Chrome and white-out front end in-progress update

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:01 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chrome and white-out front end in-progress update

OK, so if any of you read my other rant in the main 3G TL forum, you'll know that I had quite an issue with my cleared out headlights due to my own miscalculations and such. No one's fault but mine, and I'm aware of that. So for now, no cleared headlights.

Despite that, though, I did get my chrome installed and the rest of my front end painted. I have yet to get "quality" photographs of the semi-finished product, as it was raining today, but here are a couple from when I got home a little while ago:

Reminder: I will have cleared headlights at some point, which will really "finish" the look I'm trying to achieve. I'm also contemplating adding a chrome strip on the center of the lower grills, just to break it up a little down there and give a little more contrast. As it is now, it is pretty much exactly what I was going for and what I envisioned (minus the cleared headlights of course).
Old 03-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
The chrome doesnt stand out, should of left the grill black.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Originally Posted by VoLLy_1llusioNz
Meh.

I can always reverse it, as I have still have the original.

Here's a comparison (keeping in mind the difference in the lighting and the difference in cameras used during the time of the photos):

Old 03-20-2007, 10:27 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
The grill looks great! You definitely need to put a chrome trim piece on each of the lower grills. Right now the grills need a little contrast. Good Job so far.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:12 PM
2006 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WAY, WAAAAAY too much white goin on. I liked it before you painted the lower grilles.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

not really feeling the all-white thing....can't really pin point it...
Old 03-20-2007, 11:15 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The grill (background) blends in good Brett as far as the color (helluva lot of white though - to each his own I guess), but the chrome is not coming off right. It doesn't grab your attention. Did you want it to be so subtle? Doesn't seem like it if you are also going to clear the headlights. I'm curious as to whether or not you are going to leave it that way? Not exactly my cup of tea as you know by the direction I am going with mine. But nah, it's not ghey! LOL! (remember that?)

Maybe it's difficult for me to appreciate it because I want the empty look, where you have a lot going on in there. Not to mention I am a hardcore NBP'er! The antithesis of WDP!

I'll check back when you get the headlights to complete the look.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:23 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I thought about it, and I know what makes it chaotic for me Brett! I know it's a TL, but when you look at the front of it with all of that white, including the lower grill, it looks like one of those older Cadillacs that a retired guy would drive. NO WAY AM I KNOCKING WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Because you are daring to be different and I love that, but that is what is ruining it for me. It makes it look like an old person's car with all of that white going on up there. Either that or Graceland or something is what I am seeing when I look at it too long.

But I hope I haven't offended you becuz you are cool peeps! Just my opinion, but it wasn't meant to be negative in any way! Again, I will check on this when you get the headlights. Keep at it man! As long as you are happy it's cool!
Old 03-20-2007, 11:27 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I think your mono theme looks good. I can see the look you're trying to achieve and can appreciate it. Better than that boring out of place silver. I used to be really into doing that monochromatic look but now my personal taste has changed to do a 2 or 3 color contrast theme.

The chrome is really original and for sure nobody has that on the road! As said once you put a lil chrome accent on the lower grilles and those cleared headlights it will complete the look. I think an A-spec kit would look right at home too.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
I think your mono theme looks good. I can see the look you're trying to achieve and can appreciate it. Better than that boring out of place silver. I used to be really into doing that monochromatic look but now my personal taste has changed to do a 2 or 3 color contrast theme.

The chrome is really original and for sure nobody has that on the road! As said once you put a lil chrome accent on the lower grilles and those cleared headlights it will complete the look. I think an A-spec kit would look right at home too.
Thanks. I appreciate your comments. I hope to really nail that look home once I get the lights done and the lower grill chrome trim installed. I'm still debating on the lower grill chrome trim, but it's a cheap experiment so I'll probably at least give it a shot.

Originally Posted by darksom1
The grill (background) blends in good Brett as far as the color (helluva lot of white though - to each his own I guess), but the chrome is not coming off right. It doesn't grab your attention. Did you want it to be so subtle? Doesn't seem like it if you are also going to clear the headlights. I'm curious as to whether or not you are going to leave it that way? Not exactly my cup of tea as you know by the direction I am going with mine. But nah, it's not ghey! LOL! (remember that?)

