After 8 hours of waiting...this happens

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, that's painful to watch. You should've taken it to an actual shop. $60 bucks installed in 90 mins. Live and learn. Sorry about your ride.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts
^ ur nuts no shop would charge $60 bucks and no one does a full swap out and has it all set up in 90 mins try again
Old 03-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Mile High Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OMG man I would be furious. That is horrible, sorry man.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:18 PM
From a 2G to a 3G!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by charmer888
Wow, that's painful to watch. You should've taken it to an actual shop. $60 bucks installed in 90 mins. Live and learn. Sorry about your ride.
^ this guy is on crack! lol
Old 03-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Herro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
SMH. Go work on his car.

Sucks that has to happen but lesson learned I suppose. It took me a while to get the rear off but that was because I couldn't find the hidden bolt that held the rear seats on. My cousin who was helping me said that my rear seats had a vagina LOL.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP_Aspec_05
but if you wanna sell your rims if you need money to do the repairs let me know
^ Thats just COLD... :devilgrin OP Make sure you have the rim checked... if those lug nuts stretched/ distorted the bolt patern that rim could be unsafe....I just did my drop (Koni's w/ TEIN H-TECHS) about two weeks ago... had air but it took me about 5hrs by myself... I wasted an hour and a half trying to get the top hat nuts off the right rear (they were rounded off so bad a 6 point couldn't grab them and I had to use an ease out socket)... See originally I let a fellow Ack lover help me swap my OEM coils for the TEINS, and to my dismay I didnt realize what had happened till I got to the very last shock... Please invest in the service manual, go to your closest Wally Mart, buy a nice set of Craftsmen sockets and box end wrenches then spend 1 hr per nite in the 3G garage.... Trust me you will learn alot and sleep much better knowing you have the skills to do it yourself.... Good Luck with your repairs
Old 03-13-2011, 11:03 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
^ i do everything myself.... EXCEPT suspension and brakes.... leave it to the pros... and lucky for me, my friend is a pro... so i go to the shop, shoot the breeze with him, help do the work, and its always 110%
Old 03-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
ouch bro...that really sucks....and that thing was sitting waaayyyy to low
Old 03-13-2011, 11:41 PM
WDP Type-S sitting on air

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
^ i do everything myself.... EXCEPT suspension and brakes.... leave it to the pros... and lucky for me, my friend is a pro... so i go to the shop, shoot the breeze with him, help do the work, and its always 110%
i agree suspension and brakes are something that i wont ever mess with myself... find a reputable shop, spend the money and let someone who does it everyday handle it.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by charmer888
$60? This would be the type of shop to do this type of stuff lol. Minimal I have seen is around $200 and about 3 hours.

I do my own work and suspension really isn't a huge problem as much as you may think, especially when the top hats come installed. I did a couple sets in about 4-5 hours without a lift and was with my buddies just hanging out. Finding the perfect ride height and making sure everything is equal is the hardest thing.

IMHO, (and not to be a dick/rude or hate on the OP), but its common sense. You put on the wheel...the lugs go after. If he was tired he should have stopped.

Don't take this in the wrong way but I guess it was a good thing my guy was out for a couple days and you didn't get the invoice sooner because if I put on your A-spec kit before this it would have been really ugly because insurance won't cover that I don't think. I am pretty sure your side skirts are all scrapped up, J pipe/third cat and some other things you don't see are damaged.

Good luck and to all, when you bring your car to get worked on by anyone, have a conversation with them before hand. Just because a shop/someone says they can do it, doesn't mean they can do it right. Don't be fooled by "a shop" being better than anyone else. Its the luck of the draw really and at least having someone like this OP did install it he could watch what they were doing. I have fixed numerous sets of headlights/taillights because they weren't sealed/worked on properly. One set was done by a reputable shop and after three times they told the member here that it was enough, they did what they could. I have fixed A-spec kits, fog light wiring and so on because it wasn't done right. Shops or random people, it doesn't matter because I have seen both do horrible jobs and I have also seen shops/random people do such a good job I would trust them. I have also seen A-spec kits butchered by body shops and he is a member here as well. Sometimes I can't fix the problems because it would cost more to fix than buying new. Think of it as EBAY... just because its cheaper, doesn't mean its better or will last. Some things are easier said then done and reputation is key.

