What could the problem be with my brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
What could the problem be with my brakes

Hi all. I have a 2007 Base TL automatic. Back in January/February of this year I purchased the Stop Tech slotted and drilled rotors for front and rear as well as the Stop Tech performance pads. I also had them install SS brake lines and used Motul brake fluid. I forget the exact specs on the brake fluid but it was the correct one for our cars.

Anyway, the car stops well, but ever since I had those new rotors installed anytime I hit the brakes hard, especially on a decent, I can hear them and feel the brake pedal vibrate a lot. It got to the point that it was annoying me so bad that I got my shop to get them warrantied through stop tech in June. At that point I'd had them on the car just over 5 months. Stop Tech sent me a new set and my shop replaced them. After replacing them, the same issue persists. I had the shop make sure they were bedded properly which they assure me they did, as well as check the brake pads for unever wear or any other issus, which they showed me was not a problem.

So they said that I could have possibly had a bad hub or something like that but I didn't let them check for that. Instead, I took my car to the dealership since it was due for its A12 service and I let them look the car over.

The dealership said that they recommened I take those rotors off and go back to factory and that would solve my problem. Being that I already spent my $450 on rotors, pads, and brake lines I obvoiusly didn't take them up on their suggestion so I figured i'd post here and see if anyone else has had any simiilar issues.

So, does anyone out there with Stop Tech slotted and drilled, or just slotted, have any issues like mine where the brake pedal vibrates when you stop?

On a side note the car was pulling to the left a bit so i had them rotate and balance my tires as well as check my alignment which was done only 3 months ago. They said the alignment was fine. They also discovered a slight bend in one of my rear rims so when they rotated my wheels they made sure to leave the bent rim in the back. They said it was slight and woudn't cause the issue I'm experiencing but I figured i'd mention it here anyway.

If anyone has any advice I would apprecaite it. I drive my car a lot for work and this vibration when I hit the brakes is driving me nuts. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:03 AM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
So it's JUST the brake pedal vibrating and not the steering wheel as well? Do you know what the sound of the ABS kicking in sounds like? I doubt it is the ABS that consistently but the ABS will give you a different feeling in the pedal kinda like you described. So when the shop got the warrantied rotors installed, was the problem the same right off the bat or was there any period of time where the new parts worked properly?

You gotta get on the phone with Stop Tech directly to get their knowledge and experience working for you. I'm not doubting your shops work or experience but I will definitely doubt a dealers motives any day. lol
Old 08-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
if your brake pedal shakes when you only apply on the brake then its your rotors that are warped or uneven. even though they're new they could have that problem.get them resurfaced and that will fix your problem.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
if the problem still exist it can be your wheel bearings.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Did you do the bedding procedure when you got them installed?

I would advise you to call Stoptech and get them to resolve the issue. It sounds like a warped/uneven rotor.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:17 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its your rotors trust me...what happens is when you keep your foot on the brake pedal for a little while, and the you let it go and hit the brakes back real hard, it creates little waves on your rotor. Because rotors heat up real bad, and when they are heated up like that they can be easily damaged. You can even check it your self, just move your finger on the rotor up and down and you feel those waves.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:26 PM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
unless it's the tiniest rotor warppage ever there would be some amount of vibration in the steering wheel too. I wouldn't doubt if it is the rotors cuz he maybe really hard on the brakes but with no amount of vibration in the steering wheel then it's pretty hard to support that. not too mention it's done it twice in the last few months.

who knows....
Old 08-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Racer

Thanks all. A few comments.

I don't think I feel any vibration on the steering wheel when i brake hard. I will pay more attention to it when I drive it on Tuesday. There is this particular hill that this issue always happens on so I will know then. It also makes a really loud sound and my wife always things i'm about to go off the road when she is in the car with me and hears it.

I know what ABS feels like and its definitely not the ABS.

I too thought that it could be warped rotors, so thats why i had them replaced the first time and immediately upon leaving they were doing the same thing. Matter of fact, the shop test drove the car and told me it was still doing it which led them to believe it wasn't the first set of rotors to begin with. I have felt them and don't feel any wave-ness and neither did the techs at my shop.

I was trying to figure out if this is normal with slotted and drilled rotors.

The shop I take my car to is very capable. They are called R/T Tuning and based out of PA. They are a performance shop and build serious machines. Most of the guys working there drift their cars and compete in regional events so I totally trust them. They work on my 350 as well and that car is perfectly tuned. They are very popular with Z's, skylines, mustangs, G's, Supras, etc...

I'm starting to think that DSTAH might be right cause the tech at R/T mentioned the same thing and i've almost elliminated every other possible cause. The only thing is that when I had the factory brakes (solid faced rotors) I never felt this vibration. If it was the bearing then it would have done that no matter what rotors were on the car.

CHAMP531, the tech that worked on my brakes performed the bedding procedure for me. I didn't have to do it myself both times.

Anyone else with StopTech slotted and drilled have the same issue? I wonder if thats just the way the rotors sound. I'd hate to have to take em off and go back to solid rotors.

My wife hates the sound of the brakes so much she told me to sell the car and get something else. I don't want to do that just yet cause i just got my a-spec kit in Jan/Feb, Brakes in Feb, and I just overall like the car.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Did you do the bedding procedure when you got them installed?

