Arizona Heat Spawns Hot RJ TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 10:11 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice wheels!!! what kind are they, I love the staggard look, but cant afford it...i like wat u did to the hood, where can i get that done, if u dont mind me askin...and RonJon i love ur kit...it was the best decision i ever made!!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SunE1029
nice wheels!!! what kind are they, I love the staggard look, but cant afford it...i like wat u did to the hood, where can i get that done, if u dont mind me askin...and RonJon i love ur kit...it was the best decision i ever made!!
those are ROH Strada Modular w/ i think powdercoated black face.
I found them on one sight. Runs about $995 CDN which is around $890 US? something like that. HOOOT RIMS, but can't afford them haha.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Banned

I had the pleasure to see it in person today for the first and man was I awe struck by the beauty of this car. It was even dirty and dusty, but still impressive.

Added a new look to the vehicle

Old 10-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Weather Watcher

Did you take pics of the whole back of the car? I would love to see side to side comparos of the difference now that the tailights are tinted. Thats a pretty sick looking car - am yet to see a better one.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Advanced

Summary of whats done

I received so many pm's and questions here on the forum so I will try my best to answer them all. First off, thanks a million for all the great comments. It's nice to have your efforts noticed.

Rock Blocker The tailights got smoked today, that was always in the plan I just didn't have them done before the first pics. I met Chad from Rock Blocker today and he is great guy, a car enthusiast and has a great product. He could have just dropped off the material but he went the extra mile and installed the tails for me. He will be doing a custom clear bra install for me in the next week or so. Great vendor. By the way the side markers are also smoked and I am putting clear material over the headlights this weekend to protect those as well.

Wing / Spoiler That is coming. I originally wanted to do a CF lip. I am having trouble finding one, so any help would be appreciated. I saw some TL's with CF lips on this forum about a year ago, but never got a response when a posted where to get one. I also saw one on the red TL at the SEMA show last year. Worse comes to worse I will put the anthracite one on or maybe even a gloss black one to match the trim.

Wheels They are 3pc modular R.O.H Strada wheels. When I first got them over a year ago I was one of the first in the US to have them. I worked with the factory rep here in town and originally wanted 8's in the front and 9's in the rear. They were excited about the car and we ended up with 19x8.5's (38mm offset & 1" lip) in the front and 19x9.5's (41mm offset & 2.5" lip) in the rear. The tires are Toyo T1S's 235/35ZR19 front and 265/30ZR19 rear. The rears look sick from the back of the car especially with the RJ bumper. Somebody mentioned that there were mixed feelings about the rims back when the car was stock but now it just looks right. It was all part of the plan.

Suspension Comptech RSB and Tein SS springs. The car dropped approx 1.25" and has an agressive stance and rides great. There is absolutely no rubbing at all.

Hood The hood is from Custom Carbons in Ca. As you can see we painted the edges and around the front to set off the black grill pieces. There is about 10 coats of uv protective clear on the hood so it will last and the CF looks real deep.

The Grill The grill trim (and the pc above the rear plate) was sanded and painted gloss black to match the wheel centers and windo trim. Somebody asked about it holding up in car washes, this car is not going to see any local carwashes, this is why i have a 12yr old. It is painted and cleared with automotive paint so it will last just like any other car part so car washes won't be a problem. I left the center part that hold the A silver so that it would play off the headlight trim. I will be putting black pinstripe in the recessed grooves.

The RJ vents The vents are powder coated gloss black, again to match the rest of the trim. Since those are flat and rigid, automotive paint would chip easily. So don't paint them at all or powder coat them.

The headlights The headlights are cleared but i left the amber reflector in the corners. I just cut them down with an exacto knife and sanded the edges. I then used rock blocker material to smoke them. I did not use black spray paint to paint the headlights, they are black chromed so I still get relection which looks great in person. The amber turnsignal bulbs and yellow fogs play off the chrome and look great. I have seen other blacked lights but the fog area was left chrome. Since I wanted to use yellow fogs and knew that normally the yellow would wash out the headlights i decided to black chrome that area as well (i did leave the bulb cover shiney chrome though). Now the fogs almost look like DRL's and the HID's aren't washed. I was going for a look here, I have never needed the fogs here in AZ. I will be wiring those to come on without the headlights.

The emblems The emblems are not painted gloss black like the trim pieces. I black chromed them and they look great.

RJ Kit One of the best kits I have ever worked with. The shop I worked with had much props for the kits quality. I bought them unpainted from RJ. I had the fenders painted at the same time as the kit so that all would match. Basically the only things that are not painted are the doors, the roof and the trunk lid. Buy this kit, it is great.

