takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Tutor me on brakes

Trying to shorten the post...

RECAP:
72,000 miles: Powerslot slotted rotors + HAWK HPS pads all the way around
118,000 miles: New HAWK HPS pads up front
152,000 miles: New RB ET500 pads in the rear and new caliper as it seized on me

I am coming up at 168,000 miles and planning on getting new brakes, all the way around....recently I have started getting the "stop-n-go" feeling from the brakes....also started to feel some brake fading, seems like the car just doesnt want to stop....I checked the fluid, and its fine....I partially blame my shitty winter tires, but the brakes are getting old

PRIORITY:
Dont care too much for brake dust, would like the braking to be on point...Since am going to weight loss as well, if I can loose some weight in the process, I would be a happy camper....

New help with coming to a conclusion. Remeber I have a Base 5AT and hence a small front caliper

Options are:

1> RB 2 piece rotors with ET500 pads: Tim has nothing but good things to say about these....he lost 12lbs from the front rotors and says these stop on a dime....the only problem here is the cost....The calipers will be the stock 5AT calipers

2> Brakemotive kit: Done in $200...same weight as OEM and from what I hear they are pretty decent....

3> Legend 2 pot calipers: I have heard they will fit and also heard that they will mess up the brake bias....is that right?

4> 6MT/Type S Calipers or RL BBK: Any pros/cons....I know this will be adding more weight, will it be worth it?

5> XLR8 BBK: Again this will be adding more weight and it is expensive...worth the $$$ ? IHC if I remember right, arent you running a BBK from XLR8?

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-236893.aspx

Any help is appreciated
Old 01-28-2013, 01:16 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
go all out and go for the two piece.

Dont know what "stop and go" feels like from brakes.
and brake fade is only induced after a few repeated stops, which a larger rotor/caliper will take care of.
The following users liked this post:
swoosh (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 351 Posts
Go big or go home! I just swapped out my brake rotors and pads and recently found out my rear driver side caliper is seized. I wish I would have spent some more money and got bigger brakes up front but o well. idk if you have aftermarket rims or not but u may wanna make sure that they will clear with new setup u pick.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I'd say either option 4 or 5...if you go with 5 you might have to change wheels, so do your research before you go with a BBK
Old 01-28-2013, 02:36 PM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
I had the Brakemotive's on my last vehicle, no issues with them and no dust. As far as the cheap options go it's the best one. I'd like to do a BBK but I really don't have any issues with the stock stuff.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:49 PM

weight is your enemy!!!!
go for the two piece
Old 01-28-2013, 02:53 PM
The Track Terror

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
I'm biased, but my stock rotors/calipers with Carbotech XP10/8 and ATE Super Blue brake fluid is perfect for the street and great on the track (except for the fact that they cannot get rid of heat worth poop as seen in my HPDE thread)...

Butt (as Justin would say) even with this setup I do not have *any* fade (even on the track)...as Justin said, a larger rotor/caliper setup *may* help with fade, but the proper pad/fluid setup is much more important when it comes to fade...and make sure there are no leaks in the system or any air in there, that will cause fade also...

Cliff notes: save the money, stay with stock hardware, just change pads and fluid ($180 for fronts $160 for rears if you want Carbos, $15 for fluid) and check for leaks...and brake like a champ! And get better tires......tires make a *huge* difference too....
The following 3 users liked this post by the fenda rolla:
justnspace (01-28-2013), pohljm (01-28-2013), swoosh (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace
go all out and go for the two piece.

