cdavis1 (aka "CD") Father/Son Project Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Chapter Leader (Arkansas)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
cdavis1 (aka "CD") Father/Son Project Thread

Well, I figured it was time to start a progress thread. Here are a few pics of me, the wife, and my boy.

We had the pleasure of having dinner and listening to Bush speak at the university where my wife and I work.

We had dinner and listened to Condi speak at the university. She is a lovely lady.

We took these in Florida last year. We had a great time!

Now that the family has been represented, the rest of this is...

...stuff!

So, let the journey begin. My TL was purchased from Riverside Acura in Little Rock. My son has been into cars since he was a toddler. Now that he is older, he and I can enjoy this hobby together...so, enjoy our father/son project car. In about 3 or 4 more years, this car will become his.

Here are some pics of the car just over a year ago (May 2011).

At the end of May, we installed some Eibach's and a set of Hi-Performance Designs, Inc. HD Wheels wrapped in Nexen N3000 ZR245/40.

In June, my son and I attended our first AZine National Meet in Kansas City.

The meet give us some great ideas for the car, so this is where the car has really morphed. Since May 2011, we have completed the following mods:

Audio
-Custom "Envy" fiberglass enclosure
-Kenwood KAC8104D 1000w amp
-Kicker CompVR aluminized 4-ohm 12" subwoofer
-Kicker 4-gauge wiring power kit
-External Sirius Sportster V Replay w/remote (hardwired)
-Panavise Custom Mount for Sirius
-USA Spec PA15-HON3 Interface w/text display

Audio Envy is a small shop located in Searcy that does fantastic work. For the most part, they are custom builders, not just installers (big difference). I originally was running two CompVRs, but the box took up too much space and looked awful! After the enclosure was made by Envy, the system sounds better, louder and clearer.

In July 2012, I installed the USA Spec. It took me about 90 minutes. I could have had it done in about 35 minutes, but my hands are large and I struggled getting the plug back in the back of the head unit. I was hesitant adding this option because I wasn't sure of the sound quality...the quality is amazing! I rain the wires under the center console and out the arm rest (everything is hidden). Now I can add my iTunes music and Pandora to my Sirius.

Brakes
-Stage 2 Sport Package
-RacingBrake ultra performance open slot rotors (front)
-RacingBrake ultra performance slotted rotors (rear)
-RacingBrake ET300 brake pads (front/rear)
-Fastline stainless steel brake lines
-Painted calipers

My rotors were beyond shot. I wasn't getting any squeals, but was slowly getting grinding and lots of pulsating vibrations, particularly on the highway. While Acura is great quality, I've heard the rotors are awful and don't last very long. Therefore, I opted for the full RacingBrake package. Hey, why stop at just the rotors? I also installed Fastline SS lines. The upgrade has been amazing. The car can stop on a dime now. The looks...well, no more nasty Acura rust colored rotors.

Wheels/Suspension
-18" Hi-Performance Designs, Inc. HD Wheels smoke machined black 7.5 width + 34 offset
-Nexen N3000 summer tire ZR245/40
-Motorsport-Technology 5mm hub centric/wheel centric spacers (front)
-Akata 15mm hub centric spacers (rear)
-Rolled fenders (rear only)
-Eibach Pro-kit
-SPC camber kit

I initially was running 5mm Motorsport-Tech spacers in the front and the rear. I purchased a new set of Akata 15mm spacers from a fellow AZine member (they shipped him the wrong spacers) and was stressed the entire time. While my drop is minor in nature (I'm a bit more than 1 inch), I am also running 245 tires and zero negative camber in the rear. I rolled the fenders and put on the Akata spacers...they turned out fantastic. There is no rubbing at all, and I didn't have to adjust my camber. I can still run an aggressive tire and have an aggressive stance (subjective - not nearly aggressive as some of you). They've been on for 10 days now. I wish we would have put them on months ago!

Exhaust
-Call it a modified stage 3 (retained mid-muffler)
-Magnaflow mufflers
-Dynomax resonator replacement
-Custom exhaust tips

I initially had my mid-muffler removed, but the cabin drone was ridiculously loud. I drove it less than one day and quickly decided that it wouldn't work. I went back and had the mid-muffler put back on. The Dynomax and Magnaflow mufflers are perfect. The sound is a very deep growl and is subtle...until you punch it. It has the sound I desired. I couldn't be happier.

Tint
-25% wrapped w/ LLumar (front windshield is wrapped at top and bottom)
-Moleskin wrapped doors

I had the windows retinted about six months ago after the popular vertical scratch lines appeared. I installed some moleskin and after six months, no scratches. By the way, the installer didn't charge me the second time. LLumar is, for the most part, fully backed by its warranty. The installer said that it was my fault because of the car's design. I said, "I know it is; however, it is covered under warranty...so fix it." I told them I would install the moleskin, which should correct the problem.

