Acura TL vs Chevrolet SS (56K honestly....?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:15 AM
Jack ofall master of none

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Pics.!
The chevy looks and sounds awesome in my opinion. But thats about it. Yeah its fast, so what. Its a chevy trailblazer with chrome and rumble. I like american cars. But 38 thousand for a trailblazer! How much will it be worth in 1 to 3 years. How much is the 07 SS worth now? If your gonna keep it forever than you made a good purchase. I own a chipped, lightly modded Cayenne. Take that for a ride. Oh and P.S. Those wheels look great on your TL.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
back on track

Originally Posted by leolebo28
seriously JT everytime I see ur ride and those RJs I really start to think.....love ur car....
I've said it before and I'll say it again; JT, I love your car
Old 05-09-2008, 02:28 AM
'02 NBP TL-S

Originally Posted by vincethe1
Which is something that really makes me wonder, why do so many ppl have hondas here...you could buy a hemi charger or dodge ram or so many other cars...if you really prefer them over the imports...then why buy a TL?
That's an interesting point. My car was a gift from my parents for a job well done. I'm looking on and off for a new car right now because my baby will be hitting 100,000 within the next 6 months. Right now I'm looking at a jeep SRT8, '03 Escalade EXT, or an '03 H2. I love my car, but i need the cargo room and a hitch for my 'ski.

how 'bout the rest of y'all????
Old 05-09-2008, 04:17 AM
3.2 VTEC

They should make a Dodge Caravan SRT8 AWD...that would put space, speed, and somewhat decent handling (better than truck or suv) in a do it all vehicle.

advantages of the van: less weight, lower center of gravity, more car-like drive, better fuel efficiency...still the same amount of space or mabe even more.

what you guys think?
Old 05-09-2008, 05:01 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
jelous? i think u misunderstood lol....the TBSS retails from 34-38 grand...but yea i can never afford that so you're right...i am verry jelous.

keep up with an m5 or m6? sure..if by keeping up u mean you can still see them somewhere infront of you then yea...the only reason i was googling up shit is cuz i was sensing some major overexaduration and i wanned to bring you back to reality with bare facts.

you're right...i will never have and SUV as nice and as powerful as yours....but mabe you misread....i will never have such an SUV because i will never buy an SUV.

i don't know much about american engines and have no idea what's so special about an "LSX Block" , but i can instanly google up some facts it has 65.01hp/liter and 65.84 tq per liter....i don't care what you say, but this is a low performance engine...not to mention it's a pushrod with 16 valves .

all i said is that it's powerful...and yes, it will beat my TL in a 1/4 mile race...that's another fact...but except it's power, give me one other thing i cud be jelous of...it's huge, heavy, tall, ect...i just hate suvs man...sorry.
Wow, ricer math much? I used to think like you.... until I started driving cars besides my TL, or should I say Hondas in general.

Tell me what significance hp/liter has IN THE REAL WORLD. Or on the race track. That's right, it means absolutely NOTHING! Just fodder to throw around in a pissing match. you know what matters though? TORQUE. Something you clearly have yet to REALLY experience. And that same 2 valve per cylinder V8 is lighter and more efficient than a DOHC V8 putting out the similar power figures.

Your Acura TL is just as American as a Trailblazer SS. Both were designed and made in the U.S. If that isn't American I don't know what is. Your arguments are so full of holes its silly that I even consider replying to them....

I got rid of a 2G TL-S for a Camaro Z28 and would make the same decision over and over again without hesitation. Both cars got plenty of compliments from everyone but the Z28 is way more fun to drive and thats what matters to me.

