Turbo Kit Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Kit Options

After seeing comptech close its doors on aftermarket part support, that pretty much killed all the forced induction options for the TLs...So we are looking at doing a turbo set up for the 04+ TLs. I saw what happened to the XRSX guy, and to be up front this would probably be available to the public the first part of 2008.

My question is this, how complete of a kit would you like to see? We can set up a complete bolt on kit with electronics, a kit with just hardware (turbo(s), manifold(s), piping, etc) and no electronics, or a complete kit from intake to the exhaust (which would include all piping from turbo to the muffler as well as intake side).
Old 03-16-2007, 03:11 AM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
careful there buddy
Old 03-16-2007, 03:23 AM
Pro

It all depends on gains/price- but I like the idea of complete bolt-on w/ engine management
Old 03-16-2007, 04:02 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hang on baby Jesus...cause its gonna get bumpy!
Old 03-16-2007, 08:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ I hope you can get this off the ground
Old 03-16-2007, 08:43 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by dan.....k
^ I hope you can get this off the ground
Cause he is about the fifth person stating they were going to build a system for our car...but they always end up mysteriously disappearing. Not knocking your idea....fully support it. Just hope you are still around to see it through!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Maybe I should build a turbo kit, too.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Real Estate Investor

still working out the design on ours. I also bought a s/c JUST IN CASE it wont work smoothly.

My tuner and fab guy was going to wire in the AEM EMS and start from scratch.

As far as the pics, I will take some as soon as the jigs for the mani are done.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:01 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
I just completed a custom single turbo setup for the J32A4. Any questions please feel free to ask.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Pro

Questions! WTF are you talking about? Where, how much, which turbo, what engine management????

Also, guys if he wants to try to piece together a marketable kit, Im all for it! I think we don't know were doing it, but we are already shooting him down subconciously, because of our experiences. I know we all wanna say 'dont be fukin with my emotions, boy'. But lets hold those and just give encouragement and keep our
Old 03-16-2007, 12:07 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Seriously though...Cary...I know its you man. Your username with the k series gives it all away. If you really want to complete this kit just get to work with it and don't ask any questions here on acurazine. When you're done, post your pictures and results and then collect feedback. It's its a reliable system it will sell. Thanks bud.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by k24em2
My question is this, how complete of a kit would you like to see? We can set up a complete bolt on kit with electronics, a kit with just hardware (turbo(s), manifold(s), piping, etc) and no electronics, or a complete kit from intake to the exhaust (which would include all piping from turbo to the muffler as well as intake side).
complete bolt on w/ electronics.

i am not gettin' my hopes up this time, though, seeing as how the 1st 3 attempts at this have gone down the drain.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Couldn't be happier!

may as well just post up your website and some promotional pieces

not a bad first post hahahahaha
Old 03-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Seriously though...Cary...I know its you man. Your username with the k series gives it all away. If you really want to complete this kit just get to work with it and don't ask any questions here on acurazine. When you're done, post your pictures and results and then collect feedback. It's its a reliable system it will sell. Thanks bud.

I'm not sure who cary is, so i'll leave that alone. I have designed and built a number of turbo systems in the past, so this not all that complicated.

FYI a complete bolt on kit would probably be in the neighborhood of $6500-7000.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:53 PM

I thought the same thing when I saw K24. I really hope that someone can get a kit built for the TL.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:56 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by k24em2
I'm not sure who cary is, so i'll leave that alone. I have designed and built a number of turbo systems in the past, so this not all that complicated.

FYI a complete bolt on kit would probably be in the neighborhood of $6500-7000.
You gotta pay to do it right...what can ya say? What other option is there? Buy a partial kit...then buy all the other stuff along with it...you are gonna be at the same place?
Old 03-16-2007, 01:58 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by dan.....k
I thought the same thing when I saw K24. I really hope that someone can get a kit built for the TL.
Not sure what that all means...basically we are dealing with a guy that is BS'ing us right off the bat? Is that the message I am getting here?
Old 03-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Racer

Many have tried discussions, polls, etc., about assembling a mass produced turbo kit for our TLs but until one is finished and shown to the members here on AZ, you will most likely get mixed signals. Everyone would rather see gains, dyno charts, pictures, etc., before they would consider buying a kit. I say, if you have the resources to do it, go for it regardless of what AZ members have to say. As for the package options, that might be better off til after people have seen the finished product. If it is not marketible, than you can at least boast about your boost. Good luck with the venture. I really do want to see a turbo kit option available for our TL's.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:21 PM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not for that price......no way.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:10 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
At that price alone, I've lost interest already.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Racer

If you think about it, tho, a S/C is going to cost you well over $4k and if the turbo kit actually works and it's a complete bolt-on (intake to exhaust), you're probably going to be forking over $6-$7k anyway for additional parts (intake, headers, exhaust, etc., etc., etc.), so the price isn't too unreasonable, considering the enormous gains

