MY Blue Batmobile overlays (teaser for now...)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
MY Blue Batmobile overlays (teaser for now...)

Ok, so i finally did it, all 8 overlays. It was rainy and cold so i dont have very good pics right now, but i will as soon as it gets nice out. And for now i will only show you the tails because i am pretty sure this is a first, cut-out tail overlays on 06 tails

Things i would have done differently:

1. waited for a warm and sunny day so i could do this out of my garage, and in the sun

2. dont start this project at 1pm

3. have some cold beer ready for consumption

So here ya go, enjoy...

I am tired and off to bed. I will update on the things i found, the things i suggest, and new pics later this week.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PERFECT!!!! Looks great
Old 05-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I give up. What is a blue batmobile overlay. It looks like the taillights are tinted.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:09 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Yes, thats what they are. Blue Bat Mobile is a site vendor.

Sells tints for headlights, side markers and tails.

try www.bluebatmobile.net
Old 05-12-2008, 06:40 AM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by evanj5
PERFECT!!!! Looks great
thanks!

it was probably one of the hardest things i have done so far. i really had to keep from loosing my cool. i might have to re-do or buy new for one or two of the eight, but i am really happy with the way they look. this morning was the first time i saw what they looked like with the lights on, and two
Old 05-12-2008, 06:52 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by blkaspec
thanks!

it was probably one of the hardest things i have done so far. i really had to keep from loosing my cool. i might have to re-do or buy new for one or two ....

I hear ya, man. Nice Job!!

I botched my first tail light and tried over and over to fix it, but it was too far gone. Had to trash it and now I have one Tail Light overlay sitting in a drawer.

The Side Markers were OK, one or two very minor imperfections. Partial Headlight Overlay wasn't too bad either.

Takes a lot of patience and some practice. Tails are definetly hardest.

Which end of the light did you start with: The License Plate side or the far side?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I hear ya, man. Nice Job!!

I botched my first tail light and tried over and over to fix it, but it was too far gone. Had to trash it and now I have one Tail Light overlay sitting in a drawer.

The Side Markers were OK, one or two very minor imperfections. Partial Headlight Overlay wasn't too bad either.

Takes a lot of patience and some practice. Tails are definetly hardest.

Which end of the light did you start with: The License Plate side or the far side?
the first tail i started on the license plate side, and this one turned out the best BY FAR. the one thing i found was there was little room to tuck the tint on that far side, and i didnt like to trim if i didnt have to. so the drivers side tail i started on the far side, but this led to me having the cut-outs not fully centered in the right spot, and it made it so there was little tint on the license plate side. the problem was that i had already heated the far side to much and had deformed it too much to change the location. then i couldnt get the wrinkles fully out because i had stretched it too thin. i fixed the centering problem of the cut-outs by trimming some of the tint that i tucked near the trunk, and then just placed a few strips to make the cut-out look a little better. but i think eventually i will have to buy a new one for the drivers side.

the side-markers were not too bad. the first one sucked and took me an hour, the rest were not that bad. they probably fit the worst, just given the shape and size of the light.

i also did the partial fronts, and thats where i started, and those turned out the best. those were by far the easiest to install. the tails were a bitch and take a lot of patience. it also didnt help that i saved them for last and i was really really hungry.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Full of water...

Son of a....another thread of mine moved.

Am i missing something here, or is this not a "modification"?!?!?!?!!?

If i didnt add pics would it have stayed in that section?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:13 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Here is the announcement at the top of the forum you were attempting to post in.....so no....this is not a modification as defined therein.

https://acurazine.com/forums/announc...nouncementid=7

The intention of this forum is to discuss performance oriented issues and topics, and the parts and modifications which affect said performance. This means only performance parts and performance enhancing modifications should be posted in this forum.

It was never intended to be a receptacle for all parts and all modifications.

If you want to know the part number for a door handle, or you need to find some information on a part, or you want to discuss the various parts of the a-spec body kits, or you want to ask a question about tint, or you are interested in carbon fiber engine shrouds, or any of the many other threads that have been started here when they shouldn't have been, please post your thread in one of the other appropriate subforums or the main 3G forum.

