Water injection kit installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 05:13 AM
Import and Domestic owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water injection kit installed

Ryan 97812 installed my snow performance boost cooler last night. It was raining like hell so I really couldnt get on it without the tires spinning. But one thing we noticed is after putting it in boost for a while the intake manifold was cold and the comptech elbow where the nozzle goes was really cold. Before it was installed the blower would get hot and the intake manifold would get REALLY hot. So after 45 mins driving home I decided to get on it a little around my house just to try to heat up the manifold and blower, basically just trying to get it heatsoaked. What do you know, I get into my garage, popped the hood, and the intake manifold felt like the car was never even started. For me it is worth it, all I wanted is the blower not to get heatsoaked anymore. I really wasnt expecting any HP gains, but any gains will be a plus. My guess after driving home last night, even in the rain, but some spots on the parkway were dry, there is some HP gains. I will drive the car today on some dry roads and give some more info. Also if the weather holds I will be going to the track tonight. 13.5s.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:30 AM
300whp 237wtrq

AWESOME! great news, looks like i'm buying another toy

can you post some pics of where he installed it?

thanks,
-Andrew
Old 05-12-2006, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by MugenR
AWESOME! great news, looks like i'm buying another toy

can you post some pics of where he installed it?

thanks,
-Andrew
I just got to work and some of the roads are dry now. I had a chance to get on it and there are definately some HP and TRQ gains. The installation is so clean that the only pics I will be able to get is the nozzle goin into the elbow. Almost looks like nitrous is hooked up. Ill go out to the parking garage now and take pics of that. But as fas as the pump and solenoid, it is under the bumper. You cant see them whatsoever, without taking the bumper off. There is no place to mount the container for the window washer fluid, so he had to tap into the stock washer fluid container. Once again, I got to work and the manifold is cold, and the comptech elbow is really cold. Definately a good mod for me, Comptech told AcuraDriver2006 that there is no use for it since there is not enough boost. I totally disagree. It did what I wanted it to do, prevent heatsoak and give some gains. I will take the pics now of the nozzle.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:59 AM
300whp 237wtrq

by the way,
So I installed the Pro-Cats today.... wasn't to impressed with the welding, had to shave some of it off for the nut to fasten on. anyway, i got it to fit after many hours fiddling around with it.

First impressions, the car feels like it is flowing more free. Don't really notice much till about 3200 RPMs... hopefully the ECU will relearn and give me some more feel to it.

I did reset the ECU while installing the cats, but the feeling of power just didn't meet my expectations... was it the same for you?
Old 05-12-2006, 06:10 AM

I have to wait till I get home. Computer with the memory stick is down. Someone did a restore last night and now the operating system is gone. A good way to start the day off. As far as the procats were, they did 5 dyno pulls after first on only gave a 8 hp gain. the last one gave 18hp gain. You will have to wait for the computer to learn it. If you can take it on the highway and try to do some high speed pulls. Dont get caught . You will probably get a resonace at around 3800 rpms, that you will feel in the pedal and it will vibrate a little. Normal we all have it with the comptech exhaust. It will get better. I went out to take the pics and the manifold got hot just sitting there with the engine off. The elbow and everything. Kind of weird, the intake manifold getting hotter with the engine off. That shows that the boost cooler is doing its job cooling everything down. A+
Old 05-12-2006, 06:34 AM
321 whp SAE

Hey man good to hear.. is there a controller for the amount of spray at a given time?? how exactly is the spray controlled? like when and how much? Do you think your friend would be able to do the install of the spray for me ?? I'd drive down there for the install.. let me know.. Really glad to hear it is working !!

Also have to bypass the 2 coolant lines from the throttle body.. did you do that yet?
Old 05-12-2006, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
Hey man good to hear.. is there a controller for the amount of spray at a given time?? how exactly is the spray controlled? like when and how much? Do you think your friend would be able to do the install of the spray for me ?? I'd drive down there for the install.. let me know.. Really glad to hear it is working !!

