04 5AT to 05 6MT Transformation has Commenced.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:00 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_brains510
that is some solid work you've done so are you hoping to break 12's at the track or what?
Thank you sir! As for running lower than 13 seconds, i guess we'll see! The best time i've seen posted was a 13.1 at 105 by OMP Prelude.

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
damn eric, you are way hardcore
Hella hardcore Kiran!

Originally Posted by JCharged
Next time we have a meet you need to come up. I haven't got a chance to meet you in person yet.
I'm sure we'll meet up one day...it's a small world.

Originally Posted by Acuraholic
Yeah bro that was mine inside the convention center ....never saw the pics though....hook me up with a link! Definitely need to get up soon when you finish the conversion
I can't remember if i saved the pic or where i saw the pic. i thought it was on importsnc.com , but maybe not. I'll keep searching for that pic and hopefully i'll remember where i saw it.

Originally Posted by ecliptics
the only thing i can say im not feelin is the cf interior kit.. always thought fake cf looked tacky.

push to start?!?!
aw man you don't like it?! I think it spruces up the dash a little bit.

Yeah, there's something about the push button start that looks cool.

Originally Posted by jptl04
everything is coming along nicely Eric! damn thats alot of work. you never really realize it until you start something then you're like i gotta finish now. push button ENGINE START mod is cool. i was gonna do that too. S2000 button right? the thing i dont like about it is you still have to stick the key in turn it to acc then push the button. my 2007 has that quick start thing were you just turn the key real quick let it go and it starts. adding it would just defeat that feature. and add an extra step. it's mainly for the cool factor i would do it.

where are you gonna relocate all the hfl, navi, stereo, and cruise controls if you do the steering wheel swap?
Thanks man! And you're right, i didn't realize how involved it was going to be until after I got started on it. Almost everything about the car has been modified, almost to a point where i had forgotten about certain things that i had done to it haha.

My buddy Justin did the push start button mod a couple months ago, which is where i got the idea from. He said it's three wires to make it work.

As for the steering wheel controls, hopefully when i take the airbag off the wheel, i'll be able to disconnect the controls and remount them on the steering column. I'm sure something like that is possible.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:06 PM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by stillhere153
Which cusco cage, I want it

Bout to get some sparco's to match the carseat for my kid coming june of 09
It's the 6-point evo XIII roll cage.

Congratulations on spawning a young buck! I reckon you and the lady just found out if you're looking at a June 09 debut.

Originally Posted by xoulu
question that big mirror that you got over the middle mirror.... does it have auto dim feature or no?
Unfortunately no it doesn't. It's a 17 convex wideview mirror i found a local racecar parts supplier. I used double sided tape to mount it on the OEM mirror. I recommend this type of mirror to everyone. Sitting in the driver seat, i can see everything in the left and right rear side windows to where there is no need to double check the blind spots.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im not sure when i will be able to make it down there, work 45 hours a week plus 16 credit hours of school is wuppin my ass haha but im tryin to keep it all going
Old 10-09-2008, 11:10 PM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by 04DCTL
im not sure when i will be able to make it down there, work 45 hours a week plus 16 credit hours of school is wuppin my ass haha but im tryin to keep it all going
Just make sure if you find time to bring me down a massive box of chicken! Eric loves the chicken.

Dude i feel you on that full time work and full time student. I did that a semester or two, and i'm glad it's all over with.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Just make sure if you find time to bring me down a massive box of chicken! Eric loves the chicken.

Dude i feel you on that full time work and full time student. I did that a semester or two, and i'm glad it's all over with.
yeah im jus trying to come to the fact it will def be worth it in the long run, but i will be getting like 4 days off this month and those days are already taken, between helping make some money at furniture market and then halloween in boone haha, but if boone falls thru, i might give you a shout and see whats up in cha-town
Old 10-09-2008, 11:25 PM
USDM -> JDM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
oh damn... now that, is what i call JDM UA6...
Old 10-09-2008, 11:47 PM
tehLEGOman

yeah im jus trying to come to the fact it will def be worth it in the long run, but i will be getting like 4 days off this month and those days are already taken, between helping make some money at furniture market and then halloween in boone haha, but if boone falls thru, i might give you a shout and see whats up in cha-town
Oh it'll definitely be worth it in the long run, just stick with it. Sounds good brother, i'm always around.

Originally Posted by AZN.M3NACE
oh damn... now that, is what i call JDM UA6...

haha. If there ever was such a thing, I've basically made it into what it would theoretically look like. Damn i wish there was.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Dude, where is your sunroof frame assembly ? I see that you used metal tabs to hold the sunroof glass in position.

