Finally Cleared-Out my Headlights, Type-S Diffusers, Custon Clear Reflectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:16 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Thumbs up Finally Cleared-Out my Headlights, Type-S Diffusers, Custon Clear Reflectors

So ive been working on this project for a little while now, mainly just collecting the parts needed to do the mod Other than that it was Breeze. I used the methods that are written here on azine, mainly this thread here.https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/pics-cleared-out-my-headlights-using-diys-forum-3g-garage-g-046-a-597188/
so props to Maddizm.

I wanted a set that was all clear not blacked out, it seems as though almost everybody has blacked-out headlights nowadays, so that was my inspiration to do something just a bit different even though ebay beat me to it lol at least mine are all oem.

materials that i had to aquire were Type-S clear diffusers, and a special clear reflector that i removed from a set of taillights (rather not mention the type of car to keep my set as unique as possible, use your imagination)

tools that were used were a dremel, flat head screw driver, razor, thick work gloves, silicone glue, snips, and lots of patience lol. That was just to clear the lights.

Almost forgot i also installed some ZKW-r's and some switchbacks.
i do have a small problem after intalling the switchbacks one side blinks normal without any resistors and the other hyper blinks. i know i need to install resistors to stop the hyper blinking but how come one side blinks normal without resistors?

on to the pics. Sorry for the dirty car.....

Old 05-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Looks good!
The following users liked this post:
Bira (09-12-2013)
Old 05-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Looks really good man! I appreciate the custom work you put into your lights. Why did you choose to leave the fog light area chrome? Wait you have two sets of fogs? Upper and lower?
Old 05-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like!! Good job. I don't have patience to do mine...
Old 05-30-2010, 08:04 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:09 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Looks good!
Thanx

Originally Posted by jptl04
Looks really good man! I appreciate the custom work you put into your lights. Why did you choose to leave the fog light area chrome? Wait you have two sets of fogs? Upper and lower?
Thank man,
I just wanted the all chrome/Cleared-out look. and yeah i have two sets of fogs, Upper and Lower So freakin Bright.

Originally Posted by WluvC0124
I like!! Good job. I don't have patience to do mine...
Thanx Shanti,
Lol its not that bad, i can give you a hand if you like.....Just trade me your rear tag holder

Last edited by acura_dipset_tl; 05-30-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 9,500 Likes on 6,171 Posts
Damn those look great! I really like them
Old 05-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by acura_dipset_tl
Thanx Shanti,
Lol its not that bad, i can give you a hand if you like.....Just trade me your rear tag holder
lol hmmmm. Cleared headlights minus tag holder OR Just becuz and give it to Wyn...? haha yal battle it out!
Old 05-30-2010, 09:09 PM
OCD

Received 126 Likes on 43 Posts
I like how you painted the shroud around the foglights!
Old 05-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,961 Likes on 14,481 Posts
Looks really good. Had mine looked like that (not showing the cheap chrome) I would have left them cleared.

I'm not sure I follow...those are the clear diffusers for the lights, right? So is that reflector part the part you took from a taillight? not sure what you meant. Either way, SHARE THE LOVE. I promise I won't copy you but help your fellow aziners out if you came up with a great idea!
Old 05-30-2010, 09:42 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Damn those look great! I really like them
Thanx

Originally Posted by WluvC0124
lol hmmmm. Cleared headlights minus tag holder OR Just becuz and give it to Wyn...? haha yal battle it out!
? LOL

Originally Posted by Roger555
I like how you painted the shroud around the foglights!
Thanx, i had to do some serious work to get those to fit right, then got em painted NBP.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Looks really good. Had mine looked like that (not showing the cheap chrome) I would have left them cleared.

I'm not sure I follow...those are the clear diffusers for the lights, right? So is that reflector part the part you took from a taillight? not sure what you meant. Either way, SHARE THE LOVE. I promise I won't copy you but help your fellow aziners out if you came up with a great idea!
Yeah you got it!
the clear diffusers came from a set of Type-S headlights and since those also come with the amber corner reflectors i took them off and made my own clear ones out of the material that was inside the Pair of tailights that i was talking about. (dont really want to reveal what car but lets just say it's in the honda/acura family)
Old 05-31-2010, 05:42 AM
Phmbm12

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
your side markers are white? how'd you do that?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:07 AM

turn signal parking light you mean?
His sidemarkers looks stock to me.
If that's what you meant the it's from switchback LED's.

PS...great job on the lights. I like this look better than the carbon fiber inserts in the corners.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:07 AM

S2000?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:08 AM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Originally Posted by Phambam12
your side markers are white? how'd you do that?
Yeah they are white. I opened them up and installed some white led in them.

turn signal parking light you mean?
His sidemarkers looks stock to me.
If that's what you meant the it's from switchback LED's.

