New fenders

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New fenders

Here's the story. I had some rubbing issues on the front fenders and took my car to a shop (Element Motorsports) in Tempe, AZ because they said they "roll fenders all the time". The owner even showed me his car (Lexus) and the end result of rolling his fenders looked really good. So, I said, why not. Well the end result of mine is now I have to get to new fenders because not only did the shop roll the lip of the car, but he put so much pressure on my front fenders he flared them out.

Let me try to paint a mental picture, along with some posted pics so you can get the idea. The fenders flared out so badly that about an inch of fender is diving inwards at about a 24 degree angle and that piece meets the bumper and looks terrible. So if you are standing in front of my car and look at the lines you can actually see like a "V" shape of where the line of the bumper meets the now so badly flared out fenders.

Legal action, I don't know if I have any since it was my choice to get this done. But if anything they will get reported to the BBB.

I posted some photos, which I hope will shed a little light on what I was talking about.

Thanks for letting me rant.... The car goes into the body shop on Monday. $2500 to repair front fenders and basically repaint the car from front to where the driver and passenger doors end.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:54 PM
steeez

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
youre not paying the 2500 right? the shop should be liable for their mistake. its hard to argue that they flared it "too much" but that indent where the bumper and fender meet is hard not to see. gl
Old 03-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
for $2500, I'd buy myself a new set of rims that actually fit the TL right......
Old 03-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Racer

i'm paying it for now... I don't want to wait for the legal process to takes it's course. If I get refunded the money, that would be a bonus. I just want the companys name known as doing bad business.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lights
for $2500, I'd buy myself a new set of rims that actually fit the TL right......
That is always an option, but i'm happy with the wheels and tire package I chose. I just made a bad choice in doing business with a non reputable company.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts
Did they have a hand held rolling fender machine to do it or did they use a heat gun and hammer out the inside layer of the fender linings?
Old 03-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Racer

^^ They used the tool, the one that hooks up to your hub and has a roller on the end. He did heat up the fenders, but put so much pressure on the roller that it ruined the look of the fenders.

I'm stuck, it looks terrible and I have to fix it. I just want to shoot myself for allowing Element Motorsports to work on my car.

Both body shops I took it to said they have never seen such a bad job and there wasn't anything they could do except pull off the old fenders, order new ones and re-paint.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Pay by credit car, and request a stop payment or partial payment? That way the payment will go into dispute and the shop will have to answer... Juss a suggestion. Sorry that the fenders did come out right
Old 03-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ankur914
Pay by credit car, and request a stop payment or partial payment? That way the payment will go into dispute and the shop will have to answer... Juss a suggestion. Sorry that the fenders did come out right
The payment has already been processed. I spoke the shop a few minutes ago and told them I am looking into perusing legal council. He offered me a discount on any future products. I said to him, if you really want to help, send me a check.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:43 PM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow that sucks. I was watching some customer show and they just took a wooden bat and basically shoved it between the tire and fender then drove. I am sure it was tv but it turned out perfect.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bent09
Wow that sucks. I was watching some customer show and they just took a wooden bat and basically shoved it between the tire and fender then drove. I am sure it was tv but it turned out perfect.
I probably should have tried that... It couldn't have come out any worse than it is now.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:02 PM
8 second & 150 mph member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I rolled mine with the same roller and had NO issues at all, your not supposed to apply pressure when rolling them but rather finese the fenders gradually. I run a 30mm offset and the rims are flush with my fender lips, no rubbing at all either dropped on konis and comptechs.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry that happened man, but i def think your rims are hot on your car, good luck getting it call fixed, and the shop WITHOUT A DOUBT should be paying for repair.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Racer

it's a huge lesson to learn and one I will definitely kick myself over it for awhile. I love my car and any noticeable imperfection is not good. But this went way beyond an imperfection.

The company will pay on way or another. It's all karma. I just have to get my car into the dealers auto body place, get two new fenders and a nice paint job and things will be as good as new.

