BigPZ's Progress Thread - Updated 04/11/2012

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
BigPZ's Progress Thread - Updated 04/11/2012

After 3 months of ownership I have finally got around to starting my progress thread. I never intended on doing any mods to this car as I thought it was perfect stock, but that's how we all start right???

January 6, 2011. I didn't even have the car in my possession for 24hrs and got it tinted 17% all around, except for the windshield.

Sorry for the crappy pics - these are the only early ones I have

In February I got a great deal on my aspec kit through a GB from AckTL05, and at first I was going to go with the base front under spoiler ala JPTL04. In fact I was surprised and a little pissed off when the I opened the Big FedEx box, and found that Curry Acura had sent me the Type-S front underspoiler, and not the Base 07-08 one which I originally ordered. I unwrapped it from that foam stuff, and decided to do a half assed test fit just to see how it would look on my car. WOW!! I FELL IN LOVE IMMEDIATELY!! I know lots of people say it looks bug eyed or whatever, and honestly I wasnt the biggest fan at first. BUT...now I think the Type-S front really sets the car off and looks super aggressive.

My wife on the other hand thought I was nuts - she comes out to the garage and my front and rear bumpers are removed, with tools all over the place, and the garage looks like a chop shop. "You have the car one month, and already it's in pieces - You're a F*%@IN Idiot"!!

What do YOU think?

I ordered rims for the car shortly after the aspec kit install, and I'm still waiting for them to come in. Because of the Brembos in the front, it was difficult to find something that I liked, and that fit. It seemd that nothing I liked fit, while nothing that fit, excited me. Eventually I found a shop that deals directly with Vertini, and got a great deal on a set of Vertini Fairlady. 19x8.5 19x9.5 staggered. Apparently the rim shop is going to have the factory custom cut the fronts to clear my brakes, so I'm pretty excited about the exclusivity!!Tires, I'll figure out when the rims come in.

I love the machined finish outlining each spoke, which will ensure that they dont just dissappear into the wheel wells.

Now that I have rims on order, I'd be silly not to drop the car right?? One of the reasons I bought the car is because of its sleek and sexy looks - I definately dont want a DONK!

I did some research on here and decided to go with Megans. I got a great price @ $830 shipped, and I loved the fact that these dampers were basically plug and play. I would also be able to store the stock suspension as a backup, and not have to play with spring compressors and top hats and all that crap.

My order arrived on April 1st, and everything looked amazing!

The install was a little trickier than I thought, mostly because I coulndt find the two bolts that are hidden behind the rear headrests. For anyone that knows these bolts, knows that you have to actually stick your socket through the seat to unbolt the seatback - Stupid things took me like 2 hours to find (would have been 4 if murph145 didn't dumb it down for me and explain their location) THANKS JUSTIN!
Other then that, the install went smoothly.

For anyone that's interested in knowing how low I went, here's what I did. Fresh out of the box I raised the adjustable nut 25 threads on the front dampers, and 7 threads on the rears - I have my boy SharksBreath to thank for that advice - THANKS AARON! What I ended up with was a nice aggressive stance where I was just - and I mean JUST able to pull out the jack when I lowered the car to the ground. The nasty and unsighly gaps were eliminated, leaving a pinky gap at the front and about a regular finger gap at the back.

BEFORE

AFTER

Everything was fine on my way to work on Monday morning. On my way home from work though, there was a loud knocking sound coming from the left front damper every time I went over a bump.

After taking everything apart again when I got home, it turns out that the nut directly beneath the damper adjustment knob was installed loosely from the factory - about an 8th of an inch. So even though the damper was secure to the car, every time I went over a bump, there was an 8th of an inch of travel between this nut and the upper pillowball bearing. I tightened that nut up, put everything back together, and no more noise. I have heard from others that this has also happened to them. So my advice for anyone installing Megans, make sure that the nut directly beneath the damper adjustment knob is tight before you install your dampers.

