What size replacement air filter for Injen CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 766 Likes on 551 Posts
What size replacement air filter for Injen CAI?

I have a RD1482 Injen CAI and I want to replace the old filter on it with a new AEM dry flow filter. There's so many different sizes and measurements that I don't know which one I need that will fit closest to the original filter

Right now I have the original filter that comes with the CAI (X-1015-BR). I'm the 2nd owner and have put over 10k miles on this filter already, it's about time for a replacement.

Can someone tell me or link me to a dry flow filter that'll fit on my injen CAI closest to original filter dimensions?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the exact same position. I scored the same Injen CAI this week on Craigslist for only $100. It's in great shape but I really don't wanna use the old filter. I'm currently torn between just grabbing the same Injen replacement filter or the Fujita F5-250S dry filter. People on here seem to rave about Fujita. Btw I believe our filter inlet size is 2.50".

I'm really wanting that obnoxious loud intake sound when V-tec kicks in. Isn't that why everyone gets intake? Lol... Let's be honest, performance and fuel efficiency are last thing on your mind when your mashing V-tec past a 330i or A4. Am I the only person on earth that thinks this way? With that being said, my question is, does a replacement filter have any affect on the way the CAI sounds?

I'd really like hear any input before I order one this weekend... Sorry to hijack your thread but I see we're sort of in the same boat.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Related reading -

Oversized CAI Filter (click here)
Old 03-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JDMLOVE
I'm in the exact same position. I scored the same Injen CAI this week on Craigslist for only $100. It's in great shape but I really don't wanna use the old filter. I'm currently torn between just grabbing the same Injen replacement filter or the Fujita F5-250S dry filter. People on here seem to rave about Fujita. Btw I believe our filter inlet size is 2.50".

I'm really wanting that obnoxious loud intake sound when V-tec kicks in. Isn't that why everyone gets intake? Lol... Let's be honest, performance and fuel efficiency are last thing on your mind when your mashing V-tec past a 330i or A4. Am I the only person on earth that thinks this way? With that being said, my question is, does a replacement filter have any affect on the way the CAI sounds?

I'd really like hear any input before I order one this weekend... Sorry to hijack your thread but I see we're sort of in the same boat.
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
I noticed the AEM Dryflow stock filter that have a picture of in that thread lists it as a 3.25 inlet.

The stock Injen X-1015-BR has a 3.5 inlet.

Will the AEM Dry flow filter work with my Injen CAI or will it not fit?
Old 03-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Intermediate

Yes, you're right the inlet is 3.5"... oops

I have made two for sure decisions:
1. I'm sticking with Injen for a replacement filter
2. I'm gonna try their "Injen/Web Nano-fiber Dry Air Filter" w/ the "Injen Hydroshield Water Repellant Pre-Filter"

Now... Injen has two different dry filters with the 3.5" inlet size:

The original replacement size X-1015-BB and a larger and longer flange filter X-1021-BB

X-1015-BB: http://www.injenonline.com/mm5/merch...Code=X-1015-BB

X-1021-BB: http://www.injenonline.com/mm5/merch...Code=X-1021-BB

Maybe I'm on to something or maybe this bigger filter won't even fit. One thing is for sure, a dry filter is the way to go after a bit of research. Wet/Oiled filters seem to be outdated.

check this out: http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Also, the Hydroshield just seems like a safe bet all around for daily driving. Keeping the deadly H20 out and I'd assume that it would prolong the life of the filter. If I were to hit up the track then I'd definitely take the Hydroshield off.