Also have to bypass the 2 coolant lines from the throttle body.. did you do that yet?
You can get the stage 2 and it comes with a controller that you can control from the inside of the car. The stage 1 that I got you use a allen key to turn it so when the boost starts at whenever you got it set at, it activates the pump. I think mine is set at 2 psi. Shoot him a PM and see if he will do it. Ryan 97812. Screen name. Here https://acurazine.com/forums/private...newpm&u=125735 He is actually up by where you live. Brick. He should be able to do it. He is good at it too. I love how the intake manifold got hotter after the car was off. When driving and the washer fluid sprays into it, it is amazing how much it cools down. As far as bypassing the TB lines, he said it really wont make a difference. I have to get the mugen t stat and fan switch put in. We didnt have time to do it last night. Finding a place to mount the pump and looking to see if there was somewhere to put the container that they provided was a bitch. He just tapped into the window washer reservoir and mounted the pump on the drivers side under the bumper. I dont need an innercooler now!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey good to hear. I will probably be buying this as well know that I know it does the job! thanks againstallodds!
Old 05-12-2006, 07:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by againstallodds1
I have to wait till I get home. Computer with the memory stick is down. Someone did a restore last night and now the operating system is gone. A good way to start the day off. As far as the procats were, they did 5 dyno pulls after first on only gave a 8 hp gain. the last one gave 18hp gain. You will have to wait for the computer to learn it. If you can take it on the highway and try to do some high speed pulls. Dont get caught . You will probably get a resonace at around 3800 rpms, that you will feel in the pedal and it will vibrate a little. Normal we all have it with the comptech exhaust. It will get better. I went out to take the pics and the manifold got hot just sitting there with the engine off. The elbow and everything. Kind of weird, the intake manifold getting hotter with the engine off. That shows that the boost cooler is doing its job cooling everything down. A+

My guess for it getting hot is that the blower and the block are still hot so the heat is transfering and the boost cooler is not there to cool it off.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by blktl1
My guess for it getting hot is that the blower and the block are still hot so the heat is transfering and the boost cooler is not there to cool it off.
Yea that is exactly it. As soon as it is started and it sprays it gets cold again. I think it is well worth it. I think I am going to take my lunch break somewhere far away so I can drive to feel some more power. Now that the roads look all dry. Hopefully it doenst rain anymore so I can go run on the track and see what the gains are.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Yea that is exactly it. As soon as it is started and it sprays it gets cold again. I think it is well worth it. I think I am going to take my lunch break somewhere far away so I can drive to feel some more power. Now that the roads look all dry. Hopefully it doenst rain anymore so I can go run on the track and see what the gains are.
I think your computer is going to have to adjust again. My guess is that this will help more than comptech thinks. Colder air means more power. does this system have a setting as to when it sprays, meaning can you set it or is it acitvated by WOT or just by timimg.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Actually, I believe if you just inject water you will actually have less power. Essentially you use energy to turn the water into steam. If you use it to lower the temp then shut it off when the power is needed the benefit would be available with no other changes.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by blktl1
I think your computer is going to have to adjust again. My guess is that this will help more than comptech thinks. Colder air means more power. does this system have a setting as to when it sprays, meaning can you set it or is it acitvated by WOT or just by timimg.
Its activated by boost, when the switch sees 2psi (what I have it set at) it turns the pump on. It is just like a boost gauge is. Tapped into the vacumn line in the back of the intake manifold.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Cool. thats all I wanted to know.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
i think a dyno is called for on this. this is a water/methanol mix, correct?

remember, IAT is your enemy. anything to lower it will give you an edge on the game. glad to see people taking initiative.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by CleanCL
i think a dyno is called for on this. this is a water/methanol mix, correct?