Last edited by BigPZ; 04-07-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Computer issue
Old 04-07-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Nice progress!

cant wait to see moar!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
looks great joe!

take some more pics of your suspension set up, wheel gap, etc.

keep up the good work!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Registered 3.5L Member

Some more pics of how the car looks after the Megan drop
(car is a bit dirty)

Old 04-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice work dude
Old 04-07-2011, 11:11 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Old 04-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Nice progress! The drop and A-Spec kit changes the whole look of the car!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 PM
UA6mt NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
cant wait to see it with the wheels on
Old 04-07-2011, 05:52 PM
3.5L...enough said

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Whewwwww sweet lookin car! NBP is 2nd on my fav list. Those wheels are gonna be fireeee!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice drop!!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Racer

Just dropped my car today on Tein SS haha. Nice ride. Are you gonna sell your stock wheels?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 PM
6th Gear

looks clean with the drop.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:59 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Looking good Joe, I like what you've done so far.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts
yum!!! lokn fwd to the rims getn on!

haha im glad i was able to point you in the right direction Joe i was at the gym when you called so i didnt hear the first ring
Old 04-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
hey nice drop i know you can change the damper settings on the coil overs my question is how? i mean if you were to change the setting in the back would you have to remove the seat and turn the knob on the top? or is there another way..thanks
Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Ride looks so clean =)

Nice drop.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Cruisin'

love the write up!! Easy and fun to read! Removing the back seat and doing all of that seems too difficult for a noob like me. I would just pay to get it done!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
go lower.. =)
Old 04-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered 3.5L Member

Originally Posted by justnspace
Nice progress!

cant wait to see moar!
Originally Posted by dinks07
nice work dude
Originally Posted by princelybug
Originally Posted by dpFRESH
nice drop!!!!
Originally Posted by 3point5s
looks clean with the drop.
Originally Posted by acura_dipset_tl
Looking good Joe, I like what you've done so far.
Thanks Guys!! I love how it looks now!!!

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
looks great joe!

take some more pics of your suspension set up, wheel gap, etc.

keep up the good work!
Aaron, for some reason I'm not surprised you're one of the first to comment!! Thanks again for your help!

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Nice progress! The drop and A-Spec kit changes the whole look of the car!
I agree 100%..the car looks way different than stock!

Originally Posted by akertulis
cant wait to see it with the wheels on
Originally Posted by 07TLTypeS420
Whewwwww sweet lookin car! NBP is 2nd on my fav list. Those wheels are gonna be fireeee!
I know!! I cant wait for the rims!!! Just hoping its soon
And Joe I'm not kidding, next time I'm down near NJ we gonna have a Spy vs. Spy photo shoot!!

Originally Posted by lylen
Just dropped my car today on Tein SS haha. Nice ride. Are you gonna sell your stock wheels?
Teins, good pickup! And no I'm not gonna sell the waffles...I need rims for the winter...I hate getting it all covered in salt and shit, but I cant really afford another car right now, got married and bought a house last year.

Originally Posted by murph145
yum!!! lokn fwd to the rims getn on!

haha im glad i was able to point you in the right direction Joe i was at the gym when you called so i didnt hear the first ring
Justin you bastard!!! If you weren't trying to get so buff for the ladies you woulda saved me 5 mins of SERIOUS AGGRIVATION!!

Originally Posted by rhafikjaan
hey nice drop i know you can change the damper settings on the coil overs my question is how? i mean if you were to change the setting in the back would you have to remove the seat and turn the knob on the top? or is there another way..thanks
There are adjustment knobs in the center at the top of each damper. On Megans the adjustment range has 32 levels. 0 being the hardest and 32 the softest. Each click in either direction constitutes a change in firmness. Each time you wanna adjust the rear dampers you do have to take out the back seat. BUT now that I know exactly where all the bolts are, it shouldn't take more than 10 mins MAX next time.

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Ride looks so clean =)

Nice drop.
Thanks! Where in Toronto are you?