Just remember one thing. No one works on your stuff how you would. A shop may not make this mistake, but they probably missed a screw here or there and said "oh well he can't see it".

Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by AckTL05; 03-14-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:10 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sorry, OP.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 148 Posts
your fault for trusting a "kid" that still lives with his parents and also for not checking if everything was snugged and secured. lug nuts not tightly secured, really?..
Old 03-14-2011, 01:34 AM
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
sucks to see that bro. You're friend is a moron and should have his thumbs cut off so he can turn a wrench
Old 03-14-2011, 04:10 AM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Noober
your fault for trusting a "kid" that still lives with his parents and also for not checking if everything was snugged and secured. lug nuts not tightly secured, really?..
Whats wrong w/ living w/ parents n workin on cars?

mistakes happen anywhere... this one was just more costly than others that can be easily fixed
Old 03-14-2011, 04:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Man, I am sorry to see this. You are DAMN lucky you wasn't going real fast. Too many years ago I lost a rear wheel going down the freeway... scary stuff. I hope you are able to get it fixed soon.

I helped another A-zine member install a set of Tien SS's on his Type-S. We did it my garage and used tips/tricks from the A-Zine DIY Garage. He was very pleased and all went well.

I have a set of Koni's that I was going to install but love the stock ride too much to install.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:33 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
if the guy forgot to tighten the lugnuts...who knows what else he forgot to do during the the breakdown and install of the new suspension? such an amateur mistake...

really sorry to see this OP, idk what i'd do if i were you. like AckTL05 said, there is a good chance you have more damage to other components of the car when your wheel popped off.

i'm grateful to have a good friend that helps me with installs like this. he knows his shit, and is over cautious and careful when it comes to anything. be it suspension or putting on a sticker, he and i make sure it is 100% correct before we move on to the next thing.

let us know what happens with all of this...and again, sorry you're having to deal with this mess.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by murph145
ouch ive seen peoples tires fly off on the high way before from lose lugz that sucks when it happens to you and when you are that low!

when i had worked on my setup with some one form Azine it took us a while too but we ate in between and BS'd but i made sure i helped and tightened everything as much as possible

did you F up the front rotor?
Nah man front rotor is fine, its that specific rim im worried about, my dads telling me its shot, i feel worse for my dad then my car for all the bullshit he had/has to deal with because of this... its a shame

Originally Posted by -MiG-
Damn thats nuts dude..

8 hrs for coils?!
yeah, done by an idiot i guess soo...
Originally Posted by BlacuraTLTYPES27
I'm from your town dude, i think i talked to you at exxon once. i have the black type s. but yeah i saw the pics on the "mechanic's" facebook (dont wanna mention names)
Oh yeah, yeah the "mechanic" doesn't even wanna pay me back so im even doubting ill see the money i paid him for the "job well done"...
Originally Posted by ladiesman217
wow i feel for you, but thats WAY TOO low for my taste
I know, it was for me too and these roads aren't even suitable for it being that low.
Originally Posted by justnspace
the problem here, is OP sat and watched..
OP should learn how to help!

When ever a member comes over to my house to install something, we always go over the risk and everyone helps out, double checking each others work.
I was helping him as we were going along, we had to take a few breaks and look on acurazine at the DIY for the back seats and such, but in the end i got bullshitted... not much i can do about it now.
Originally Posted by 07tl-s6spd
ouch bro...that really sucks....and that thing was sitting waaayyyy to low
yeah i know
Originally Posted by AckTL05
$60? This would be the type of shop to do this type of stuff lol. Minimal I have seen is around $200 and about 3 hours.

I do my own work and suspension really isn't a huge problem as much as you may think, especially when the top hats come installed. I did a couple sets in about 4-5 hours without a lift and was with my buddies just hanging out. Finding the perfect ride height and making sure everything is equal is the hardest thing.

IMHO, (and not to be a dick/rude or hate on the OP), but its common sense. You put on the wheel...the lugs go after. If he was tired he should have stopped.