The only bummer is now that suspension upgrade I got just went from $1000 to $3500 real quick.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Student

nice rims and tints
Old 03-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Advanced

Dam dude that sucks i had a simular problem witha shop here in austin .... they painted my car but the paint in the front of the car (fender and hood did not macth the rest of the car nd they told me it was beacuse it was yellow paint... i was like it should still match but eventually got dem to reapint the whole car and it all work out... took some time but got it done... good luck bro nice car and wheels.....
Old 03-08-2008, 01:54 PM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

What's the offset of your wheels? It seems like the front sticks out a little from the fender. In that case, i don't think fender rolling would've resolved your rubbing issue.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:13 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
i would demand the shop fix it.. if not, i wouldnt dish out $2500 for it.. i mean honestly, im a nut job about my car and imperfections, but you can BARELY see that.. maybe you should tkae a better / close up picture of it so we can udnerstand better

i would take the $2500 and buy something worth while with it
Old 03-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by HONgDA
What's the offset of your wheels? It seems like the front sticks out a little from the fender. In that case, i don't think fender rolling would've resolved your rubbing issue.
The offset is +38. The wheels were probably turned a little to the left when I took the picture so it appears they stick out a little more.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:41 PM
iScrape going into

I agree I would demand the shop fix it. I am in the same boat. I am a perfectionist when it comes to my car. If they didn't know what they were doing plain and simple they shouldn't of been doing it. Did you watch them work on your car? I always watch whoever is working on my car for reasons like that. If they are not wanting to comply on fixing your car on there mistake. I would seek legal actions.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Racer

the guy at the shop said he was going to send me a check... I'll see early next week how much he ends up sending. If the check does not come, I already have a lawyer lined up. Here are some pictures I just took. The few from above give a much better look at his work.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

from the pics, the "V" shape isn't that noticeable, but there seems to be a gap between the fender and bumper. I bet it's worse in person.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Racer

to me, it looks pretty bad
Old 03-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

pics don't show that clear. I know it's really bad in person.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Racer

I just look at other TL's and the lines of the fenders flow so well into the bumper and mine, to me, look ruined.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:31 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
It doesnt look that bad. and on the bright side, atleast youre not rubbing anymore
Old 03-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Racer

I value everyones opinion here.... Maybe if the experts of Azine don't think it looks that bad, I may just be able to live with it. I've posted two last pictures. See if you can get a better look. First one is of a TL with great fender lines, next one is mine.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that.
How much of a drop do you have? I was told many times here that 19x8.5 +38 with 245/35R19 would be OK and there will be no rubbing issues.
I'm dropped 1" on Eibach's and I was going to get the 19x8.5 Stern ST-2 Touring Sport Hyper Silver but now I have my doubt about this setup.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Racer

there is a one finger gap in both front and back. The back is tucked in really nice, I had a little bit of rub on the passenger front, but nothing bad. I could have gotten away without rolling the fenders, but I chose too. It only rubbed when I went over really big dips, not everyday driving. IMO, +38 245/35/19 on an 8.5 rim looks great.

If I had to do it again, i would not have rolled them.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
My setup right now is 19x8 +35 with 245/35R19 and the front has about half finger gap and the rear has about one finger gap. That is with 1"drop.
If you have rubbed from to time with one finger gap in front, then to me the Sterns will rub 100%. Am i right? or I might be wrong.
I think now is the time for the rim masters to jump in.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Racer

I'm no wheels expert. I have heard people that don't even rub with a +30 offset. I think the best thing for you to do is get what you think looks good. If you do have rubbing issues, a fender roll is not a bad thing, I just got someone who did a bad job.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:02 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
honestly... I would've cambered the wheels at the cost of the tires... no point in rolling fenders because you have to pay for the rolling and now you have to pay for them to be fixed....
Old 03-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
That's the reason why I DON'T ROLL FRONT FENDERS... they are weak...

