Chrome and white-out front end in-progress update

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brettallica
If I let the comments get to me, I think I'd have bigger issues! Plus, you've got keep in mind that I'm from Santa Cruz, which is basically (hippie) capital of the world, so all I want to do is love, love, love.

Besides, I'm sure there are plenty of things that I don't like about what others are doing. I'm also sure there are plenty of people who think that some of my Jordans are ugly, or that I dress lame, or ___ (fill in the blank). I've got better things to do than to worry about something someone said while hiding behind a computer! This is especially true if they're being excessively rude. If they want to do that, that's their thing.

I come/came to this place for ideas on things to do to my car; I'm also here to share mine and offer my own input. Hopefully it's for the better, for what it's worth.
Amen Bro- Preach to the choir!
Old 03-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
i like the upper grill alot! looks good, the lower grills i don't know about i would have left them black. the all white is too plain IMO. it needs some contrast.

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Brett,
or anyone else.

Has anyone considered cutting/trimming the square shaped mesh out of the back of the grill and replacing it with a nice mesh (ala the lower grill mesh mod)?
i did this https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/news-reporter-interview-iraq-153807/ but haven't had time to finish it. i think it looks ok.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jptl04
i like the upper grill alot! looks good, the lower grills i don't know about i would have left them black. the all white is too plain IMO. it needs some contrast.

i did this https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153807 but haven't had time to finish it. i think it looks ok.
I remember when you posted that. Did you ever end up doing the main grill in the mesh with the smaller holes?

Here's a link to a "progress" type page: {click here}
Old 03-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
A couple of pictures I took of the new grill after its first wash since it was installed (from yesterday):

Pic 1
Pic 2
Old 03-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking at those pics i really like the idea.. but i do think that it needs (maybe grey) or a complete cutout of the mesh. imho i think i am leaning to a complete cutout
Old 03-25-2007, 04:57 PM
blah

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
bretallica, I not sure if it's the angle but it looks like from pic1 that you can see the difference b/t chrome and black chrome pretty well.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Drifting

Looks good Brett!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by Vietnastee
bretallica, I not sure if it's the angle but it looks like from pic1 that you can see the difference b/t chrome and black chrome pretty well.
Nope, it's not the angle; there is a difference. I'm going to be buying another OEM brushed aluminum (standard) hood trim molding and sending it out to the guys who did the wing piece and the v-shaped piece so I can get the good match. Overcast days (like how it was when I took that picture), show the mismatch more. On sunny days, you can't even tell. Either way, though, it'll be swapped out!

Originally Posted by dragonlord
Looks good Brett!
Thank you, thank you. I know it's not everyone's taste, but I sure like it.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by Hardtimes
looking at those pics i really like the idea.. but i do think that it needs (maybe grey) or a complete cutout of the mesh. imho i think i am leaning to a complete cutout
Thanks. I'm definitely considering a number of ways to enhance this mod. I'll certainly consider that, too. One thing I am going to do for sure, though, is to wait until I get my headlight situation cleared up (pun intended).
Old 03-26-2007, 02:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
At the angle of the picture above, it looks really good, but the lower section is a little plain for me as well.

If only I still had the chrome ACURA decals, I would send it to you in a heart beat.

Chrome front decal, chrome trim on the lower grills, and cleared headlights with what you have now will actually look really good!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Kang Ho

I think your car looks pretty sick!! I prefer the black grill though, provide some sort of contrast.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by datmrman
At the angle of the picture above, it looks really good, but the lower section is a little plain for me as well.

If only I still had the chrome ACURA decals, I would send it to you in a heart beat.

Chrome front decal, chrome trim on the lower grills, and cleared headlights with what you have now will actually look really good!
The chrome trim for the lower grills is on the way right now. I ordered it off some dude from eBay (fingers crossed) on Friday. Hopefully I don't get burned, although it was only a few bucks to purchase. None of my local auto parts stores had it.

I'm still working on something to get cleared headlights. I'm very nervous about clearing out my originals, but at this point it's looking like I might have to if I really want that look.