Don't take this in the wrong way but I guess it was a good thing my guy was out for a couple days and you didn't get the invoice sooner because if I put on your A-spec kit before this it would have been really ugly because insurance won't cover that I don't think. I am pretty sure your side skirts are all scrapped up, J pipe/third cat and some other things you don't see are damaged.

Good luck and to all, when you bring your car to get worked on by anyone, have a conversation with them before hand. Just because a shop/someone says they can do it, doesn't mean they can do it right. Don't be fooled by "a shop" being better than anyone else. Its the luck of the draw really and at least having someone like this OP did install it he could watch what they were doing. I have fixed numerous sets of headlights/taillights because they weren't sealed/worked on properly. One set was done by a reputable shop and after three times they told the member here that it was enough, they did what they could. I have fixed A-spec kits, fog light wiring and so on because it wasn't done right. Shops or random people, it doesn't matter because I have seen both do horrible jobs and I have also seen shops/random people do such a good job I would trust them. I have also seen A-spec kits butchered by body shops and he is a member here as well. Sometimes I can't fix the problems because it would cost more to fix than buying new. Think of it as EBAY... just because its cheaper, doesn't mean its better or will last. Some things are easier said then done and reputation is key.

Just remember one thing. No one works on your stuff how you would. A shop may not make this mistake, but they probably missed a screw here or there and said "oh well he can't see it".

Let me know how it goes.
Yeah, well the kid who did the job is in denial about the whole situation claiming he checked the lug nuts and it was something to do with the spacer, but imo he's in denial because of his shitty job... but im dissapointed in myself more then i am him for letting a moron touch my car ...and lesson learned, ill no longer let anyone other then a trusted mechanic touch my car. I'll be getting the A-spec as soon as my cars fixed and adjusted to a safe ride height.
Yeah... like i said hes claiming it wasn't the lugnuts, hes trying to say that the spacer wasn't on correctly? or something of that sort, i dont even remember because when he was telling me i was so fucking heated i was talking all the shit that came too mind...
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Man, I am sorry to see this. You are DAMN lucky you wasn't going real fast. Too many years ago I lost a rear wheel going down the freeway... scary stuff. I hope you are able to get it fixed soon.

I helped another A-zine member install a set of Tien SS's on his Type-S. We did it my garage and used tips/tricks from the A-Zine DIY Garage. He was very pleased and all went well.

I have a set of Koni's that I was going to install but love the stock ride too much to install.
Yeah i know, luckily i couldn't of even made it too the high way, my shit broke literally 2 minutes down the road.
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
if the guy forgot to tighten the lugnuts...who knows what else he forgot to do during the the breakdown and install of the new suspension? such an amateur mistake...

really sorry to see this OP, idk what i'd do if i were you. like AckTL05 said, there is a good chance you have more damage to other components of the car when your wheel popped off.

i'm grateful to have a good friend that helps me with installs like this. he knows his shit, and is over cautious and careful when it comes to anything. be it suspension or putting on a sticker, he and i make sure it is 100% correct before we move on to the next thing.

let us know what happens with all of this...and again, sorry you're having to deal with this mess.
Appreciate your concerns. Lesson learned.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 AM
3.5L...enough said

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Damn Dude That thing is all over the floor! Told you 3/4" threaded in the front and 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" threaded up in the rear would of given you the look you were goin for...what is that threaded 2" in the front and 3" in the rear, Christ that shit is slammed!!! Told you so!!!!!!

Goodluck with everything though, it'll be back on the road before you know it.

Off topic but the roof spoiler looks serious!

Last edited by 07TLTypeS420; 03-14-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 07TLTypeS420
Damn Dude That thing is all over the floor! Told you 3/4" threaded in the front and 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" threaded up in the rear would of given you the look you were goin for...what is that threaded 2" in the front and 3" in the rear, Christ that shit is slammed!!! Told you so!!!!!!

Goodluck with everything though, it'll be back on the road before you know it.

Off topic but the roof spoiler looks serious!
Yeah when my dads friend who's a mechanic comes and takes a look at the car, im going to have him adjust the suspension to the correct height. I dont even know how long im gonna be without a car .. thanks and i know it does, appreciate you selling it too me
Old 03-14-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
Whats wrong w/ living w/ parents n workin on cars?
+1

Living at home = free food, no rent, and a garage to work in

I still live at home and I try to do everything 100% correct, whether it be on my car or someone else's.

