Yet another exhaust for the TL-S... Comptech enters the fold.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:24 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Yet another exhaust for the TL-S... Comptech enters the fold.

Was ordering some sundry nuts and bolts for my Supercharger install from Nate at Comptech, and he mentioned that they're finalizing the production of thier soon to be released TL-S exhaust.

No matter to me, with my 2006... but I figure you TL-Sers would be interested.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:46 AM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Really cool, although it doesn't matter to me either. Didn't know comptech was back or atleast on track again
Old 12-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Making the mighty dollar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will prob be pretty expensive. I think I would wait for the greddy to be released to the public.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:21 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
well their last catback for the tl was cheap ass quality for $1k... so the one for the tl-s better be better quality for the asking price... and um to say the least they have to provide more gains than the atlp catback, so it will be no such thing as selling just because it is comptech
Old 12-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
^what u talkin bout stillis?
Old 12-05-2007, 12:20 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by stillhere153
well their last catback for the tl was cheap ass quality for $1k... so the one for the tl-s better be better quality for the asking price... and um to say the least they have to provide more gains than the atlp catback, so it will be no such thing as selling just because it is comptech
Huh?

The current Comptech is great quality... I'm the third owner of one, and it's great.
Good sound, great looks, documented performance.

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread already. As an obsevant outsider, here are my thoughts.

- I've yet to see anything that indicates Greddy is producing an exhaust for the TL-S. I'm sure it's on the horizon, but considering it took em three years to come around to the 04-06 community (that's a lot of cars to sell to), and from that, they sold all of 50 systems (+/- 10 more os so that came late to the GB), I wouldn't hold my breathe. That's especially true considering Greddy used the Accord rig to jig up the current TL offering. For the TL-S, with those quad tips, they have to something compeltely fresh... and considering base TL's outnumber Type-S 10:1 or more, the market isn't that huge... and atlp.com has beat them to the punch.

Folks are also giving "untested" exhaust systems too much credit too. There are no production Greddy units out there yet, so how can anyone say it's superior to another? I'm still betting that greddy system is gonna be loud as F$CK. No resonator, nor mid-muffler, and Evo mufflers...? Yikes. Good luck with that, some folks like the noise and drone I guess. I bet 1/3 of the Greddy units wil be in the BM for sale because of the Noise.

- Comptech closed for a month. That's it. The existing management wanted out, Nate, and partners bought in. I've called a couple of time in the passed few weeks to order shit. Some one has answered everytime. Thier catalog is available, they just haven't paid the exhorbitant fees us IT guys charger to get thier web-site stood back up.

The only thing "low quality" on the Comptech exhaust is the b-pipe slip joint. Mine's a little rusty. Not sure why they used that. No big deal though, throw a little grease on it, and you'll never have a problem. Not sure where stillhere's comments are warranted, considering I'm pretty sure he's never owned on.

I'm more than confident Comptech will produce a quality product. Not only that, Comptech WILL probably outsell atlp, base don market presence alone... atlp's distribution network is AcuraZine. Comptech's distribution network is national, and in every tune shop I've walked into. Who's heard os atlp?... granted, I'm leaning that way.

In the end, I'm still leaning on that atlp system. It's a bit pricey too, for what it is, but the "beef" of the system, and the proven gains, and that means ass quad tip makes it a winner for me. Just deciding if I should wait and see what Comptech does.
Thsi commentary is presented not as a slam, against any manufacturer, just observation, and opiniom. Truth is, I think thier all great products, competition is great, and each has it's market.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:32 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

kk kennedy... agreed, waiting to see what comptech's got to offer is a very good idea... but they gotta do some crazy ass shit to make me buy it over the atlp
Old 12-05-2007, 07:35 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
comptech too damn long for me. i went ATLP

but no, there old exhaust was NOT GARBAGE !!! i liked it alot

and back in august, i spent quite some time on the phone with Nate talking about the exhaust and gave him some ideas and suggestions on it (quad-tips are a sure thing)

the only problem with comptech is they are killing themselves by not having their website up and low-production #'s on their products... and yes... a little pricey if you ask me