The chrome A-C-U-R-A stickers might not be a bad idea either. Then again, that might be TOO much chrome. Again, I'll be playing around with this look for a while until I get a look that looks right.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by SupaRookie
I think your car looks pretty sick!! I prefer the black grill though, provide some sort of contrast.
Thanks. I migh go back to black ... or ... go with an A-spec front bumper and paint the grill to match the grey trim that's on the A-spec bumper.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:04 AM
10th Gear

That chrome is shinnin!

I
t like it. It is different and kinda reminds me of the new MDX. But not as "sad lamb" looking from the front since it's not as buky as the MDX. I wouldn't mind seenin' it in person. Hopefully Ic an make it to the All-Cali meet.

To be continued...
Old 04-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Hey Brett I have a Chrome decal for the front if you want one.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by Tret
That chrome is shinnin!

I
t like it. It is different and kinda reminds me of the new MDX. But not as "sad lamb" looking from the front since it's not as buky as the MDX. I wouldn't mind seenin' it in person. Hopefully Ic an make it to the All-Cali meet.

To be continued...
Thanks for the kind words...and the bump! I plan on going to the all-California meet, so if you make it there, I'm sure I'll see you. Hopefully by that time I'll have upgraded my rims!

Originally Posted by trancemission
Hey Brett I have a Chrome decal for the front if you want one.
Are you talking about the "A" emblem? Also, is it just OEM or is it one of the ones that you had done? When you say "chrome" I think of the OEM "A" emblem, as it is finished in chrome from the factory. Let me know and I might be interested.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Before:

After:

Old 04-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Are you talking about the "A" emblem? Also, is it just OEM or is it one of the ones that you had done? When you say "chrome" I think of the OEM "A" emblem, as it is finished in chrome from the factory. Let me know and I might be interested.

no, Im talking about a decal for the ACURA insert on the front bumper
Old 04-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by trancemission
no, Im talking about a decal for the ACURA insert on the front bumper
Oooooooh! OK, that makes sense. If you could send me a picture of it so I can see what it looks like, that would be great. I mean I have an idea, but a picture is always nice. Just send it to my personal e-mail so you don't have to waste space hosting it. I'll PM you with my e-mails addresses. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VoLLy_1llusioNz
The chrome doesnt stand out, should of left the grill black.
yeha i thin the black brings it out a lot more
Old 04-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
The cleared heads look good . It definitely helps with the overall look.

EDIT: Oh, and just take the stickers trancemission's offering...you want them.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Intermediate

you guys are funny !
Old 04-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by chill_dog

EDIT: Oh, and just take the stickers trancemission's offering...you want them.
I think you're right. I'm just waiting for pics to get the full scoop. Thanks for the comments. I think if I put on the ACURA decals, then I might skip on the chrome trim for the lower grills, as that might be chrome overkill.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

I was just looking at the large pic you posted in that guy's 1000th post thread...a set of wheels with a chrome lip would look sooooo amazing, regardless of the color the face was painted.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Godfather of Chrome

I was just looking at the large pic you posted in that guy's 1000th post thread...a set of wheels with a chrome lip would look sooooo amazing, regardless of the color the face was painted.
You're telling me! I've already got my wheels picked out and photoshopped onto my car. Thanks to recognized1 for the wheel inspiration. These are basically my favorite wheels of all-time. A close second goes to the Millie Miglia Spiders (the originals, not the second version).

Here's that photoshop:

...and a link to the actual wheels:

Link
Old 04-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Those are some nice looking wheels. When do you plan on getting them?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Those are some nice looking wheels. When do you plan on getting them?
I'm waiting for a few financial things to get settled, most notably the sale of one of my properties, before going ahead with the "frivolous" purchase. Of course, the term "frivolous" is my wife's, not mine! I'm a big fan of five-mag style wheels, so these are right up my alley. If the A-specs came in 19", I would just buy those, but 18" isn't enough of a difference from the stock 17" for me to go through with that (IMO of course).
Old 04-10-2007, 08:21 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the A-specs came in 19", I would just buy those, but 18" isn't enough of a difference from the stock 17" for me to go through with that (IMO of course).
Yup! I agree. But they look hella nice tho. I just can't justify spending the dough for basically what amounts to the same size from a viewing perspective. Ok, let me add the pre-requisite "IMO" before I get drama-mail. LOL!
Old 04-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Now put something chrome towards the bottom. Either chrome trim in the grills and/or chrome ACURA lettering.