OP I'm sorry to see what happened. I highly doubt your friend would help you do all of that work and PURPOSELY forget to tighten the lug nuts down. He probably put them on just to get the wheel on there and then forgot to go back and tighten them properly.

I hope the car gets fixed correctly and it gets back on the road soon
Old 03-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Advanced

Be wary trying to get your insurance to cover this like someone else suggested. Now that you've posted the facts on here it means that you told the world what really happened. You are leaving yourself open to a major fraud investigation that will not end well. Lick your wounds accept what happened and don't blame anyone but your genius friend and yourself.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Wait, you have generic Ebay spacers or the actual ones that have the studs in them? Depends on how big of a spacer but if its too big then the thread would be minimal for the lug to catch..If its like 5mm or less then its fine.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
+1

Living at home = free food, no rent, and a garage to work in

I still live at home and I try to do everything 100% correct, whether it be on my car or someone else's.

OP I'm sorry to see what happened. I highly doubt your friend would help you do all of that work and PURPOSELY forget to tighten the lug nuts down. He probably put them on just to get the wheel on there and then forgot to go back and tighten them properly.

I hope the car gets fixed correctly and it gets back on the road soon
thats what im thinking too.. but who knows its an awful site coming home to see my baby slammed on the floor with the front side panel all fucked up.
Originally Posted by AckTL05
Wait, you have generic Ebay spacers or the actual ones that have the studs in them? Depends on how big of a spacer but if its too big then the thread would be minimal for the lug to catch..If its like 5mm or less then its fine.
It was just the spacers that came with the car.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:18 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheezes
Be wary trying to get your insurance to cover this like someone else suggested. Now that you've posted the facts on here it means that you told the world what really happened. You are leaving yourself open to a major fraud investigation that will not end well. Lick your wounds accept what happened and don't blame anyone but your genius friend and yourself.
VERY VERY true statement... dont file an insurance claim for 2 reasons

1) if you tell them the truth, they will disallow the claim anyway (unauthorized/insured repair shop/mechanic)

2) if you lie, they can find this thread... and insurance fraud is no joke

it sucks to have to absorb the cost, but like stated... lesson learned

I am assuming its just the fender damaged... maybe the dust cover on the rotor.... < $1k for the repair... unless you have broken suspensions components... depending on the rate of speed

As for people living at home, i only bought my own home about a year ago... and i did A LOT of quality, trusted installations in my mother's garage and i am DAMN proud it

at least 2-3 dozen AZ members can vouch for me, and i don't advertise myself as a mechanic....

I am curious... was the "culprit" a local person, or are they on AcuraZine??
Old 03-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Racer

Old 03-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Advanced

We need to know what type of spacers they are..if they're generic ones that just slip on, what size they are, or are they the ones with built in studs. I've had my lugs go loose on me a few times..and I definitely could feel it and had to stop immediately before the wheels start flying off.

Have you taken it to got an estimate on how much it would cost to fix?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
wait... u paid him and helped? and he wont give u the money back? wtf?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Drifting

yea we gota get the spacer issue resolved.... what spacers are you talking about? did you add aftermarket ones to push out your rims for a more aggressive look? If so what did you use size and did they have new extended lugs?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:23 PM
BANNED

in for answers on spacers...
Old 03-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
We need to know what type of spacers they are..if they're generic ones that just slip on, what size they are, or are they the ones with built in studs. I've had my lugs go loose on me a few times..and I definitely could feel it and had to stop immediately before the wheels start flying off.