Maybe it's difficult for me to appreciate it because I want the empty look, where you have a lot going on in there. Not to mention I am a hardcore NBP'er! The antithesis of WDP!

I'll check back when you get the headlights to complete the look.
I'd have to say, the pictures I took today (really low sun) don't really do the chrome justice as far as the way it looks, but it doesn't really "jump out and grab you" or anything like that either. It's hard to quantify with words or define "the look" I was trying to accomplish, but you could say that I was trying to make it look less sporty and more luxurious. The emotion I wanted to invoke from passers-by is something along the lines of "something about this TL looks different. I don't know what it is, but I like it." So I guess you could say that I did want the subtlety, which was accomplished. The cleared headlights may or may not affect that look; I suppose we'll find out soon enought.

I thought about it, and I know what makes it chaotic for me Brett! I know it's a TL, but when you look at the front of it with all of that white, including the lower grill, it looks like one of those older Cadillacs that a retired guy would drive. NO WAY AM I KNOCKING WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Because you are daring to be different and I love that, but that is what is ruining it for me. It makes it look like an old person's car with all of that white going on up there. Either that or Graceland or something is what I am seeing when I look at it too long.

But I hope I haven't offended you becuz you are cool peeps! Just my opinion, but it wasn't meant to be negative in any way! Again, I will check on this when you get the headlights. Keep at it man! As long as you are happy it's cool!
Dude, no offense taken whatsoever. I had a good laugh at both of your posts. I realize that when I post pictures of a radically new and different modification (that's not to say that it's awesome; just that it's not a typical mod), I am subjecting myself to whatever people can dish out, and I'm OK with that.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I think I will have to wait to see the finish product to make a judgment on this one.

I agree with others though. A silver/chrome trim at the center of the lower grills will add a nice touch!
Old 03-21-2007, 12:39 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by brettallica
Dude, no offense taken whatsoever. I had a good laugh at both of your posts. I realize that when I post pictures of a radically new and different modification (that's not to say that it's awesome; just that it's not a typical mod), I am subjecting myself to whatever people can dish out, and I'm OK with that.
After that last post of yours, I can understand your theme better now. Even though it's not for me, I would have to agree with you that you achieved that (subtle, luxury look). Glad you didn't take offense at my previous comment. Sometimes people can be jerks on here and I wanted you to know I wasn't trying to be.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:22 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VoLLy_1llusioNz
OP, i think he meant the grill behind the Acura symbol.

The white out look has always looked weird to me.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:21 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I tried picturing it with cleared headlights and a chrome strip on the lower grilles, and I think that will help. You say the strip will "break it up"; I think it will help the theme flow.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:25 AM
My Daily Driver

I definitely think it could look good with the lights, but you still need something down below.....a chrome strip would be just right on those lower grills
Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 AM
All the world's a stage

Sorry man, not feeling it. Looks like you've converted your Acura into a Toyota Camry Hybrid

But, it's your car, so do whatever you like.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Suzuka Master

not feeling it at all...it might have looked good if you didn't go OC w/ white out (just a chrome grille)...
Old 03-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Trucki!!

Not a fan, but hey its your car. Maybe I'll see ya at the next meet.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by chill_dog
I tried picturing it with cleared headlights and a chrome strip on the lower grilles, and I think that will help. You say the strip will "break it up"; I think it will help the theme flow.
Yes, you're right. What I meant by "break it up" was more like "make it less monotonous" than having it simply be all white. I do also feel that it will help the theme; I definitely didn't word it right the first time, though.

Originally Posted by lembowski
Not a fan, but hey its your car. Maybe I'll see ya at the next meet.
I think I'll be going to that all-California meet...although now I'm having second thoughts because everyone is gonna dump on my car!! No, but seriously, I think it looks good, and I also feel that it looks better in person than in these pictures. I guess I'll let you and the congregation be the judge.