Kennedy. the ONLY flaw i saw on the 04-06 TL exhaust was the rear Y pipe.. mine (and im sure everybody elses) pointed down-wards in a point... and it stuck out like a sore thumb and looked like it would rub nasty w/ a lowered car... but, since it sat behind the rear wheel, never gave me a problem (1.9" drop)
Old 12-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
comptech too damn long for me. i went ATLP

but no, there old exhaust was NOT GARBAGE !!! i liked it alot

and back in august, i spent quite some time on the phone with Nate talking about the exhaust and gave him some ideas and suggestions on it (quad-tips are a sure thing)

the only problem with comptech is they are killing themselves by not having their website up and low-production #'s on their products... and yes... a little pricey if you ask me

Kennedy. the ONLY flaw i saw on the 04-06 TL exhaust was the rear Y pipe.. mine (and im sure everybody elses) pointed down-wards in a point... and it stuck out like a sore thumb and looked like it would rub nasty w/ a lowered car... but, since it sat behind the rear wheel, never gave me a problem (1.9" drop)
Someone told me that they are coming out with a new design of the catback for the reg TL
Old 12-06-2007, 08:30 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
ive had my comptech for awhile now and i still think its the best sounding catback out there. it is great quality! my only gripe are the flanges, they are not SS and rusted over time. i got a wire wheel, cleaned them up and used 1200 degree ceramic header paint (alum color) to prevent them from rusting again.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:51 PM
I have car ADD

yea no doubt about it, comptech exhausts are sick... i loved mine , no complaints.. but this ATLP thing that aznbo kicked up.. you guys really have no idea how sick it sounds.. i posted vids, but they dont do it any justice...

the thing is deep, throaty, it gurggles.... and there isnt an OUNCE of rasp to it
Old 12-06-2007, 08:56 PM
FizzyStatus!

Gurgling on a TL? I used to think it was impossible for a J series to gurgle haha, but ATLP does in fact gurgle But I kind of like a little bit of rasp
Old 12-06-2007, 09:10 PM
I have car ADD

yea... its hard to explain the gurggle... like when a STi w/ a turbo back downshifts.... similar to that
Old 12-06-2007, 09:11 PM
FizzyStatus!

.....hahah ok that's a little bit carried awayhahah
Old 12-06-2007, 09:12 PM
FizzyStatus!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=n0V68FpkE70

Those look like aspec rims btw
Old 12-06-2007, 09:33 PM
I have car ADD

you'd be suprised... wait til i get good vid/sound clips up.... doesnt gurgle AS much as the STi, but similar in sound... this exhaust is actuallly deeper... you can hear the larger engine displacement playing its part...
Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Comptech does have their website up. I'll let you guys in on the secret:

www.ct-engineering.com Comptech is now CT Engineering.

And don't forget that we will be producing an exhaust for the TL-S likely also. We are working on the base TL exhaust now.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:53 PM
I have car ADD

awesome

but, its still the same old website, just migrated to a new domain name... i wanna see some new products for the J35
Old 12-06-2007, 11:57 PM
I have car ADD

shit !! i was just watching my exhaust video from the blackura... i totally forgot that the comptech pipe had a mid-muffler in it !! thats probably why the ATLP pipe is so much louder and throatier
Old 12-07-2007, 12:30 AM
FizzyStatus!

haha
Old 12-07-2007, 12:33 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

So hold on I say that the comptech catback is garbage... And I ment quality wise... And now you guys are talking about rust... $1000 for something that rusts...

