UR Pulley set! Who enjoys them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:29 AM
UA6mt NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
UR Pulley set! Who enjoys them?

Looking to purcahse a UR Pulley set on the 3G and i have been reading some threads but i am looking to see who all has installed them, who enjoys them, and who has had any kind of problems with them if there were any and what they were.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
There are many many Acurazine members on this board with the UR crank pulley. The UR pulleys are well-made and of high quality. They free up horsepower by reducing parasitic loss. There are no issues to date that we have encountered and there are a number of J-series motors will 200k+ on them with the lightweight pulley.

There is no pulley set currently for the 3rd gen TL. Most of the gains are from the crank pulley.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Josh summed it up nicely.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
OP, many pro/con views expressed in this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=612971&page=1

I was going to add a UR pulley during my TB change out but decided against it.

Hopefully some of those Azine members that Josh mentioned will chime in.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I had a stock sized UR pulley on my 06-6MT. I felt that it accelerated more quickly and when running slowly in a lower gear, the transition off and on the gas was much smoother.

The only reason I took it off was I went FI and I am going to be replacing the clutch with a LW flywheel. If I stayed with bolt-on's, I would have left it on.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I have the smaller crank pulley from UR, not installed yet. Getting timing belt done this weeks so I will let you know how it feels soon.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:24 PM
2005 AM at/navi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i sort of with mayron on this, but i have the stock size lightweight pulley. getting my TB serviced soon and my mechanic was cool enough to put the pulley and side motor mount for the same price he had quoted me without these. i was gonna install it a few weeks ago and he told me about the motor mount being broken, so im waiting for it in the mail. thats why i added the pulley to my mods in my signature. i will report soon.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by jr27
i sort of with mayron on this, but i have the stock size lightweight pulley. getting my TB serviced soon and my mechanic was cool enough to put the pulley and side motor mount for the same price he had quoted me without these. i was gonna install it a few weeks ago and he told me about the motor mount being broken, so im waiting for it in the mail. thats why i added the pulley to my mods in my signature. i will report soon.
Hate to burst your bubble, but your mechanic isn't really doing you any favors. Both the side motor mount and crank pulley have to come off anyhow for the timing belt change....

Last edited by nfnsquared; 03-28-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:32 AM
I mod my car in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the UR stock diameter pulley on my car for about a year and a half, the install was cake (i did the breaker bar lowered to the ground and cranked the motor once with the fuel pump relay off). I havent had a problem at all. I did see very good gains from it too. My friend and i would always do a mod and race and he would beat me then i would mod and i would beat him and after i did the crank pulley he was like "WTF?" So i highly recommend you installing this if your looking for a noticable gain....or "free up of horsepower"
Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Hate to burst your bubble, but your mechanic isn't really doing you any favors. Both the side motor mount and crank pulley have to come off anyhow for the timing belt change....
I second this...

But i ran an underdrive on my car for a while and the only reason I got rid of it was i went to a S/C. I have had one on my MDX for 3+ years with no issues. Felt great, feels like the engine doesnt work as hard.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:48 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Stock size Crank Pulley, 2 1/2 years and ~29,500 miles. No issues.

Some one did a theoretical calculation on gains based on reduced mass. IIRC, that indicated more gain in lower gears, which I think makes sense.

Last edited by Bearcat94; 03-29-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:00 AM
2005 AM at/navi

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
yeah i guess ur right but maybe another mechanic would have taken it off and then once it was there put it back on and then charge labor again? idk but this guy is a good guy, he even showed me where to get his direct price from and i did same some on the motor maount paid 53 bucks with express shipping and tax. when my local autozone wanted 98 and they had to order it, acura wanted 138. but i do see what you are saying and he did tell me that too he said i need to get them off anyways.

Originally Posted by 04_6SPEEDTL
I have had the UR stock diameter pulley on my car for about a year and a half, the install was cake (i did the breaker bar lowered to the ground and cranked the motor once with the fuel pump relay off). I havent had a problem at all. I did see very good gains from it too. My friend and i would always do a mod and race and he would beat me then i would mod and i would beat him and after i did the crank pulley he was like "WTF?" So i highly recommend you installing this if your looking for a noticable gain....or "free up of horsepower"
same thing i want it for bro, a buddy and me always do this too and yesterday he beat me he added cai and mufflers to his 05 maxima manual. before these mods he just did, he would get the jump and i would beet him as soon as i got to third gear so im hoping that with this pulley i can at least be dead even from a dig
Old 03-29-2011, 12:16 PM
I mod my car in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jr27
same thing i want it for bro, a buddy and me always do this too and yesterday he beat me he added cai and mufflers to his 05 maxima manual. before these mods he just did, he would get the jump and i would beet him as soon as i got to third gear so im hoping that with this pulley i can at least be dead even from a dig
It most def should!!!, funny you say that my friend had a manual altima haha
Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 AM
UA6mt NBP

sounds like its a needed part for fun will be purchasing very soon.