People are so quick to put down "American cars" but its funny when they don't even realize that they're driving one. The funny thing is I don't like SUVs much either, but they do have a purpose, albeit for a small demographic. And for the record the TBSS has never really excited me much.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:04 AM
'02 NBP TL-S

They should make a Dodge Caravan SRT8 AWD...that would put space, speed, and somewhat decent handling (better than truck or suv) in a do it all vehicle.

advantages of the van: less weight, lower center of gravity, more car-like drive, better fuel efficiency...still the same amount of space or mabe even more.

what you guys think?

jeeeeze, did you get hit by an SUV when you were a kid? you seem to have quite a grudge........

you also forgot two key things a minivan can't do,

1. go through deep snow/ offroad

2. tow anything more than a single jetski or motorcycle trailer.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Cruisin'

wow this is just crazy now....but now that you bring emissions into the cage vince..

Howabout long tube headers with no cats for emissions....
Old 05-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-09-2008, 10:55 AM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

what you guys think?
If they made a caravan SRT, it would be an SRT6, like the Crossfire. They never increase # of cyliners with SRTs. But that would make for a very interesting soccer-mom mobile...

And for the record, just b/c I was defending him doesnt mean I want one, or prefer GM. I'm a Honda/Acura guy for sure. I have just seen them run, and have driven quite a few SRT8 Cherokees.

OP- I apologize for the hijack.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:56 PM
549-26

naw bro its all good i am glad this whole SS thing is clearing up
Old 05-09-2008, 01:46 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd shoehorn an ls series motor in my 2nd gen if I had the money, and I could solve traction issues, that won't happen . Reliable, strong, highly modifiable engine, and yes can be made to get good gas mileage if needed. I don't see anything wrong with that. But I have to agree the TBSS doesn't get good gas mileage and with $4/gal prices these days, that gets pricey.

By the way absolutely love the wheels on your TL!!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 02:17 PM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Wow, ricer math much? I used to think like you.... until I started driving cars besides my TL, or should I say Hondas in general.

Tell me what significance hp/liter has IN THE REAL WORLD. Or on the race track. That's right, it means absolutely NOTHING! Just fodder to throw around in a pissing match. you know what matters though? TORQUE. Something you clearly have yet to REALLY experience. And that same 2 valve per cylinder V8 is lighter and more efficient than a DOHC V8 putting out the similar power figures.

Your Acura TL is just as American as a Trailblazer SS. Both were designed and made in the U.S. If that isn't American I don't know what is. Your arguments are so full of holes its silly that I even consider replying to them....

I got rid of a 2G TL-S for a Camaro Z28 and would make the same decision over and over again without hesitation. Both cars got plenty of compliments from everyone but the Z28 is way more fun to drive and thats what matters to me.

People are so quick to put down "American cars" but its funny when they don't even realize that they're driving one. The funny thing is I don't like SUVs much either, but they do have a purpose, albeit for a small demographic. And for the record the TBSS has never really excited me much.
haahaah...1 - as i stated i drove the SRT8 charger too and was there to trade my TL for it...when i drove it it threw me off so much i didn't even wanna look at the #s the dealer was willing to give me.

2 - you are a complete idiot...the styling was designed in the us (under strict japanese control i'm sure)...and it was build here like any "import" now-a-days....but it has nothing to do with an american car...the engine is a japanese engine, just built in the us, the transmission (my 6MT) is actually made in japan and imported here....you know what an american car is?? Ford, GM, Chrysler....that's it, my god you're lost...

3 - hp/liter doesn't matter in the real world at all....but i was just showing how far ahead honda is over any american car....the engine is a marvel compared to a 1960s pushrod.

4 - hp/liter doensn't matter, but power to weight does....and the TL-S is dangerously close to the TBSS...and it would make up that defecit with a better transmission and less air resistance.

5 - I have clearly stated tested 0-60 and 1/4 mile times....but i guess in the "Real World", the TBSS would have to be faster cuz it has a LSX block V8...and ofcourse no import can stand up to that
Old 05-09-2008, 02:18 PM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by SilverSS
wow this is just crazy now....but now that you bring emissions into the cage vince..