Rust ftl hahahaha
Old 12-07-2007, 01:50 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jesus! Kennedy's got me feeling like shit about my evoII's that I'm so anxiously waiting on. Do all of you guys feel that greddys exhausts are terrible also? did I' make a terrible mistake purchasing it? I love how it' looks as opposed to the comptech exhaust for my 05 and we all know about video acuracy of the sound of exhausts' but I still liked what I heard. Maybe it's just not kennedys cup of tea, I am a little younger then he is... I'll probably like the louder more aggressive drone as long as it comes with a few more pony's. (not to get off the subject, sorry carry on )
Old 12-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Not regreting my decision to go with GReddy. I still think CT is overpriced...if I could've picked up a used one for $500, maybe, but that's about it. I don't mind a louder exhaust (and actually prefer it) as long as it has a nice tone. I actually thought the GReddy video sounded good (given the quality of sound of internet videos). I can't comment on the ATLP because it's hosted on YouTube, which is blocked at work. If anyone posts a video somewhere that's not blocked, I'll check it out, as I will with a new CT exhaust, and offer my comments (like they matter)...but until then, I've heard two, and I bought the better of them.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:31 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by blackura_ny
shit !! i was just watching my exhaust video from the blackura... i totally forgot that the comptech pipe had a mid-muffler in it !! thats probably why the ATLP pipe is so much louder and throatier
I guess you failed to notice what I've been ranting about in some of the other Greddy threads. You yourself said the atlp is almost too loud as is. The Greddy uses a smaller mufflers and bigger pipe. It's gonna be louder. If the atlp bothers you now, it will get worse after you spend hours listening to it... which is why I say these exhaust sytems will end up in the black market. The sound is musical at first, but the first 3 hour highway trip you make, you'll want it off.

My current Comptech drones at 2200 rpm (6th gear at 70 mph) is almost too much for me. I have to run my phone calls at 25-30 volume to hear over the drone. I cannot fathom what these new exhasut are gonna be like.

Using internet videos to determine if an exhasut is right for you is like sticking your head up a bulls ass to survey the steak (ha ha... Tommy Boy reference). No but seriously, you relly should test ride an exhaust before you judge.

The supercharger supposedly kills the drone, which is why I'M not concerned about the atlp... but NA folks are gonna be loud.

So hold on I say that the comptech catback is garbage... And I ment quality wise... And now you guys are talking about rust... $1000 for something that rusts...

Rust ftl hahahaha
That's retarded... The flanges are made of mild steel, as are most cat-backs system flanges, because machining stainless steel flanges requires special tooling. 2 Northern VA winters, and the flange is lightly covered with surface rust. It looks no worse than the rest of the exposed underbelly of the car. It's not a big deal. Everything rusts in the salt belt. My stainless is even showing mild signs of corrosion. Stainless RESIST corrosion, but it corrodes too when exposed to harsh NY/DC winters.

Noone has explained here if the flanges on the Greddy or atlp are stainless either. My bet is they're not.

Originally Posted by aznbez07
Jesus! Kennedy's got me feeling like shit about my evoII's that I'm so anxiously waiting on. Do all of you guys feel that greddys exhausts are terrible also? did I' make a terrible mistake purchasing it? I love how it' looks as opposed to the comptech exhaust for my 05 and we all know about video acuracy of the sound of exhausts' but I still liked what I heard. Maybe it's just not kennedys cup of tea, I am a little younger then he is... I'll probably like the louder more aggressive drone as long as it comes with a few more pony's. (not to get off the subject, sorry carry on )
I never said terrible. I said loud. Greddy makes great product, that I'm projecting many will find is not right for them becasue of how loud it is. It takes a entry level luxury car, which is purposefully designed to be quiet and serene, and makes it as loud as the Civic with the fartcan you regularly snicker at.

I really can't wait to ride in one to make my own observations.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:50 AM
FizzyStatus!

The Greddy won't be nearly as loud as a civic. The sound will definitely be droney and loud, but not ricey loud and the temperature makes a big difference too. I'm not getting the GReddy, but I have to admit, it looks REAL nice once bolted up. I actually got kind of used to the drone but randomly bothers me and it SUCKS when you have other people in your car(lady, parents, etc), it can be actually kind of embarassing.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the drone on the Greddy is too loud I will probably get a midmuffler put in to quite it down. But I will cross that bridge when I get to it.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:19 PM
I have car ADD

lol kennedy

you can get a good look at your butchers ass... no wait... you can get a good look at a t-bone, if you... great movie quote, which definitely rings VERY TRUE

the videos aznbo posted, the exhaust did not sound loud or good at all... but i know that video will never capture the true exhaust sound.. a small mid muffler on these pipes may help it out a little bit, but i am content..