Have you taken it to got an estimate on how much it would cost to fix?
I havent got an estimate yet, i will let everyone know by wednesday. my father is having a mechanic come by tomorrow to check out the car so he can try and determine what actually happened, and they are the stock spacers i did not buy any aftermarket ones. the front of the car had spacers the back didn't
Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
wait... u paid him and helped? and he wont give u the money back? wtf?
Yes i paid him 90$ and he claims he will pay me back, but honestly man i dont plan on seeing that money ever agian... its a shame i havent ate a whole thing all day and im still not even hungry... depression mode
yea we gota get the spacer issue resolved.... what spacers are you talking about? did you add aftermarket ones to push out your rims for a more aggressive look? If so what did you use size and did they have new extended lugs?
the front two tires had spacers on them, but i did not purchase any aftermarket or different ones to freshen up my stance. they are in my plans but this is gonna slow them down ... A-spec was my next mod.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:27 PM
BANNED

^no such thing as stock spacers. spacers don't just come on a car, somebody has to put them on.

get a pic for us if you cant find out what brand they are.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Racer

this was his reasoning, exact words/text

"the wheel spacer was corroded where it seats on the hub, so when i torqued all the lugs down it felt tight cause it was caught on the hub then when you drove it seated properly and lost all torque on the lugs"
Old 03-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Drifting

well how did the spacers get there? do you have a picture of the spacers so we can see what they are?

spacers larger than 5mm in thickness are not safe to run unless you get extended studs as the stud length is to short to give a proper hold with the lugz... many people who get spacers either get new longer studs pressed in or they buy the ichiba version 2 spacers that come with longer studs already mounted to them

thats why we want to know because this might not have been your friends fault if spacers were used incorrectly
Old 03-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
^no such thing as stock spacers. spacers don't just come on a car, somebody has to put them on.

get a pic for us if you cant find out what brand they are.
my bad when he was assembling the rim he showed me a small rusted circle that went on the rotor and he claims that it was a spacer... i really dont know man, ill be the first to admit that i know nothing about cars im only 18 with little knowledge behind them or how to work on them, i fucked up and made a mistake of trusting the kid and right now its taking a toll on me.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Drifting

is there an extra spacer or not thats really the question? stock rims do not come with spacers they just fit so is there an extra piece of metal between the rim and the hub or just the fact that he did not seat the wheel properly on the hub and it came lose as you drove.

this is a spacer

http://www.ichibausa.com/whspveii.html
Old 03-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Racer

well how did the spacers get there? do you have a picture of the spacers so we can see what they are?

spacers larger than 5mm in thickness are not safe to run unless you get extended studs as the stud length is to short to give a proper hold with the lugz... many people who get spacers either get new longer studs pressed in or they buy the ichiba version 2 spacers that come with longer studs already mounted to them

thats why we want to know because this might not have been your friends fault if spacers were used incorrectly
I dont have any pics and i dont know how they got there, i really dont think my car had spacers on it if they don't come on stock... because i bought the car off someone on here who didn't mod the car in anyway (so he claimed), he previously owned a rsx type s that he modded
Old 03-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dpat
my bad when he was assembling the rim he showed me a small rusted circle that went on the rotor and he claims that it was a spacer... i really dont know man, ill be the first to admit that i know nothing about cars im only 18 with little knowledge behind them or how to work on them, i fucked up and made a mistake of trusting the kid and right now its taking a toll on me.
dont stress too much its just life things like this happen if i told everyone all the stupid things that happened to me id have a long list haha

as long as you didnt get hurt then that is fine the rest is just a lil $ and inconvenience thats all
Old 03-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Racer

dont stress too much its just life things like this happen if i told everyone all the stupid things that happened to me id have a long list haha

as long as you didnt get hurt then that is fine the rest is just a lil $ and inconvenience thats all
yeah man its just rough... looking back i should've stopped my car when it started shaking before it was too late. i've done alot of stupid shit and got away with it, but this is rough... a wise man once said "rough times"
Old 03-14-2011, 03:39 PM
BANNED

Originally Posted by dpat
I dont have any pics and i dont know how they got there, i really dont think my car had spacers on it if they don't come on stock... because i bought the car off someone on here who didn't mod the car in anyway (so he claimed), he previously owned a rsx type s that he modded
yeah it would be strange to just have front spacers and no rear spacers...that doesn't even make any sense.

so...you didn't have spacers?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Drifting

i dont think he did?? the stock rims dont come with hub centric rings right?? i mean they come already bored at 64.1mm to fit the hubs exactly right??

i know my tsw's have a larger hub bore size so they gave me hub centric rings to make the rims fit snug and those can be a pain if not set right but i thought stock rims came bored to exact specifications

Quick Reply: After 8 hours of waiting...this happens