Originally Posted by -sNaFu*
Sorry man, not feeling it. Looks like you've converted your Acura into a Toyota Camry Hybrid
Actually, that car's grill was an influence for this project. Not that I was trying to make my car look like a Toyota Camry, but I did/do like that look up front in general. There are some other cars that have it, too, like the Civic.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Racer

I dunno.....the car kinda looks like it's wearing lipstick....
Old 03-21-2007, 10:33 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
A black grill would make the chrome pop more. What about adding a Aspec front lip?
Old 03-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
A black grill would make the chrome pop more. What about adding a Aspec front lip?
I've actually thought about going back to the black grill, but I'm going to play this look out for a little bit and see how it goes. I love the idea about the Aspec from lip; I saw datmrman's setup and really like it.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:52 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
It makes it look like an old person's car with all of that white going on up there. Either that or Graceland or something is what I am seeing when I look at it too long.
HAAHA! Interesting comment. I was at Graceland 2 wks ago, his car doesn't look like it at all. How long do you have to look at it until it turns into a house?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Well, whatever the wording, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Making the grilles themselves black (the slats) would be interesting, too...or even a gun metal color similar to the gun metal color in the headlights (and ASPEC lip trim, it you get it).
Old 03-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Here's a better picture of the car's new chrome look. The sun is out today and the weather quite nice, so this is pretty much what it looks like in "true" light, although the sun isn't all the way up yet:

It looks really sharp!

(and yes, that's my reflection in the hood molding)
Old 03-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Well, whatever the wording, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Making the grilles themselves black (the slats) would be interesting, too...or even a gun metal color similar to the gun metal color in the headlights (and ASPEC lip trim, it you get it).
The gunmetal finish might be pretty sweet. Thanks for that suggestion. I think that would be better than black, personally. That one's definitely going on the list of possible enhancements to this mod!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman
I think I will have to wait to see the finish product to make a judgment on this one.

I agree with others though. A silver/chrome trim at the center of the lower grills will add a nice touch!
X2! Just something is not clicking right. Can't wait to see the finished product. I'm glad you're like most of us and don't get offended by comments ( like how mine looks sleepy with the CF eyelids). To each his own. The grille is looking better!
Old 03-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by brettallica
Here's a better picture of the car's new chrome look. The sun is out today and the weather quite nice, so this is pretty much what it looks like in "true" light, although the sun isn't all the way up yet:

It looks really sharp!

(and yes, that's my reflection in the hood molding)

This picture actually does some justice to the way it looks, but I still think the back grill that you painted white, needs to be black. I know your going for the escalade-esque' look, body match all the off colors, and finish it off with some chrome. I do like the look of that, but I don't think it looks aesthetic with the white grill in the back. I'm willing to bet that if you painted it black, you would still have the same "luxurious" effect, while keeping out that eyesore. Hopefully you can make it to the meet.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Drifting

From that angle- it looks sharp. The full front just doesn't look right.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by aznbo187
This picture actually does some justice to the way it looks, but I still think the back grill that you painted white, needs to be black. I know your going for the escalade-esque' look, body match all the off colors, and finish it off with some chrome. I do like the look of that, but I don't think it looks aesthetic with the white grill in the back. I'm willing to bet that if you painted it black, you would still have the same "luxurious" effect, while keeping out that eyesore. Hopefully you can make it to the meet.
Yeah, that's at least twice that someone has suggested that, so I'm definitely considering it. I'm starting to lean toward going with an A-spec front bumper kit, then *possibly* painting the grill to match that grey-ish color that comes on the A-spec front bumper.

Oh, and I'll do my best to get down to the meet. It'll be the first time I've ever been involved in anything like that and I'm starting to get kind of excited about it.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Team Nighthawk member

I love the chrome! Don't know if I'm feeling the white, though. I'll I've to wait and see the finished product.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:33 PM
blah

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I think it looks good up close but then the chrome doesn't stand out from afar. Like others said, you need to have some black or dark color grill to make the chrome stand out.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:49 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

What's happening Brett? Thinking about changing anything or are you pretty set on the look you have? Some of these suggestions mirror my own thoughts (except for the Graceland, of course!). That A-spec lip might turn out to be something that brings the car out from the ??? category. Perhaps give it a little more definition. I would've said personality, but you said the look you have, is the one you want and that would mean we are trying to re-create your product in our own image. Keep it Brettalica! But you know we are saying (well, I am) that you are weird as hell! LOL!