Howabout long tube headers with no cats for emissions....
well i havn't modified my exhaust lol
Old 05-09-2008, 02:23 PM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by Frazman
jeeeeze, did you get hit by an SUV when you were a kid? you seem to have quite a grudge........

you also forgot two key things a minivan can't do,

1. go through deep snow/ offroad

2. tow anything more than a single jetski or motorcycle trailer.
lol i didn't get hit by one....but it's just that i can't really thik of anything they are good at...except 2 things.

1. Offroad (which is useless for me because i don't live on a mountain with no roads or a farm)

2. Passive safety (for you ofcourse...it'll fuck the other car up beyond recognition)
Old 05-09-2008, 02:39 PM
3.2 VTEC

i'm pretty sure an awd van with stronger suspension would have no problem towing anything an suv can...the only thing it won't be able to do is offroad due to it's ground clearance.

i don't hate suvs if they are bought for their purpose...but i don't get why ppl buy them and drive them to work and back...any normal sedan could do that job...and will do it better in every single way....it'll be faster (normal suv not TBSS)...it'll be far more efficient on fuel, it'll handle far better, it will be a lot more fun to drive, it'll be easier to drive, it'll drive more solidly, and it would be a lot better at active safety...

Unfortunately the american market is convinced that safety=suv....when they are the most involved in accidents and most dangerous overall, the safest accident is the one that doesn't occur...tipical suvs are over 4 times more likely to roll over than a sedan, they often take a lot more distance to stop, they are not agile and therefore cannot swerve very well out of the way of things, but ppl that can't drive and have no enthusiasm for automobiles go and buy a ford explorer because it has space and is "safe".

if you want space, buy a minivan...that is basically a large car..it is made to go on city roads and highways with low ground clearance and good profile tires...unlike an suv which is made to go offroad and has fat tires that spoil the handling, stability, and ride...and guzzle more gas while at it
Old 05-09-2008, 02:56 PM
3.2 VTEC

btw JT22 and SilverSS...i apologize for ruining your photoshoot tread...i'm easing off.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Cruisin'

btw JT22 and SilverSS...i apologize for ruining your photoshoot tread...i'm easing off.
its cool, just ease up a bit when your throwin out stats and all this other stuff. Like i said before were all here for one main purpose and that is for automobiles.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:59 AM
'02 NBP TL-S

i'm pretty sure an awd van with stronger suspension would have no problem towing anything an suv can...the only thing it won't be able to do is offroad due to it's ground clearance.

2008 Chyrsler Town and Country AWD Towing Capacity = 3800 lbs

2008 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT Towing Capacity = 12,000 lbs.

12,000 / 3800 = 3.16 times more weight.........

and yes my family actually tows that much (10,000 lbs) on a semi regular basis.....
Old 05-10-2008, 01:58 AM
Banned

silverSS: may i ask you why u bought a SUV? was it to race cars? or tow things?

Oh, and also, why are you here? in azine, i mean.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:50 AM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by Frazman
2008 Chyrsler Town and Country AWD Towing Capacity = 3800 lbs

2008 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT Towing Capacity = 12,000 lbs.

12,000 / 3800 = 3.16 times more weight.........

and yes my family actually tows that much (10,000 lbs) on a semi regular basis.....
i meant if they make the suspension on the van stronger so that it can support a higher tongue weight...then it would be able to tow like an suv...i meant they can do it, not that anybody has though.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:53 AM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by Wseminuk

he is here cuz of his friend from the photoshoot.

i'm guessing but he probably bought it because he likes suvs better than cars..i seriously doubt he tows anything with it...or offroads for that matter, but that's why ppl buy these things, to know they can if they ever need to, even though in most cases it never happens.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Cruisin'

he is here cuz of his friend from the photoshoot.

