New stereo install and interior build......

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:40 AM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New stereo install and interior build......

I have been working the past few weeks after work on re-building the stereo and interior of my TL. I still have a little ways to go; Bride Gias carbon-backed seats reupholstered in black leather with oem-colormatched beige alcantara center sections and beige stitching with matching rear seat, full custom trunk build to accommodate all my amps, x-overs, distribution blocks, and whatnot. I'm also switching most of the beige trim peices to black. I want to change the overall interior color from full beige to black, with beige alcantara accents. I plan to switch all the door panels, rocker covers, weather stripping, lower dash and other trim peices to black. I covered the door cards of my factory beige door panels with some black alcantara I had laying around just to get me by until I source the rest of my black trim peices. I will be covering the door cards of the black door panels I get with the same colored beige alcantara the centers of my seats will be done in. Also, I covered all of the silver trim and nasty woodgrain in 3M Di-Noc. Really cool stuff! I made a couple gauge pods housing a volt meter and air/fuel gauges too and wrapped them in Di-Noc. I know the air/fuel gauges aren't accurate, but I just couldn't justify spending almost $300 on a wideband when I don't need one. I just have always liked the look of that light bouncing back and fourth around the gauge. I also modified the rear package tray to fit the matching Eclipse speakers I installed in the front doors/dash along with a couple matching Eclipse subwoofers. You can only see one of the 12's. The other is hidden on the bottom side of the box with the ports venting through where the factory rear defrost vents are(the beige plastic vents in the last two pictures). I still have a ways to go, but I'm getting shit done pretty swiftly. I still have a couple months before the gravel is off the road, and my car is back on it, so I am in no hurry. Let me know what you guys think

And yes; I know my car is filthy right now, but thank god I own a auto accessory and detail shop! As soon as the work is done, I have a good 8-10 hours of cleaning

Check out my custom molded deck install in the upper dash door. The factory Navi is still 100% functionable, with the exception of that annoying lady's turn-by-turn directions. The head unit screen is folded in and retracted in this picture, but the screen folds out and fits very cleanly.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Good shit!

but there are too many different colors in there!!!!!!
tan, black, a faded black, and di-noc.....sadly it doesnt match
Old 02-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
looks good!

why did u go with Eclipse subs though? Just curious
Old 02-25-2011, 11:55 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by justnspace
Good shit!

but there are too many different colors in there!!!!!!
tan, black, a faded black, and di-noc.....sadly it doesnt match
looks faded, just dusty as f*ck. I know she needs a good cleaning....

Originally Posted by Flipster23
looks good!

why did u go with Eclipse subs though? Just curious

uh, I take it you are being sarcastic....
Old 02-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Team Owner

no why Eclipse when u have alot of other good sounding brands out there...
Old 02-25-2011, 12:26 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Flipster23
no why Eclipse when u have alot of other good sounding brands out there...

I think Eclipse has some of the most quality sounding and built speakers available without spending a small fortune. I'm not crazy about their newer amplifiers, but I love their upper-line speakers. They take a beating and keep sounding great, years later. Also, I get killer pricing through my distributor. Let me tell you; these 3-way sets really, really put out some low, loud, clean bass. You wouldn't beleive they are only 6 1/2" drivers. The mids and highs are also rediculously smooth and detailed. I am running each set of speakers with their own Memphis Mclass mca300's. Bottom line; I don't know how $1,000 makes a lot of those "other good sounding brand's" speakers that much better. I can't hear the $900 difference between them and my Eclipse speakers

Last edited by Black/White; 02-25-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Lets see a pic of the deck screen folded out. Does the shifter hit the screen and does the screen cover up the stock radio. And why do you still have the stock radio?
Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Team Owner

O thats cool

Yea I'm in the market for some subs that want break the bank also
Old 02-25-2011, 12:53 PM
B A N N E D

What have you been looking at?
Old 02-25-2011, 12:56 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by myron
Lets see a pic of the deck screen folded out. Does the shifter hit the screen and does the screen cover up the stock radio. And why do you still have the stock radio?
Here is a picture of the deck off some website(oldly, but goody):

http://autogadget.com.my/category/pr...ils.aspx?id=87
Old 02-25-2011, 12:59 PM
B A N N E D

The guy must be crazy selling it for that much? That's just stupid....
Old 02-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Black/White
What have you been looking at?
Older RE's, SSA

what model Eclipse is that?
Old 02-25-2011, 01:04 PM
B A N N E D

SW6210 x2 subs, and the 2 sets of 3-ways are SC8365. front and rear
Old 02-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
What gauge pods are those? i have been looking at getting some for my wideband and boost gauge. they fit great!

Also is that a free air sub in the rear deck?
Old 02-25-2011, 01:45 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Comptechtl2367
What gauge pods are those? i have been looking at getting some for my wideband and boost gauge. they fit great!

Also is that a free air sub in the rear deck?