If your modification is not performance oriented, which includes but is not limited to tint, cleared headlights, rockblocker on lights, new shift knob, etc., none of which affect the performance of the TL, also please post in one of the other appropriate subforums or the main 3G forum.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Full of water...

alright, i guess the "performance parts and modifications" should just say "performance modifications"

can i elect to minus the "parts and" part of that?

also, i hate reading, so i guess i am still to blame. i promise to never do this again
Old 05-12-2008, 11:25 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Actually...you are FAR from the first person to make that mistake....trust me.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Actually...you are FAR from the first person to make that mistake....trust me.
Oh, i know, and thats probably what has screwed me up the most. I see something posted somewhere and i just assume it SHOULD be posted there.

But thanks for the help, i knew there were instructions, i just never knew where to look. It figures they were right in front of my face

I still think we should eliminate the "parts and" .....anyone, anyone!?!?!?!?!
Old 05-12-2008, 05:40 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Oh, i know, and thats probably what has screwed me up the most. I see something posted somewhere and i just assume it SHOULD be posted there.

But thanks for the help, i knew there were instructions, i just never knew where to look. It figures they were right in front of my face

I still think we should eliminate the "parts and" .....anyone, anyone!?!?!?!?!
Actually...back in the day when it was changed to what it is now....there was much discussion and debate on the section name. Any other questions should be referred to Ron as he was kind of the father of that name as I recall. Seems clear enough to me anyway....but I have been here for a while so I know and not a good comparison.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Unregistered Member

looks good man!
Old 05-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You cant see the edges on those overlays? It doesnt peel up or scratch?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Racer

nice! i want that!! lol eh.. quick question is urs the dark or light tint?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by flydog
You cant see the edges on those overlays? It doesnt peel up or scratch?
you can see some edges, but most of the tint can be tucked around the light. the small lights on the sides are the hardest to make edges "invisible". they can peel if they are not on properly, like if you dont have all the air/water squeezed out. and yes, they can scratch if you take something sharp to them, but i dont usually wash with my keys in my hand

the one thing i will say, if you can take your lights off to do this, i would. i would make the finish much much better.

Originally Posted by lopopo
nice! i want that!! lol eh.. quick question is urs the dark or light tint?
dark. it doesnt look as much in the photos, and i dont think it is as dark as other dark tint, but i like.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW looks good, I tinted my headlights and it was cool, tried my tails and got stuck and ended up heating it up too much and just ripped it off.

I have a driver side pre-cut tint if anyone is interested? I just ended up buying a roll of the vinyl for future mistakes. PM me.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
it is lookin CLEAN
Old 05-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Anybody have these overlays with the cut-outs on a WDP? I'm dying to see some pics.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
blkaspec, post pics of your headlights. I just purchase the 6/10 half tints for my Type S. They should arrive in a day or two. Give more install instructions.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
blkaspec, post pics of your headlights. I just purchase the 6/10 half tints for my Type S. They should arrive in a day or two. Give more install instructions.
sorry about not, i have been waiting for a decent day to take some better pics, but i have either gotten home too late to take any or it has been a rainy mess. i will be sure to at least get some ok pics up tonight. i do hope to take some good pics soon though. i know Bat wants them for his collection.

i will also give some suggestions on install once i get home. i will say that the turn signal tints for the headlights are by far the easiest to install. the curve is very gradual and for the most part there is plenty of room to just tuck the tint around the light. if i can remember though, i think the hardest place to tuck is at the bottom of the light, so you may want to line up the tint so it is more flush at the bottom and then tuck around the other three sides.

a good way to check is to take a credit card and try to slide it around each light. if you cant get the card in, you will probably have a hard time tucking the tint, and if you try you may rip it. just something to think about...
Old 05-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Full of water...

Finally, some better pics!!!!

Ok, so i know my car is dirty, and i didnt really plan on taking photos today, but it actually turned out to be a decent day to take some pics. If anyone wants any different angles or whatever, just let me know.

I plan on taking some more once the sun comes back out and my car is clean, but that could be a while.

Enjoy!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Full of water...