PS...great job on the lights. I like this look better than the carbon fiber inserts in the corners.
They are stock sidemarker but they have white led's in them.
The switchbacks are bulbs that replace the stock turn signal bulbs.
Thanx for the compliment
S2000?
NO! Lol
Old 05-31-2010, 01:26 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
I love it.. Must be from from the honda accord or integra..
Old 05-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Kro
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
gorgeous
Old 05-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Wonderful job. I really like it, although it is unique, it isn't too noticeable from the average tl cleared lights. I can only tell a slight difference...
Old 05-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
looks sweet bro...keep up the good work
Old 05-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Phmbm12

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
is there any threads with PICTURES of doing the sidemarkers? all the threads i looked at have no pictures
Old 05-31-2010, 06:35 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Originally Posted by ILLustriousUA6
I love it.. Must be from from the honda accord or integra..
Thanx man,..................... Keep Guessing

Originally Posted by Kro
gorgeous
Thanx

Originally Posted by d-townhakuzo
Wonderful job. I really like it, although it is unique, it isn't too noticeable from the average tl cleared lights. I can only tell a slight difference...
Thanx bro, it was somewhat time consuming, as far as the uniqueness the pics dont do them justice you'd have to seem them in person, and the light output is noticeable like day and night from the ones without clear diffusers.

Originally Posted by 07tl-s6spd
looks sweet bro...keep up the good work
Thanx

Originally Posted by Phambam12
is there any threads with PICTURES of doing the sidemarkers? all the threads i looked at have no pictures
Yeah there is somewhere around here i forgot what the thread is called though, keep searching my friend im sure you'll find it.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:42 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
looks great man! Honda civic (96-00) rear tail light reflectors? lol Thats what they look like to me!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:10 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Originally Posted by bzyrice
looks great man! Honda civic (96-00) rear tail light reflectors? lol Thats what they look like to me!
Thanx man, all that hard work finally payed off.
nice guess but NOPE! lol
Old 05-31-2010, 10:40 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're killin em with this job homie...well executed Hope you get that hyper blink situation straightened out.

And thank you for the help with the Type S honeycombe conversion, i will be doin this project soon - your ride is on point with it! (awesome pictures for me to visualize it on my car)

Again, thanks bro
Old 05-31-2010, 11:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Very clean Dipset. I love the non-Amber look too.

National Acura Meet-June 6th/Kansas City-COMING THIS SUNDAY!!!.
Click here for details and to sign up!

Old 06-01-2010, 12:23 AM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Originally Posted by tl_rox
You're killin em with this job homie...well executed Hope you get that hyper blink situation straightened out.

And thank you for the help with the Type S honeycombe conversion, i will be doin this project soon - your ride is on point with it! (awesome pictures for me to visualize it on my car)

Again, thanks bro
Thanx for the kind words, and I'm glad I could help you out.

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Thanx
Old 06-01-2010, 01:53 AM
< ------ Stunt'N ------ >

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
i like it...looks sharp!
Old 06-01-2010, 12:05 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by acura_dipset_tl
I used the methods that are written here on azine, mainly this thread here.https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597188
so props to Maddizm.

(rather not mention the type of car to keep my set as unique as possible, use your imagination)
Yea your car looks nice but here's the thing; your statement I quoted above in red is pretty selfish; I've seen similar statements by members in other threads so I think this time I will address it.

People put threads up about their mods to show them off (Which is fine, but of limited purpusefulness to anyone else) Then you have people who will do a thread with a DIY. This is the ultimate contribution because you are potentially helping 100s of people.

I have gratefully used so many DIY and advice from members. I have come up with a few unique ideas myself, why not share? Though the individual mod may be copied the overall combinations of mods you have on your car will make your VEHICLE unique. Who cares if someone copies, that car will be half way accross the country anyways. I see TLs on the road everyday but I only see modded ones maybe once in 2 wks. AZine members are a select bunch.

So why not share a new technique? Many of us have in fact been wondering where to source those clear reflectors. It's the least you can do to give back to the AZine community, as you referenced above you got ideas from this mod from someone else's thread. That person can call you a copycat or a leech. Imagine the first person who cleared headlights back in the day said, "I don't want to share, figure it out guys." Great attitude. By just posting pics of your mods you don't contribute much. There are thousands of threads of cars with headlight mods.

People who help and contribute are the ones that make a difference in this world.
The following users liked this post:
robocam (04-26-2014)
Old 06-01-2010, 01:00 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looking good I have to re do mines since condensation has been building in both the headlights lately
Old 06-01-2010, 05:53 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Yea your car looks nice but here's the thing; your statement I quoted above in red is pretty selfish; I've seen similar statements by members in other threads so I think this time I will address it.

People put threads up about their mods to show them off (Which is fine, but of limited purpusefulness to anyone else) Then you have people who will do a thread with a DIY. This is the ultimate contribution because you are potentially helping 100s of people.

I have gratefully used so many DIY and advice from members. I have come up with a few unique ideas myself, why not share? Though the individual mod may be copied the overall combinations of mods you have on your car will make your VEHICLE unique. Who cares if someone copies, that car will be half way accross the country anyways. I see TLs on the road everyday but I only see modded ones maybe once in 2 wks. AZine members are a select bunch.