remember, IAT is your enemy. anything to lower it will give you an edge on the game. glad to see people taking initiative.
Correct water/methanol injection.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:46 PM
8 second & 150 mph member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Paul, im gonna have to do it to my car now just need to do a few more installs so i can afford it Hope you make some good passes tonight. Hopefully we can run next week if the weather holds up, atco on tuesday or e town on wednesday. Good luck
Old 05-12-2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by RYAN97812
Paul, im gonna have to do it to my car now just need to do a few more installs so i can afford it Hope you make some good passes tonight. Hopefully we can run next week if the weather holds up, atco on tuesday or e town on wednesday. Good luck
Yea after driving today in the 75 degree weather, it pulls. My guess would be around 20whp gain. Well the real test will be tonight. 13.5s. It is definately a really clean installation. Looks very professional
Old 05-12-2006, 05:23 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
A+ Buddy! Good to know...was just talking to somebody about the concept this week!
Old 05-12-2006, 05:24 PM
The Boss

Yea after driving today in the 75 degree weather, it pulls. My guess would be around 20whp gain. Well the real test will be tonight. 13.5s. It is definately a really clean installation. Looks very professional
Paul,
I see that you're still online. Get your ass off the computer and drive down to ATCO to meet me at the track. We're running and we'll see how badly you can pull infront of me with all those mods.

Now stop typing on this forum and get your ass down here!

6:22pm EST
Old 05-12-2006, 05:41 PM

Its on. 04 Supercharged 5AT vrs 05 Supercharged 5AT. Should be interesting. Anyone want to predict the outcome with times and mph?
Old 05-12-2006, 05:51 PM
The Boss

^Jesus Christ, leave already Paul!
Old 05-12-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
My $ is on againstallodds1 since I Believe you have more mods and slicks.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
^Jesus Christ, leave already Paul!
Hey I just called you, Im leaving in 5 mins, just waiting for my girls friend to get to my house and we are leaving. Be there by 7:30 - 7:45.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
20 whp? let's be a little more realistic.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:29 AM
Pro

Well? What happened?
Old 05-13-2006, 06:29 AM

Well I dont want to give any excuses but humidity read 89% & 100%. We ran each other Me 14.1 and AcuraDriver2006 14.6. My best last night was 13.88 at 102mph with a bad 60' 2.20. My best 60' is 2.09, so I know the humidity was up there. A mustang hit the wall because of traction problems. The longer I drive the car in boost the more power I get. Once I stop and the intake gets hot again because there is no spraying to cool it down. I said 20whp gain because I never had traction problems with my drag radials, but after the water injection on top of 1st gear it spins now on the street. Check out this http://www.snowperformance.net/prodd...p?prod=auto010 for reality.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:41 AM

Just to clear any misconfusion up. Am I still happy with the results of the water/methanol injection kit? Absolutly. The more you drive in boost the colder it gets. I still have a little tunning to do with the pump. Yesterday it was making my car a little hard to start. Took a few seconds with turning the key. I lowered the pump pressure and it worked, starts OK, but I still have to raise back up a little. Before the more I drove in boost the worst off it got, now it is the opposite. When I got almost home I had my girl and her friend in the car, I was in boost a lot, so I downshifted to second and punched and her words were holy shit, it never felt like that!
Old 05-13-2006, 06:55 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Droolling here!!
Old 05-13-2006, 07:53 AM
The Boss

Well I dont want to give any excuses but humidity read 89% & 100%. We ran each other Me 14.1 and AcuraDriver2006 14.6. My best last night was 13.88 at 102mph with a bad 60' 2.20. My best 60' is 2.09, so I know the humidity was up there. A mustang hit the wall because of traction problems. The longer I drive the car in boost the more power I get. Once I stop and the intake gets hot again because there is no spraying to cool it down. I said 20whp gain because I never had traction problems with my drag radials, but after the water injection on top of 1st gear it spins now on the street. Check out this http://www.snowperformance.net/prodd...p?prod=auto010 for reality.
Such a shame for me running at 14.6 at 99mph. But then again it was my 1st time at the track. Those cones they set at the track fucks me up, especially then sat almost at the middle of my lane. My 60' was terrible at 2.41. I could definitely cut it down to high 13s but need more practice. Paul's w/m/i is definitely something I would consider!
Old 05-13-2006, 07:57 AM
The Boss