Where did you get that idea from

Just kidding. If you did get it from my TL Diet thread, I am glad that it worked for you. You are such a cool guy, I sometimes wish that I could make a carbonfiber sunroof plug for you. I am just afraid of having to "eat" the $200 dollars if I screwed-up the cf lay-up.

BTW, I am digging the cf interior trim. I like it

If you get a chance, could you post some pics of your seat mounts ? I am curious how you did your mounts.

Godspeed to you speedracer
Old 10-10-2008, 12:33 AM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Dude, where is your sunroof frame assembly ? I see that you used metal tabs to hold the sunroof glass in position.

Where did you get that idea from

Just kidding. If you did get it from my TL Diet thread, I am glad that it worked for you. You are such a cool guy, I sometimes wish that I could make a carbonfiber sunroof plug for you. I am just afraid of having to "eat" the $200 dollars if I screwed-up the cf lay-up.

BTW, I am digging the cf interior trim. I like it

If you get a chance, could you post some pics of your seat mounts ? I am curious how you did your mounts.

Godspeed to you speedracer
I had to take the frame assembly out in order the the b-pillar section of the cage to stand up straight. So the hard part in doing this was figuring out what to do about the hole in the roof. The options were to either find a way to keep the glass in place, or B, have sheet metal tacked in place, or C, find a way to make a CF plug. I went with option A, and decided to use some scrap materials in the garage. After doing a lot of brainstorming, i decided the triangle section of CF that i had cut out of the vortex generator could be of use. With my dremel, i proceeded to cut it into four brackets. (I should probably take a close up picture of these brackets..they look pretty neat) So once I mounted the brackets on the roof, i could then set the glass down on the four brackets and it would rest.

The second step was to find a way to make it so the glass wouldnt fly off the brackets. So i attached four metal brackets to the side of the roof frame and used the holes to slide zip ties through and secure the glass from flying off the car.

Finally, after finding that it would leak, I had to come up with yet another idea. I figured some double sided tape might do the trick. So i lined the inside of the hole with the tape, and then mushed the glass into place.

I had done this on the 5AT a little before you had posted your setup, which I was amazed at!! Jim came by today, and I was telling him what you had done which was awesome. I think you said the glass by itself weighed in around 12.5lbs if i remember correctly.

I'm glad you like the CF trim! It looks really good in person. Before i moved the interior components over from the other car, the 6MT interior just didn't feel right. But now with everything in place, it feels just right.

At the moment, each seat bracket is attached at 3 points. The 4th point on each bracket broke, i guess the welds weren't very strong when the install guy did them a few years ago. I should probably look into getting them fixed.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:36 AM
Kang Ho

Damn man, hardcore! I should tell my brother to visit you, eheh.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:10 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sick, Eric.

Question: is the Cusco cage able to be bolted down in the rear? That one shot of your rear seating area makes it appear as though there's nothing for the cage to bolt to. It seems to be expecting an Evo fender where there is no Evo efender.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
i would be sweet if you got a custom CF or aluminum roof
Old 10-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Just chillen..

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn that some crazy work! So I assume this isnt the family car?.. hahah
Old 10-10-2008, 11:19 AM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by SupaRookie
Damn man, hardcore! I should tell my brother to visit you, eheh.
Truong is your brother right?! I remember when i first met him. How's he doing lately,...he must be buried in the books with pharmacy school.

Originally Posted by Audioserf
Sick, Eric.

Question: is the Cusco cage able to be bolted down in the rear? That one shot of your rear seating area makes it appear as though there's nothing for the cage to bolt to. It seems to be expecting an Evo fender where there is no Evo efender.
Thanks bro. Right now the rear fender bars are resting. Today i'm going to bolt it down to the best of my ability. The angle of the base doesn't exactly match the angle on the fender, but i'm hoping that when i put the bolt in and the nut on the other side, that it'll bend it so that it conforms to the fender. Wish me luck!

Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
i would be sweet if you got a custom CF or aluminum roof
All things are possible!

Originally Posted by FL3.2TL
Damn that some crazy work! So I assume this isnt the family car?.. hahah
haha. Crazy right?! I haven't spawned any young bucks yet, so until then, a 2 passenger TL will suffice.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Hey, I saw you posting in another thread...quit wasting time on here and do work, son! It's beautiful outside, you should be in the garage swapping parts...or posting pics.

By the way, I'm leaving early today, so I'm probably going to knock out most of my painting this afternoon. Definitely going to swing by tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
....carbon roof ftw.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:45 PM
iScrape going into

New pictures you posted of the interior one word SICK!
Old 10-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is a BEAUTIFUL interior....
Wait, what interior!?
Hahaha, very nice job Eric!

