Weekend of mods and a stripper named Alicia

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:22 AM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Weekend of mods and a stripper named Alicia

sooooo the weekend motto was "you gotta pay to play"
FulanihasaTL, Distortedreality, and yours truly had lots of fun and did a few things to my car

04 cleared lights;
black out amber and HID components; left the "foglight" housing silver
1) CFFL rings
2) Phillips HID bulb upgrade
3) 6k Luminex Foglight replacement
4) ZKW replica swap
5) silverbulb replacement for turn signals

but first; look ma! no rubber!

that is Fulani's sick ride ~ can't remember the offset but those are 20" and i think the camber was in the 3s?

so, I finally found out why ppl who clear out the headlights always say they never want to do it again.... it was fine getting the bumper off; in fact it was fine getting the headlights out.

what REALLY sucked was pulling the lights apart and putting them back together. anyway, there are enough threads on DIY for those;

here's what to look out for:

CFFL Rings are basically fluorescent bulbs curved; they have very little flex, and if you're not careful will break.

when you spray the silver parts you want blacked out or w/e color, make sure they are thin coats......it's very easy to get reckless with the can and the ridges and outline of the housing can disappear from too much paint.

here's a close up shot of the ZKW replicas installed. The first one we took apart the whole fixture, but we learned that we could really just jimmy the cover and pop the lens out. (i dont recommend doing the second way if you have fingers like the Hulk)

this is what happens when you don't wash off silicone immediately after the tube leaks; this image was taken after 1/2 a bottle of goo gone, dish detergent, and even gasoline was used. - needless to say, when we went to the bar later that day, a lot of references to fisting a hippopotamus was used

over exposed shot, this is all done on my camera phone sorry, anyway, here the silverbulbs look bright, but in reality they really are not bright enough.

I'd post pictures of Alicia and some of the other friendly people of Springfield, MO...but i doubt the venue would have been happy about me taking pictures.

oh yea so

1) my CFFL's are hooked up to the parking lights,
2) what's the rule about amber on the headlights in NY? and what color do your turn signals have to be in NY?
3) so i'm completely incompetent when it comes to wiring stuff in the car; is there a way for me to get brighter turnsignal bulbs without having to install a resistor?

will post more pics when my car is cleaned up.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:29 AM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Looks good! You really need to post pics of Alicia though...
Old 10-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
I told ya man, just get some LED amber turn signals from autoillumination.... And yeah that silicone tube busting was not very goood, not sure if alicia liked gasoline soaked hands, hahaha
Old 10-22-2008, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
I told ya man, just get some LED amber turn signals from autoillumination.... And yeah that silicone tube busting was not very goood, not sure if alicia liked gasoline soaked hands, hahaha
i was reading up on em after we got back, and it seems all of the LED turnsignals require resistors....unless i am not reading the right threads?
Old 10-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by JCL622
i was reading up on em after we got back, and it seems all of the LED turnsignals require resistors....unless i am not reading the right threads?
OH yeah, LEDs do need resistors
Old 10-22-2008, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
OH yeah, LEDs do need resistors
so there is no way absolutely to do this then without installing resistors? i guess it'd be a good excuse to drive back down to Springfield...ROFL
Old 10-22-2008, 01:34 AM
Sandy Eggo

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
So when do we get to see the stripper?
Old 10-22-2008, 01:56 AM
08 TL-S NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pffpffpass
so when do we get to see the stripper?
^+1
Old 10-22-2008, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by pffpffpass
So when do we get to see the stripper?
ask distortedreality apparently he got more than he paid for
Old 10-22-2008, 08:45 AM
now with four rings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wait wait...you're in New York and Fulani and Distorted are in MO...who drove to who? ..because i'm in Tulsa damnit and springfield isn't that far of a shot for me...