BTW, I must say with my EL42 tires, they were horrible at the track...
Old 05-13-2006, 08:36 AM
6speed NBP

So how does thing thing work? It sprays water/methanol on the intake? if am correct, then how fast does the water run out?
Old 05-13-2006, 02:45 PM
The Boss

Originally Posted by EternaLlx
So how does thing thing work? It sprays water/methanol on the intake? if am correct, then how fast does the water run out?

The W/M/I kit is drilled right between the engine elbow and the S/C (Paul will have pictures if he takes some). Upon hitting boost, the pump will inject and spray into the elbow and cools then engine as its boosting. The pump is connected to the windshield wiper fluid so it's easy to maintain. I have to tell ya, Ryan97812 is an excellent technician and if you live around the Tri-State area.. with any modification installation, you ought to pm him. He is by far the best and coolest guy. I don't think I would have gotten the blower without him intalling it for me. It's been a blast and I'm going to order the w/m/i in the future.

When we were at the track last night, Paul's blower and engine was much cooler than mine. Definitely a great modification!
Old 05-13-2006, 03:08 PM

I'll have pics up soon. In about 2hrs. I am going to my parents house and I will do it there. Once again Ill say that the more you run in boost with the water methanol injection, the better it runs and cooler. With no water methanol it runs badly as soon as the blower heats up.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:56 PM
321 whp SAE

Just to clear any misconfusion up. Am I still happy with the results of the water/methanol injection kit? Absolutly. The more you drive in boost the colder it gets. I still have a little tunning to do with the pump. Yesterday it was making my car a little hard to start. Took a few seconds with turning the key. I lowered the pump pressure and it worked, starts OK, but I still have to raise back up a little. Before the more I drove in boost the worst off it got, now it is the opposite. When I got almost home I had my girl and her friend in the car, I was in boost a lot, so I downshifted to second and punched and her words were holy shit, it never felt like that!
this scares me.. that can't be good that it's having trouble starting.. too much water in the engine? hmmm last time i had starting issues, the engine wasn't getting enough fuel.. now i'm having second thoughts. PAUL - keep me updated as to whether you fixed the problem or not..
Old 05-13-2006, 04:50 PM

Click on it for larger view

Old 05-13-2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
this scares me.. that can't be good that it's having trouble starting.. too much water in the engine? hmmm last time i had starting issues, the engine wasn't getting enough fuel.. now i'm having second thoughts. PAUL - keep me updated as to whether you fixed the problem or not..
Oh the problem was fixed as soon as I noticed it. I just turned the pump down a turn, so it sprays less. Now it doesnt feel as strong as it did when it was turned up. I should of left it up when I went to the track. I am going to turn it up a little more. Really easy to do The tech at snow performance said that you really cant get any bad effects with this.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:39 PM
321 whp SAE

looks nice.. i see you didn't tap the vaccum line from the bypass valve for the boost gauge.. what line did you tap?
Old 05-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Looks good paul i would like to run you guy's without my charger. i am willing to meet you guy's at atco one night next week unless your coming to Englishtown which is a way better track i believe the 6Mt is as fast as a charger 5AT would love to see. I cant get Dave/ bklynpanman to run me so i am turning to you guy's. I want the charger but i have to see it run for myself. And if that means taking an ass whoopen then im down for it
Old 05-13-2006, 09:37 PM
8 second & 150 mph member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nitrotiger, we'll be at atco tuesday if weathers good but ill have my camaro then, then we'll be at e town on friday and ill have my tl then.

Quick Reply: Water injection kit installed