So why not share a new technique? Many of us have in fact been wondering where to source those clear reflectors. It's the least you can do to give back to the AZine community, as you referenced above you got ideas from this mod from someone else's thread. That person can call you a copycat or a leech. Imagine the first person who cleared headlights back in the day said, "I don't want to share, figure it out guys." Great attitude. By just posting pics of your mods you don't contribute much. There are thousands of threads of cars with headlight mods.

People who help and contribute are the ones that make a difference in this world.
Well Rocky, I thank you for your post and i appreciate your passion toward the issue, and im sorry you feel that im being selfish; But to be completely honest its not that serious. It was not my intent to hide or withhold information about anything, Im just trying to encourage people to THINK and use there IMAGINATION. Theres all type of materials out there that can be used for just about anything with the right tools.

Many people make teaser threads and everybody just goes with it. im sure the jig will be up sooner or later, i hear there's a guy over in the main TL forum whose already in the production phase of making clear diffusers im sure he'll be making clear reflectors or even differrent colored ones.
In all this is not a DIY thats why it's in the photograph gallery, I hope you dont take this the wrong way not my intent. After all these clear reflectors are everywhere if you just look hard enough you'll find them. Example Bicycles have them on the spoke of the wheels.

Lastly you said that the person who made the DIY thread on clearing the lights out could call me a copy cat or a leech? I dont think so especially if the thread is giving you specific instructions on how to do it. not the case with this thread just pictures to stimulate your mind and show that when theres a will theres a way.

Again please dont take this the wrong way Rocky, If theres enough interest on the source for the clear reflectors i will post it. Dont want to let my fellow aziners feel like im sitting on gold and not sharing lol
Old 06-01-2010, 05:57 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Originally Posted by 20TwozZZZzz
i like it...looks sharp!
Thanx.

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
looking good I have to re do mines since condensation has been building in both the headlights lately
That what im afraid off thats why i put a bout load of that silicone stuff on mine. hope it hold up.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
For the hyperflashing---Check your wiretaps on the resistors. Mine gave me a fit on one side. I had to cut away the wire to clean insulation and re-install. Once they tap, wrap them up tight with electrical tape and they should be good.
Real nice job. We have got to get our cars together for a shoot soon! I'm in B'more everyday for work so hit me up!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:15 PM

I was kinda getting at the sharing thing too btw...I usually like to share with others when I come up with a good idea although I DO encourage people to think outside the box too!

Anyway, for all you people with condensation issues. I think I've figured it out based on a hypothesis I had about the humidity (condensation) being trapped inside the light and NOT coming from a bad seal on the lense. I came up with this after putting my oem lights in the attic for 3 weeks then putting them on the car and ending up with condensation from a pair of lights I KNOW hadn't been opened.

A little ingenuity, some teflon tape a blow dryer and some garden hose and voila...on my 2nd set of lights that I have gotten rid of humidity for good.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/headlight-condensation-cold-water-what-please-help-763392/
Old 06-01-2010, 11:02 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Originally Posted by dwb993
For the hyperflashing---Check your wiretaps on the resistors. Mine gave me a fit on one side. I had to cut away the wire to clean insulation and re-install. Once they tap, wrap them up tight with electrical tape and they should be good.
Real nice job. We have got to get our cars together for a shoot soon! I'm in B'more everyday for work so hit me up!
Well thats the thing dave i dont have resistors installed yet that's why i find it weird that one side is blinking normal and the onther side is hyper blinking.

what area in baltimore are you usually in harbor? shoot me a pm and im sure we can work something out, would love to do a photo shoot.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Look like my custom clear reflectors on TL-S diffusers, except I tinted mine. Looks good.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:16 PM

Maybe put 1 bulb in backward, although normally that would cause it to not light up.

I know that when I did the switchbacks, they blinked normally for hazard, but fast for turn signal. Must be a balance in the current going to one side vs. the other or you got wires crossed. Have you installed resistors or something else to anything else on that circuit?
Old 06-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Doin' The Damn Thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man your car flows nicely, all the white and clear and the subtle chrome looks like an iceberg lol
Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Maybe put 1 bulb in backward, although normally that would cause it to not light up.

I know that when I did the switchbacks, they blinked normally for hazard, but fast for turn signal. Must be a balance in the current going to one side vs. the other or you got wires crossed. Have you installed resistors or something else to anything else on that circuit?
Mine also did both of these symptoms---would not light when inserted incorrectly and normal hazard/hyper turn. I would check the trunk and hood areas for an already existing resistor. If I could not find one, I would install the resistors to see what happens. Make sure you get a good connection with the taps, then secure everything with electrical tape.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh i want mine clear.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Looks good. I would re-do my headlights if I had a set of those reflectors. And I agree with Rockyfeller...share the wealth dude! Everyone on here clears their headlights because someone else on the forum showed us how.

Quick Reply: Finally Cleared-Out my Headlights, Type-S Diffusers, Custon Clear Reflectors