When is the A-Spec kit coming?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by datmrman
Now put something chrome towards the bottom. Either chrome trim in the grills and/or chrome ACURA lettering.

When is the A-Spec kit coming?
I need to decide which chrome accents I want to put down there...or whether I want both. I guess the best way to tell would be to go ahead and just put them on and see what happens. I have the chrome strips already, but this weekend was tough schedule-wise, and now it's raining!

As far as the A-Spec kit, I'm not sure if I'll be going with the complete kit. I think I might just do the front bumper cover only. Then again, when I do decide to pull the trigger, knowing my impulsiveness, I'll probably just buy the whole thing. I'm still warming up to the side skirts. At any rate, I'll probably get the kit/bumper after I get my rims.

Originally Posted by darksom1
Yup! I agree. But they look hella nice tho. I just can't justify spending the dough for basically what amounts to the same size from a viewing perspective. Ok, let me add the pre-requisite "IMO" before I get drama-mail. LOL!
I agree with you 100%. That's the only thing holding me back from buying those: the difference between 17" and 18" being so unnoticeable. Always gotta add the "IMO" or else beware. Fortunately I can handle a little non-IMO posting, but unfortunately I couldn't say the same for some others out there! (IMO)
Old 04-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Godfather of Chrome

I put the chrome strips on yesterday

I'm not sure if I love this, but I'm gonna play it out for a little bit and see if it grows on me. I think what I don't like about it is that the chrome isn't super-shiny like the other chrome that's on the grill -- which is "real" chrome.

Anyway, pics:

Old 04-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Need 4 Speed...

Looks good...where did you get the upper grill pieces chromed?
Old 04-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by Juiced_Acura_Kidd
I got it done at Chrome Pros Plating. Give them a call if you're interested. Acurazine members darksom1, Buda, and Trancemission might also be able to provide you with some other options.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Looks good Brett.........I really like that chrome
Old 04-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
something should just leave them black....

I like the chrome parts though. How'd u make them chrome?
Old 04-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
nice
Old 04-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by SteveP66
Looks good Brett.........I really like that chrome
Bling you very much!

Here are a couple more from today:

Complete with Jordan hang tag (on the rearview mirror) and chrome strips on the lower grills.

I think I need to take those strips off and go with the domed A-C-U-R-A decals instead.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by Juiced_Acura_Kidd
Originally Posted by lights
I like the chrome parts though. How'd u make them chrome?
I got it done at Chrome Pros Plating. Give them a call if you're interested. Acurazine members darksom1, Buda, and Trancemission might also be able to provide you with some other options.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

How about a shot of the front from a distance?

Regardless of how that picture turns out, I'm sure I'll echo what you said about removing the strips and putting the chrome lettering on. Even though you have a theme, I've just never liked the chrome strips on the lower grilles...just something about them that doesn't look right to me (same with the ones people put on the door handles).
Old 04-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Godfather of Chrome

How about a shot of the front from a distance?

Regardless of how that picture turns out, I'm sure I'll echo what you said about removing the strips and putting the chrome lettering on. Even though you have a theme, I've just never liked the chrome strips on the lower grilles...just something about them that doesn't look right to me (same with the ones people put on the door handles).
I'm starting to lean that way myself. I've PM-ed Trancemission to see if he wants to sell me those chrome letter decals that he has, but I haven't heard from him.

Oh and an aside: I'm in the process of having a standard OEM brushed aluminum hood molding chromed right now so that it matches the other stuff I had chromed. The TL-S hood molding just doesn't match, and it's really noticeable in certain lighting conditions...and it's kind of bugging me.

Quick Reply: Chrome and white-out front end in-progress update