XLR8 exhaust not loud

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by Dano0212
I recently bought an xlr8 resonated cat back system for my 2008 Acura TL. I installed it but it isn't as loud as I've seen on videos that convinced me to get this exhaust over the ATLP. Almost sounds stock sometimes especially reving it high.Is there a break in period for these exhausts. Got 300 miles on it right now. Just wondering if im ever going to get that growl that comes along with this exhaust.
Well, I have a couple thoughts as to why this is:

1) The XLR8 system didn't sound loud in videos because it is not a loud system. It sounds louder than others, like the ATLP, because it has a higher pitched tone to it that is more overt sounding. In comparison, an ATLP is throatier and more grumbly. Thus it doesn't sound as loud in a video because the bassier sounds are not coming through as well. But really, they about the same in terms of loudness. We've had personal experience with this in shooting our

2) Videos, as much as people rely on them to buy their exhaust, don't tell the whole story. There are entire chunks of the audible spectrum you are missing, and most people are not doing the best job producing their videos (for very good reason, but it is a fact).

To answer your question, you might get some tone change, but overall the system sounds how it sounds. If you want it louder then removing the resonator will help. But this might only serve to make it louder inside, not outside. Also removing the cats will make it louder, and this will also add power (but it is illegal, so keep that in mind).

Don't forget that Heeltoe is your one-stop shop for all your favorite Acurazine brands!
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (07-01-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
To me, removing the resonator doesn't make the mufflers louder, it creates more drone and "noise", like stages mods. When adding a resonator on the 3rd gen it reduced cabin drone a lot, but it only diminished the exhaust note by 1-2dbs which is not even noticeable to the human ear.

Just like how an exhaust system it bent, or how the mufflers are built, there are many resonators that you can pick and choose to get the best sounding exhaust system.

For instance when building the endless catback, we used countless mufflers and such to get the specific tone dialed in.

I will say that an exhaust thats brand new has to break in. As said before it reallllllllllly depends on the mods….if your stock, no exhaust system would be loud…

plus you have to realize the note inside the car driving is less than outside and on video (camera depending), sometimes too close, etc can decipher the sound. I NEVER tell someone to go off of videos, its never the same in person. For instance, the mean growl that magnaflow mufflers make (endless catback) no camera can catch that specific note from the exhaust, so videos may sound good, but it sounds better in person.

in addition to all of that, load has everything to do with the sound too. A rev will sound 100% different than driving off, because of load.

Either way endLess, atlp and xlr8 have been around for 10+ years and are here to stay. We are all owner operated and have helped out thousands, and will continued to do so. we aren't the huge conglomerate companies that make a quick buck and then when there is an issue you have to wait 5 business days, or have a hassle. So even if our products are a little more, or we sell something for a few bucks more…if you have a question, we are always helping. I myself have made a DIY section of videos that can be found on EndLess RPM. The EndLess cat back is lifetime warrantee to originals owner, but even if the others such as atlp and xlr8 aren't, they will most certainly do their best to help out.

Just something to think about when buying an item acura/honda related from our websites.
The following 2 users liked this post by AckTL05:
EvilVirus (07-02-2015), sockr1 (07-02-2015)
Old 05-02-2017, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust break in period

I have a 2006 Acura TL with an AEM cold air intake, and a non resonated XLR8 catback exhaust. So far I am happy with the tone and looks of the exhaust but I am not happy with the sound because it simply isnt loud enough at the moment. I do have an XLR8 V2 J-pipe coming soon which I know removes the 3rd cat and I am hoping that will help with the sound as well. Strangely enough though, my exhaust has a very good sound only up to 3500 RPMs and then once it goes past that it looses that rumble noise and just sounds stock. I have had the exhaust on for about 2 weeks now. So basically my question is, will the V2 Jpipe help with the sound and how long is the break in period?
Old 05-05-2017, 12:17 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Victor Scumaci
I have a 2006 Acura TL with an AEM cold air intake, and a non resonated XLR8 catback exhaust. So far I am happy with the tone and looks of the exhaust but I am not happy with the sound because it simply isnt loud enough at the moment. I do have an XLR8 V2 J-pipe coming soon which I know removes the 3rd cat and I am hoping that will help with the sound as well. Strangely enough though, my exhaust has a very good sound only up to 3500 RPMs and then once it goes past that it looses that rumble noise and just sounds stock. I have had the exhaust on for about 2 weeks now. So basically my question is, will the V2 Jpipe help with the sound and how long is the break in period?
The catback has to build carbon in the exhaust to get the full sound I believe
Old 05-05-2017, 12:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a look at my thread & my different set-ups & see if any of them fits your liking! I have had many different tones & the car really gets louder as you add on & get rid of things.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
A set of high flow pre-cats/pre-cat deletes would definitely help you get some more sound out of your system, especially if they were paired with a Jpipe and catback! The Jpipe should help you out as well however. I'd say once you have that installed do some driving, see how you like it, and if you're looking for something louder still then turn to HFPC/PCDs.

The break in period takes a little while, and is dependent on driving habits, but I'd say in the first month it should pretty much be there. (Assuming the car gets a good drive about once a day or so)

Good luck & happy modding!
Old 07-09-2017, 10:06 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyordrms
i have this installed on my 08 Type S, and yes defiantly takes a little time to break in, but after it does, you'll love the sound,

And my car is stock other then the XLR8 exhaust and AEM Cold Air
I realize this thread is old, and this post is old, but..... you don't happen to have a video/audio clip of what this sounds like on your car - do you?
Old 07-14-2017, 09:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Blute
I realize this thread is old, and this post is old, but..... you don't happen to have a video/audio clip of what this sounds like on your car - do you?
You can see a video here of a TL with our XLR8 exhaust and an AEM cold air intake:

It can be hard to get a true sound over a video, but I hope that helps a bit! Feel free to send me a message if you have some questions!

Last edited by ExcelerateRep; 07-14-2017 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Format