Carbon Fiber Hood Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 06:42 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Carbon Fiber Hood Pics

Here is pics of the newly installed Versus Motorsports CF Hood that I got off ebay used.... Not the best light out for pics...so it is what it is...but I tried to get shots of what people asked me about...the hood and front of the hood, ect. Basic results/comments would be:

Fitment = Excellent, little adjustment needed for OEM fit. Working safety latch also (rare) as the square hole had already been cut for it by the previous owner...but I understand that they DID have to cut this whole after the fact on the underside of made the safety latch work and remain on the car....I would also say that the hood latches correctly and the hood has enough structural strength to NOT need extra hood pins and latches like on some CF hood products.

Finish = Being used...this is kind of hard to say. I would give this hood a finish grade of 9 out of 10 though...and this is a used hood? Looks good...no visible blems.

Overall Quality = Being used...again....this is hard to grade accurately...but on this used unit...I am gonna give it a 9 out of 10...and it is used? So my guess is...it was a 10 back when it was brand spanking new. As I said in the other thread...I did fill a few minor voids with resin before install and paint pen the edge of it afterwards...which blended my repairs excellently. Not even visible now. It does have the OEM metal supports on the bottom side too..which adds greatly to the rigidity of the unit.

Install Difficulty = 3 out of 10. Easy easy easy. 4 bolts for me and help from a friend. Thats it. I added one washer at the rear most mount point on each hinge to raise the hood to the fender level and also raised the hood catch two notches up to make it latch correctly. Total install time....10-15 minutes total.

Reactions = Weight savings was like WOW. Front end seems WAY lighter resulting in faster weight transfer to some degree. You DO notice the loss of weight in the front end intially...but you really dont have to adjust anything driving-wise for it. Corners the same, ect. (I drove around a day on it with the A-Spec rims before I switched the rims out to the 20" rims just to check it out as the 20" rims handle differently than the 18's do...and thats not the hood)

There it is though....for those that have been asking quality questions and asking for pics...I hope this answers what you wanted to know. I would say, Versus Motorsports CF Hood.....if that is what you were considering...is a good investment in a CF hood. I like the quality and fit and finish. All good here. Bolted right on...no probs!

Old 09-04-2006, 06:51 PM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking good Michael! Very nice
Old 09-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
may I ask how much you paid for it? Im interested in getting one myself, it looks great^^ I didn't want to get some low grade cf hood from ebay, other than the versusmotorsports one, the other ones don't seem to have a brand name
Old 09-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Looks great..If they had a CF trunk even better.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great on the WDP, very nice
Old 09-04-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks good...
Old 09-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Shift Gears

Very nice...glad the buy worked out for you...
Did you black out a portion of your headlights?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:39 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Jshmak
may I ask how much you paid for it? Im interested in getting one myself, it looks great^^ I didn't want to get some low grade cf hood from ebay, other than the versusmotorsports one, the other ones don't seem to have a brand name
This one was used off of ebay and I paid $350 for it plus shipping. Again...it was used off of ebay though but did come in the OEM box which was labeled/printed Versus Motorsports. These run $700 new normally though for the double sided one. There are cheaper ones on ebay from time to time from EMS or something like that.....not sure of the quality of those though. My guess is you get what you pay for there, but you never know till you check it out. I checked out that other company on line before and found that there were reports of Subie WRX's with the scoop on em mid drag race and the scoop would rip right off the top of the hood...so I was always leary of that brand...just cant remember the name right off. Frankly...this one was a calculated risk to some degree...but sometimes that pays off? It happened to be a legitimate deal...but often this is not the case.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:41 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by SIK TL
Very nice...glad the buy worked out for you...
Did you black out a portion of your headlights?
Thanks! No...I have done nothing to my headlights at all...but been thinking about it.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Why do you have two separate threads with the same pics

looks good Mike..
Old 09-04-2006, 09:43 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by trancemission
Why do you have two separate threads with the same pics

looks good Mike..
Because somebody asked me about the rims....and somebody else asked me about the hood. Both threads have different information and highlights to em. That...and just to give you another reason to pick on me I guess? I mean...I figured...people ask for the info...I try to provide? Should I not be doing this? I figured it would just add to the catalog of TL's with 20" rims and the tire thread didnt seem appropriate given it was pics and I didnt see many other pic threads over there. Just trying to add to the catalog of info here on AZ, man...nothing more.....

Oh...and thanks. Appreciate the compliment.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Because somebody asked me about the rims....and somebody else asked me about the hood. Both threads have different information and highlights to em. That...and just to give you another reason to pick on me I guess? I mean...I figured...people ask for the info...I try to provide? Should I not be doing this? I figured it would just add to the catalog of TL's with 20" rims and the tire thread didnt seem appropriate given it was pics and I didnt see many other pic threads over there. Just trying to add to the catalog of info here on AZ, man...nothing more.....
chill out Mike, just a simple question..

could've been done in one. thats all Im sayin
Old 09-04-2006, 09:52 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Oh...I am all Chilly...no probs here? You know I cant ever give a simple answer though.....comes with the sales and marketing background probably....lol!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Oh...I am all Chilly...no probs here? You know I cant ever give a simple answer though.....comes with the sales and marketing background probably....lol!

very true, I shouldve packed a lunch for your answer

I lilke the aspec drop with it. dont need to go any lower than that with 20s in my opinion..
Old 09-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Pro

car looks great Mike...i think im gonna go ahead and get the versus hood now... Thanks alot for the review
Old 09-04-2006, 11:07 PM
10th Gear

I come from a design background. When we're doing sketches and come across an idea that doesn't work, we look at it as getting one bad idea out of the way on the road to a good idea.