i'm guessing but he probably bought it because he likes suvs better than cars..i seriously doubt he tows anything with it...or offroads for that matter, but that's why ppl buy these things, to know they can if they ever need to, even though in most cases it never happens.
last summer i towed the boat about 3 time a week and a uhaul van all the way to oklahoma and back several time...all while im laying a smackdown on 350, G's, and TL's
Old 05-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Cruisin'

may i ask why you bought a TL? To race things or just stand still while your getting blown by SUV's...???
Old 05-10-2008, 02:23 PM
3.2 VTEC

ahaahhah, you cannot beat tls gs and 350zs while towing a boat...unless it's very small
Old 05-10-2008, 03:58 PM
-Arsenic-

i meant if they make the suspension on the van stronger so that it can support a higher tongue weight...then it would be able to tow like an suv...i meant they can do it, not that anybody has though.
don't forget the diff in hp/torque..
Old 05-10-2008, 04:39 PM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by 02type-s
don't forget the diff in hp/torque..
yea, that's also why i said if they made an SRT8 Caravan...

or if they make a Uplander SS lol

ford windstar SVT hahaahha
Old 05-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Missing my TL

Photoshoot at the same place again huh? haha
Old 05-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverSS
may i ask why you bought a TL? To race things or just stand still while your getting blown by SUV's...???
yeh. i always knew u were a faggot. funny thing is u talk so much shit about ur ss being so hard. but i bet i would lay the smack down on ur face "TEXAS HICK STYLE" foo!u should start talkin after you finish high school.

back to my question. i asked why ur here in azine, was it to come in here and try run ur lip about how ur porker SUV can smoke ALLLL these cars. u gotta be one dumb fuck to come into a ACURA site and bash on them.

and i bought my TL cuz my s2000 was getting old and way to small. so i looked to my next car which i had in mind. sexiness, room, comfort, lux, and still had "some" balls..

btw, u claim ur SS is bad ass on turns. how about lets u and i togei battle with my s2000, nah. i dont want u to fall off a cliff. crush ur porker trash and catch fire at the bottom of the hill all before ur 18th birthday.

have a nice day. in the middle of nowhere TEXAS FTL!
Old 05-10-2008, 09:44 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeh. i always knew u were a faggot. funny thing is u talk so much shit about ur ss being so hard. but i bet i would lay the smack down on ur face "TEXAS HICK STYLE" foo!u should start talkin after you finish high school.

back to my question. i asked why ur here in azine, was it to come in here and try run ur lip about how ur porker SUV can smoke ALLLL these cars. u gotta be one dumb fuck to come into a ACURA site and bash on them.

and i bought my TL cuz my s2000 was getting old and way to small. so i looked to my next car which i had in mind. sexiness, room, comfort, lux, and still had "some" balls..

btw, u claim ur SS is bad ass on turns. how about lets u and i togei battle with my s2000, nah. i dont want u to fall off a cliff. crush ur porker trash and catch fire at the bottom of the hill all before ur 18th birthday.

Easy tough guy . He wasn't even the OP of this thread. His buddy just posted pictures of his TL and his friends SS, that was it. Then the trash talking started, not by him!!!

He is defending his TBSS just like you would if someone said something about your car. We all take pride in our cars/trucks thats why we come to sites like this, we are all enthusiasts, lets just leave it at that. We all have our different preferences, there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2003TL-S
Easy tough guy . He wasn't even the OP of this thread. His buddy just posted pictures of his TL and his friends SS, that was it. Then the trash talking started, not by him!!!

He is defending his TBSS just like you would if someone said something about your car. We all take pride in our cars/trucks thats why we come to sites like this, we are all enthusiasts, lets just leave it at that. We all have our different preferences, there is nothing wrong with that.
i really dont care where it started. but if you would read. i asked him a simple question and he gave me some stupid answer. plz read
Old 05-10-2008, 09:57 PM
B16 Swapped TL

3 - hp/liter doesn't matter in the real world at all....but i was just showing how far ahead honda is over any american car....the engine is a marvel compared to a 1960s pushrod.
Bunch of Magazine racers in here.

Vince you make some good points. But step back and think about something.

Do you really think that Any of the domestic makes cannot make a high output small engine? .... If you think about it I think you would realize that any of the Big American makes are global corporations and have the resources within their organizations to engineer a high hp per litre engine.