Dont know what "stop and go" feels like from brakes.
and brake fade is only induced after a few repeated stops, which a larger rotor/caliper will take care of.
You are like the lead detective...always first on the crime scene

I am really considering the 2 piece rotors...now to explain the wife that i need front rotors worth $700

Originally Posted by zachlone
Go big or go home! I just swapped out my brake rotors and pads and recently found out my rear driver side caliper is seized. I wish I would have spent some more money and got bigger brakes up front but o well. idk if you have aftermarket rims or not but u may wanna make sure that they will clear with new setup u pick.
Originally Posted by greekguy000
I'd say either option 4 or 5...if you go with 5 you might have to change wheels, so do your research before you go with a BBK
zach/greekguy I understand what you guys are trying to say....my car weight right under 3000lbs (2990 something)....I want some setup which will help me reduce a little more weight (rolling mass for rotors)....but upgrading to a bigger rotor, I will be increasing the rolling mass....

what I would like to know is, if that is a worthwhile sacrifice

my stock rims will clear and my aftermarket rims will clear as well....my rims might clear too

Originally Posted by 350
I had the Brakemotive's on my last vehicle, no issues with them and no dust. As far as the cheap options go it's the best one. I'd like to do a BBK but I really don't have any issues with the stock stuff.
As i said, I really dont care about dust....how was the performance on those? how long did they last? any brake fading?

weight is your enemy!!!!
go for the two piece
i agree with you bud....12 lbs off the front is a lot....and to that, rolling mass....

i need a sponsor
Old 01-28-2013, 03:01 PM

what will benefit you the most; is the light weight rotors from the two piece.
then you grab some excellent pads and enjoy your excellent braking, like peter is!
the fenda rolla (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by the fenda rolla
I'm biased, but my stock rotors/calipers with Carbotech XP10/8 and ATE Super Blue brake fluid is perfect for the street and great on the track (except for the fact that they cannot get rid of heat worth poop as seen in my HPDE thread)...

Butt (as Justin would say) even with this setup I do not have *any* fade (even on the track)...as Justin said, a larger rotor/caliper setup *may* help with fade, but the proper pad/fluid setup is much more important when it comes to fade...and make sure there are no leaks in the system or any air in there, that will cause fade also...

Cliff notes: save the money, stay with stock hardware, just change pads and fluid ($180 for fronts $160 for rears if you want Carbos, $15 for fluid) and check for leaks...and brake like a champ! And get better tires......tires make a *huge* difference too....
Yeah my tires are almost done...I need to change em out for next winter...the braking was perfect on the summer tires....

also on summer tires, car was easier to stop, no fading....the only thing why I am thinking the brakes are on their way out is the stop and go feel and some squeaking/squealing coming from the brakes....

I already have ET500 pads (new set sitting for the front and the rears are only 15K miles 'new'), so I might go through this set and then look into the carbotechs....also I will upgrade to ATE super blue BF....I am currently running Valvoline Dot 3 and 4...no air in the system and no leaks....pedal feel is nice and firm....

I think your post (and Justin's) has almost convinced me to just upgrade the fluid, keep the rear rotors as is, get the front 2 piece rotors and use ET500 on em....

what will benefit you the most; is the light weight rotors from the two piece.
then you grab some excellent pads and enjoy your excellent braking, like peter is!

Tim really liked to ET500 and convinced me to buy them....

Do you know the rotor/pads specs (thickness)....I might measure it all around and see what all I need to replace....
the fenda rolla (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
If you're willing to spend the money on 2 piece rotors I'd highly consider upgrading to our XLR8/STOPTECH BBK.

The stiff 2-piece, fully-forged calipers have designated piston sizes specific to each application and provide a firmer, more responsive brake pedal that provides better brake pedal modulation.

The larger 1-piece rotors provide greater heat capacity and reduced brake fade. Also assisting in fade resistance and higher performance are the StopTech® Street Performance Pads® which have a high maximum operating temperature, and high bite for responsive brakes that can be driven hard.

IHC can give you feedback on the kit. He has had nothing but great things to say.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM

^^^ Josh, let me send you a PM and lets see what we can work out....
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I bleed my brakes once a year to prevent the calipers from seizing. The TLs have a drum-type e-brake, but my Accord has the built-in ratcheting e-brake mechanism that seizes if water stays in the caliper for too long.

