Chrome and white-out front end in-progress update

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:01 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I see what you are saying about the TL-S hood piece. But it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. This is definitely an original idea! It looks nicely done! Not really much more that you could do that wouldn't make it redundant. I am not a fan of the lower grill chrome strips either. Perhaps the word you guys are looking for to describe them is ricey? If you aren't going to make the lower grill black, then just leave it alone. It looks better that way. I know you were trying to keep that theme going.

I see your vision now bro! I can see it better if you back up and take some distant shots!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darksom1
I see what you are saying about the TL-S hood piece. But it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. This is definitely an original idea! It looks nicely done! Not really much more that you could do that wouldn't make it redundant. I am not a fan of the lower grill chrome strips either. Perhaps the word you guys are looking for to describe them is ricey? If you aren't going to make the lower grill black, then just leave it alone. It looks better that way. I know you were trying to keep that theme going.

I see your vision now bro! I can see it better if you back up and take some distant shots!
It doesn't stick out like a sore thumb -- you're right -- but it is noticeable, especially to those of us who are perfectionists, which I know a lot of us on this Acurazine forum are. I gotta get my $hit correct before the big All-Cali meet so I don't get dumped on any more than necessary!

I'll get some pics of farther away so you and chill_dog can get a better understanding of the look. Like I was saying, though, I think I'm going to nix the chrome strips on the grill and go with the A-C-U-R-A decals instead.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brett - what kinda rims are you thinking of tossing on there? That chrom looks so good - would chrome Aspec's take it over the top?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Originally Posted by SteveP66
Brett - what kinda rims are you thinking of tossing on there? That chrom looks so good - would chrome Aspec's take it over the top?
I'm going to be getting these rims (caution: photoshop):

They're called HR-2 by MRR design, and I'll be getting them in Diamond Cut finish. Thanks to recognized1 for the inspiration; he has Hyperblack finish HR-2s on his NBP. I'm pretty sure these are my favorite rims of all-time. I'm not getting them in chrome finish because that would just be too much in my opinion. Too blingy. Can you believe I said that, Steve?!

I used to like the original Millie Miglia Spiders, but they don't make those anymore.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:20 PM
2006 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally hate the look, but it's your car. Might look nice with a lip though.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Must be these.........

Those will look cool.............
Old 04-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

brett - see your new screen name and profile please.....

chromeallica
Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fettish

LOL......just teasing
Old 04-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Godfather of Chrome

brett - see your new screen name and profile please.....

chromeallica
Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fettish

LOL......just teasing
Ha! Too much! The funny thing is I've never had a "thing" for chrome until I started drving this car. For some reason, it just seemed like it needed it. Seems to be working out so far.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by JoeyASPEC
I personally hate the look, but it's your car. Might look nice with a lip though.
Ouch.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by brettallica
Ha! Too much! The funny thing is I've never had a "thing" for chrome until I started drving this car. For some reason, it just seemed like it needed it. Seems to be working out so far.
It is working my friend......looks sharp.

.............I'm riding the fence because I don't think the satin finish looks that bad with my ASM. Time will tell.........I found a place in MA (close to RI) that chromes!! I have to get in touch with them soon and see what they can do. I might give it a try this year....lol But you know I got a pile of stuff to do
Old 04-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Godfather of Chrome

It is working my friend......looks sharp.

.............I'm riding the fence because I don't think the satin finish looks that bad with my ASM. Time will tell.........I found a place in MA (close to RI) that chromes!! I have to get in touch with them soon and see what they can do. I might give it a try this year....lol But you know I got a pile of stuff to do
Yeah, I kind of agree with you on that one. The two grey colors for the TL probably look pretty good with the satin finish trim pieces. Not sure if chrome would automatically make it look better, but then again you could always try it. Mine is all completely reversible since I kept all my OEM parts.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Yeah, I kind of agree with you on that one. The two grey colors for the TL probably look pretty good with the satin finish trim pieces. Not sure if chrome would automatically make it look better, but then again you could always try it. Mine is all completely reversible since I kept all my OEM parts.

Yeah I've been trying to imagine the grill area chrome.......... can't get a good feeling for it yet and I hate to go through the expense just to try it and maybe not like it.....

Old 04-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Yeah I've been trying to imagine the grill area chrome.......... can't get a good feeling for it yet and I hate to go through the expense just to try it and maybe not like it.....
Believe me, I know what you mean. I went through the process myself. Your car still looks great. One thing I KNOW will look great on your ride a fresh set of cleared headlights. I'm thinking even blacking the inside of the housing would set it off nicely, too. Oh yeah and it looks like you added something to your lower grills. Looks good.