I made the pods and wrapped them in Di-Noc. The box is fully enclosed and vented. One sub fires up through the package tray, and the other fires down towards the ground on the bottom of the box.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts
interior work is in the works for me as well this year, cant wait to see finished pics!
Old 02-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
What did you make the pods out of?
Old 02-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
take shots of the trunk.. id like to see how that sub magnet hangs down
Old 02-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmm...Sorry, but I dont like it. It looks like the black fabric on the door panels is done sloppy (1st pic, by the grab handle on the door, 3rd pic, by the fold out compartment.) I dont care for how the door speakers fit in the factory locations. IE round speaker and oval factory alum trim ring. And I would imagine you have wiring in the fold out door compartments showing when u look down in, unless u have some sort of false floor built.

I am also not a fan of the aluminum strips you upholstered on either side of the radio. I dont think the rear deck is done (I hope not), but the fabric doesn' t appear to lay nicely and wtf is up with around the sub?

Eclipse is top notch stuff though.

normally, I wouldnt have said anything and Im not trying to be an ass.. but you did say "Let me know what you guys think".
Old 02-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Team Owner

I'll have to look into Eclipse
Old 02-25-2011, 06:54 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by 4play
Originally Posted by Dino81
Hmmm...Sorry, but I dont like it. It looks like the black fabric on the door panels is done sloppy (1st pic, by the grab handle on the door, 3rd pic, by the fold out compartment.) I dont care for how the door speakers fit in the factory locations. IE round speaker and oval factory alum trim ring. And I would imagine you have wiring in the fold out door compartments showing when u look down in, unless u have some sort of false floor built.

I am also not a fan of the aluminum strips you upholstered on either side of the radio. I dont think the rear deck is done (I hope not), but the fabric doesn' t appear to lay nicely and wtf is up with around the sub?

Eclipse is top notch stuff though.

normally, I wouldnt have said anything and Im not trying to be an ass.. but you did say "Let me know what you guys think".
No need to be sorry dude. I have a lot of adjusting, tucking, trim work, and other odds and ends to take care of still. The door cards have not been glued around the outside notch yet so they do look sloppy, for now.

I had to use the Eclipse grills on the doors because I had to run a 1/2" spacer due to the fact the magnets are maaaaasssssive and need more depth clearance, inside the door, than the door has(the magnet would hit the window track inside the door). With the 1/2" spacer, the woofer cone/surround would hit the factory oval speaker grill at full excusion. The grill really gives the the cone/surround room to move.

I have the x-over just laying in the door pocket right now untill I decide where to mount them, cleanly. Either stashed in the door, sealed obviously to keep the elements out, or on display in the trunk with the x-overs for the rear speakers.

The trim peices on either side of the radio are done in matching alcantara to the door cards, headliner and pillers. I am planning on re-doing them in Di-Noc. If I would have left them that aluminum color, they wouldn't match anything because I used Di-Noc to cover the rest of the interior's aluminum trim and woodgrain.

The package tray is not even close to done either. There is an aluminum trim ring I am making to fit around the subwoofer opening to match the rest of the speaker trim rings.

Thanks for your input dude, but I never understood why people have to try and talk down to other people when they give their opinions. Does it just make you feel better about yourself when you make those comments? i.e. "and wtf is up with around the sub?","(I hope not)", etc. There a thousand ways to give your opinion, why try and be a dick about it? Does it make you think your projects are perfect? You are doing a lot of judging when the car is still taken apart and under construction.

Bottom line bro; there is no need to try and be a dick. If you want to give me your opinion, or anyone else on the Zine, try being positive. I'd like to think we are all friends here and you are acting like the asshole friend that tries to make you look bad in front of girls to boost their own self-estem...
Old 02-25-2011, 07:02 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by 4play

I haven't even started on the trunk yet. Here are some FINISHED(Is the quality up to your standards Dino81????) trunk set-ups I have had in the TL in the past(in order from early until the current re-build:

Old 02-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how did u do this im trying to do it but I keep messing up at the buttons ..im not doint it over the real cf tho jus the silver trim 0_o

Last edited by donny0391; 02-25-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:13 PM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
Haha I left my sunroof cover un-sueded as well. Its a bitch to take out.

You should paint the grab handles on the headliner black like I did though. It may help with any flow issues in your interior.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks good, man, but the tweeter being flush mounted looks to be off centered? or is it jus me?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
As for your progress, so far so good, considering you're not 100% done with it. At least you're being original. In for pics of the finished project.

How the hell is your interior so damn dusty?! Did you drive through a sand storm with the windows down?
Old 02-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
What do you plan on doing with the handles to match the roof?? Paint? Wrap?
Old 02-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
No need to be sorry dude. I have a lot of adjusting, tucking, trim work, and other odds and ends to take care of still. The door cards have not been glued around the outside notch yet so they do look sloppy, for now.

I had to use the Eclipse grills on the doors because I had to run a 1/2" spacer due to the fact the magnets are maaaaasssssive and need more depth clearance, inside the door, than the door has(the magnet would hit the window track inside the door). With the 1/2" spacer, the woofer cone/surround would hit the factory oval speaker grill at full excusion. The grill really gives the the cone/surround room to move.