Aesthetic Modifications - Non Functional
-A-Spec kit
-Roof spoiler
-Trunk lip spoiler
-Acura OEM Smoked Window Visors
-Plasti dipped interior/exterior
-Half smoked headlights

Of all TL mods, the A-Spec, I believe, is the most noticable. I started with the front spoiler. I went two weeks before I purchased the rear underspoiler. I went two more weeks before I realized I wouldn't be happy without the sides (one of my sides had a broken clip causing some noises at highway speed). So, I spent a lot more money buying the pieces separate, but it was worth it. The dealer wanted an obscene amount of $ to install it. My son and I did it in less than 4 hours (the sides took all of 15 minutes). A couple of Kool-Aids and slices of pizza later (my son is 11 - smiling) and it was done. In order to spend the money I do on this car, I have had to learn how to do things myself; otherwise, I couldn't afford it.

Non-Performance Functional Mods
-Customized ACKTL05 Tail lights (OEM Base 07-08 tail lights with blacked out diffuser, black painted bezel, remaining lights smoked)
-07-08 Type-S side markers (rear)
-Garmin GPS (hardwired)
-Nokya Stage I hyper yellow fog lights
-V-leds 6k white license plate high power lights

I just installed the taillights about a six weeks ago. On NBP, the "red tails" were just too "loud" for my liking. I had to remove the bumper to install the A-Spec, which I did about 7 months ago. So, you can appreciate it when I say I did NOT want to have to remove it again (at least this soon). The biggest pain, believe it or not, was having to remove my Envy sub enclosure. But, the total install time was less than 90 minutes. Rerunning the wires and LEDs was simple and easy. Of course I couldn't stop there because the bright red side markers stood out like a sore thumb. So, I ordered a set of Type-S side markers and installed those in less than 10 minutes. The wife loved the change. She said it made the back of the car look meaner and cleaner. When the wife compliments your work (better yet, even NOTICES something you've done to the car), that says a lot!

This pic is not mine (just shows a shot of the tails I have)

Performance Modifications (call it quasi!!!)

-K&N Filter
-See exhaust above and see future mods below

Body/Interior Conditioning
-Meguiar's Deep Chrystal Car Wash
-Meguiar's Clay Bar Kit treatment
-Meguiar's Professional Grade Mirror Glaze (2) Fine Cut Cleaner
-Meguiar's Professional Grade Mirror Glaze (9) Swirl Removal 2.0
-Meguiar's Professional Grade Mirror Glaze (3) Machine Glaze
-Meguair's Professional Grade Mirror Glaze (135) Synthetic Spray Detailer
-Meguiar's Quick Detailer
-Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Conditioner
-Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance High Gloss Tire
-Meguiar's Hot Shine Gloss Tire Spray
-Zaino Wax

The downside of owning a black car? SWIRLS!!! Since owning a black car, I've had to relearn how to wash, dry, and wax a car. It took about a week worth of researching to find the best way to detail the car, riding it of unsightly swirls. Graden, my son, and I spent a weekend detailing the car ourselves. The outcome? A beautiful black car with no swirls and a refined finish (even seeing the flakes). I can only imagine how many hundreds of dollars I saved on this one! Try taking your car to the painters to have this done...

So, here are some pics of "Zippy" today:

Finally, after one short year, here is a quick before and after pic of the car's transformation:

What is next on the list (future mods)?

-Run 10mm spacers in front (will need to add extended studs)
-Custom headlights
-Cold air intake
-And much more... I have YET to take off the front bumper. I actually want to take it off...but I need something to do. Cold air and headlights seem like great reasons, right?!

Cars are a hobby...it helps me refocus, relax, takes my mind off of life, and gives me the needed time with my son. It has been a great project car for us. Now, what next!?

My son reads this...any comments for him (or us)?

CD & Son
The following users liked this post:
IntactACK (10-04-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 04:20 PM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
So i assume your into politics? Great progress so far! And keep up the good work!!
Old 09-03-2012, 04:23 PM
-Brandon

Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
Really cool that you are doing this with your son. I wish I had done something like this with my dad, but he really isn't into car modification

The TL looks great with the A-Spec, but your front end is begging for some headlight love. Properly black them out and you will be golden
Old 09-03-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by LTxArucAx60
So i assume your into politics? Great progress so far! And keep up the good work!!
Politics makes America great and, in some ways, awful! I was a police officer in Michigan and Alaska, and now I work in academia. I guess I've been around politics for 20+ years. If I had a picture of us and Bill Clinton, I would've displayed it. While I enjoy politics (my undergrad is in political science), let's say I can't wait until November when the election is over.

