Underdrive Pulley's

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm lost..

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Underdrive Pulley's

So until a couple weeks ago, I didn't know what an underdrive pulley was. It's not a mod that I've heard nearly as often as CAI, SC, ATLP exhaust etc.

I'm told it increases, or free's up 6-8HP. Noticeable difference IMO. My question is, why don't more people get this mod done?

This will definitely be the next mod for the car.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm lost..

On that note, a CAI and a UR crank pulley would be a great mod combo to increase the cars performance.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:59 PM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if you notice people that have a CAI and exhaust, most likely have a UR pulley. Mines sitting in my room untill I get my ass up to install it.

Cant really say why more people dont have this mod but it is a good mod to have.

Last edited by TLType-s12; 11-29-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:28 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told that adding the pulley creates more stress for the other engine parts, causing them to die out faster.
Can anyone elaborate on this?
Old 11-29-2008, 01:18 AM
I'm lost..

Originally Posted by KGforPrez
I was told that adding the pulley creates more stress for the other engine parts, causing them to die out faster.
Can anyone elaborate on this?

yes it does because now it's working that much harder to drive the heater when you're plowing down the Hendai when its -30 in the winter :P

joking aside I'd be interested to know if this is correct or not as well.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:23 AM
Pro

any light weight pulley i.e. unorthodox racing, will have a huge impact on your cars performance. A positive one.

Shedding a pound off of the crank is the equivalent of stripping 15 pounds off your car some where else...I don't remember what the UR crank pulley weighs but I';m sure you can do the math.

Its not a harmful mod, however it'll probably kill your gas mileage as you won't be able to keep you foot off the gas pedal.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
why not?
because many people want a mod that makes noise- or can be seen.
others prefer ~stealth~

As an example of weight: the gen2 stock pulley is 8 pounds!!
the UR pulley is 1.8 pounds
do the math on how fast that gets the revs up, and you will see what fun it is to have.
Ziners who have installed one said- why did I wait to do this!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I installed an under drive pulley from Unorthodox Racing on my 2002 Altima SE. The dyno'd difference was 6.5 HP and 3 lb/ft of torque as I recall. It was only very slightly noticeable in first and second gear and I emphasize slightly.

Now the negatives. They tend to cause your belt to squeak, though this may not be a problem with the TL since it uses a tensioner. The real concern is if the stock pulley serves as a harmonic balancer, you DO NOT want to install a UDP. Do your research here and more than just a casual scan of the web. Also, I think the crank bolt on the TL requires 180 lb/ft when tightening it. This means removal and re-install is going to be a bit--. My Altima was 140 lb/ft and that was a bit of a bear.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Jokerman

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
I installed an under drive pulley from Unorthodox Racing on my 2002 Altima SE. The dyno'd difference was 6.5 HP and 3 lb/ft of torque as I recall. It was only very slightly noticeable in first and second gear and I emphasize slightly.

Now the negatives. They tend to cause your belt to squeak, though this may not be a problem with the TL since it uses a tensioner. The real concern is if the stock pulley serves as a harmonic balancer, you DO NOT want to install a UDP. Do your research here and more than just a casual scan of the web. Also, I think the crank bolt on the TL requires 180 lb/ft when tightening it. This means removal and re-install is going to be a bit--. My Altima was 140 lb/ft and that was a bit of a bear.
Just for clarification, the TL does use a belt tensioner, i know for a fact because i just had mine replaced. The harmonic balancer part has been beaten up numerous times here. Our pully does not act as a harmonic balancer, our engines are internally balanced (there one more time), this was told to me personally by an Acura Tech one night in conversation. You are right though about the 180 lb/ft for torque and this does cause a bit of hassel when and if you do it yourself. There are numerous threads on this site that explain how to change out the pully by yourself if you want to do it.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
3G Stock pulley = ~8 lbs
UR Pulley = ~1.5 lbs. (Tom says 1.8, so I'll just round it off a bit).

~ 6 - 6.5 pounds gained.

All I've read is that our crank pulley is NOT a harmonic balancer.

I've wondered though if it acts as a harmonic damper - this is a very different thing. A damper would absorb unwanted engine vibration that is transmitted through the crank shaft. *If* our pulley is harmonic damper, those unwanted vibrations would have to be absorbed by the engine which *could* lead to additional wear.

Realistically, I don't see this as a problem for a daily driver. A race car/track car, maybe, but not a run-of-the-mill 4-door sedan.

Get a new Gates Belt to minimize the liklihood of belt squeal.