Old 05-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Team Owner

I just got my tints today in the mail today. They came rolled up, so I just unrolled them, got the headlight wet with soapy water. Then I pulled the tints off the paper and put them on the headlights. With Bearcat's suggestions, I got out the hair dryer and heated up the tints to get them to contour to the headlights-and it worked like a dream !!! It only took about 5 minutes per tint to install...honest. They were easy-even though the curve of the headlight usually is tough to work. But using the hair dryer worked perfectly. I'll take some pictures and post here. I promised Andy (Blue Batmobile) that I'd post pics, but it looks just like blkapecs TL, only mine is silver. I only did my headlights on my Type S.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Team Owner

Guys,

It's late here in KC (11PM), but I took one shot of the new tints for you while the car is in the garage, but I'll get some better pics on Thursday with the TL outside.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Racer

wow looks awesome!! i want to do the taillights so bad!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:46 AM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I just got my tints today in the mail today. They came rolled up, so I just unrolled them, got the headlight wet with soapy water. Then I pulled the tints off the paper and put them on the headlights. With Bearcat's suggestions, I got out the hair dryer and heated up the tints to get them to contour to the headlights-and it worked like a dream !!! It only took about 5 minutes per tint to install...honest. They were easy-even though the curve of the headlight usually is tough to work. But using the hair dryer worked perfectly. I'll take some pictures and post here. I promised Andy (Blue Batmobile) that I'd post pics, but it looks just like blkapecs TL, only mine is silver. I only did my headlights on my Type S.

i am glad everything worked out
Old 05-17-2008, 07:30 AM
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts
Ok, so i know my car is dirty, and i didnt really plan on taking photos today, but it actually turned out to be a decent day to take some pics. If anyone wants any different angles or whatever, just let me know.

I plan on taking some more once the sun comes back out and my car is clean, but that could be a while.

Enjoy!

Nicely done! They do look good on non type S tails Despite your dirty tires, I'd like to add your pics to my gallery until you take better pics with a clean car .

Bat™
Old 05-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by Blue Batmobile
Nicely done! They do look good on non type S tails Despite your dirty tires, I'd like to add your pics to my gallery until you take better pics with a clean car .

Bat™
thanks man, i have been really happy with the new look. and unfortunately for my tires, they are rarely ever clean. i live off of two miles of dirt roads, and my hard water makes it really tough to clean my car at home. so no matter what i do my car is either covered in dust, or the tires have a nice layer of dirt. which reminds me, i should probably take a look at my CAI filter soon.

i took some more pics today and will get them up soon....tires are still dirty though
Old 05-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Full of water...

a few more...

Old 05-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Pro

Your car looks perfect !!!!!!! I wouldve gone with a lighter tint that just covers the entire headlight, thats what I did.

But yeah those taillights are perfect looking.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by evanj5
Your car looks perfect !!!!!!! I wouldve gone with a lighter tint that just covers the entire headlight, thats what I did.

But yeah those taillights are perfect looking.

Thanks man, that means a lot!

I had many thoughts about how dark, and what model i wanted to get. I wanted to try to keep the same color all the way around, but at the same time i didnt really want to go with the full blacked out look. Bat suggested that i wouldnt be able to see the cutouts in the back if i went with the lighter, so thats why i went dark. And l went with the half tint up front because i still liked to see the headlights, and i thought the dark may alter the output a little.

I also went with the dark because i thought it would blend better with my paint. Either way, i am really happy with it.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts
a few more...

Very nice!

Bat
Old 10-20-2008, 06:20 PM
10th Gear

Cool Here is my '06 TL with Andy's (Blue Bat Mobile) overlay's

Promised Andy I would put these up. Here are the tails and rear side markers for now. Fronts to come when I get more time to put them on!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
rcknrollin,

Are those the darker or lighter overlays? I have a WDP and definitely want the cutout's all around.

I have legal tint (28%) all the way around and was wondering if the darker film will look odd against my not incredibly dark windows. Also read above that the rear cutouts wouldn't be noticeable in the lighter 6/10 overlay film.

What do you think?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:59 PM
10th Gear

Ned,

Those are the darker 6/10 overlays. I love the way they match my windows, but keep in mind that my windows are very dark- darker than 28%, they came that way from the previous owner so I don't know the exact percentage. What color is your car? I think they will look fine especially against the right paint...
Old 10-22-2008, 06:05 AM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
rck,

I have a WDP like you. Think I'll just go for the darker since OP was told you can't even see the cutouts in the lighter trim.

thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 08:37 AM
10th Gear

aaahh WDP.. sorry not paying attention- i get it now. Yeah just go with the 6/10's i think they'll look great.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Here is an 06 with no cutouts ... different angles show it as different darknesses but match up with my 20% very well.

Quick Reply: MY Blue Batmobile overlays (teaser for now...)