy was sick during that period (placed the order before christmas). Everything eventually worked out and he did come through but I wouldn't advise placing an order if you're in a rush. At least without asking about turn around time first.

Thanks and hopefully more will come.

Been following your build, or at least the picture updates, for quite some time and it keeps getting better

I just got a new camera and already having fun taking pics and learning how to use it better. I can understand why you're addicted

Originally Posted by bouncer07
Nice progress! It's so white that I don't know if you have the 3M clear bra on the front bumper and part of the hood or not. Looks like it's turning head!
Thanks.

No clear bra even though I'd like to. I'd probably want to respray before doing it but I know that will lead to trouble since I'll want other parts repainted which will eventually lead to repainting the whole car. Not quite ready to do all that just yet.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:00 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice ride!
Hey, did you do the suspension install yourself? If so, was it hard, howd you do it? Where did you get the springs from and how much did they lower the car? Sorry for all the questions, I just went through your whole Type-S testimony.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:17 AM
Instructor

posted my brand new Supercomputers MT pedal set and White LED door sill set in the classifieds/black market:

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/supercomputers-mt-pedal-set-led-door-sills-white-brand-new-872511/
Old 10-30-2012, 10:36 PM
JustEnjoyThis.

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
man, where did you get those arc winglets?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 AM
k1x
rocking my vs-sexx!!!

Received 122 Likes on 108 Posts
+1
Old 10-31-2012, 01:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lovelifee
man, where did you get those arc winglets?
Originally Posted by k1x
+1
I bought them and a few other sets for my other car a while ago. Didn't end up using them and they were just sitting in my collection of parts so decided to put them on the TL with the a-spec kit.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:09 AM
k1x
rocking my vs-sexx!!!

Received 122 Likes on 108 Posts
from what car did you had that splitters? theres a knockoff one at ebay but its compatible for tl's..
Old 10-31-2012, 04:02 AM
Instructor

They are intended for a DC2 Integra.

Here they are on a 04-06 a-spec

Old 10-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Those actually don't look bad at all.

Quick Reply: Type-S WDP Ebony 6MT, mugen-k's updates