If the car is pretty well modded, it's probably got a pulley. Remember: I/H/E are first order WHP mods, then come the misc goodies - like a pulley.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bearcat94

Realistically, I don't see this as a problem for a daily driver. A race car/track car, maybe, but not a run-of-the-mill 4-door sedan.

care to explain why? is this in terms of a dedicated track car? i'm going to be taking th TL to the track a few times, and your statement makes no sense as to why it might be bad.

If the car is pretty well modded, it's probably got a pulley. Remember: I/H/E are first order WHP mods, then come the misc goodies - like a pulley.

GL finding a header for our car :P i've heard some things that some are in progress, but it won't happen anytime soon
questions / statements in bold
Old 11-29-2008, 10:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by slip
questions / statements in bold

I mean a car that is run at high revs on a prolonged basis, repeatedly over an extended period of time - like a dedicated track car. Seems to me that if a some unwanted vibration exists it will wear on the engine more in extreme use than in "normal" use.

I don't think an occasional track event or occasional high RPM will matter in the long run. My *hypothosis* is that a small/normal amount of undamped vibration (*if* it exists; and I don't know whether it does or not) wouldn't show up as damage for a very long time, if ever.

I understand about headers. Perhaps you've heard of the Pre-Cat deletes and J-Pipe options? In our case these are the "substitute" mods for actual headers.

My point was the general mantra for more HP is I/H/E mods first.

Last edited by Bearcat94; 11-29-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

3G Stock pulley = ~8 lbs
UR Pulley = ~1.5 lbs. (Tom says 1.8, so I'll just round it off a bit).

~ 6 - 6.5 pounds gained.

All I've read is that our crank pulley is NOT a harmonic balancer.

I've wondered though if it acts as a harmonic damper - this is a very different thing. A damper would absorb unwanted engine vibration that is transmitted through the crank shaft. *If* our pulley is harmonic damper, those unwanted vibrations would have to be absorbed by the engine which *could* lead to additional wear.

This is a valid concern. The Altima I had, had a damper.. I am certain. Harmonic dampers are almost always identified by a thin piece of non-metallic material sandwiched between the pulley section and the base. Harmonic balancers, on the other hand, serve a different purpose in life.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jokerman826
Just for clarification, the TL does use a belt tensioner, i know for a fact because i just had mine replaced. The harmonic balancer part has been beaten up numerous times here. Our pully does not act as a harmonic balancer, our engines are internally balanced (there one more time), this was told to me personally by an Acura Tech one night in conversation. You are right though about the 180 lb/ft for torque and this does cause a bit of hassel when and if you do it yourself. There are numerous threads on this site that explain how to change out the pully by yourself if you want to do it.
Yes, I know that the TL uses a tensioner, which I pointed out. As for removing and installing a pulley, I use a breaker bar on my ratchet handle and someone in the car to hold the brakes. Some people with automatics hit the starter real quick but damned if I'd do that. My Altima had a manual, as does my TL, so slipping it into 4th gear when doing this is the way to go.

Lastly, make sure you use quality tools (as in ratchets and sockets) because you don't want to break a socket or ratchet connection when exerting that kind of force. Could be very bad on the hands.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

I mean a car that is run at high revs on a prolonged basis, repeatedly over an extended period of time - like a dedicated track car. Seems to me that if a some unwanted vibration exists it will wear on the engine more in extreme use than in "normal" use.

I don't think an occasional track event or occasional high RPM will matter in the long run. My *hypothosis* is that a small/normal amount of undamped vibration (*if* it exists; and I don't know whether it does or not) wouldn't show up as damage for a very long time, if ever.

I understand about headers. Perhaps you've heard of the Pre-Cat deletes and J-Pipe options? In our case these are the "substitute" mods for actual headers.

My point was the general mantra for more HP is I/H/E mods first.
Of course, I'm sure everyone knows you cannot install headers on the 3G TL. It has no exhaust manifold. So low restriction cats and freeing up the rest of the exhaust system is about the best you can do there. A set of hi-flow cats and replacing the J-pipe would be the best place to start since the stock exhaust is not all that bad.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Has anyone tried the Good Year GatorBack Belt with the Underdrive pully? I though the Gatorback belt was one of the best belts to get. I never heard of a Gates Belt.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Gates brand belts have been around forever and MUST be used with the UR pulley!
It has a different edge shape that matches the shape of the new pulley- got nothing to do with the tensioner- its about how the belt fits in the pulley groove and why they make noise

As for damage to the engine--not a problem. CL owners have been on this mod for years, and its popular with Gen2 TL crowd as well