Coming
Exhaust- custom magnaflow (real soon, maybe this weekend)
BBK- 4 wheel slotted and drilled don't know which but talking to a few of them. What color would you make the calipers, RED to stand out of black to match the rest of teh car?
Interior- Leds on the way. Door sills, just need to order them. I plan on doing the seat inserts in a black sued or a black carbon look leather to go with the hood and CF trim pieces.
Second Job- need one to pay for all this, but it is worth it

Sorry for the long post but I couldn't answer every pm or question individually. I hope i got most of your questions answered. Thanks again for the compliments.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

can we get a closeup of those headlights? I want to do the same thing.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
can we get a closeup of those headlights? I want to do the same thing.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Chief

Just wanted to say....TIGHT....this is one of the hottest TL's I've seen on here. Did Carbon Customs make that hood for you only or do they have them out on the market to purchase??? What did you pay for it???
Old 10-23-2005, 11:09 PM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok, one question that was not answered....

did you paint the frame around the rear lisence plate? Not the aluminum piece, but the one with the reverse lights? Thats one thing I want to have done....looks horrible on a NBP.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:31 PM
Advanced

I really like the little details you put into your TL.

Could you comment on the plastic frame section around the liscence plate? I am about to tamper with that part and will probably be making it all gloss or matte black.

To answer your question about the carbon fiber decklid spoiler...Check out www.versusmotorsports.com

They have a double sided carbon fiber hood and a carbon fiber decklid on their website for the 04-07 Acura TL.

I believe that redondo red TL you saw at SEMA is owned by Rohan James(RJ DeVera) The hood and spoiler on that TL is what you would be looking at getting.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by theaccurateghost
I
I believe that redondo red TL you saw at SEMA is owned by Rohan James(RJ DeVera) The hood and spoiler on that TL is what you would be looking at getting.

Interesting.. i never knew RJ had a TL. and knowing him.. he goes all out.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:36 AM
registered !!

Old 10-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Banned

This is a great car and I was honored to work on it then. I cant wait to do the custom Clear bra install as well.

Mario - If you want I would be willing to do a photoshoot with your car as well when you are done with it.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TL-CrAzIe-05
Just wanted to say....TIGHT....this is one of the hottest TL's I've seen on here. Did Carbon Customs make that hood for you only or do they have them out on the market to purchase??? What did you pay for it???

Custom Carbons has the hoods on the market already, I was not the first to buy one from them. It is an exact copy of the stock hood. He sells on ebay and i believe everyday he sells them for $350 or so and that is delivered, if you live in Cali and can pick it up you can save the $80-100 shipping. I did have to drill the four holes from the inside to install the hood trim piece, it is not hard to do.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
ok, one question that was not answered....

did you paint the frame around the rear lisence plate? Not the aluminum piece, but the one with the reverse lights? Thats one thing I want to have done....looks horrible on a NBP.
I am not sure exactly which pc you are talking about so......

The license plate frame is just a gloss black piece with a smoked lense that i bought from teh local auto parts store.

The silver horizontal trim pc below the A was painted gloss black. You need to take the licese frame housing which holds the reverse lights out inorder to get to that trim pc.

I did nothing with the carbon looking license plate / reverse light assembly, it is stock. I was going to black chrome the reverse light reflector lens but it does not come apart.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:33 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Love the staggered look. I am suprise you don't have any rubbing issue for your rear w/1.25 inch lowering. One of the best looking TL in this forum no doubt about it.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Hott !
Old 10-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Advanced

the staggered look is awesome.. got the same thing on my g35.. i got a 4.5 inch rear lip and a 2.5 inch front.. this TL is pure hotness.. the kit flows really well and i love the way this kit looks on darker colors.. i dont think it would look right on a lighter color.. but ne-ways your car is off the chain.. good job man.. *props*
Old 10-29-2005, 11:02 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
what % tint do u have?
Old 10-31-2005, 02:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SilverCL97
what % tint do u have?
The fronts are 35%, darkest allowed in AZ and the rears are 20%. The dealer installed the tint and would not do 20% in the front even when I asked for the re-tint because of teh scratches. I will be changing the fronts to 20% to make it match the rears. At some angles I do not like the variation in color now.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hot
Old 10-31-2005, 09:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by theaccurateghost
I really like the little details you put into your TL.

Could you comment on the plastic frame section around the liscence plate? I am about to tamper with that part and will probably be making it all gloss or matte black.

To answer your question about the carbon fiber decklid spoiler...Check out www.versusmotorsports.com

They have a double sided carbon fiber hood and a carbon fiber decklid on their website for the 04-07 Acura TL.