Then think about this..... why would they use large displacement engines and stick with Pushrod architecture? Well the vehicles they put them in cater to a very specific crowd. They are folks who love Extremely torquey vehicles and are loud and rowdy. They need a big fat power band. Torque and HP building to redline.
For off the line bottom end torque, there are few application that can do it better than the LSX line of engines.

Contrary to popular belief, pushrod engines are not archaic unchanged engines from the 1950's. Granted the basic architecture is still there, there is alot that goes into the design that keeps them current with technology.

Here is food for thought.... Pushrod engine design was designed by Mr. Buick, the same guy who also help engineer the OHC engine about 100 years ago. In my estimation if Pushrod engines are archaic then so are OHC engines.

I get it that it isn't your cup of tea, but real car enthusiasts can appreciate different approaches to meeting consumer wants.

----------
Let's try a different arguement. Lets take the Jewel in Honda's crown. The S2000 Engine. 220 HP out such a little package. Marvelous little engine that you have to rev to 6k RPMs to get power out of it, and then it falls off at 9k. I submit to you that it is junk because it doesn't have gobs of power at the blip of the throttle.

Compared to the LS1..... The LS1 has 300+ Torque at 2K RPMs and that stays flat until Redline. It is king shit.

Obviously I am being somewhat sarcastic because the S2000 engine wasn't designed to accomplish that feat. It was designed to be a small engine in a light car, and it's unfair to compare it to a standard it wasn't designed for. I am confident that if honda wanted an LSX like engine they could engineer it.

But on the same token most engines in American vehicles are not designed for Max HP Per Litre. Does that make them crap or low performance engines. No it just means the engineering goals were different.

Food for thought.

BTW I am an Ex-Owner of a Camaro SS and current owner of TL-S. Both beautiful cars and great in their own respects.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Blazing GT
Shame on Chevy!
Still cant run with the SRT8 Cherokee

anyways great pics!!
you forgot:

Mercedes-Benz
Porsche

Love the TL, although I've never been a fan of those rims.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:30 PM
-Arsenic-

Originally Posted by Fyre Man
you forgot:

Mercedes-Benz
Porsche

Love the TL, although I've never been a fan of those rims.
The SRT8 cherokee is the world's fastest production SUV.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Cruisin'

haha man you make some great points i wish i would of thought for those...and i didnt come to this site because of douche bags like you who think there TL has ballss!! Now when i go by TL's i look back and just laugh.

Like i said before though i respect the TL, but when someone bashes an SS on a photoshoot thread thats pretty lame bro. oh and you call an s2000 to have room, well you must be some shit piece of short that cant back up his mouth, so dont come hee telling me how youll beat my ass bro cuz i highly doubt that.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:31 PM
549-26

hes not coming up bashing our tl's..... he will be the first to admit that my car is sick, he is just backing his car up because he is not going to take shit from someone who doesnt know what their talking about... just like any of us would do if someone was talkin shit about your car
Old 05-11-2008, 02:38 PM
549-26

Heres some more pictures for the controversy!

Chad this ones for you... haha
Old 05-11-2008, 03:08 PM
-Arsenic-

^^Lookin good, and that blacked-out SRT8 300 looks gangster!
Old 05-11-2008, 03:34 PM
'02 NBP TL-S

yea, that's also why i said if they made an SRT8 Caravan...

or if they make a Uplander SS lol

ford windstar SVT hahaahha

I'm really sorry but this is driving me nuts. It is NOT POSSIBLE for any type of minivan as long as it i on a car frame (even if it is beefed up) to carry any thing close to what a full size SUV could tow. I don't care if they put a hemi in it, it still would not have anywhere near the towing capacity of an SUV.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:36 PM
'02 NBP TL-S

i really dont care where it started. but if you would read. i asked him a simple question and he gave me some stupid answer. plz read

come on man, if you read the thread you would know the answer to your original question. You asked a stupid question and got a stupid answer. What did u expect?
Old 05-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wooooooot

Quick Reply: Acura TL vs Chevrolet SS (56K honestly....?)