To you Supercharged folks...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 01:46 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool What sparked the fire...

Excelerate,

You had made a statement implying that Ford cars were better cause you didn't have to change a timing belt. I was demonstrating why Ford cars are poorly designed in a number of areas.
This is what set me off. I never said that Ford is better than any company. Ford sucks...so does Acura. Bean counters control all the OEM's.

My statement was simply teasing HiSpeed. If he has a 3.2L TL then he'll need to change a timing belt eventually. The Ford 4.6L & 5.4L engines never requires a timing belt change because they don't have one. Are the engines better? I never said it either way.

You took it that way and decided to run your fingers and spew misinformation about how to change parts on cars that you apparently are unfamilar with.

I believe I never asked for you to respond to any post in this thread but you decided to do so. If you are going to do it, back it up with facts.

I showed you the FORD SEVICE MANUAL procedure for changing spark plugs and you tell me you followed instructions from the F-150 forums. Still no evidence of removing the fuel rails nor does Ford even suggest to the technicians (who they pay to do the work) to remove the fuel lines. I assume you mean disconnect the spring-lock couplings and relieve the fuel pressure prior to doing so. Why you need to do this...I don't know.

Who cried?

You did...."
We had to do headers on that car. That is the most idiotic engineering I have ever seen someone come up with. It is nearly impossible to do that job. You have to take off motor mounts and jack up the engine and remove everything in site still to have to use 1 swivel socket and 1 swivel on top of that to reach some of the header nuts. This job takes like 10-12 hours to do. It's as if FORD designs something and then realizes they forgot some other stuff and starts adding stuff in to make it fit. And the headers I installed were Ford Racing Motorsports headers so those were from Ford too."
Wa......boo...hoo...Wa

Guess what? Ford engineers never thought you would be changing exhaust manifolds to headers on the Mustang. This is why they decided to use cast iron manifolds with steel crushable gaskets. No leaks...no problems!

No need to ever touch them. This is a car that is sitting on a 25 year old chassis based on the FOX platform.

Maybe if you remove the fuel rails next time it will allow you to install the headers easier.

Just FYI you aren't perfect and you are certainly not the epitome of knowledge. Other ppl do have knowledge, skills, and opinions and just b/c they differ from yours doesn't make them wrong.
You're right...I'm not perfect. Nobody is...but I never said I was. Did I?

I also never said anybody elses way is wrong. You are saying you way is better than Ford's way. Period.

A-Train
Old 09-16-2007, 01:50 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking My apology to everyone...

I did not mean to turn this thread into the mess that it is.

For that I apologize.

A-Train
Old 09-16-2007, 07:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I'm still a little unclear. Which is better, Ford or Acura?
Old 09-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Ford, if you want to blow it.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
A-train, thank you for your VERY informative post, your posts generally are. I certainly learned something from this one.

As for Honda vs. Ford.....who gives a $hit? What childish tripe. That debate has almost wrecked what should be a very educational thread.

Please keep on topic or the will come.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Racer

Honda engineers used very advanced tools to design TL’s engine. It was designed for Honda technology and production. That means they did not have to add too much just to be sure that calculations were right and that somebody down the line will not screw something. Everything is within narrow tolerances. That ultimately means that you can not get much more power from it without seriously hurting it. Welcome to the 21st century. More and more cars will be like that, which means that rubbish mod industry will blossom. You better get used to cold air and pulleys. You can also replace internals, or even better – buy a faster car.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Cajun Asian

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I'll answer that question for EVERYONE... the import of course.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:16 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Why did this thread turn into Honda Vs. Ford? It's informative to anyone who wants to run a supercharger on their car, the OP had the info as to why you need to do your research, then it turned into a domestic vs. import battle. Also, we are on a ACURA forum people, so of course the users, vendors, and moderators will be biased toward acura.