On weight: I stated the shipping weight with box- to be safe in what I claimed as weight.
iirc its 1.6 lbs for the pulley itself

On removal:- kragen/partsamerica sells a $20 tool (order online) that holds the stock pulley still- so you can easily remove the main bolt. Otherwise its a strong breaker bar against the ground and hit the starter a few short taps- it works and doesnt hurt anything
To install: there is an access plate to the flywheel- and just like ANY automatic I have ever seen, jam a prybar into the teeth and the engine wont turn!
If no 200 lbs torque wrench in the toolbox at home, there are directions to get torque to 60 or 80 iirc, and then x degrees of rotation past that point. Its easy- with the proper tools
A shop that knows the job can do it in 20 minutes with ease.
Most will charge 30-45 minutes for the whole job- well worth it if you dont own the right tools and have a strong friend willing to work under the car.

Our sponsoring vendor Excelerate has the UR brand pulley and probably the right belt too
Give him a call or PM for azine price
Old 11-29-2008, 12:19 PM
My TL can do this, too!

Did UR make a new pulley design? I have a stock diameter UR pulley. I took it into the grocery store one day and weighed it on the potato scale. It weighed 600g (1.3 lb).

The grocer gave me a WTF look. ha ha...
Old 11-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
You went to a grocery store to weigh your pulley?

Nice .

Pulley ftw!
Old 11-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I must have this pulley.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:28 PM
AZ Community Team

For the record: I've got the Stock Sized UR Pulley installed.

I am not trying to scare anyone off this mod; I just think *every* mod has potential consequences and you should weigh Risk v Reward. I decided the risk was small compared to the reward.

Pulley is a great mod - car revs faster; got to go easier on the throttle or break traction. DIY was easy - Pulley tool, 4' breaker bar, muscle: voila, fini.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Team Owner

they were making a stock size lightweight, and an underdrive pulley
There may be error between writers and the scale at the store
If you used the scale at the register- thats accurate,
but the ones in veggie aisle is just for close enough~
I heard they (UR) were not going to make the stock size anymore- just underdrive
which is fine as long as you keep the stereo below 600 amps
Check with Excelerate on that info- he is the man, and his shop is fairly close to URs
Old 11-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a TL and a CL with a combined mileage of 370,000 miles, yes you read that right. Of that, 270,000 miles has been with a UR crank pulley on both cars. No harmful effects what so ever. Both motors run perfectly.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:50 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Gates brand belts have been around forever and MUST be used with the UR pulley!
It has a different edge shape that matches the shape of the new pulley- got nothing to do with the tensioner- its about how the belt fits in the pulley groove and why they make noise

As for damage to the engine--not a problem. CL owners have been on this mod for years, and its popular with Gen2 TL crowd as well

On weight: I stated the shipping weight with box- to be safe in what I claimed as weight.
iirc its 1.6 lbs for the pulley itself

On removal:- kragen/partsamerica sells a $20 tool (order online) that holds the stock pulley still- so you can easily remove the main bolt. Otherwise its a strong breaker bar against the ground and hit the starter a few short taps- it works and doesnt hurt anything
To install: there is an access plate to the flywheel- and just like ANY automatic I have ever seen, jam a prybar into the teeth and the engine wont turn!
If no 200 lbs torque wrench in the toolbox at home, there are directions to get torque to 60 or 80 iirc, and then x degrees of rotation past that point. Its easy- with the proper tools
A shop that knows the job can do it in 20 minutes with ease.
Most will charge 30-45 minutes for the whole job- well worth it if you dont own the right tools and have a strong friend willing to work under the car.

Our sponsoring vendor Excelerate has the UR brand pulley and probably the right belt too
Give him a call or PM for azine price
Incorrect. I used the gates belt when I was in a pinch and couldnt get a gatorback belt that matched the comptech kit...the gates suprisingly squeeled VERY badly with the supercharger and slipped badly as well. I also note....the Comptech Supercharger kit comes with the gatorback belt for a reason.....it grips and is quiet. (even says...the quiet one on the box sleeve and it is) Highly recommend the goodyear gatorback belt when running the supercharger.....its very very quiet and does not tend to slip under WOT accelleration.

I guess what I am saying is....it depends on if you are NA or supercharged.