Or you can buy the carbon fiber rear deck lid from a M3... it's exactly like the one on our TL.... And again, that is the best looking car on the forums.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

This is the hotest TL I seen yet.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
wow, that shit is hot. loving the whole black/gunmetal there. I really like the paint scheme on the CF hood. needs some bigger rims though methinks
Old 11-01-2005, 12:47 AM
White 2000 TL

Very Well Done Perfect
Old 11-02-2005, 08:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pics are gone - exceeded bandwidth. if you PM me i will give you my email addr and I will host them so we can see them again
Old 11-04-2005, 01:44 PM
Pro

all i can say is beautifulllll
Old 11-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Thats probably the nicest Tl on the board. Congrats!
Old 11-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
photobucket...... bandwith exceeded

Old 11-04-2005, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

Please...i'm dying to see your car!!!

Can you repost pics somewhere else? I'm dying to see your car!!!!
Old 11-04-2005, 08:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by won0817
Can you repost pics somewhere else? I'm dying to see your car!!!!
Old 11-05-2005, 12:23 AM
IT OWNS

wtf? Everyone can see your car but me!! Bandwidth exceeded. Everyone has me on the edge of my seat., I need to see this car!!
Old 11-08-2005, 02:13 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Take thousands of photos of your car at day and night time. This is one of the phattest, sickest, illest, nastiest 3rd gen TL's to date.

What's next for your ride?
Old 11-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Advanced

I just got back from SEMA, the car got tons of complements and exposure. I was able to wiggle myself in and out of the car display area in front of the convention center. I heard there was one other TL there but i couldn't find it. The only other one was the 04' concept TL by ACURA.
I am getting hassled from photobucket about exceeding the bandwidth, someone has offered to host the images so they should be up soon.
Thanks for all the comments.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NYFENIXTL
I just got back from SEMA, the car got tons of complements and exposure.......
I am getting hassled from photobucket about exceeding the bandwidth, someone has offered to host the images so they should be up soon.
If I knew that you was at Sema... I would have went, I definatly want to check out the car myself, Vegas is close to me and I should have went, yet another reason why I suck for not going to SEMA this year.
Lol I think it's kinda funny that photobucket is hassling you about the bandwidth... you know why don't you? cause your car is sickness everybody can't help but going back on this thread.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by datplayaz
If I knew that you was at Sema... I would have went, I definatly want to check out the car myself, Vegas is close to me and I should have went, yet another reason why I suck for not going to SEMA this year.
Lol I think it's kinda funny that photobucket is hassling you about the bandwidth... you know why don't you? cause your car is sickness everybody can't help but going back on this thread.
To add insult to injury, I was in St. George for a couple of days before driving down to SEMA. I started a post a couple of weeks ago to see who was going to SEMA and i think the post got moved to the Meets section and I lost track of it. It is a shame because i only saw 2 stock TL's the whole trip.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Banned

I just got back from SEMA, the car got tons of complements and exposure. I was able to wiggle myself in and out of the car display area in front of the convention center. I heard there was one other TL there but i couldn't find it. The only other one was the 04' concept TL by ACURA.

mario,

If you need a host let me know. I will store them for you on the site.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

To add insult to injury, I was in St. George for a couple of days before driving down to SEMA. I started a post a couple of weeks ago to see who was going to SEMA and i think the post got moved to the Meets section and I lost track of it. It is a shame because i only saw 2 stock TL's the whole trip.
St. George?
Old 11-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Post some new pics or email me all the pics you got, and i will host them fior you, un limited bandwith...
info@ronjonsportdesign.com
Old 11-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RockBlocker
mario,

If you need a host let me know. I will store them for you on the site.

Megan,
Welcome to the forum, I hope to see you around town.

I tried to take pictures of the job the Chad/Rock Blocker did on my TL but it wouldn't show on the camera. He did full front protection of the Ron Jon Bumper (and I mean the whole thing) as well as 24" up on the hood and fenders and also the mirror backs.
He did an unbelieveable job, you honestly cannot see it on the bumper. Even walking up to the car you won't notice it, people don't believe it. The only place it is visible is were it ends up on the hood and that is only if you know what you are looking for.

This stuff saved me many a time on the way to SEMA as I heard road debris/sand hitting my windshield at 100mph. O.K. maybe it was 120 when the new IS300, GS300 and BMW 330 tried to screw with me but I digress.

Props to this vendor. It's nice to know that there are people like Rockblocker and RonJon still out there.

Quick Reply: Arizona Heat Spawns Hot RJ TL