However; A-Train's OP has just reinforced the old rule about FI, you NEED to BUILD the engine for FI people! That's in fact all I took from this whole thread. If it didn't come OEM with FI then it was obviously not engineered for it. However; as far as blowing is concerned with the CT blower, if you get it installed at an ACURA stearlership then it is warrantied, now why would a stearlership warranty anything that didn't come stock if it wasn't reliable? Everything at a dealership is calculated risk, I worked for one, I know lol. But if you alter the original CT design to run more boost, then you're obviously asking for trouble.

So since I started fiddling with cars I always believed in the philosophy of building a car from the block up for FI just for reliability. Oh yes, I do belong on the TSX forum, but I like to linger in here to see what you guys are doing lol, and I haven't seen any of the TSX owners with CT S/C's having any negative problems with their motors.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:35 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
At 99,458 miles on my boosted J32, i'm getting impatient with this engine in terms of reliability. It still hasn't failed!

I will take some of this info into consideration when it comes time to build the new motor.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by mishar
Honda engineers used very advanced tools to design TL’s engine. It was designed for Honda technology and production. That means they did not have to add too much just to be sure that calculations were right and that somebody down the line will not screw something. Everything is within narrow tolerances. That ultimately means that you can not get much more power from it without seriously hurting it. Welcome to the 21st century. More and more cars will be like that, which means that rubbish mod industry will blossom. You better get used to cold air and pulleys. You can also replace internals, or even better – buy a faster car.
I agree somewhat. I think cars are coming out of the factory more "tuned" than they used to. A good intake and exhaust not only improves power but also fuel economy so we're not seeing the gains that we did in previous years. Just a look under an old A-body with 1.25" single exhaust with a pellet style convertor for a 5.7L motor will show how far we've come.

Gone are the days of free but effective mods like bumping the timing. Fueling and timing are automatically at the limits of pump gas for power, emissions, and fuel economy.

11:1 compression on pump gas was unheard of in the 80s.

The stock LSx series (camaro, Transam, Corvette) motors' heads flow nearly as much as Nascar heads 10 years ago. No wonder they love bigger cams.

The TL is nearly maxed out from the factory and I think that's why it doesn't respond that well to mods. Nothing wrong with that.

I miss the old days. I took my other car that everyone hates from a 13.8 bone stock to a 12.6 with a $50 chip, $40 K&N, good gas, and uncorked the exhaust for free. Basically $100 in mods took off over a second.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:53 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Disclaimer: I don't own and never have owned a F/I vehicle. I am very interested in owning one in the future, and this thread has proven to be VERY informative and very interesting, and I highly respect the members who do have experience with it, and I do not claim to know anything more than them... I MAY be wrong.

I too miss the old days. Which is why despite having on 03 TL-S, I went out and got a 5-speed 95 Integra sedan to play with. I spent so much time on team-integra.net (Integra enthusiast/owner site) and I learned a lot, several members there were F/I, whether it be turbo or S/C, and believe me they spend $$$ to ensure their cars don't self-destruct for no reason.

I don't see many members on here with intercoolers, fuel pressure and oil pressure gauges, oil catch cans, sleeved cylinder walls, and especially forged pistons and rods, which for the most part have been the focus of this thread.

There is a guy who hydrolocked his Integra GSR... I would guestimate they dyno around 140 WHP stock, and with his sleeved block, forged internals, metal head gasket, larger injectors, Garrett GT3076R and a whole laundry list of other things, he is pushing 500 WHP. He even put an air filter for his turbo inlet.

But you have to admire some people. Say what you will, but despite having relatively little aftermarket support for parts, they push the boundary of the J32, whether its safe or not, and whether or not you think its worth the money. I wanna hear what ThinJim thinks about this... AGAIN, I don't claim to be an expert on any of this, just noting my observation.

As for me, having driven and owned Hondas all my life, I am currently working towards owning my own S2000.... I'm more of a handling > power kind of guy. Not to say I don't like torque though.... I also looked at Trans-Ams and Camaros, the LSx engine really is an amazing powerplant. I'm sure the LS1tech guys would laugh at us for squeezing out only 50 whp with an S/C.