Originally Posted by Infamous1
love the write up!! Easy and fun to read! Removing the back seat and doing all of that seems too difficult for a noob like me. I would just pay to get it done!
Thanks for the positive comments! Listen noober!! I'm no different than you!! This is why the forum is such a valueable resource!! Aspec kit installs run from $250-$500 (depending on where you go) and suspension installs can run you the same amount. So doing these two mods myself saved me between $500-$1000!! $$$ for more toys!!! I'd rather buy myself a new present than pay some random dude to work on my car + I know that if I take my time I can do it right won't worry later! If you ever need advice holler at me, if I can't help you, I'll know someone who can!!

Originally Posted by absolute_jdm
go lower.. =)
I'll see how she looks with her new shoes...if I have to go lower then I will...ahhh the beauty of coilovers!!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Advanced

where did you order your megans from?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Advanced

thats a perfect drop and hows the ride?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered 3.5L Member

For everyone asking or PMing me about my Megans, I got them from Henry Wong at Statik Performance out of Monterey Park, California.

I know it sounds like a plug, but I was very happy with the way Henry treated me. All in all a very hassle-free transaction.

Originally Posted by vtxcraziexboi
thats a perfect drop and hows the ride?
Thanks! I have my dampers set to 22 front and 23 rear, and the ride is just a little harsher than stock. I only really notice a difference when I go over larger bumps - but you have to remember, the car IS lower to the ground.

Originally Posted by 08A-SPEC
Nice!
^
Thanks! I want my Type-S to be just as UGLY yours!!! Another candidate for a Spy vs. Spy photo shoot!!

Last edited by Steven Bell; 04-22-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Registered 3.5L Member

Since my last post, I wrapped my headlights with bluebat partial overlays while I figure out how exactly I want to black them out for the long term. (I currently have slight fogging issues, which will have to be remedied sooner rather than later). I also tinted the turn signals on my mirrors. The installs were pretty straight forward, but it took me a lot longer for the headlights. With the mirror turn signals, you can heat the vinyl, stretch it to fit, then trim the excess. The partial headlight overlays cannot be stretched too much, or you will deform the cutout for the HIDs.

Some pics I took after a good wash(note the fogging mentioned above)

It's starting to look properly BLACK!!!

I also finished wrapping my front grille shortly after I took the above pics. (SharksBreath thanks again for your advice - This dude seems to know everything about everything with these Type-Ses)
I used Black Glossy Vinyl called "ORACAL Glossy Color Finish Vinyl Car Wrap Sheet" from StickerCity.com. A 60"x1 Foot sheet, which is more than enogh costs $25, making this a very inexpensive mod - if you dont live in Canada. I was only given the following shipping options on their web site:

UPS Worldwide Express Plus - $198.86
UPS Worldwide Express - $154.46
UPS Worldwide Expedited - $133.71
UPS Worldwide Saver - $149.30

...for a $25 product???? Not gonna happen.....So I called them up and long story short had it shipped to my house by express USPS for under $30...still too much if you ask me...

The installation was not too bad, having already removed the bumper a few times. It's a tedious task, but it will turn out as good as the effort you put into it. I'm very particular, and wanted it to turn out perfectly, so all in all it took me about 4 hours. Each part of the grille has to be taken apart, cleaned, dried, wrapped, and put back together.

Here's what it looked like:

Everything disassembled and cleaned

Everything wrapped and ready to be put back together

Ready to be put back on the car

End result!!

I LOVE how it looks, and I cant wait for the Rims!!!

