JDM Fogs

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
JDM Fogs

Well I discarded some things to move on to a different project...
Custom fogs! =]
These are JDM Subaru Legacy H3 Fog-Projectors.
To go along with the projectors... I have yellow lens to replace the lens inside them.
I did a quick test fit and it seems to work out well so far...
I'll just have to get wiring harnesses, a switch and new fog-mounts that'll I'll get a machine-shop to fabricate.

They'll [hopefully] be running on 3500K H3 HIDs. =]
Pics for now:

Old 02-13-2009, 12:16 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
.....hmmm....have to see it on the car to judge
Old 02-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
How did you come to this idea? lol
Old 02-13-2009, 12:22 PM
I MAKE NO SENSE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like an ambitious project for ya, hope it goes as you planned.
I liked what you did with the UT title there
Old 02-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by Blazing GT
.....hmmm....have to see it on the car to judge
Honestly I don't think it's going to look right since the housing is glass--and you can see through it which reveals all the silver shrouds.
I'm thinking if I paint it black ... it might look better.

Originally Posted by Maharajamd
How did you come to this idea? lol
Hahah.. Well I wanted HID fogs... and I didn't want to be like everyone else who was using Accord fogs.
Whats-his-name [sorry I forgot] used Hella DE-Micros or something.. but those were too expensive for me.
I got these for cheap from a local so I figured--why the hell not? It pretty much fits perfectly too.

Originally Posted by tc_terencec
looks like an ambitious project for ya, hope it goes as you planned.
I liked what you did with the UT title there
I hope it does go as planned! If not... well then oh well. I'll move on to another project.
Hahah thanks--The UT letter was the closest paper I had to me so I just used it. =]
Old 02-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Badass then man, let us know and take good pics!
Old 02-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Hmn... attempting to put in the yellow lens into the fogs at the moment.
I'm questioning if I have to bake them open or not... since there were some clips holding the glass portion to the plastic-rear portion. Even still it's stuck on there pretty good.

Oh I forgot to mention!
The beauty of these fogs are that the projectors are 'self-contained'. The front half is glass while the rest of it is plastic! So it's pretty safe from the elements.
I'll probably have to clean the glass, though, as it is dirty and has some rock chips here and there.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 PM
e92 335i

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
its all about McMaster 04komodo
Old 02-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

So.. looks like I'm going to have to bake the fogs...
I'm a little scared to do it as these are the only set I have.
I don't have a heat-gun... Maybe I'll use a hair-dryer and sit there for ages Hahah.

Originally Posted by ladiesman217
its all about McMaster 04komodo
Hahah.. it's okay. I was born in Hamilton and although McMaster is a good school... I don't know if I want to live there again.
I'm not even sure if McMaster has my programs lol.
[Architecture, Mechanical Engineering and/or Mechatronics]
Old 02-13-2009, 01:35 PM
04 "NBP TL" 6mt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice! I like it when somebody steps outside the box and do something diffrent that somebody hasn't done

looking forward to your progress

btw, I didn't know you were viet
Old 02-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by CHiNaMaN440
very nice! I like it when somebody steps outside the box and do something diffrent that somebody hasn't done

looking forward to your progress

btw, I didn't know you were viet
Thanks! I'll probably be test fitting the fogs tomorrow or so. Need to get new brackets made =]

Hahah.. well Viet is my middle name!!----No really it is. =p
Old 02-13-2009, 01:49 PM
04 "NBP TL" 6mt

lol thats awesome, I don't have a middle name but my parents named me after an ox lol "chau bo" , but I go by sam
Old 02-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Move to Edmonton, they have a good Mechanical Engineering program and that would mean I would have someone help me with my TL moding as well hahaha I am also a mechanical engineer but a technologist. I never wanted to go to the U of A so I went 2 years to NAIT.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Clemson Tiger

When I saw JDM fogs as the title I was like omg another person trying to say they have jdm stuff on a car not sold in Japan. haha

those fogs are gonna look tight man. Love the projector fog look, one of my friends did it on his si and it looked sick
Old 02-14-2009, 12:18 AM
Racer

Yeap. I dont like too much those yellos fog's, man but is your car and you go with whatever is your taste and style. Hope everything goes perfect.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by CHiNaMaN440
lol thats awesome, I don't have a middle name but my parents named me after an ox lol "chau bo" , but I go by sam
Hahah. That's a pretty crazy name!
I have some friends who are named after "Chicken", "Dog" and "Ox" as well.