Price shipped directly through Injen:

X-1015-BB w/ Hydroshield X-1034RED $83.85 (original size filter)

X-1021-BB w/ Hydroshield X-1037RED $92.28 (oversize flange filter)

Your thoughts? Has anyone ever used the X-1021-BB flange filter on the RD1482 Injen CAI?
Old 03-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Safety Car

Yes, you're right the inlet is 3.5"... oops

I have made two for sure decisions:
1. I'm sticking with Injen for a replacement filter
2. I'm gonna try their "Injen/Web Nano-fiber Dry Air Filter" w/ the "Injen Hydroshield Water Repellant Pre-Filter"

Now... Injen has two different dry filters with the 3.5" inlet size:

The original replacement size X-1015-BB and a larger and longer flange filter X-1021-BB

X-1015-BB: http://www.injenonline.com/mm5/merch...Code=X-1015-BB

X-1021-BB: http://www.injenonline.com/mm5/merch...Code=X-1021-BB

Maybe I'm on to something or maybe this bigger filter won't even fit. One thing is for sure, a dry filter is the way to go after a bit of research. Wet/Oiled filters seem to be outdated.

check this out: http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Also, the Hydroshield just seems like a safe bet all around for daily driving. Keeping the deadly H20 out and I'd assume that it would prolong the life of the filter. If I were to hit up the track then I'd definitely take the Hydroshield off.

Price shipped directly through Injen:

X-1015-BB w/ Hydroshield X-1034RED $83.85 (original size filter)

X-1021-BB w/ Hydroshield X-1037RED $92.28 (oversize flange filter)

Your thoughts? Has anyone ever used the X-1021-BB flange filter on the RD1482 Injen CAI?
My friend had a extra X-1021-BB filter laying around. I was over there yesterday and attempted to install it to replace my X-1015 filter.

Turns out that it WOULD NOT work. The X-1021 filter is TOO LONG so it will extend further out the bottom of the bumper (will be much closer to water). I couldn't even put it back together because the bottom plastics under my car was pushing against the air filter.

Conclusion is that the x 1021 would not work in my TL. Maybe if you cut the metal tubing of the CAI off by about 3 inches than it would work.

As for the hydroshield. My friend had it on her 2008 accord. She had a Injen CAI, Injen filter, and a hydroshield and her car still ingested water. She had the car towed to a shop and they were able to suck the water out
The following users liked this post:
JDMLOVE (03-26-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
My friend had a extra X-1021-BB filter laying around. I was over there yesterday and attempted to install it to replace my X-1015 filter.

Turns out that it WOULD NOT work. The X-1021 filter is TOO LONG so it will extend further out the bottom of the bumper (will be much closer to water). I couldn't even put it back together because the bottom plastics under my car was pushing against the air filter.

Conclusion is that the x 1021 would not work in my TL. Maybe if you cut the metal tubing of the CAI off by about 3 inches than it would work.

As for the hydroshield. My friend had it on her 2008 accord. She had a Injen CAI, Injen filter, and a hydroshield and her car still ingested water. She had the car towed to a shop and they were able to suck the water out
Wow, nice, what are the odds??? So tell me that you at least started your car to hear how it sounded?? Did you by chance also take any pics? I bet that filter looked like a beast...

Well thanks to you, I'm just gonna settle for the original size Injen/Web Nano-fiber Dry Air Filter" w/ the "Injen Hydroshield Water Repellant Pre-Filter. I like the thought of just having a tad more peace of mind, so I'll drop the $19 on the Hydroshield.

Really appreciate you doing the experiment so I didn't have to...
Old 03-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Safety Car

Wow, nice, what are the odds??? So tell me that you at least started your car to hear how it sounded?? Did you by chance also take any pics? I bet that filter looked like a beast...

Well thanks to you, I'm just gonna settle for the original size Injen/Web Nano-fiber Dry Air Filter" w/ the "Injen Hydroshield Water Repellant Pre-Filter. I like the thought of just having a tad more peace of mind, so I'll drop the $19 on the Hydroshield.

Really appreciate you doing the experiment so I didn't have to...
Sorry, No I didn't start the car. I took my bumper off to replace the filter and when I put the new filter on I realized that my bumper wouldn't go on properly because of the longer filter hitting the bumper so I just took it off.

Starting the car with it would kind of be pointless. It's just a air filter, it's not going to make the car sound much different. Plus with my j-pipe and precat deletes I highly doubt I would be able to notice the slight difference in sound.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:05 AM
Dedicated Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

hah i saw this ad on craigslist. was going to buy and resale it because he was selling it for a price thats unbeatable. good buy!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Safety Car

By the way, our injen cai filter is a 3.5" inlet, not a 2.5"