you are right about one thing, i do fear my next drive to the atlantic city (2 1/2 hours) and how much that exhaust will start to burn my ears.. the comptech, did NOT give me any problems when driving on the parkway.. this one is definitely louder.. but i want everybody to know. that in NO WAY does it sound like some fart-can civic garbage... not at alllll... its very very loud, but still manly, throaty and no rasp what-so-ever...

it may not be for everybody.. my girlfriend hates it already
Old 12-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Racer

ill have 2 c it b4 I believe it
Old 12-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
awesome

but, its still the same old website, just migrated to a new domain name... i wanna see some new products for the J35
The site will be getting an overhaul but I figured I would let you guys know what is available for now. I wasn't really supposed to be advertising the site but I wanted to let the AZ family know.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:26 PM
2K8 CBP TL-S 6MT

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Comptech does have their website up. I'll let you guys in on the secret:

www.ct-engineering.com Comptech is now CT Engineering.

And don't forget that we will be producing an exhaust for the TL-S likely also. We are working on the base TL exhaust now.
need an '08 tl-s to work on??
Old 12-08-2007, 08:06 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
ive heard them all, borla, magnaflow, tanabe, greddy (those cans for just way to huge for my taste) and comptech (which i have). you cant beat the comptechs sound. its not annoying loud, has a nice deep tone when cruising and a nice growl at WOT. i dont have any highway droning, just a very mild hum.

and kennedy is right, all of the others use steel flanges too, so they all rust sooner or later. i was just saying for the extra price of CT you'd think they'd at least treat them with somethin.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:11 PM
E55>>>TLS

so does anyone know when comptech will make the exhaust for the 07 TLS?
Old 12-08-2007, 10:58 PM
I have car ADD

last time i spoke to nate @ comptech he said around late winter/early spring the latest
Old 12-08-2007, 11:05 PM
E55>>>TLS

Wow! thats good to hear cuz now that i know comptech will be making an exhaust i want to compare it to the ATLP that aznbo is selling....if everything is the same (meaning hp gains and sounds) its gonna be a hard choice...but I've seen Kossticks ATLP and that is one mean sounding car...and so is Blackura's....so i'm gonna have a hard decision to make....any suggestions?
Old 12-09-2007, 11:58 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

so ct-engineering.com seems to be the very same thing am I correct?
was just on there and it looks to be all the same... crappy site lol, non loading images and all
Old 12-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

so ct-engineering.com seems to be the very same thing am I correct?
was just on there and it looks to be all the same... crappy site lol, non loading images and all
They're doing an overhaul of the site. That's just there for now.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:57 PM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
nuts and bolts for used S/C's

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Was ordering some sundry nuts and bolts for my Supercharger install from Nate at Comptech, and he mentioned that they're finalizing the production of thier soon to be released TL-S exhaust.
Hey Kennedy,

I noticed you were planning to install a used S/C, and also dealing with missing nuts and bolts. How were you able to figure out what was missing, and how much extra did they end up costing?

I recently purchased a used kit myself, and was disappointed to find that many of the smaller parts were missing. I've no idea where to start, since it's next to impossible finding all the relevant part numbers from the instructions/checklist.

Any tips/advice you have would be immensely appreciated...

Thanks,
silverTL6
Old 12-10-2007, 07:26 PM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

nuts and bolts for used S/C's

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Hey Kennedy,

I noticed you were installing a used S/C, and was wondering how you figured out which nuts/bolts were missing. Also, how much extra did these parts cost?

I purchased a used kit myself, and was disappointed to find many of these smaller parts missing as well. I've tried eliminating the parts I do have from the checklist, but it's next to impossible due to the lack of pics.

Any tips/advice you have would be extremely helpful...

Thanks,
silverTL6
Old 12-10-2007, 07:35 PM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Exclamation

^^ Mods, please delete this msg...it was meant to be a PM