Originally Posted by myron
Move to Edmonton, they have a good Mechanical Engineering program and that would mean I would have someone help me with my TL moding as well hahaha I am also a mechanical engineer but a technologist. I never wanted to go to the U of A so I went 2 years to NAIT.
I don't know about moving to Edmonton but I'd sure like to visit!
Mech. Engineering is actually my 2nd option... I'm hoping to get into architecture first =]
How is the Mech. Program at NAIT? My cousin went to Mech. Engineering at Conestoga in Kitchener, Ontario----Now he has his own company that design/produce elevators.

Originally Posted by JakerfTL
When I saw JDM fogs as the title I was like omg another person trying to say they have jdm stuff on a car not sold in Japan. haha

those fogs are gonna look tight man. Love the projector fog look, one of my friends did it on his si and it looked sick
Hahah no worries. I'll claim something is JDM when it indeed is JDM =].
I hope it does look tight! I'm thinking of painting around the glass black though so it'll look better.
Any pics of the Si? I'd like to see =]

Originally Posted by Rafiton
Yeap. I dont like too much those yellos fog's, man but is your car and you go with whatever is your taste and style. Hope everything goes perfect.
Thanks! So far it's going ... well no where. Hahah. Minor bump in the road right now...

So I tried to bake the foglight today. Baked it at 350 F* for 6 minutes. Didn't budge at all. Went for another 6 minutes. Still did not budge. So I got a little frustrated and baked it for 15 minutes. Still.. didn't budge.
So I tried to use a wedge to pry some if it apart and just about instantly I chipped a [thumb-sized] piece of the glass off... Shat!
The front half is glass too--so it was crazy hot to the touch.
So... I'm giving up for tonight. No yellow lens yet... =[
Going to leave it as is for now and on Tuesday I'm going to design some custom brackets and have my two cousins [the one I just spoke about up there and a cousin who welds] make me the brackets.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Bumper is off
Test fitting:

After some cutting:

The fitment is very good. It shows some gaps near the corners, though... there is nothing I can do to fix that.
Stillhere had suggested to fill in any gaps with black silicone or something which I might do once everything comes together.

The driver side is cut very well... however, since the passenger side lower-grille is designed differently... it was a bit harder to cut. As a result... the passenger side lower-grille was accidentally cut a little bit to big. Once both custom brackets have been made.. the larger cut won't matter anyway.

The fog is not painted yet... but it actually looks pretty good since it nearly matches my SSM bumper.

Last edited by o4Komodo; 02-17-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I don't know about moving to Edmonton but I'd sure like to visit!
Mech. Engineering is actually my 2nd option... I'm hoping to get into architecture first =]
How is the Mech. Program at NAIT? My cousin went to Mech. Engineering at Conestoga in Kitchener, Ontario----Now he has his own company that design/produce elevators.
First of all nice project.
Mech. Engineering at NAIT is hard and who ever says differently is a liar haha I think in Ontario it's a 3 year course and at nait they cramed it into a 2 year course. I was also into architecture but since I live in Alberta (OIL PROVINCE) I went where the money is good so I took mechanical. I know a couple of people that are in Civil Engineering and Electrical and they seem satisfied with that. What ever you pick is good.
I also have a firend who graduated from Mech Eng. in Kitchener last year I think and him and his dad opened their own company. I don't know exactly what they do but they are doing well
Old 02-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by myron
First of all nice project.
Mech. Engineering at NAIT is hard and who ever says differently is a liar haha I think in Ontario it's a 3 year course and at nait they cramed it into a 2 year course. I was also into architecture but since I live in Alberta (OIL PROVINCE) I went where the money is good so I took mechanical. I know a couple of people that are in Civil Engineering and Electrical and they seem satisfied with that. What ever you pick is good.
I also have a firend who graduated from Mech Eng. in Kitchener last year I think and him and his dad opened their own company. I don't know exactly what they do but they are doing well
Wow. Cramming 3-4 year course into a 2 [to 3, maybe] year course sounds pretty hectic.
Mechanical is definitely a good choice

Kitchener is pretty crazy for any engineering program, in my opinion. Kitchener isn't considered part of the 'tri-city' for no reason =p
Old 02-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Update!