A lot of people don't know that water from the atmosphere gets into the braking system from the caliper at each wheel. I don't completely flush the system, I use less than one Honda brake fluid container for the whole process. I don't know how well the Honda fluid will hold up under consistent aggressive driving, so you'll have to find something better.

Also, I like to completely clean and re-lube the slide pins every 2yrs, because it's important to keep everything operating smoothly.

Last edited by gwiffer; 01-28-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Looking at your mileage and car, you're better off #2 choice. It'll last you 200,000+ miles for sure. If you track your car, XLR8's choice is the #1 choice. Again, depending on your engine's health.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 AM
2006 6spd

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
I have brake motive d&s I'm happy paid $145 shipped for all rotors & ceramic pads soon cheap its almost scary... quality is great for me (I don't do any really extreme breaking though) I just think you should pay a little more only because you kinda went all out on other things ...
Old 01-29-2013, 10:14 AM

but guise!

option 2 wont solve his brake fade nor will it improve braking.

the XLR8 BBK/Stoptech kit will solve the fade and will improve braking!

the 2 piece will lighten all 4 corners, improves braking and cornering and acceleration!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by gwiffer
I bleed my brakes once a year to prevent the calipers from seizing. The TLs have a drum-type e-brake, but my Accord has the built-in ratcheting e-brake mechanism that seizes if water stays in the caliper for too long.

A lot of people don't know that water from the atmosphere gets into the braking system from the caliper at each wheel. I don't completely flush the system, I use less than one Honda brake fluid container for the whole process. I don't know how well the Honda fluid will hold up under consistent aggressive driving, so you'll have to find something better.

Also, I like to completely clean and re-lube the slide pins every 2yrs, because it's important to keep everything operating smoothly.
gwiffer....I would like to do that

I usually bleed the brakes every 30K miles which comes to about 1 year and 6 months....I might just start to do all the servicing per months as compared to per miles....

Originally Posted by bouncer07
Looking at your mileage and car, you're better off #2 choice. It'll last you 200,000+ miles for sure. If you track your car, XLR8's choice is the #1 choice. Again, depending on your engine's health.

has the BM kit lasted 200K miles for anyone??? I was very very happy when my Powerslot lasted (almost) 100K miles....I was <insert Russell peters>jump with joy</russell peters>

the pads/rotors lasting depends on 2 things....amount of highway driving and decency in city driving....is you drive 90-100% highway, the pads/rotors will last you more than 200K but if you do a lot of stop and go city driving and dont know what coasting is, then i doubt your brakes will even last 20K miles....

the engine health, how does that factor in here? I think my engine is purring great and should last me as long as I take good care of her....Recently I have been driving a tad bit more aggressively....I do not plan on making this car my track car, but it will be my fun car....

Originally Posted by TL Luver
I have brake motive d&s I'm happy paid $145 shipped for all rotors & ceramic pads soon cheap its almost scary... quality is great for me (I don't do any really extreme breaking though) I just think you should pay a little more only because you kinda went all out on other things ...
haha...yeah I would like to have cool calipers

I think am pretty set on just the RB 2 piece rotors with ET500 pads....I think the rear rotors are still doing good, I might just swap the fronts and put ET500 pads which are sitting in the basement
Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 AM

but guise!

option 2 wont solve his brake fade nor will it improve braking.

the XLR8 BBK/Stoptech kit will solve the fade and will improve braking!

the 2 piece will lighten all 4 corners, improves braking and cornering and acceleration!
Justin, do you think the 2 piece will help with any brake fade?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
gwiffer....I would like to do that

I usually bleed the brakes every 30K miles which comes to about 1 year and 6 months....I might just start to do all the servicing per months as compared to per miles....

has the BM kit lasted 200K miles for anyone??? I was very very happy when my Powerslot lasted (almost) 100K miles....I was <insert Russell peters>jump with joy</russell peters>

the pads/rotors lasting depends on 2 things....amount of highway driving and decency in city driving....is you drive 90-100% highway, the pads/rotors will last you more than 200K but if you do a lot of stop and go city driving and dont know what coasting is, then i doubt your brakes will even last 20K miles....