Originally Posted by UA6~RBP
Really cool that you are doing this with your son. I wish I had done something like this with my dad, but he really isn't into car modification

The TL looks great with the A-Spec, but your front end is begging for some headlight love. Properly black them out and you will be golden
My father was never into cars, so I can relate. As far as the headlights, tell me about it. I will be removing the black-out look all together and going with something from ACKTL or JNC.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 09-03-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
CD, nice start for a Progress Thread...you little name dropper, you!
cdavis1 (09-04-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 784 Likes on 558 Posts
Chris, the progress is looking great. Wish you could have been at the Natl meet this year, we had some good times. Hope you guys come up next year.
cdavis1 (09-04-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 371 Posts
Nice house,family,and progress...like everything but Bush,and the wheels are not my taste...good choice on tails..keep up the good work!!!!
cdavis1 (09-04-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
This is great progress thread!!....nice quality father and son time.
cdavis1 (09-04-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Bird is the Word

Received 975 Likes on 632 Posts
Nice progress, ever thought about debadging the rear? It really cleans up everything back there. I like the tails you got, those are what I want to get down the road.

My only complaint is the wheels. They aren't my style, but as long as you like them that's all that matters.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Superstressed

Received 86 Likes on 84 Posts
Great thread, pictures, and nice car
cdavis1 (09-04-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 07:30 PM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Looks great
cdavis1 (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by McCollins23
Chris, the progress is looking great. Wish you could have been at the Natl meet this year, we had some good times. Hope you guys come up next year.
Matt, we missed going this year, but will certainly be there next year. Looking forward to seeing your progress in person.

Originally Posted by Italiano
Nice house,family,and progress...like everything but Bush,and the wheels are not my taste...good choice on tails..keep up the good work!!!!
Appreciate it. After 16 yrs of marriage, it only gets better. No worries on Bush! LOL. Some like the wheels and some don't. I wanted something different than the norm.

Originally Posted by JoeyDiamonds
This is great progress thread!!....nice quality father and son time.
Thanks. Plus, he enjoys getting in the car, turning up the radio, taking drives, or going to AZine events. Who wouldn't want a son like that!?

Originally Posted by Predatorbird
Nice progress, ever thought about debadging the rear? It really cleans up everything back there. I like the tails you got, those are what I want to get down the road.

I thought about it...but I haven't pulled the trigger just yet.

My only complaint is the wheels. They aren't my style, but as long as you like them that's all that matters.
We all have different tastes, that's for sure. I've been happy with them. With the car going to Graden in a few years, I'm not sure if I want to drop $4000 on rims...but perhaps I can get some mileage on them before he takes the wheel. Hum, now I'm thinking...
Old 09-04-2012, 08:05 AM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 50 Posts
nice progress so far bro. your car nbp looks awesome. good job with your son too... he is gonna learn to take care of things...
cdavis1 (09-05-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 04:06 PM

This is a quick shot of the Akata 15mm spacers I put on less than two weeks ago. I was a bit apprehensive (vs. going with a known name like Ichiba, etc.), but I have been happy with these spacers. I must admit that the black color match perfectly with my rims and my RacingBrake rotors.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Redwood Original

Received 188 Likes on 172 Posts
car looks good and a great project to do with your son. my son loves to help me with mine (especially since I told him it was his in six years) The only thing I would change on yours is the wheels, I dont hate them but I dont think they fit the TL
Old 09-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
Y'all's car is coming along nicely. I would look into getting some different rims though.

And theres something that's missing from your to-do list, a BBK.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:47 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Chris!

I can't believe I'm just now finding your thread

It's crazy how much progress you've made since the meet last year! Your car has come a VERY long way

If I were you, I would skip the intake and put that money towards a j-pipe. You get more bang for your buck and it doesn't scream for attention.

And DAMN, who's that stud on the far right?...

Old 09-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Team Owner

Very nice on the Akata's, Chris. Don't worry about them-mine are fine. I've had no issues with them to date!

That photo looks VERY familiar!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Great progress so far
Old 09-11-2012, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by RU_JELLY
car looks good and a great project to do with your son. my son loves to help me with mine (especially since I told him it was his in six years) The only thing I would change on yours is the wheels, I dont hate them but I dont think they fit the TL
Well, our boys aren't too far off in age. My boy is not quite 12 and will start driving at 15. Mom is in-need of a new car in the next year, so I'm shopping for her now. At least you don't "hate" our wheels. They are a bit different than the norm around here. Appreciate the feedback, brother!

Originally Posted by rossv1
Y'all's car is coming along nicely. I would look into getting some different rims though.

And theres something that's missing from your to-do list, a BBK.
Rims, rims. LOL. Thanks for the feedback. A lot of wrench time and sweat (especially in Arkansas...in the summer!!!!), but it has been well worth it. If you are talking about brakes, the RacingBrake package and SS brake lines cost me enough as it was. LOL. Do you think I could talk the wife into it? Let me have you discuss it with her. You don't mind helping, do you?