So I tried to bake the fogs again... no dice. I ended up burning myself instead.
So I went through another approach.... I cut the fog-light open instead.
Success!

I swapped out the clear lens to a yellow-clear lens. I'm currently painting the glass housing.... I've only chopped up one for now.
Pics to come later.

On another note:
My HID kit came in today from Richie. Very fast shipping

Now all I need is a wiring harness and switch.
The brackets will be made soon. =]
Old 02-20-2009, 06:13 PM
06 6spd TL BAGGED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
legacy fogs? thats something different! can't wait to see it on your car.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by nokiaboy808
legacy fogs? thats something different! can't wait to see it on your car.
Yepp! I was going to go the Accord route.. But a local were selling these fogs for rather cheap. I couldn't resist--especially it being projectors.

You can sort of get an idea of how it looks from the pics previously posted...
I have my bumper off, at the moment. I'm also working on a new grille.

I'll have some pics coming up soon. Uploading now as I type.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:38 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I admire your adventurous spirit, you are always coming up with something new and unexpected, lol. It looks doable man. I am going to warn you that you will have to max those aiming adjustment screws to the max. Because of the shape of the bumper it causes to lights to be canted towards to periphery. Try to mount them aimed a bit more centrally. Cautiously cut only what you need. Cut, test fit; Cut, test fit; Cut, test fit. Take your time and don't rush, you don't want to cut something too much. If you do it right you can get it perfect. To be honest the Accord fog is not exactly PnP. It takes a lot of hacking and modding to get them in there right. I imagine you can use any fog light you wanted as long as the dimensions are in the ballpark. Why not Subaru ones? Makin them HIDs will be awesome!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:41 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
BTW your name and address is in one of those pics.:detective
Old 02-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
I admire your adventurous spirit, you are always coming up with something new and unexpected, lol. It looks doable man. I am going to warn you that you will have to max those aiming adjustment screws to the max. Because of the shape of the bumper it causes to lights to be canted towards to periphery. Try to mount them aimed a bit more centrally. Cautiously cut only what you need. Cut, test fit; Cut, test fit; Cut, test fit. Take your time and don't rush, you don't want to cut something too much. If you do it right you can get it perfect. To be honest the Accord fog is not exactly PnP. It takes a lot of hacking and modding to get them in there right. I imagine you can use any fog light you wanted as long as the dimensions are in the ballpark. Why not Subaru ones? Makin them HIDs will be awesome!
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
BTW your name and address is in one of those pics.:detective
Thanks! It definitely is doable. I've already chopped up the lower-grilles and the cuts are spot on for the first cuts. Well, sort of. The passenger side is cut a little too much... but with the brackets I'll have made the issue of cutting a little too much is resolved.
The fogs actually fit in just about perfectly... no trimming needed at all on the fogs themselves---not like it is possible anyways since the front half is pure glass.
To cut the bumper.. I just used a dremel, cut out the back portion of the lower-grille... estimated what needed to be cut and like I said--it's pretty spot on.
The only issues I've come across in terms of fitment is that there are small gaps at the top and bottom corners where the fogs meet the grille. That issue will be resolved with black silicone.

HIDs will definitely be used! I have 300k H3 HIDs sitting in my room, from Richie, waiting to be installed.
I'm going to see what I can do in terms of aiming the fogs as well =]

And hahah.. yeah I realized my address was there after I took the pics. Hmn.
It's okay. I'm moving out in summer to another city anyway

On another note, Rocky, I started the mid-grille today.
Man it was a pain working outside at -10C. I had other things to do earlier today so it cut most of my work time.
I'll continue tomorrow, hopefully it will be finished by Saturday night.
=]
Old 02-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Updated pictures:

Chopped the front housing off since I couldn't bake it open:

Removed the clear lens:

Comparing the clear lens to the yellow ones:

Installed the yellow lens:

Masked off the glass, preparing it for paint:

Painted.. waiting for paint to dry [won't see much.. since it was dark by the time I took this]:

In the middle of the fogs I took off my bumper to prepare for my other project.
Removed all bondo---filed the bondo down--sanded the bondo down...
Prepped it for other project:

Old 02-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Stay tuned for next time!
New grille mod to come..
Second fog to be cut opened and painted.
Brackets to be made and test-fit.

In a week or two:
Full install of the fogs running 3000k HIDs with yellow-lens
New mesh [old one is junk now] to go with newly-to-be-made-grille.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

On another note..
I'm going to do a little special something to go with the new design for the grille..
Hehehe.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:08 PM
One or Two?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for ya, if you're replacing the clear projector lenses with yellow lenses, why are you using a 3k HID kit? Yellow hids with yellow projector lenses seems a bit redundant to me. Wouldn't you be better off running a 4300k HID kit to give you the max amount of lumens through the new yellow lenses? Or are you just trying for the most yellow possible?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by chuanger
Question for ya, if you're replacing the clear projector lenses with yellow lenses, why are you using a 3k HID kit? Yellow hids with yellow projector lenses seems a bit redundant to me. Wouldn't you be better off running a 4300k HID kit to give you the max amount of lumens through the new yellow lenses? Or are you just trying for the most yellow possible?
That's a good question.
I actually just went with the most yellow I could try to get it.
I did think about running 43000K with the yellow lens.. but then I figured it will look like 3000K once the light shoots out.
So... why not go with 3000K, I figured.

Also... I was/am a little confused as pictures of light can be deceiving.
Some images show 4300K brighter than 3000K while some other images show 3000k being brighter than 4300k
Old 02-20-2009, 10:10 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
looks good so far, I would try and use 07-08 base lower grills if you want to get slick with it
Old 02-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by stillhere153
looks good so far, I would try and use 07-08 base lower grills if you want to get slick with it
Those are more... honey-combed aren't they?
I forgot how they look. I'm going to search now hahah thanks for the idea.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Clemson Tiger

Originally Posted by o4Komodo
Hahah no worries. I'll claim something is JDM when it indeed is JDM =].
I hope it does look tight! I'm thinking of painting around the glass black though so it'll look better.
Any pics of the Si? I'd like to see =]
Oh man he sold it I'll check with him and see if he has any pictures after he put them in. They were jdm maxima fogs and fit perfectly in his fog holes. Looked so sick
Old 02-21-2009, 02:31 AM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
sweet idea! but instead of running yellow projectors, why not just run 3.5k HIDs, instead of both?
Old 02-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Oh man he sold it I'll check with him and see if he has any pictures after he put them in. They were jdm maxima fogs and fit perfectly in his fog holes. Looked so sick
Aw that's too bad.
Hahah keep me posted. I bet it does look sick!

Originally Posted by nbennettksu
sweet idea! but instead of running yellow projectors, why not just run 3.5k HIDs, instead of both?
Well I opted for 3500K HIDs but I received 3000K.... it doesn't bother me though.
Like I said previously, I mainly wanted to get the most yellow output I could get with the fog-projectors. I just couldn't resist... the yellow lens cost me $25 from a local. =]

So.. hopefully 3000K + yellow-lens would give me some sort of crazy-ass'd yellow-light! In the near future I'll hope to run ZKWs with the philips 84122+. Should be a crazy light show. =]
Old 02-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Looks like my grille mod will have to be put on hold.
My family [parents and siblings] came to visit.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Clemson Tiger

Ok my other si friend had one picture of it on his phone. lol too bad its not a night shot
Old 02-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Ok my other si friend had one picture of it on his phone. lol too bad its not a night shot
Aw, I don't think your link was a proper image link lol.

Minor update:
Currently working on my grille-mod, that elegant and rocky are aware of. Currently finishing the painting on the fog-housing.
It's freaking cold outside... -6C/21F before windchill. With windchill I'm freezing to death!
Also purchased epoxy and black silicone [with help from triodesign--sorry don't remember how to properly spell your name].
Old 02-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Clemson Tiger

Ok did it work this time? lol sorry bout that I just linked it direct from my email
Old 02-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Yeah it worked this time JakefTL.
That's a clean Si--Could use some blacked-out headlights though. =]

Okay. So I just sealed up the foglight back up.... My room smells like epoxy now. I was so into putting it back together that I forgot to work in the garage.
The paint on the housing is coming off though--as I was messing around with it before it fully dried.

Quick Reply: JDM Fogs