I have the x-over just laying in the door pocket right now untill I decide where to mount them, cleanly. Either stashed in the door, sealed obviously to keep the elements out, or on display in the trunk with the x-overs for the rear speakers.

The trim peices on either side of the radio are done in matching alcantara to the door cards, headliner and pillers. I am planning on re-doing them in Di-Noc. If I would have left them that aluminum color, they wouldn't match anything because I used Di-Noc to cover the rest of the interior's aluminum trim and woodgrain.

The package tray is not even close to done either. There is an aluminum trim ring I am making to fit around the subwoofer opening to match the rest of the speaker trim rings.

Thanks for your input dude, but I never understood why people have to try and talk down to other people when they give their opinions. Does it just make you feel better about yourself when you make those comments? i.e. "and wtf is up with around the sub?","(I hope not)", etc. There a thousand ways to give your opinion, why try and be a dick about it? Does it make you think your projects are perfect? You are doing a lot of judging when the car is still taken apart and under construction.

Bottom line bro; there is no need to try and be a dick. If you want to give me your opinion, or anyone else on the Zine, try being positive. I'd like to think we are all friends here and you are acting like the asshole friend that tries to make you look bad in front of girls to boost their own self-estem...
I hear ya man, and I wasn't trying to be a dick or condescending or negative. So please don't take it that way. IMO Idid say my opinion nicely, as I coulda been wayy more negative.. but enuf of that.

I totally understand the magnet being to big and the window hitting it, been there done that many times, but just not on my tl.

I think the dinoc on the aluminum will look much better! Your finished installs look great too, we have similar tastes in audio, as I am a memphis fan too. Can't wait to see more progress bro!
Old 02-28-2011, 11:55 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by donny0391
how did u do this im trying to do it but I keep messing up at the buttons ..im not doint it over the real cf tho jus the silver trim 0_o
How did I do what brotha?

Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
Haha I left my sunroof cover un-sueded as well. Its a bitch to take out.

You should paint the grab handles on the headliner black like I did though. It may help with any flow issues in your interior.
I am going to swtich out all the grab handles, seat belts and trim, etc for oem black peices. I think by dying/painting them they would wear quickly and look like poo.

Originally Posted by Nick337
Looks good, man, but the tweeter being flush mounted looks to be off centered? or is it jus me?
They are, I didn't want them centered. I think I have changed my mind though. I think I am going to cover a new set of oem tweeter grills in black speaker grill cloth(really thin, black cloth that comes on a lot of home audio speakers).

Originally Posted by jptl04
As for your progress, so far so good, considering you're not 100% done with it. At least you're being original. In for pics of the finished project.

How the hell is your interior so damn dusty?! Did you drive through a sand storm with the windows down?
Thanks for the compliments bro.

The car has been sitting in the corner of my shop for the last 3 months with no cover and windows down. I didn't realize that my windows have been down this whole time while I'm always sanding, cutting, sweeping, backpack-blowing and doing other messy projects.

Originally Posted by Netforcer
What do you plan on doing with the handles to match the roof?? Paint? Wrap?
Switch to oem black peices.

I hear ya man, and I wasn't trying to be a dick or condescending or negative. So please don't take it that way. IMO Idid say my opinion nicely, as I coulda been wayy more negative.. but enuf of that.

I totally understand the magnet being to big and the window hitting it, been there done that many times, but just not on my tl.

I think the dinoc on the aluminum will look much better! Your finished installs look great too, we have similar tastes in audio, as I am a memphis fan too. Can't wait to see more progress bro!
Thanks for the clarification.

I think I am going to cover a new set of oem tweeter grills with some thin, black speaker grill cloth and ditch the silver fluch mounts. Since all of the aluminum trim has been covered, I don't see why I painted all of the speaker trim silver. I also think im going to remove those big, bulky, ugly woofer grills on the door and cover the opening in the same speaker grill cloth i plan to use on the tweeter grills. Do you think that would look cleaner?

Example:

Before:

After(quickly done with the paint program) :

Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 PM
B A N N E D

I will probably cover the mid's grills too to keep the flow. I think that speaker grill cloth will hlep clean up the install of the speakers. I hate that the grills that came with the speakers stick out, but I need the clearance. I also don't like how they are round and don't flow with the oval speaker oem grills. I think some grill cloth could solve my issue.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:13 PM
B A N N E D

I think the dinoc on the aluminum will look much better!

I agree about doing Di-Noc on the radio trim.

What do you think about getting my dash wrapped in black alcantara when I get my seats reupholstered???
Old 02-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I agree about doing Di-Noc on the radio trim.

What do you think about getting my dash wrapped in black alcantara when I get my seats reupholstered???
I think it would be nice if it was a quality install. Maybe throw some stitching in there like some high end cars. I think that would be real nice actually. I am just not sure that the TL is at the level of alcantera dashboard
Old 02-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While im sure it sounds good, im not a big fan of the over all look of the install.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:11 PM
6th Gear

look good