Good Luck ... hope eveything turns out well...
Old 03-09-2008, 12:45 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Two things:

1) If you seek remedy...If you want them to pay for your car or rather, refund your money, keep your head cool. In order for you to find them at fault with no real fight from them in court, allow them to attempt to "right their wrong". That can be done by them offering you in writing some type of settlement (which you don't sign by the way, just take a copy), or by giving you a check, in any amount. As long as they offer you something for your damages, then that is an admission they did something wrong. You don't offer someone a refund or rebate on a job well done. This shows they erred. You get it? So just be cool and get them to admit guilt in some kind of way, but don't sign off on anything, and you should be smooth sailing in court. BTW...the check you get will represent as what I just said, a remedy, SO DON'T CASH IT, or you are saying you take it as a settlement to your problem. Just file a claim immediately in small claims court and you should have no problem. You can do that by yourself, as a lawyer will eat up all of the refund, if not most, unless you can get them to pay for your legal fees, too. Each state is different in that regard. So check before you hire counsel for this small issue. Minimize costs. If you do go to court, don't act like the job is "not too bad, just not exactly right". Be downright pissed about it, but in control.

2) Living with it...When you look at the fenders, without comparing them to another TL's fenders, they don't look bad. They don't look unbearable at any rate. If you want what you paid for, then they look hideous! Especially the "V". But I think rims that fit, or just leaving them like that will not kill you and probably grow on you. If it was me, I would seek legal remedy first, then live with it if I don't get it. I would put that $2500 into something else for real. Not that bad to me. Your rims will probably attract all of the attention from them anyway. I doubt anyone can see this unless they are right up on it and LOOKING for it, and definitely not while you are riding by at 25+ mph!
Old 03-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by darksom1
Two things:

1) If you seek remedy...If you want them to pay for your car or rather, refund your money, keep your head cool. In order for you to find them at fault with no real fight from them in court, allow them to attempt to "right their wrong". That can be done by them offering you in writing some type of settlement (which you don't sign by the way, just take a copy), or by giving you a check, in any amount. As long as they offer you something for your damages, then that is an admission they did something wrong. You don't offer someone a refund or rebate on a job well done. This shows they erred. You get it? So just be cool and get them to admit guilt in some kind of way, but don't sign off on anything, and you should be smooth sailing in court. BTW...the check you get will represent as what I just said, a remedy, SO DON'T CASH IT, or you are saying you take it as a settlement to your problem. Just file a claim immediately in small claims court and you should have no problem. You can do that by yourself, as a lawyer will eat up all of the refund, if not most, unless you can get them to pay for your legal fees, too. Each state is different in that regard. So check before you hire counsel for this small issue. Minimize costs. If you do go to court, don't act like the job is "not too bad, just not exactly right". Be downright pissed about it, but in control.

2) Living with it...When you look at the fenders, without comparing them to another TL's fenders, they don't look bad. They don't look unbearable at any rate. If you want what you paid for, then they look hideous! Especially the "V". But I think rims that fit, or just leaving them like that will not kill you and probably grow on you. If it was me, I would seek legal remedy first, then live with it if I don't get it. I would put that $2500 into something else for real. Not that bad to me. Your rims will probably attract all of the attention from them anyway. I doubt anyone can see this unless they are right up on it and LOOKING for it, and definitely not while you are riding by at 25+ mph!
You are right on the money with this one and I do appreciate your honest and knowledgeable response. The owner has already said he would offer me a "significant discount" on any products I purchase from him now, or in the future.
My response to him was, thanks but no thanks, if you want to help, send me a check. You are right, some of his responses to my emails and phone calls are that of remorse and regret. I think deep down he knows he did not perform the job correctly.

If/when the check arrives that I told him to send, I will sit on it. I have a good friend of the family that is a lawyer and he said if I want him to represent me he would do it "pro bono", but really can't guarantee the judgment I am looking for.

So, it's a waiting game.

Again, Thanks for your words of wisdom!
Old 03-10-2008, 12:26 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by lights
lol!

for real though that is totally unaccpetable. it looks like it was done by a 6 yr. old kid. Don't take the shop's BS.

SUE!!