the engine health, how does that factor in here? I think my engine is purring great and should last me as long as I take good care of her....Recently I have been driving a tad bit more aggressively....I do not plan on making this car my track car, but it will be my fun car....

haha...yeah I would like to have cool calipers

I think am pretty set on just the RB 2 piece rotors with ET500 pads....I think the rear rotors are still doing good, I might just swap the fronts and put ET500 pads which are sitting in the basement
Lol, oops, 200K is with your orginal mileage, Id expect it to last the same lifespan as Powerslot. Still, China made products isn't that great just yet...

Brake fade should be eliminated with oversize discs that provides exceptional heat. Had BBK on my previous car that shows good stopping power. This was 500whp of FWD that needs that stopping power.
swoosh (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 12:06 PM

^^^ aah...now the post makes a lot more sense....

yeah I have heard the oversized disc will eliminate brake fade but as I said, I would hate to buy lightweight wheels and add rotating mass which will kinda negate the full effect LOL....

Let me read little bit more if the 2 piece reduces brake fade
Old 01-29-2013, 12:29 PM
The Track Terror

From the StopTech website:

StopTech's patented AeroRotors® are 2-piece replacement rotors featuring a billet aluminum AeroHat® and AeroRotor® friction ring. These rotors feature a patented AeroVane® optimal cooling vane design to improve rotor airflow, cooling and heat capacity. This improved directional design minimizes turbulence and flows up to 61% more air than any rotor tested. Better airflow means better cooling and less fade.
The 2-piece design of the StopTech® AeroRotors® allows for independent expansion of the rotor and hat without coning. Additionally, AeroRotor® assemblies are up to 8 pounds lighter than stock rotors and are available either drilled or slotted. An optional anti-corrosion gold zinc coating benefits customers who live in cold climates, where snow and road salt are commonly encountered. Zinc coating also benefits customers who prefer no visible surface rust on the vanes and outer circumference of rotors.

So, they dissipate more heat and weigh much less...like Justin says, 2-piece all the way...if you can afford it...
The following 2 users liked this post by the fenda rolla:
justnspace (01-29-2013), swoosh (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 PM

Anil, I wouldnt expect anything less than performance parts on your car.

BECAUSE RACE CAR
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
swoosh (01-29-2013), the fenda rolla (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 12:44 PM

you a helluva salesman dude LOL....

Thanks Peter/Justin and others on the thread....

I am leaning towards the RB 2 piece rotors...but damn $655 for the front 2 rotors from Amazon (free shipping courtesy Prime )....i gotta do a lotta dishes at home for that shizz...

Justin, and what website has the rotors/pads spec for our cars?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:06 PM
KingKong_Dav

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
swoosh i didnt read too much of the post BUT if you get carbonmetallic pads you wont be dissappointed.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by swoosh
Justin, and what website has the rotors/pads spec for our cars?
ask peter because he has auto.
i haz 6mt.
different shizz.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:21 PM

found it....will post it here if anyone needs it...

I believe you had given me the link on gtalk couple months back:

http://www.hondanews.com/channels/29...9-9c004c34c360
justnspace (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 01:22 PM

^ohh, that website. LOL
Old 01-29-2013, 01:26 PM

LOL yeah !!! also wanted to know "when to replace" as in, whats the minimum thickness....wanted to milk the most out of this set that I have on also wanted to cross 100K miles on the rotors (4K more )
Old 02-01-2013, 05:43 PM
TLicious Type S

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts
Anil, I'm just hanging out back here in your slipstream, you lightweight TL god! Thanks much for helping me out.
swoosh (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 08:20 PM

^^^ hahaa....The real lightweight God's are Inaccurate, Villo, Peter...I am hanging in their slipstream

Not a problem bud....see you over the weekend
the fenda rolla (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 09:21 PM
The Track Terror

^^^ hahaha thanks Anil! Although I can still afford to lose a few...I haven't cut my doors yet!