I would advise you to call Stoptech and get them to resolve the issue. It sounds like a warped/uneven rotor.
Yeah, i agree. I'm going to call StopTech again. The first time I called them they weren't too cool and didn't want to warranty them. I then had my shop call them and they warrantied them. As it turns out, it most likely wasn't the first set of rotors afterall. Anyway, i'll try them out again and see what tech support says.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
The problem could be the rotors itself by it's design. Slotted rotors have slots cut into them to help remove any pad gasses/clean off the pad, help improve bite and as well add a little more stopping power.

Depending on the pad combination and the way the rotors are slotted you can get a vibration or a noise. My Racing Brake Rotors are slotted and I'm using Acura A-Spec Pads. When I brake moderately hard I can hear a slight wooshing type noise from the slots biting into the pad and when braking hard that noise intensifies. However I don't get a vibration of any sort. I've done a 120-60 RAPID stop 2-3x in a row without an issue with my rotors.

If there are too many slots or the slots aren't machined properly then that could be a source of your problem.

However, there could be one other issue! Make sure the rotors aren't installed on the wrong side of the car!!!! There is a specific left and right rotor to make sure the slots are pointing the right way!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
The problem could be the rotors itself by it's design. Slotted rotors have slots cut into them to help remove any pad gasses/clean off the pad, help improve bite and as well add a little more stopping power.

Depending on the pad combination and the way the rotors are slotted you can get a vibration or a noise. My Racing Brake Rotors are slotted and I'm using Acura A-Spec Pads. When I brake moderately hard I can hear a slight wooshing type noise from the slots biting into the pad and when braking hard that noise intensifies. However I don't get a vibration of any sort. I've done a 120-60 RAPID stop 2-3x in a row without an issue with my rotors.

If there are too many slots or the slots aren't machined properly then that could be a source of your problem.

However, there could be one other issue! Make sure the rotors aren't installed on the wrong side of the car!!!! There is a specific left and right rotor to make sure the slots are pointing the right way!

Thank you very much. The rotors are definitely installed on the correct side and in the correct order. I agree that the harder I brake the louder the woosh sound gets. I'm going to call stoptech tomorrow to see what advice they can offer. I will update everyone once I hear back from them. Thanks.

Wil
Old 08-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by dstah
if your brake pedal shakes when you only apply on the brake then its your rotors that are warped or uneven. even though they're new they could have that problem.get them resurfaced and that will fix your problem.
You don't turn brand new rotors and effectively shorten their lifespan markedly.

Originally Posted by BlackRaven-S
Its your rotors trust me...what happens is when you keep your foot on the brake pedal for a little while, and the you let it go and hit the brakes back real hard, it creates little waves on your rotor. Because rotors heat up real bad, and when they are heated up like that they can be easily damaged. You can even check it your self, just move your finger on the rotor up and down and you feel those waves.
Stop, please.

OP, read this, then go buy some 100/150/180 grit garnet paper and sand your rotors. Worked on my Powerslots. I know you said it did it immediately, but maybe they didn't bed them properly? It doesn't take long for pad deposits to form on hot rotors.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old 08-23-2011, 12:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Did they check over your parking brake hardware? Any issue with the rear brakes will be felt in the pedal, seat, console etc, but not the steering wheel.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by ntwillie1
Hi all. I have a 2007 Base TL automatic. Back in January/February of this year I purchased the Stop Tech slotted and drilled rotors for front and rear as well as the Stop Tech performance pads. I also had them install SS brake lines and used Motul brake fluid. I forget the exact specs on the brake fluid but it was the correct one for our cars.

Anyway, the car stops well, but ever since I had those new rotors installed anytime I hit the brakes hard, especially on a decent, I can hear them and feel the brake pedal vibrate a lot. It got to the point that it was annoying me so bad that I got my shop to get them warrantied through stop tech in June. At that point I'd had them on the car just over 5 months. Stop Tech sent me a new set and my shop replaced them. After replacing them, the same issue persists. I had the shop make sure they were bedded properly which they assure me they did, as well as check the brake pads for unever wear or any other issus, which they showed me was not a problem.

So they said that I could have possibly had a bad hub or something like that but I didn't let them check for that. Instead, I took my car to the dealership since it was due for its A12 service and I let them look the car over.

The dealership said that they recommened I take those rotors off and go back to factory and that would solve my problem. Being that I already spent my $450 on rotors, pads, and brake lines I obvoiusly didn't take them up on their suggestion so I figured i'd post here and see if anyone else has had any simiilar issues.

So, does anyone out there with Stop Tech slotted and drilled, or just slotted, have any issues like mine where the brake pedal vibrates when you stop?

On a side note the car was pulling to the left a bit so i had them rotate and balance my tires as well as check my alignment which was done only 3 months ago. They said the alignment was fine. They also discovered a slight bend in one of my rear rims so when they rotated my wheels they made sure to leave the bent rim in the back. They said it was slight and woudn't cause the issue I'm experiencing but I figured i'd mention it here anyway.

If anyone has any advice I would apprecaite it. I drive my car a lot for work and this vibration when I hit the brakes is driving me nuts. Thanks.

i have stoptech cross drilled and slotted rotors on all 4 corners of my car and new pads just like you

recently i have had vibrations in my steering wheel and creaking noises when i step on the brake (front right brembo caliper)

took it to my mechanic and it turned out that the brake dust shield (i think thats what its called) got loose some how and was flopping around whenever i was on the brakes. now that has been fixed my brakes are perfect

with that being said i dont think the source of your problems is your rotors. the only noise they should be making is the shurring noise when you step on the brakes (this sound is extremely subtle)