Some MORE exterior and engine progress shots please.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I really hope that your new project will end up in a magazine one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously eric.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:22 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks bro. Right now the rear fender bars are resting. Today i'm going to bolt it down to the best of my ability. The angle of the base doesn't exactly match the angle on the fender, but i'm hoping that when i put the bolt in and the nut on the other side, that it'll bend it so that it conforms to the fender. Wish me luck!

All things are possible!
Good luck. I hope it works out. My concern would be that if you do indeed manage to bend it to mount flush to the rear fenders, doing so would compromise its structural rigidity.

Whatever happens, you know we can never have too many pics of this project.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,538 Posts
thats crazy that that cage fits that well. I wish that cusco made a cage for the euro r but they dont. I could get the autopower cage but there is no picture of how it fits and I dont want to cut my rear seats apart.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:30 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
ya know i just realized... what makes this thread so awesome, and the whole project KICK ASS

usually, it takes all of us weeks, months , years to get our cars done nice, and right... the way we like it

for you, its like..heres this new TL, and i've got everything in the world to put on already..and i can do it right!

i just think its cool, to like do it all at once......
Old 10-11-2008, 02:34 AM
USDM -> JDM

did i just read about CF parts?! haha... you should add on CF Trunk and Hood to make the car a little lighter for more speeeed =)
Old 10-11-2008, 03:39 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

damn dude, Wanna switch cars?!?! hahah looks nice though
~Jason
Old 10-11-2008, 08:35 PM
05 TL NBP 6spd S front

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
your car is one of the kind
keep the great job
Old 10-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Burning Brakes

alright eric, here is a little somethign something for you about the D2 coilovers
tell me what you think dude
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/dumpeeddddddddddd-3g-tl-691308/
Old 10-12-2008, 01:46 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
o man... it is lookin hot as hell...

ever thought about red stitching on the shiftboot? that'll be sick, goes well with the interior.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:33 PM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Hey, I saw you posting in another thread...quit wasting time on here and do work, son! It's beautiful outside, you should be in the garage swapping parts...or posting pics.

By the way, I'm leaving early today, so I'm probably going to knock out most of my painting this afternoon. Definitely going to swing by tomorrow.
I got your message from saturday. The girlfriend had me going to a baby shower with her! It was horrible, but free food.

Did you finish your headlights?

Originally Posted by JCharged
....carbon roof ftw.
..would be hot!

Originally Posted by Distorted Reality
New pictures you posted of the interior one word SICK!
I'm glad you like what I did!

Originally Posted by elkayem
That is a BEAUTIFUL interior....
Wait, what interior!?
Hahaha, very nice job Eric!

Thanks bro!

Some MORE exterior and engine progress shots please.
I did transfer the yellow valve cover and polished manifold to the 6MT, so i'll take pics of that soon.

Originally Posted by lights
I really hope that your new project will end up in a magazine one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously eric.
Me too man. One of these days!

Originally Posted by Audioserf
Good luck. I hope it works out. My concern would be that if you do indeed manage to bend it to mount flush to the rear fenders, doing so would compromise its structural rigidity.

Whatever happens, you know we can never have too many pics of this project.
It worked!...a little bit. It pulled the base down and is getting close to being flush. I'll try and get pics of that as well.

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
thats crazy that that cage fits that well. I wish that cusco made a cage for the euro r but they dont. I could get the autopower cage but there is no picture of how it fits and I dont want to cut my rear seats apart.
Yeah it's amazing how it almost looks as if it were made for the TL. Get the autopower!

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
ya know i just realized... what makes this thread so awesome, and the whole project KICK ASS

usually, it takes all of us weeks, months , years to get our cars done nice, and right... the way we like it

for you, its like..heres this new TL, and i've got everything in the world to put on already..and i can do it right!

i just think its cool, to like do it all at once......
haha it is pretty cool to modify it fairly quickly.

Originally Posted by AZN.M3NACE
did i just read about CF parts?! haha... you should add on CF Trunk and Hood to make the car a little lighter for more speeeed =)
I emailed VIS about a year ago about a CF trunk. Maybe i'll call them and see if they've got one out yet or not. When i took the trunk off the other day it wasn't extremely heavy, but a CF one could shave 15lbs I would imagine.

Originally Posted by Aznpersuasion
damn dude, Wanna switch cars?!?! hahah looks nice though
~Jason
i'll switch the 04 with you!

Originally Posted by melvin2816
your car is one of the kind
keep the great job
Thanks!

alright eric, here is a little somethign something for you about the D2 coilovers
tell me what you think dude
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691308
I posted!

