TL vs GS400 Styling

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 05:30 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL vs GS400 Styling

I was out taking some photos over the weekend and thought this was kind of an interesting comparison.....the new 3G TL 04-06 vs the Lexus GS series 98-04 (GS400 in this case, or the Aristo V400 as I have it labeled) (note...the Aristo is the Toyota version of the GS series in Japan so I rebadged it) Very similar body lines, looks, ect. (not that BMW and everybody else doesnt have their version too!) Anyway...here is the side by side comparison....

I know they are different (oil and water)...so dont flame me here...but the styling and body lines are VERY similar.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, but I dont see any similiarities except the color. ??
Old 11-16-2005, 06:13 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I think they have the typical "both are Japanese cars" resemblance.

Edit: Which is faster?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Safety Car

there is almost no resemblance except for the color. the GS much more stout than the TL. Like the other poster said only thing is the color.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:21 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TL is looking much better! I like the quality of lexus cars but not the designs.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:56 AM
B A N N E D

Really....I kind of thought they had similar body lines and inspiration? I was kind of suprised how similar they were....yes....you are right...the lexus is a bigger car by a bit...but the overall lines and shape are very similar.

As for which one is fastest...have never raced em as I cant drive both and would never let my buddy drive the other car (he already states the addage "drive it like its somebody elses! all the time) and they drive significantly different. Right off, my thinking would be the Lexus would win as it has a 4.0 V8 and does "feel" like it kicks harder/longer, so the Acura is a bit outpowered....but I bet I could keep up with it fairly good till about 80 mpg or so....the Lexus is a heavier car too....so it has its weight to pull which evens the score a bit till you go top ending. As for which one I would rather drive.....I drive the Acura guys! Fiancee drives the Lexus. The Lexus seems so "basic" to me when I get in it anymore? I dont give a crap who those Lexus people think they are! The TL has it pinned hands down as far as creature comforts go!
Old 11-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I can see some similarities in the lines, particularly the roof, windows, rear window, notchy back end, and spoiler. Look at pics 1 and 2.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Racer

Talking

The 1st Gen of the Lexus GS was a design actually made for Jaguar (by, I believe an Italian designer Pinafarina <sp>, now the root of the Lexus L-Finesse IS, GS and soon LS), which Jaguar passed on, and Lexus took it.

I believe the root of the TL design was a nod to Alfa. So maybe some Italian vs. Italian similarities???

Many 'cues' in styling are similar, but I a see them on many cars. If one design or styling cue proves popular, you will see it copied into other designs. How long before we see a Kia with an Aspec - like kit?

Lets just hope there is no return of coach lamps, opera windows and padded vinyl roofs!
Old 11-17-2005, 11:49 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by TampaMike
The 1st Gen of the Lexus GS was a design actually made for Jaguar (by, I believe an Italian designer), which Jaguar passed on, and Lexus took it.

I believe the root of the TL design was a nod to Alfa. So maybe some Italian vs. Italian similarities???

Many 'cues' in styling are similar, but I a see them on many cars. If one design or styling cue proves popular, you will see it copied into other designs. How long before we see a Kia with an Aspec - like kit?

Lets just hope there is no return of coach lamps, opera windows and padded vinyl roofs!
Dont forget curb feelers Mike! (lol)
Old 11-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by A-Spec Guy
Dont forget curb feelers Mike! (lol)
You two have no appreciation for the finer things in life...

Old 11-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Racer

Talking

The whitewalls are a bit too slim for my taste.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:00 PM
B A N N E D

The whitewalls are a bit too slim for my taste.
Agreed.....heres some to top those! (found on net...still laughing)

Old 11-17-2005, 03:14 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Agreed.....heres some to top those! (found on net...still laughing)
Pleeeeeease!! That's your other car sitting in your back yard I swear, some people

And I'm sure everyone knows this (although we wouldn't want to admit it), but most mid-size cars look alike. Pick any close together model year mid-size cars and they have a lot of similar lines...3G TL, GS, G35, Accord...Lincoln LS, Mitsu Diamante, 2G TL...the list of non corporate twins that resemble each other goes on and on...even extends to SUV's and small cars. No mainstream car company wants to be too far from what the norm in the market is...witness the Aztek.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:01 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Pleeeeeease!! That's your other car sitting in your back yard I swear, some people

And I'm sure everyone knows this (although we wouldn't want to admit it), but most mid-size cars look alike. Pick any close together model year mid-size cars and they have a lot of similar lines...3G TL, GS, G35, Accord...Lincoln LS, Mitsu Diamante, 2G TL...the list of non corporate twins that resemble each other goes on and on...even extends to SUV's and small cars. No mainstream car company wants to be too far from what the norm in the market is...witness the Aztek.
Good point chill_dog! There is a lot of clones out there that are alike....guess I just never gave it much thought.......

Nah...I dont go like that....dumped all Cadillacs/Boat-rides a while back ago! I take that back...what am I saying....(lol) I do have an old 92 Fleetwood Brougham out in the parking lot here at the office......I forgot! Damn....and it does have opera lights and a vinyl top I think!...now I gotta take the pic for ya...here let me run out there real quick and show you this HOOPTY! You will get a REAL kick out of this classic.....Doh...camera at home! Damn....maybe later! (lol)
Old 11-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Good point chill_dog! There is a lot of clones out there that are alike....guess I just never gave it much thought.......