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Chris!

I can't believe I'm just now finding your thread

It's crazy how much progress you've made since the meet last year! Your car has come a VERY long way

If I were you, I would skip the intake and put that money towards a j-pipe. You get more bang for your buck and it doesn't scream for attention.

And DAMN, who's that stud on the far right?...

Tyler, my friend, greetings to you. I've been doing a bit of research here and there on the j-pipe. You may be on to something there. Thanks. Oh, just send me the cash and I can get it. What!?! It's not like you are a young college student...with a girlfriend. Oh, yes, yes you are. Nevermind, just buy me a coffee during next year's meet. And don't you mean the dude kneeling down on the LEFT side of the picture in the black shirt and white Oakleys? Perhaps Steve?

Perhaps one day our progress thread will have so many pages, like you, that it will require its own Table of Contents and zip code. HAHA!! I check your thread a few times a week. LOL!

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Very nice on the Akata's, Chris. Don't worry about them-mine are fine. I've had no issues with them to date!

That photo looks VERY familiar!
I saw that you had Akata's too. I'm glad to get some positive feedback from others running them as well. Much appreciation...and vote of confidence.

Now, we all just need to add another great photo for next year. Yes, we will be there. Perhaps Tyler too?

Originally Posted by UA6
Great progress so far
Appreciate it, brother!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
Hehe whose car project is it!?!?!
looks like you're having fun with the mods!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:38 AM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
Nice father/son project...Its good to start them young.

My son is already into cars and he is 3 years old. My wife always talks about how I will have him helping me work on our vehicles. I enjoy it and we can have fun together.

Keep up the work.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace
Hehe whose car project is it!?!?!
looks like you're having fun with the mods!
It is our project. When we find something new that we want to add, something big and expensive, my son and I have an arrangement where the project transfers to him. Once this magical transition happens, he can approach his dear mother with said request. How can she say no to her boy!?

Originally Posted by 05_NBP_TL
Nice father/son project...Its good to start them young.

My son is already into cars and he is 3 years old. My wife always talks about how I will have him helping me work on our vehicles. I enjoy it and we can have fun together.

Keep up the work.
Sounds like us! And YOU enjoy those special times and forthcoming moments. It only gets better, my friend.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Team Owner

Yep, looking forward to our next National Meet in June 2013.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:19 PM
2004 TL SSM w/NAVI

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
great project love that you are doing it with your son. this is what i always wanted to do with my dad but we didnt start talking until 5 years ago. i will be doing the same as you but with my 2 daughters! car looks great also!!!
cdavis1 (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Pghpizzaman
great project love that you are doing it with your son. this is what i always wanted to do with my dad but we didnt start talking until 5 years ago. i will be doing the same as you but with my 2 daughters! car looks great also!!!
Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy the time father/daughter(s) time.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Great progress man! Congrats!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:30 PM

We tried getting a group together from Arkansas and Memphis. We had 4 cars, 4 members, and three sons represented. The weather was awful...but we had a good time eating on Beale, cruising the downtown area, and getting some pics.

Here is the next generation of AZine:

Old 09-16-2012, 01:54 PM

Very nice get together

When are you properly blacking out those headlights?
Old 09-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Team Owner

Nice job of getting the guys together, Chris!
cdavis1 (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Very nice get together

When are you properly blacking out those headlights?
Well, I'm working with JnC right now on some quotes, etc. We'll see...
Old 09-17-2012, 11:02 AM

Old 09-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 371 Posts
Tyler,did you say stud?....lol
Old 09-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Old 10-08-2012, 08:00 AM

I haven't posted in a while, so I felt it necessary to get "something" on here. My wife and I both work for a university and had Friday off. We took a drive to Little Rock and went to a movie and enjoyed some time together while our son was in school. Here is a quick pic of the lovely wife (excuse the closed eyes!).

Old 10-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Redwood Original

Received 188 Likes on 172 Posts
dont worry about the low turnout of the meet you tried to set up, thats the one bad thing about trying to do it yourself is half the time people flake on you. thats cool that you got three other father/son duos to go though.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 50 Posts
nice pics man.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by RU_JELLY
dont worry about the low turnout of the meet you tried to set up, thats the one bad thing about trying to do it yourself is half the time people flake on you. thats cool that you got three other father/son duos to go though.
Yes, trying to put things together, but not getting a lot of feedback can be frustrating from time to time. Arkansas is one state that seems nearly impossible to get any interaction. But, we will keep trying...

Originally Posted by arn809
nice pics man.
Appreciate it.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Team Owner

Chris, the car is looking good as ever.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 233 Posts
Great looking car man!

Quick Reply: cdavis1 (aka "CD") Father/Son Project Thread