...but the lights look great and i've tried 3 times to do mine...never made it past removing the first headlight...
Old 10-22-2008, 09:02 AM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
MORE PICTORZ! Both car and pics

Originally Posted by rimz
...but the lights look great and i've tried 3 times to do mine...never made it past removing the first headlight...
Rico..wtf hahahah
Old 10-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Needs wheels

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so there is no way absolutely to do this then without installing resistors? i guess it'd be a good excuse to drive back down to Springfield...ROFL
You can install without resistors, but they will flash fast (about twice normal speed). I replaced all four turn signals and let them flash fast...looks pretty cool with LEDs because of how sharply they flash...oh, and I used switchbacks in the front.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by godizus
You can install without resistors, but they will flash fast (about twice normal speed). I replaced all four turn signals and let them flash fast...looks pretty cool with LEDs because of how sharply they flash...oh, and I used switchbacks in the front.
oh, that's all? okay that totally works for me, i don't really care if it flashes faster, I want it so it's visible. - which LED tower should i buy so it fits fine without requiring modding to the bulbs?

Originally Posted by rimz
wait wait...you're in New York and Fulani and Distorted are in MO...who drove to who? ..because i'm in Tulsa damnit and springfield isn't that far of a shot for me...

haha i goto school @ Washington University St. Louis, but i'm from NY - and yea if Tulsa isn't too far a drive, distortedreality and i are thinking about going back down to Springfield anyway, you should keep in touch!

removing the headlamps really is a 2 person job; it's do able with one person, but makes life so much easier when you have two. - which is probably why you've had so much difficulty

Originally Posted by ballinfizzle89
MORE PICTORZ! Both car and pics

Rico..wtf hahahah
hahaha i heard jay called you when we got stuck trying to figure out how to get the housing to sit flush.

i'd post more pics, but well....tbh we all started drinking around 2:30/3? (i think)...and it would go on till like 3-4AM....i don't really even remember taking the pics that i took!

oh yea and the medical advice from the weekend is: if you're taking cold medicine, specifically something like tylenol....do NOT attempt drink an entire pitcher of LIIT, 2 G&T's and some beer....you WILL feel like you're dying

here's another pic tho;

and i will post finished pics when i find time to clean the damn car....
Old 10-22-2008, 08:06 PM
iScrape going into

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh my...what a weekend....
Old 10-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Needs wheels

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh, that's all? okay that totally works for me, i don't really care if it flashes faster, I want it so it's visible. - which LED tower should i buy so it fits fine without requiring modding to the bulbs?
I used switchbacks from www.autolumination.com- SMT Tower 30 Led
My rear turn signal bulbs were from V-LEDS.COM - RED SMT 27 LED BRAKE/TURN/TAIL LIGHT BULBS 7443

I searched and found a coupon code that saved me 10% from one of them...can't remember which

Also, this thread may help:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/definitive-led-thread-all-youll-ever-need-know-about-leds-3g-garage-g-076-a-633045/
Old 10-23-2008, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by godizus
I used switchbacks from www.autolumination.com- SMT Tower 30 Led
My rear turn signal bulbs were from V-LEDS.COM - RED SMT 27 LED BRAKE/TURN/TAIL LIGHT BULBS 7443

I searched and found a coupon code that saved me 10% from one of them...can't remember which

Also, this thread may help:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633045

thanks! i went ahead and got the 30 LED SMT tower
Old 10-23-2008, 06:49 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Why not get the resistors? They're not hard to install. You can mount them in the trunk - and get away from having to pull anything apart up front again.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
I have a 2G so I don't know if your cars use the same flasher module, but what I did is buy a replacement flasher module that can handle LEDs. No soldering, a easy swap. http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm mine is the EP34, not sure about the 3G.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Trew
Why not get the resistors? They're not hard to install. You can mount them in the trunk - and get away from having to pull anything apart up front again.
1) i'm pretty bad at wiring things other than computers... i dunno why..it's just like that...

2) aside from reason 1, pulling the trunk lining out is a PITA especially since i dont have a garage to work out of now that i've moved into a new apartment...

3) if there are no intimidate risks in getting just the smt tower, then i'm okay with that......aka i'm a super lazy fucker

also, so does anyone know how to take pics of the CFFL rings and show it? I'll be cleaning up the car today or tomorrow, and i can't figure out how to snap a pic of the headlands without having the lights flood out in the pic