Nah...I dont go like that....dumped all Cadillacs/Boat-rides a while back ago! I take that back...what am I saying....(lol) I do have an old 92 Fleetwood Brougham out in the parking lot here at the office......I forgot! Damn....and it does have opera lights and a vinyl top I think!...now I gotta take the pic for ya...here let me run out there real quick and show you this HOOPTY! You will get a REAL kick out of this classic.....Doh...camera at home! Damn....maybe later! (lol)
That's you?!?!?!

Old 11-17-2005, 04:43 PM
B A N N E D

OH god...thats probably WAY nicer than mine! I got mine for cheap cheap cheap to haul a motocross trailer. (7000# towing cap) Same body though, and I think mine is poop brown w/ velour! (can you tell I ignore the fact its out there?) lol I think I have used it to transport a coffee table home from the furniture store and took it to the motocross track to ride twice in the time I have owned it. By the way, for the bargain price of $1200...it could be in your yard tomorrow instead of our office parking lot! I have only done ONE donut in it at the track upon arriving....I swear! Hoopty Time! God....we ought to start a thread and see who has the biggest hoopty in their ownership! What a prize that would be!
Old 11-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Racer

You two need to get out your plaid polyester shorts, sandals with black socks and white vinyl belts and cruise your pimp-mobiles to St Petersburg where you can catch up with your brothers at the early bird special of the Golden Corral then onto some Bingo.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:48 PM
B A N N E D

You two need to get out your plaid polyester shorts, sandals with black socks and white vinyl belts and cruise your pimp-mobiles to St Petersburg where you can catch up with your brothers at the early bird special of the Golden Corral then onto some Bingo.
Can you hear me laughing from all the way over there>>?

I actually traded in a 1998 Deville on my Acura! Talk about senior citizen! It even had Vogue rims and tires on it!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

That scene's where the action's at! And even if I lose at Bingo, all the ladies will want to ride in my Caddy...bench seat, baby!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:03 PM
B A N N E D

See....not every thread around here turns to a flamefest! Now we're havin fun!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Racer

Oh yeah...ladies lined up at Bingo waiting for you...

I can see them now, blue tinted hair, leopard halter tops, sequined cat-eye specs, AARP issue fanny pack, rockport walking sneakers, and the voice deeper than a Marine with a Marlboro hanging from the lipstick caked, cracked lips.

Yep, those chicks never give a TL a second glance. You guys will have them on you like liver spots.

Let me know when you make that St Pete trip...I can rustle up some coupons for ya.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
As for which one is fastest...have never raced em as I cant drive both and would never let my buddy drive the other car (he already states the addage "drive it like its somebody elses! all the time) and they drive significantly different. Right off, my thinking would be the Lexus would win as it has a 4.0 V8 and does "feel" like it kicks harder/longer, so the Acura is a bit outpowered....but I bet I could keep up with it fairly good till about 80 mpg or so....the Lexus is a heavier car too....so it has its weight to pull which evens the score a bit till you go top ending. As for which one I would rather drive.....I drive the Acura guys! Fiancee drives the Lexus. The Lexus seems so "basic" to me when I get in it anymore? I dont give a crap who those Lexus people think they are! The TL has it pinned hands down as far as creature comforts go!
Holy hubcaps!! The GS400 gets 80 miles per gallon???

That's it, I'm trading in the TL.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Holy hubcaps!! The GS400 gets 80 miles per gallon???

That's it, I'm trading in the TL.
He's old Sebring. He can't see past his Coke-Bottle-Bottom glasses and cataracts. Cut him some slack or he may mess the Depends. He may very well be the poor old guy that had a pedestrian impaled in his windshield and drove for miles before a tollbooth worker stopped him. That poor old guy said the body fell from the sky.

Truth is, someone questioned the 80 mpg and he got run down.

I wanna save your from the same fate.

And while you are at it.....don't question the massage-bead driver seat cover and tennis ball on the antenna dome to assist finding the car in the Red Lobster parking lot durin' Shrimp Fest month.

mmmmKAYYY?
Old 11-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

I think Mike's speaking from experience here, guys, so you better listen up. :killer: At least once a week he mentions the early bird special at GC...I think he's one of those 40 some year old guys with gray hair that shows up there at 4:30 scaming the senior discount...he's a pro...just living in FL doesn't bestow as much knowledge as he seems to have.

Now Mike, you said something about blue hairs with husky voices...as long as they pinch cheeks and call me sonny, I'm all over it! I'll bring some buy one get one free coupons, you make it happen...but leave the TL at home...bring the Lincoln.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:57 AM
Racer

Talking

Considering the retirees in Tampa / St Pete they don't call this "God's Waiting Room" for nuthin! Heck, didn't you see Cocoon?

I am a ROFL (Registered Old Fart Loser). I get 25% off before 5pm. My childhood inspiration were the 2 old coots in the balcony of the Muppet Show (Waldorf & Astoria?)

OK, you are onto me!

How else did you think I 'earned' enough to buy the TL? Love em' and steal the Social Security check.

Oh yeah...this month it is Red Lobster. GC does NOT have Shrimp Fest!

NEXT!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:05 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

I always thought those two old guys were the best ones on the show...they're hilarious!

Red Lobster it is, I'll get my bib!!