Another thing you can do is go to your nearest dealership and check out the 2007 TL-S in your color, as that'll give you an idea of what chrome will look like...ya know?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Believe me, I know what you mean. I went through the process myself. Your car still looks great. One thing I KNOW will look great on your ride a fresh set of cleared headlights. I'm thinking even blacking the inside of the housing would set it off nicely, too. Oh yeah and it looks like you added something to your lower grills. Looks good.

Another thing you can do is go to your nearest dealership and check out the 2007 TL-S in your color, as that'll give you an idea of what chrome will look like...ya know?

Ya know - the cleared headlight doesn't do it for me - for some reason I like the amber lens in there. Maybe it's just me........

I did add the chrome to the lower grills (from eBay) but in all honesty it looked like shit after a few months (cracked and loosing it's fake chrome look).......so I took them off and tossed them in the trash.....lol

I have the TLS lower honeycomb grills going in there soon with the 07 base TL satin bars. (fogs included).
Old 04-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Ya know - the cleared headlight doesn't do it for me - for some reason I like the amber lens in there. Maybe it's just me........

I did add the chrome to the lower grills (from eBay) but in all honesty it looked like shit after a few months (cracked and loosing it's fake chrome look).......so I took them off and tossed them in the trash.....lol

I have the TLS lower honeycomb grills going in there soon with the 07 base TL satin bars. (fogs included).
Thanks for the heads-up. I had a feeling they would start to do that. Mine don't even look all that chromey anyway and they are brand new. Fortunately it was a super-cheap mod, and it's pretty non-permanent so I'm not too worried about it. I'm still thinking about going with the ACURA domed decals in chrome.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

I didn't want to burst you bubble but they will look like crap after getting wet and exposed to the sun.

I only WISH I could use the dome ACURA emblem ..........but in RI we must have a front plate (grrrrr)......kills me to have to cover that up.

The cleared lights looks great and I give you (and the others) a ton of credit for going through that effort. But I'm a 1960's hippy LOL...........10 years younger I might go through with it but lights in my oven... (scream)......scares me. I can live with the amber - they match my side markers...LOL
Old 04-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Godfather of Chrome

I didn't want to burst you bubble but they will look like crap after getting wet and exposed to the sun.

I only WISH I could use the dome ACURA emblem ..........but in RI we must have a front plate (grrrrr)......kills me to have to cover that up.

The cleared lights looks great and I give you (and the others) a ton of credit for going through that effort. But I'm a 1960's hippy LOL...........10 years younger I might go through with it but lights in my oven... (scream)......scares me. I can live with the amber - they match my side markers...LOL
I'm sure your sentiment echos that of most people who have done the headlight mod, as they are verbatim of what I was feeling while doing it myself. I figured that so many people have done it, it must be OK (and no, I woudn't jump off a bridge if everyone else did, too).

As far as the front license plate, it is California law to have one, too, but I'm just gonna run with it until I get a fix-it ticket. Then I'll just mount it, have it signed off, then remove it again. The car looks too awesome without the license plate on the front in my opinion to keep it on there.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Oh I'm sure it can be done pretty easily following the 1,672 threads on it....LOL. I just know if I did it I would be in trouble........it looks like much more than I really want to tackle. The amber doesn't look bad IMO when you still have the amber side lights running.

I have my sights set on Aspec rims and new tires next.......

The State Cops are bad in RI - and even the locals............they will pull me right over day 1 without a front plate.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Advanced

Too much white IMO. Love the chrome grill though.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:50 AM
2007 Silver TL

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
not really feeling the all-white thing....can't really pin point it...

Old 04-21-2007, 01:08 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Uni Color Look

Looks good Bret, pictures sometimes do not do the justice, have to see it in person.

With all the black parts on the body painted body color & cleared lights, it is the "Euro Uni Color Look" in my dictionary, which some may find it too busy (with too much white on the grills in the background) and some find it clean (in real life it actully is not that noticeable).

I poundered with the idea for awhile before I had my lower grills painted anthracite because I was afraid that would make it too busy with the colored grill in the background. At the moment I picked up my car at the body shop I was glad that I got it done. It makes the car look more elegant somehow. It is why those who dig for the agressive sporty look may not like it.

I can see what Bret is trying to achieve. Perhaps taking the trims off the lower grills and put the chorme ACURA emblem Trans offers you may look better. I personally think that the trims on the lower grills sometimes make people perceive one as a 2007 model wannabe, not original enough.

I also thought about taking the grill off on the front grill and put a nice chrome mesh grill on. I say it may look good as well... I just like the look of the grills on the 300M/Aston Martin/Bentley.

Peace
Old 04-21-2007, 10:45 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Verily, let it not be said that darksom1 owed thee, and didst not repay ye in full!

So shall it be done...bump!
Old 04-24-2007, 03:07 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

nice
~Jason