Hopefully the carbon fiber hood (and wing) will fall by the side on the way to a better idea...

Just makes the luxurious WDP TL look like another ricer.

But that's just my 2 cents. If you like it, roll with it.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:14 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

hahah i think a lot of us have come to expect that.

and the hood looks pretty damn good.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:07 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Chris H
I come from a design background. When we're doing sketches and come across an idea that doesn't work, we look at it as getting one bad idea out of the way on the road to a good idea.

Hopefully the carbon fiber hood (and wing) will fall by the side on the way to a better idea...

Just makes the luxurious WDP TL look like another ricer.

But that's just my 2 cents. If you like it, roll with it.
I come from a sales and marketing background...and when we are doing sales and marketing plans...we ususally include the types of product we are marketing into the concept somewhere.... We market and sell carbon fiber products....

Thanks for your opinions though. Honestly....I didnt really plan on the outset of sharing any pics here with anybody....as this is more of a "commercial billboard project" in the end....but some members had asked to see the hood and get a report on the quality of hood Versus makes....so I did so to add to the depth of info here on AZ.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:05 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
great price on the hood. looks great man. thanks for the write up.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:58 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by 06_TL
great price on the hood. looks great man. thanks for the write up.
No problem! Thanks!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
looks good, would be nice if you still had the option of putting the grill trim on the hood though
Old 09-05-2006, 09:56 AM
The Boss

could've been done in one. thats all Im sayin

Mike,

I dig the rims... they are awesome, but the white and black contrast of that CF hood is must "meh" to me... I wouldn't say it's ugly... but definitely not my taste. To each it's own though......

Originally I was gonna get that CF hood if you weren't buy it and cut the piece out and put EVO vents on it for my S/C....

nice rims again! I love them CF hood on WDP
Old 09-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking real good Michael........Have you trimmed your A-Spec kit so the 20's don't rubb? Here is a post SoSoGuju posted with pics of what to trim off

Originally Posted by SoSoGuju
i just cut out a piece of the back of the a-spec kit where it was rubbing... then went on a test run and i have sucess!!! no more rubbing!!!

heres a pic of what i cut out (notice where on this peice it was rubbing):

and heres a couple of pics of the a-spec kit after the cut out:

hope this helps
Old 09-05-2006, 10:23 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by lembowski
Looking real good Michael........Have you trimmed your A-Spec kit so the 20's don't rubb? Here is a post SoSoGuju posted with pics of what to trim off
No..I havent had any rubbing issues whatsoever.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:32 AM
acura-cl.com OG

you need tint and blacked out headlights and the car will look clean. IMO it looks kinda incomplete/thrown together as is. blacked out tails may also help.

something about the grille area look funny to me
Old 09-05-2006, 10:44 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by ding069
you need tint and blacked out headlights and the car will look clean. IMO it looks kinda incomplete/thrown together as is. blacked out tails may also help.

something about the grille area look funny to me
Thats because it is incomplete. Not done yet. Was just showing the hood for the people that asked about it?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:49 AM
acura-cl.com OG

Thats because it is incomplete. Not done yet. Was just showing the hood for the people that asked about it?
i have no idea what youve got up your sleeve mikey, i am anxious to see it though.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Man of God.....

I like it! Needs a small scoop though. An 'inie not an outie'!

Hey Michael just wanted to say " I love my CF engine cover!!" Thanks!
I am looking forward to see your new product's!

PS: I too love the rim's .....
Old 09-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Michael, your new hood and wheels look great! And you got a heck of deal on both too.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

I love the hood and the rims, your car has come along way. I got a question, I was reading an old post of your CF hood and you were talking about how you sanded it down and you re-painted the hood or something like that. Did you do anything else other than put it on your car and make it fit right?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No..I havent had any rubbing issues whatsoever.
Whats the specs on the wheels? offset? brand?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:38 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by shayan
I love the hood and the rims, your car has come along way. I got a question, I was reading an old post of your CF hood and you were talking about how you sanded it down and you re-painted the hood or something like that. Did you do anything else other than put it on your car and make it fit right?
The sanding and painting was done on the very edge only...not the top at all. Just filled a few pin holes and voids in the resin....thats all. Other than that...nope....just bolt on and go. I adjusted the height of the hood at the rear with a washer on each side....and the front main latch assembly had to be adjusted up two notches. Thats it. Just bolt, adjust, and go. No fender adjusting or anything like that needed.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Looks like $hit.

Just kidding . The hood looks good, as do the rims...they go well together. Are you going to paint any portion of the hood?
Old 09-05-2006, 01:11 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Looks like $hit.

Just kidding . The hood looks good, as do the rims...they go well together. Are you going to paint any portion of the hood?
We were talking about the possibilites yesterday. Not sure yet.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:18 PM
I (don't) whine.

i agree looks like $hit

haha J/K ... hood looks BADASS . I like the wheels too...

i think that with the black wheels & hood you need tint and dark headlight/tail lights IMO
Old 09-05-2006, 02:03 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
yup, black out the headlights, will look badass
Old 09-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I look forward to seeing what you come up with, as well as what else you do. I agree with the others, too, that the hood and wheels accentuate the need for tint.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Pro

hey mike....i called versus and they said the hood was on BO...DAMN!!!...but when i get it im gonna paint some of it. I was thinking of painting down the ribs of the hood where it raises alittle...something like this (this is a members car but cant remember their name)

Old 09-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Drifting

What gives? Pics have been moved or deleted?
Old 09-05-2006, 05:49 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Mike the pics arent working for me. Can you rehost them or something? thx.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Hood Pics