Originally Posted by ILLustriousUA6
o man... it is lookin hot as hell...

ever thought about red stitching on the shiftboot? that'll be sick, goes well with the interior.
Red stitches would be hot.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:20 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

ok so i go away for a few months and come back to azine..and this is what i find lmao!...cant wait to see it finished =)
Old 10-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I got your message from saturday. The girlfriend had me going to a baby shower with her! It was horrible, but free food.

Did you finish your headlights?
Do you know how weak that is? Well, considering how cool she is, I guess a baby shower once in a blue moon isn't that bad.

Moving along nicely. Heads and tails are painted; tails are tinted and half put back together (just need to be epoxied); heads still need a diffuser (nobody will sell me a set ). I screwed up the clear outer lenses on the tails accidentally...kind of ticked about it, but it's not worth $150 to me, so I'm going to live with it. Maybe I'll sell these and do another set; I really want to try to perfect my easy open method for taillights.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:42 AM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
damnnnn... wat a transformation
Old 10-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Make sure when you get the works hub, get the short version. I have the short version, plus the GTC, and it's the perfect distance from the blinker levers. Anything longer would make it a little awkward to get to the blinker levers.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:41 PM
USDM -> JDM

reducing the car by 15lbs is better then nothing...
Old 10-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Nismo TL yo!

I NEED more pics....ha, nice build
Old 10-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Check out

View of the cockpit.

View of the passenger quarter.

View from driver door.

View from driver rear door.

Centerpiece. EDFC Module, Defi Link Meter, Spoon shift knob, B&I CF dask kit.

You guys like?!

I'm also going to find a place to mount the Defi boost gauge...probably on the front A pillar, and then mount the J's racing C-pillar support bar, along with the beatrush evo trunk divider plate.

For future interior mods, i'm looking at a works bell quick release with a short hub, and either a personal or spoon steering wheel. Possibly a beatrush floor support bar intended for an evo or a carbing floor support bar intended for a CL9, not sure yet.

: drool:
Old 10-13-2008, 08:03 PM
アコードタイプSとくれば、喜びもひとし お。思わず投

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
FUCK ME SIDEWAYS!!!!!!!

I'm lost for words Eric totally SICK! SICK! SICK! I will diff come and see your car in person on any car shows you will enter here in DC next year.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Instructor

where did you get the spoon shift knob?!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:07 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
You're crazy dude... Crazy.

With the money you got tied up in 2 TL's, and parts to make it look like it's faster than it is, you could have a truly have serious track car... or something a lot nicer. Hell, if you're dropping $1500 in rear strut bars... WHY ARE YOU NOT IN AN NSX, GT-R, ISF, 335or at least rebuilt evo putting in 600+ HP? You got $60K plus in front of you.

God bless you for doing it for the fun factor... I'm only being introspective, looking at the TL today, adding up what i got in it, and browsing craigslist, knowing I could have a lot nicer ride than a tricked out TL sitting there. I still love the TL, even more so modded, but man, I'd swap it in a minute for any of the above I listed (minus evo... 600HP or not, not my style).

Keep on keeping on... Your TL will go above an beyond what most here will ever consider.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Stand For Something

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The car is going to be f*cking RIDICULOUS, but...

Originally Posted by Kennedy
With the money you got tied up in 2 TL's, and parts to make it look like it's faster than it is, you could have a truly have serious track car... or something a lot nicer. Hell, if you're dropping $1500 in rear strut bars... WHY ARE YOU NOT IN AN NSX, GT-R, ISF, 335or at least rebuilt evo putting in 600+ HP? You got $60K plus in front of you.
+1
Old 10-14-2008, 10:09 AM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Some people have a passion for what they do and have a taste for a particular style of car. That is why so many respect Eric on here. He is not afraid to take two new cars and do anything and everything to make it his own. Unique and who he is. The car has mad style and it is nothing anyone else has done before.

Could he have bought a more expensive car...sure but you know the modding would never stop. It is a expensive hobby as we all are in the same boat here.

I look at it this way, he bought a brand new TL in 04, modded the hell out of it and gave so many people something to shoot for. The car gave him joy along the way and has won a lot of awards...She got tired and he was smart....Instead of starting over with something else, he bought the same car with the 6-speed. Taking all the parts out of one and applying it to the other with little cost to him. Recycling parts saves money. I think he was smart to do it that way.

He can still sell the 04 auto for around 12,000 and recover some of his modding cost. I think he is ahead of the game. Keep it up Eric.

Quick Reply: 04 5AT to 05 6MT Transformation has Commenced.