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=1809

which one would you say is the one to go with?
All i will be running is j-pipe and pcd's no sound system or anything that will take power away just the A/C in the summer time which i barely use anyways

Last edited by akertulis; 03-30-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:19 PM
2005 AM at/navi

Originally Posted by akertulis
sounds like its a needed part for fun will be purchasing very soon.

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=1809

which one would you say is the one to go with?
All i will be running is j-pipe and pcd's no sound system or anything that will take power away just the A/C in the summer time which i barely use anyways
i believe that if you go with the smaller one you will need a smaller belt too. if you have no plans on doing a supercharger or sound system i would go with the smaller pulley. only reason i got the stock size is because i plan on doing a supercharger in the near future, i may put some subs i have sitting in my garage, and i had already bout the belt for my 105k service. so the stock size was the one for me.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:58 PM
UA6mt NBP

yea no future supercharger or system for me
Old 03-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I highly recommend them, one of the best bang for the buck mods in my opinion. Had many customers install them on their Accords with great results. One customer dyno'd the underdrive on his 08+ Accord V6 and gained +9 hp and +20 ft lbs of tq to the wheels!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 PM
UA6mt NBP

what belt is needed to run the underdrive pulley
Old 03-31-2011, 01:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Throwdown
I highly recommend them, one of the best bang for the buck mods in my opinion. Had many customers install them on their Accords with great results. One customer dyno'd the underdrive on his 08+ Accord V6 and gained +9 hp and +20 ft lbs of tq to the wheels!
Not trying to be that guy but the "gains" are minimal. 20 lbs of torque I would love to see the dyno on that. Although there hasn't been any problems, I have always been against these things. I feel like it over works the engine, and will wear out the engine faster. Its almost like riding a 21 speed bike in a lower gear all the "gains", if there is any, would be take off (low rpms). We all know take off we don't need power, its the higher RPMs. Our cars with FWD is a problem already so tracking isn't there to begin with. Best bang for the buck would be the J pipe or Pre-cats because our exhaust is very restrictive and making it free flowing really does wonders.

I don't even wanna start with the TB spacers and how much they are a fail for our cars.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 AM
UA6mt NBP

well i def dont want to put wear on my engine especially since i have 114k on it as of now so ill have to do more reasearch on that one
Old 03-31-2011, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by akertulis
well i def dont want to put wear on my engine especially since i have 114k on it as of now so ill have to do more reasearch on that one
I don't think that anyone has had any "premature wear" on the engine from being "over worked" by this pulley. That's 7 years of 3G TL and no one has complained about it.

And the engines aren't overworked by this mod, it's by people thinking they got a "go fast" mod so they bag on their car more.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AckTL05
Not trying to be that guy but the "gains" are minimal. 20 lbs of torque I would love to see the dyno on that. Although there hasn't been any problems, I have always been against these things. I feel like it over works the engine, and will wear out the engine faster. Its almost like riding a 21 speed bike in a lower gear all the "gains", if there is any, would be take off (low rpms). We all know take off we don't need power, its the higher RPMs. Our cars with FWD is a problem already so tracking isn't there to begin with. Best bang for the buck would be the J pipe or Pre-cats because our exhaust is very restrictive and making it free flowing really does wonders.