Last edited by MichaelBenz; 11-30-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Team Owner

ok you got me on that one- we were discussing a normal TL and for them- and you can verify this with the company or with Josh/Excelerate
Want no noise?- run the GATES belt

S/C cars of course will run whatever fits the S/C pulley on their car

For the normal car what I stated is correct info direct from maker and vendor
I dont make this stuff up people!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:53 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
ok you got me on that one- we were discussing a normal TL and for them- and you can verify this with the company or with Josh/Excelerate
Want no noise?- run the GATES belt

S/C cars of course will run whatever fits the S/C pulley on their car

For the normal car what I stated is correct info direct from maker and vendor
I dont make this stuff up people!
I know...I just wanted to point out that if you run a gates belt with the supercharger...it WILL make noise and slip as well. For NA applications....the gates belt works fine. Used it myself. Thats why I went back to it when I tossed a belt and found out...WOW...that wasnt the way to go on supercharged applications....this thing makes all kinds of noise on supercharged apps.

Gates (or napa) on NA (napa's house brand is a gates belt last time I got one)

Goodyear Gatorback on Supercharged
Old 11-30-2008, 09:56 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Lazer187
Has anyone tried the Good Year GatorBack Belt with the Underdrive pully? I though the Gatorback belt was one of the best belts to get. I never heard of a Gates Belt.
Gates belts have been out for many decades. Long before Goodyear Gatorback even was thought of.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Man of God.....

Cool

I bought the Pulley tool when I did this mod. I didn't even use it. The first person that pm's me gets it for what I paid. Never been used.
PS: I love this mod!
Old 11-30-2008, 05:38 PM
My TL can do this, too!

This pulley I weighed at the grocery store was done on a mechanical spring scale. It was zeroed out before I placed the pulley on to weigh it. I'm sure one could inquire the UR company and just ask them for their specs...

I weighed my stock pulley the other day on another store's digital grocery scale. That thing was 7.89 lb!
Old 11-30-2008, 08:31 PM
practicing nihilist

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
This is a valid concern. The Altima I had, had a damper.. I am certain. Harmonic dampers are almost always identified by a thin piece of non-metallic material sandwiched between the pulley section and the base. Harmonic balancers, on the other hand, serve a different purpose in life.
SouthernBoy, our stock crank does have the elastomeric insert (post #3), but I think the realiability of past gen's speaks favorably for this mod https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...y+crank+damper
Old 12-01-2008, 05:48 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Damn! Can't wait to get my pulley!!!!! Sounds like a good investment for a first mod
Old 12-01-2008, 09:22 AM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sigh... many of these issues have been address numerous times before!

I have the underdrive pulley installed. No complaints.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:27 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by 05TL*6-SPEED*
Damn! Can't wait to get my pulley!!!!! Sounds like a good investment for a first mod

Alex, I *just* sold my Pulley Tool. Between me, Eric, mmade22, chill_dog, TrevorT, etal, we could've DIY'd yours in no time.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Alex, I *just* sold my Pulley Tool. Between me, Eric, mmade22, chill_dog, TrevorT, etal, we could've DIY'd yours in no time.
Oh man that would have been awesome!! Good to know I got guys around to help out! I'm sure I'll be asking more questions about mods so don't worry about the Pulley Tool
Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Please search on this topic. The stock pulley is not a harmonic balancer. The stock pulley has a rubber ring (elastomer) to reduce noise in the engine bay. It does not have the ability to balance out vibrations from the engine, which is why the engine is internally balanced.

The stock pulley is just under 8 lbs and the UR underdrive pulley is 15 ounces. The stock diameter UR pulley is 1 lb.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 AM
I'm lost..

Just bought the pulley & belt and had it installed. takes a few days for it to really kick in, but I'm already noticing better acceleration and im on day 2
Old 12-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by ray-ban
Just bought the pulley & belt and had it installed. takes a few days for it to really kick in, but I'm already noticing better acceleration and im on day 2
People need to stop with this foolish fable. It's an entirely physical modification; there is no "re-learning" of the ECU taking place over several days.

Explain what the ECU is going to alter over a few days time to increase the car's output......lol.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:46 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Hey Josh, will the car throw a code? How about if you do the "Blip start" method of removal......the car will be like WTF??? Because you disabled the ignition and it will throw a code right?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Hey Josh, will the car throw a code? How about if you do the "Blip start" method of removal......the car will be like WTF??? Because you disabled the ignition and it will throw a code right?
The pulley will not cause a CEL unless you broke something installing it.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:45 PM
practicing nihilist

Originally Posted by anx1300c
People need to stop with this foolish fable. It's an entirely physical modification; there is no "re-learning" of the ECU taking place over several days.

Explain what the ECU is going to alter over a few days time to increase the car's output......lol.
I don't know, man. A lot of people say they really feel the car wake up a couple days after install. I agree that it should be an instantaneous mod...just shedding weight.

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulley's