Installed LED DRLs (Comparison Photos)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Yea, once you get the cool whites, the yellow bulbs look awful. You want to change them all out....
Old 06-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Mons shaver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How easy is this install?

Easy like anyone can do it? Or do you need some basic car knowledge.

The white looks great compared to the yellow.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
they had in yellow about 3 months ago now its not there
Old 07-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
freakin nice bro!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
do you need a harness, if you have DRL already? can i just buy 2 9005 bulbs for my 2006 ?? or do i have to buy a kit??
Old 07-04-2011, 08:32 PM
TSK
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Acurazine, been reading for over a year, looking for things to do. Can I do DRL in the foglights on my 04NBP? Thanks guys/gals...love these forums!
Old 07-09-2011, 09:51 PM
5th Gear

real nice
Old 07-15-2011, 02:49 AM
Mons shaver

I'm in the process of ordering these from JDMToy and had a few questions:

1. I have an 08TL so it sounds like its just plug and play. Is that right?
2. On the website it warns that the DRL warning light may still come on. Is that accurate or did they fix that issue? I saw someone mention that they were working on eliminating this problem.
3. Does the bulb get too hot to damage the lighting housing?
Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by magnod
I'm in the process of ordering these from JDMToy and had a few questions:

1. I have an 08TL so it sounds like its just plug and play. Is that right?
2. On the website it warns that the DRL warning light may still come on. Is that accurate or did they fix that issue? I saw someone mention that they were working on eliminating this problem.
3. Does the bulb get too hot to damage the lighting housing?
Answerss!!!

1. Yeah, it is direct plug and play. Pretty self explanatory if you follow the directions.
2. My 'DRL' warning sign is still on. Others have gotten lucky
3. I haven't noticed any signs of the bulbs getting hot. Had it for roughly 4 months now.

Here are some pics, with 6k HIDs as well.

Hope this helps....
Old 07-15-2011, 07:43 PM
9th Gear

Looks real nice. I think lighting will definitely be next in line on my to-do list.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:26 AM
Mons shaver

Originally Posted by DooooT
Answerss!!!

1. Yeah, it is direct plug and play. Pretty self explanatory if you follow the directions.
3. I haven't noticed any signs of the bulbs getting hot. Had it for roughly 4 months now.

Hope this helps....
Awesome. Nice car!

I hope I'm one of the lucky ones without the DRL warning light.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:19 PM
07 NBP TL

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Those just plug and play?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Answerss!!!

Hope this helps....

Are you using the Orange new design special decoder that they have now with the kit or do you have the older black special decoder? The newer Orange one seems to keep the DRL warning light off.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jaster
Are you using the Orange new design special decoder that they have now with the kit or do you have the older black special decoder? The newer Orange one seems to keep the DRL warning light off.
Mine is the orange!! When I emailed them about it - they claimed it was a 50/50 chance for the DRL warning sign.

My only complaint is that these DRL's are too blue for my taste, I am hoping to find some 5k's or something.

Last edited by DooooT; 07-19-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:01 AM
Advanced

iJDMtoy DRL Kit Warning Light Failure

Mine is the orange!! When I emailed them about it - they claimed it was a 50/50 chance for the DRL warning sign.

My only complaint is that these DRL's are too blue for my taste, I am hoping to find some 5k's or something.

I spoke to soon about the ijdmtoy DRL kit. I had the DRL warning light on this morning. It stayed on all the way to work which really was pissing me off after saying just the opposite the night before. I decided I would take it all apart and check all of the connections when I got home. When I left work the DRL warning light was still on which set off anger once again sending me into a redline run but during the run I noticed the DRL light flicker on and off and would go completely off at high rpm so I did another redline run and it flickered and then when out at high rpm only and then would come back on as rpm went down. This gave me hope.

Forget the hope! I just got through taking it out and connecting it every which way also checking pin connections and the DRL warning light is now here to stay. I also disconnected the car battery for 30 minutes while working on the connections so the ECU would be reset. I can no longer recommend this product if you also want your DRL Warning Light to not be on.

On a plus side the Driving Lights are the perfect color and light for what I wanted.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Advanced

I spoke to soon about the ijdmtoy DRL kit. I had the DRL warning light on this morning. It stayed on all the way to work which really was pissing me off after saying just the opposite the night before. I decided I would take it all apart and check all of the connections when I got home. When I left work the DRL warning light was still on which set off anger once again sending me into a redline run but during the run I noticed the DRL light flicker on and off and would go completely off at high rpm so I did another redline run and it flickered and then when out at high rpm only and then would come back on as rpm went down. This gave me hope.

Forget the hope! I just got through taking it out and connecting it every which way also checking pin connections and the DRL warning light is now here to stay. I also disconnected the car battery for 30 minutes while working on the connections so the ECU would be reset. I can no longer recommend this product if you also want your DRL Warning Light to not be on.

On a plus side the Driving Lights are the perfect color and light for what I wanted.
That sucks man. Welcome to the DRL warning sign club..lol. I gotten so use to DRL sign that I don't even see it any more.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Cruisin'

I wired up the DRL kit on my 08' WDP and the DRL warning light is still on. I have the kit with the orange decoder also. btw, any advice on where you fastened down the orange decoder as well as the black box that connects to the open ended plug? Pix if possible!!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:15 AM
.:dedicated:.

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TSK
New to Acurazine, been reading for over a year, looking for things to do. Can I do DRL in the foglights on my 04NBP? Thanks guys/gals...love these forums!

heres HOW:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-029-diy-independent-fog-lights-stock-switch-772633/

or you can buy a DRL module but i prefer the first option

heres what it looks like on my '04 AM:
Old 07-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Mons shaver

Originally Posted by ilanboy102
I wired up the DRL kit on my 08' WDP and the DRL warning light is still on. I have the kit with the orange decoder also. btw, any advice on where you fastened down the orange decoder as well as the black box that connects to the open ended plug? Pix if possible!!
Got the kit. In the process of installing it.

Do I need to fasten the wires in anyway? If so, how and where do I fasten them?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Advanced

For the decoder on the passenger side just zip tie it to wires around the light area, nothing to special there. I ran the harness underneath the front radiator cover over to the driver side and used a few zip ties to hold it in place. On the driver side I mounted the orange decoder on the metal engine bay right next to the car battery. Real easy to drill to holes in the frame (easier to remove the battery when drilling if doing it this way) and use 2 small self-tapping screws to hold it in place. I only did it that way so it would help keep the decoder more cool by transferring the heat metal to metal otherwise you could just zip tie it to any of the wires down near the lights.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Mons shaver

For the decoder on the passenger side just zip tie it to wires around the light area, nothing to special there. I ran the harness underneath the front radiator cover over to the driver side and used a few zip ties to hold it in place. On the driver side I mounted the orange decoder on the metal engine bay right next to the car battery. Real easy to drill to holes in the frame (easier to remove the battery when drilling if doing it this way) and use 2 small self-tapping screws to hold it in place. I only did it that way so it would help keep the decoder more cool by transferring the heat metal to metal otherwise you could just zip tie it to any of the wires down near the lights.
Thanks.
I just heard back from JDMtoy and they recommended buying a metal brace from Home Depot to attach the resistor to the frame. I don't see why your way wouldn't be easier and cheaper.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Mons shaver

Installed the unit today, following the instructions, but the lights are really dim. So much that you cannot notice it during the day. I can tell they are on when I go up close I can see the individual LEDs glowing, but nothing else. Please advise what is wrong.

Here's a brief description of how I installed the unit:
1. Removed old bulbs.
2. Attached the main harness on the passenger side.
3. Attached the decoder unit to the passenger harness and left the end of the decoder open.
4. Ran the longer wire from the passenger harness to the driver side light.
5. Attached the resistor to the driver side electrical wires, then attached the resistor to the metal from of the car.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Advanced

That all sounds correct. You know these lights are not very bright at all, but they have a pure white light to them that is easily seen when looking at your car in the daytime from a long way. You can barely tell they are on even at night when you pull up to a white garage door and barely light up the door (with your night car lights off of course).
Old 07-29-2011, 12:15 AM
Mons shaver

That all sounds correct. You know these lights are not very bright at all, but they have a pure white light to them that is easily seen when looking at your car in the daytime from a long way. You can barely tell they are on even at night when you pull up to a white garage door and barely light up the door (with your night car lights off of course).

I think one of the reasons the lights look so dim is that not all of the LEDs are working. When I look at the light, there are a lot of yellow LED spots that are not lit up. Only two on the front work, and there are only two of the five rows around the light work.

Here's what is looks like:

I'm assuming its supposed to look like this:
Old 07-29-2011, 02:00 AM
Advanced

You definitely have a problem. I just went out to look at mine and they are all lit up just like in the ijdmtoy picture on both lights. Time to give them a call.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Mons shaver

Here's an update to the iJDMToy DRL issue.

All the LEDs finally work. I guess I just had to use it and drive around for a couple of days before it went on. I'm not 100% satisfied with the brightness of the DRL. I like the color, and I understand it isn't meant to be as bright as the stock bulbs, but I thought it would be a little brighter than what it is.

Here's a few pictures taken on a CLOUDY day from around 3 car lengths away. (One picture is a few steps closer than the other).

And here is a picture from around 1 car length away:

I wish they were brighter, during a sunny day you probably wouldn't even notice if the lights were on or not.

BTW: I also picked up the license plate LEDs from them with the DRL order. They aren't as blue as the picture makes it seem.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 766 Likes on 551 Posts
Originally Posted by chinkwapin

heres what it looks like on my '04 AM:
those DRL looks weak as heck. your picture is in a dark shaded area and those drl leds still look not very bright. as a matter of fact, the way it shines, it doesn't even light up half of the reflector housing that it's in.

makes it look cheap and out of place imo
Old 08-04-2011, 08:12 PM
9th Gear

I was thinking about removing my drl's. Is there any way to do this? Like remove a fuse.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would highly recomend the V-LED's drl bulbs and harness. I know some have had issues in the past but I installed mine a few months ago and couldn't be happier. He's a pic on bright sunny day. Hope this helps.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Mons shaver

Originally Posted by jrtls03
I would highly recomend the V-LED's drl bulbs and harness. I know some have had issues in the past but I installed mine a few months ago and couldn't be happier. He's a pic on bright sunny day. Hope this helps.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Is the installation the same? DRL warning light?

Can you send us a link?

I still have time to return the iJDMtoy one if I find something better.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlzHNjg5Lxg

Heres mine installed....bright as fuck...ill try to get a picture without the glare
Old 08-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Mons shaver

Originally Posted by Darkness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlzHNjg5Lxg

Heres mine installed....bright as fuck...ill try to get a picture without the glare
VLED or iJDMToy?

If VLED, send me the link. I can't find it on their site.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Mons shaver

Okay found the VLED link.

Wouldn't you know... Out of stock (like everything else at VLED).

I was looking at the set up and it looks to be almost identical LEDs as the iJDMToy one. I wonder if its the same?
Old 08-06-2011, 05:41 AM
.:dedicated:.

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
those DRL looks weak as heck. your picture is in a dark shaded area and those drl leds still look not very bright. as a matter of fact, the way it shines, it doesn't even light up half of the reflector housing that it's in.

makes it look cheap and out of place imo
They look much better in person but thanks for your honesty. DRLs aren't supposed to be super bright, they just allow you to be seen better during the daytime, so they do the job. iPhone photo quality sucks
Old 08-06-2011, 06:25 PM
10th Gear

Much cleaner than stock Nice setup OP!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Pearl 2 - 08 TL TypeS MT

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys. I had my DRL LEDz installed but had it re-wired on an independent switch which i mounted under the dash. That allows me to turn it on and off if and when i want and also to have it on at night with the low beams, park lights and fogs. Otherwise they will turn off automatically once u turn on yur lights or the auto function turns them on 4 u when it gets dark. My DRL in dash light stays on but i ignore it. That's because the LEDz use less voltage than the regular stock yellows so the sensor assumes that one of yur bulbs are blown or some other simple issue. Mine are pretty bright in the day to the point where a cop stopped me and asked me y i had my brights on. But they don't show that brightness at night on the street for nothing! barely even shines a few feet on the street in front of u but since that's not the purpose of DRL then it's fine. DaytimeRL!!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Cruisin'

just installed these on mine, 08' Base TL, the DRL light came on guess its only on the 07' that it bypasses the the error codes.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Mons shaver

I just returned the iJDMToy DRL set up.

Just not bright enough for me. Especially living out here in Hawaii where it is sunny pretty much all year long. I don't need it to be blindingly bright, but at least be visible from a few car lengths away. It was a nice color and did really look nice at night and in the late evenings.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 766 Likes on 551 Posts
Originally Posted by magnod
I just returned the iJDMToy DRL set up.

Just not bright enough for me. Especially living out here in Hawaii where it is sunny pretty much all year long. I don't need it to be blindingly bright, but at least be visible from a few car lengths away. It was a nice color and did really look nice at night and in the late evenings.
try these out! http://www.jlclightings.com/9005_LED..._p/sku_066.htm
Old 08-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Mons shaver

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
Do you have them on? They look exactly like the iJDMToy ones, in appearance and stats.

I think the VLED one may have been brighter, but they stopped making it.

Quick Reply: Installed LED DRLs (Comparison Photos)