I don't even wanna start with the TB spacers and how much they are a fail for our cars.
Not a problem at all - that's why we have these things dyno'd. Hope theres no issue with linking to another forum, but if there is just contact us. Here's the thread for the underdrive crank pulley on a V6 Accord AT : http://www./forums/showthread.php?t=52533

Here's the thread with the before (so with the pulley installed) and after with P2R Ported intake runners, thermal intake manifold gasket and throttle body spacer : http://www./forums/showthread.php?t=52866

I don't think I understand the wear comment either, how would putting a much lighter pulley on the car cause wear? If anything the engine is having to push less weight around. And throttle body spacer, hopefully we'll get a dyno on that individually very soon for you, but many customers on the Accord platform have really enjoyed it (same part). Of course it's a minor mod for the cost, but definitely something worth a few extra HP that's been dyno'd on various Honda's and looks great in the engine bay.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by myron
And the engines aren't overworked by this mod, it's by people thinking they got a "go fast" mod so they bag on their car more.
Correct, it's similar to intakes and other items that would actually help the car run more efficiently, but with the extra power many push them a bit harder which nullifies the benefit
Old 03-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Throwdown
Correct, it's similar to intakes and other items that would actually help the car run more efficiently, but with the extra power many push them a bit harder which nullifies the benefit
I was just under the assumption it would throw off the counter balance and pre mature the bearings. Its still up in the air is its good/bad and like I have said before, there are so many more people with 3G TL's that aren't even on this website. I wouldn't say its "bad", but even some reputable mechanics are 99% and won't give me a full "its great". If you have the S/C, do NOT get the under drive size.

Did you all know J&R isn't the only one making Turbos for our cars? There is more then the comptech super charger for our cars as well. I have seen custom exhausts, custom J pipe and much other things that aren't from our vendors. There are so many people with these cars outside of this website, everyone would be surprised what kind of custom work people are doing.

As far as TB, most of the time they are made wrong and produce air blockage leading to a decrease in HP. Me or my reputable mechanic that works on Honda/Acura's has yet to see one that gives positive results and have only see them give negative results.

Let me know when you get that Dyno.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Although there hasn't been any problems, I have always been against these things. I feel like it over works the engine, and will wear out the engine faster. Its almost like riding a 21 speed bike in a lower gear all the "gains", if there is any, would be take off (low rpms). We all know take off we don't need power, its the higher RPMs. Our cars with FWD is a problem already so tracking isn't there to begin with. Best bang for the buck would be the J pipe or Pre-cats because our exhaust is very restrictive and making it free flowing really does wonders.

Fortunately, this isn't an emotional debate so feelings don't count. Actual experience and use has demonstrated no premature wear. Gains have been documented in the low and high end. Yes there are parts that make more power but the light weight crank pulley is also a power adder.

If you'd like to see some of the dynos use this link:

http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/dyno....aspx#section2
Old 03-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I was just under the assumption it would throw off the counter balance and pre mature the bearings. Its still up in the air is its good/bad and like I have said before, there are so many more people with 3G TL's that aren't even on this website. I wouldn't say its "bad", but even some reputable mechanics are 99% and won't give me a full "its great". If you have the S/C, do NOT get the under drive size.

Did you all know J&R isn't the only one making Turbos for our cars? There is more then the comptech super charger for our cars as well. I have seen custom exhausts, custom J pipe and much other things that aren't from our vendors. There are so many people with these cars outside of this website, everyone would be surprised what kind of custom work people are doing.

As far as TB, most of the time they are made wrong and produce air blockage leading to a decrease in HP. Me or my reputable mechanic that works on Honda/Acura's has yet to see one that gives positive results and have only see them give negative results.

Let me know when you get that Dyno.
As I heard somewhere, Assumption is the mother of all fu*kups.

The pulley issue has been debated to DEATH....no clear winner either way except to say no one has been able to prove premature wear or failure from having the pulley installed.

I'd like to see what other people are doing, do you have links to all the other turbocharged 3G TL's out there?

Last edited by KN_TL; 03-31-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KN_TL

The pulley issue has been debated to DEATH....no clear winner either way except to say no one has been able to prove premature wear or failure from having the pulley installed.

I'd like to see what other people are doing, do you have links to all the other turbocharged 3G TL's out there?
No links. My tuner has tuned about 3 of them he said and one was there the first time I went. My tuner also can make a set up. Its not so much the turbo thats the problem, its the custom piping. If you can find someone that makes custom piping, he/she would be the one that can make the Turbo.

I will try and get him on here. I know paul (NVA-AV6) makes them and he currently doing a custom TT build for someone, I will let him chime in.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KN_TL

Here is one I found:
http://www..net/forums/7g-performanc...3whp-5psi.html
Old 04-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Race Director

^^^^linky no worky. Looks like the evil Azine link filter edited it...
Old 04-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

http://www.v6(erase this)performance.net/forums/7g-performance-discussion/210300-vid-2004-tl-6mt-turbo-343whp-5psi.html