So hey Brett, more thumbs up for doing you buddy, no matter what people think! That makes you cool as hell in my book!

P.S. - Hurry up and get those damn headlights so I can see what I'm looking at!

- Ray
Old 03-22-2007, 01:40 AM
Instructor

Looks like your car has been in an accident. I dont know if you guys notice but I certainly do because my friend deals with salvage cars and I see this all the time. Most shops are lazy and don't mask off things, they just start respraying things and most of the time things that are suppose to be black are sprayed. When I see your car I think instantly it's been in a wreck and the shop did a half assed job.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by limited
Looks like your car has been in an accident. I dont know if you guys notice but I certainly do because my friend deals with salvage cars and I see this all the time. Most shops are lazy and don't mask off things, they just start respraying things and most of the time things that are suppose to be black are sprayed. When I see your car I think instantly it's been in a wreck and the shop did a half assed job.
Yikes. Well that's definitely not the look I'm going for. The funny thing about your comment is when you compare it to what actually happened, it's totally opposite. I paid the body shop to remove my entire front end and spray those things - NOT to just "take a spray gun to the front of the car and go to town."

But I appreciate your feedback nontheless.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Godfather of Chrome

What's happening Brett? Thinking about changing anything or are you pretty set on the look you have? Some of these suggestions mirror my own thoughts (except for the Graceland, of course!). That A-spec lip might turn out to be something that brings the car out from the ??? category. Perhaps give it a little more definition. I would've said personality, but you said the look you have, is the one you want and that would mean we are trying to re-create your product in our own image. Keep it Brettalica! But you know we are saying (well, I am) that you are weird as hell! LOL!

So hey Brett, more thumbs up for doing you buddy, no matter what people think! That makes you cool as hell in my book!

P.S. - Hurry up and get those damn headlights so I can see what I'm looking at!

- Ray
For the time being, I am going to leave it, as I have yet to actually "complete" the original look I was trying to accomplish due to the headlight housing issue...and I've only had it on there for less that two days. After the cleared headlights are installed, I'll take a step back and check out the whole thing and weigh my options. I do have a feeling that once the cleared headlights are in there, it'll look a lot more complete and the theme will be realized, but I'm going to have to wait for that to happen, as I'm trying to decide whether to sell the housings I have now or just swap out my ballasts with ones that will match the housings I had cleared out.

Thanks for your support!
Old 03-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Drifting

Man you've got some thick skin- after all this negative comments. I commend you on sticking to your guns. It's good to banter with you. Good luck and I hope it turns ou the way you want it to. If not, you have the pieces to go back to. You're a class act!
Old 03-22-2007, 10:49 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Brett,
or anyone else.

Has anyone considered cutting/trimming the square shaped mesh out of the back of the grill and replacing it with a nice mesh (ala the lower grill mesh mod)?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:52 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Brett,
or anyone else.

Has anyone considered cutting/trimming the square shaped mesh out of the back of the grill and replacing it with a nice mesh (ala the lower grill mesh mod)?
That would be me. Except, it won't be me taking the tool to it, someone professional. I am definitely replacing the grill mesh with something nice! No cheap sh*t! (Hear that Trancemission?) LOL!
Old 03-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Godfather of Chrome

Originally Posted by dragonlord
Man you've got some thick skin- after all this negative comments. I commend you on sticking to your guns. It's good to banter with you. Good luck and I hope it turns ou the way you want it to. If not, you have the pieces to go back to. You're a class act!
If I let the comments get to me, I think I'd have bigger issues! Plus, you've got keep in mind that I'm from Santa Cruz, which is basically (hippie) capital of the world, so all I want to do is love, love, love.

Besides, I'm sure there are plenty of things that I don't like about what others are doing. I'm also sure there are plenty of people who think that some of my Jordans are ugly, or that I dress lame, or ___ (fill in the blank). I've got better things to do than to worry about something someone said while hiding behind a computer! This is especially true if they're being excessively rude. If they want to do that, that's their thing.

I come/came to this place for ideas on things to do to my car; I'm also here to share mine and offer my own input. Hopefully it's for the better, for what it's worth.

Quick Reply: Chrome and white-out front end in-progress update