Last edited by BigPZ; 04-28-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
nice progress but you actually let your wife talk to you like that?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
very nice progress lookin for pics with wheels on ... it will def set off the car
Old 04-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Registered 3.5L Member

Originally Posted by myron
nice progress but you actually let your wife talk to you like that?
^ HAHA I know what you mean...she was only half joking (I think). She is only now getting used to finding bumpers and other car parts on our living room floor
Old 04-28-2011, 02:27 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
lookin good man...our cars are starting to look a lot alike.

keep it up!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You sir, have a beastly black car. Very nice. I was a bit skeptical of the vinyl at first.... then I scrolled down to the pictures and you definitely changed my mind. Turned out great

BTW, I'm a TL noob so I'm still forming opinions on vinyl covered grills. lol
Old 04-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Racer

Your car is lookin' real good. I wanna do my grille too, but i'm a bit scared to take it all apart.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 103 Posts
Got to love it
Old 04-28-2011, 03:27 PM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Dude your car is looking great, the grill mod changed the front alot.. I liked your wifes qoute at the end of the first post. Waiting for pics with wheels!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
car looks great man! good job
Old 04-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Registered 3.5L Member

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
lookin good man...our cars are starting to look a lot alike.keep it up!
What's that they say?? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery???

Originally Posted by thampton415
You sir, have a beastly black car. Very nice. I was a bit skeptical of the vinyl at first.... then I scrolled down to the pictures and you definitely changed my mind. Turned out great

BTW, I'm a TL noob so I'm still forming opinions on vinyl covered grills. lol
Vinyl is AMAZING!!! With enough practice, anyone can do it. It's more durable than paint chip-wise, and is 100% reversible - If you screw up, peel it off and try again; if you stop liking it tear it off!!

Originally Posted by lylen
Your car is lookin' real good. I wanna do my grille too, but i'm a bit scared to take it all apart.
Honestly just get the instructions from the 3G Garage. It's not that hard at all. And after you do it once, you'll have no problem doing it again

Originally Posted by VQPower37
very nice progress lookin for pics with wheels on ... it will def set off the car
Originally Posted by I are LEGEND
Got to love it
Thanks for the comments guys!!!Wheels should be on by next weekend!!

Originally Posted by LTxArucAx60
Dude your car is looking great, the grill mod changed the front alot.. I liked your wifes qoute at the end of the first post. Waiting for pics with wheels!
The wife and I have an awesome relationship believe it or not!! She wasn't pissed off or anything, she just thought I was nuts. Who takes apart a perfectly good car?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Pro

when you are referring that you got a good deal on those wheels, what is the price by the numbers?? how much you got it for? i saw those wheels on ebay for 1400 shipped, was it better than that??
Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Excellent job on the headlight tints and the nose. I had BlueBatmobile 6/10 tints on my headlights before I cleared them and installed the LED's. I liked the BlueBat tints a lot....enjoy!

2011 National AcuraZine Meet-Kansas City-June 12, 2011-Details Here!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:53 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Damn that grill looks great. Nicely done sir
Old 04-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts
lovin the color match grill i think black is the only color that can pull it off so nicely!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:40 PM
6SPEED FEVER

Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts
Good call on the wrap......better that painting it IMO
Old 04-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Registered 3.5L Member

Originally Posted by djflex167
when you are referring that you got a good deal on those wheels, what is the price by the numbers?? how much you got it for? i saw those wheels on ebay for 1400 shipped, was it better than that??
MSRP is $400 for the 8.5" fronts and $450 for the 9.5" rears. I paid under $300 per corner. And while $1400 shipped is still a decent price for you, to have them shipped to Canada would cost another $200 + at least $200 more in brokerage fees.So I think I did OK.

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Excellent job on the headlight tints and the nose. I had BlueBatmobile 6/10 tints on my headlights before I cleared them and installed the LED's. I liked the BlueBat tints a lot....enjoy!
Thanks Steven!

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Damn that grill looks great. Nicely done sir
Originally Posted by murph145
lovin the color match grill i think black is the only color that can pull it off so nicely!
Originally Posted by EATSLEEPRACE
Good call on the wrap......better that painting it IMO
Thanks guys!! It was all Mr. SharksBreath and his infinite advice which helped with the project BIG TIME!!

Quick Reply: BigPZ's Progress Thread - Updated 04/11/2012