I do have to say, tho, that I agree with what you guys are saying... If you have the funds, make a kit and see what comes of it first and then come back to acurazine and let us know whats up because so far, there's a bunch of people who start off all excited about the idea, but then when they encounter all the issues you're bound to run into in the R&D phase or through trial and error, their efforts fizzle and die... the problem is, good ideas and intentions don't actually make your car faster if you can't turn them into something plausible... like everyone said, I'm skeptical, but I'm still hoping someone comes up with something... Good luck!
Old 03-16-2007, 04:41 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Folks...you have to pay for reliable speed. Yes...a quality garrett, turbonetics or similar good turbo with all the odds and ends that have to go into the mix TO DO IT RIGHT is going to cost you that much. Can it be done cheaper....yes....with cheapo Chinese Ebay turbos and manifolds, ect and trust me...have seen it over and over....THEY WILL FAIL IF THEY USE CHEAP PARTS. There is a way to do it...and a way to do it correctly. Do it correctly the first time....cause otherwise...you are wasting your time and money and will eventually have spent MORE money that you would have to make it right...than you would have to do it right in the first place. Proper standalone engine management is NOT cheap...and good parts dont come free or cheap either. Go the cheapie route....pay the ultimate price eventually....go the correct route....yes...your front side expense will be high...but in the long run...it will be cheaper and more reliable.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For 7k I'd just trade in my TL + the 7k for something faster. I don't need all that anyways
Old 03-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Pro

I think the price is agreeable. I contacted three reputable turbo companies after comptech shut down and really did not get anywhere. Maybe a little nibble but not really anywhere.

So, I am interested if someone really has what it takes to pull it off.

having spent over 9000 on my latest supercharger system.. I think 6500 - 7000 sounds fairly reasonable for a bolt on turbo kit. Like MB said you get what you pay for.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:56 PM
Instructor

In my opinion, turning TL into turbo vehicle is a biggest freaking waste of MONEY even if complete kit is great. It is also a biggest freaking waste of TIME for the complete journey (finding parts/waiting assembly/numerous dyno tuning/track visits/finding issues and correct them/maintenance).

Yeah, it will be FUN at first and UNIQUE with BRAGGING RIGHTS.
Traction will be your enemy though as expected but with the right MONEY and parts it can be corrected, so add serious suspension to the list + DR + possible new/or custom front axles.

HOWEVER, one is clear that your RELIABILITY will go down to toilet along with ½ (if best) INVESTMENT return when TL parted out later or traded in. And that is assuming the engine (tuning) and car lived through the final point of sale down the road.

Again, it’s my opinion, but considering the above investment/time condition it makes sense to get 335i bimmer with FULL WARRANTY and FACTORY FORCED INDUCTION (twin-turbo) for the money spent on TL + turbo kit + suspension and the rest mentioned above. It dyno 280whp/280wtq right from the factory, then if still not enough then just add two mods - PROcede/Exhaust and get 355whp/405wtq and be done with it. The PROcede (computer) takes 10min to remove so warranty won’t be and issue when there is a need to show up for service at BMW. Yet, it will blow any turbo TL in both performance and handling while the rest is an optional taste.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:45 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by chirik
In my opinion, turning TL into turbo vehicle is a biggest freaking waste of MONEY even if complete kit is great. It is also a biggest freaking waste of TIME for the complete journey (finding parts/waiting assembly/numerous dyno tuning/track visits/finding issues and correct them/maintenance).

Traction will be your enemy though as expected but with the right MONEY and parts it can be corrected, so add serious suspension to the list + DR + possible new/or custom front axles.

HOWEVER, one is clear that your RELIABILITY will go down to toilet along with ½ (if best) INVESTMENT return when TL parted out later or traded in. And that is assuming the engine (tuning) and car lived through the final point of sale down the road.

Again, it’s my opinion, but considering the above investment/time condition it makes sense to get 335i bimmer with FULL WARRANTY and FACTORY FORCED INDUCTION (twin-turbo) for the money spent on TL + turbo kit + suspension and the rest mentioned above. It dyno 280whp/280wtq right from the factory, then if still not enough then just add two mods - PROcede/Exhaust and get 355whp/405wtq and be done with it. The PROcede (computer) takes 10min to remove so warranty won’t be and issue when there is a need to show up for service at BMW. Yet, it will blow any turbo TL in both performance and handling while the rest is an optional taste.
This is all correct. my 'fun' car is a 2001 VW GTI VR6 Turbo, and doing that was fun, but it killed the value of the car. It is also FWD, so first gear is pretty much useless, and i have had to upgrade way more than just the motor.

And to the people who are saying 6-7k is too much, that is CHEAP for a bolt on kit, with electronics, that actually runs. I only spend about that much, but I had LOTS of hook-ups from ATP Turbo and Garrett-and all the work was done by myself and 2 friends, so we had no labor costs.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Originally Posted by WaukeshaTL
This is all correct. my 'fun' car is a 2001 VW GTI VR6 Turbo, and doing that was fun, but it killed the value of the car. It is also FWD, so first gear is pretty much useless, and i have had to upgrade way more than just the motor.

And to the people who are saying 6-7k is too much, that is CHEAP for a bolt on kit, with electronics, that actually runs. I only spend about that much, but I had LOTS of hook-ups from ATP Turbo and Garrett-and all the work was done by myself and 2 friends, so we had no labor costs.
Hey did you get your TL from Acura of Brookfield? That's where I got mine... do you go to HWY at all or is that too faded out?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:43 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by fant0m_TL
Hey did you get your TL from Acura of Brookfield? That's where I got mine... do you go to HWY at all or is that too faded out?
Yes that is where I got mine.

I've been on HWY, not in the TL, but in the VW. I don't race it on the street at all though, so we stopped going there a couple years ago. We used to be the group that hung around Starbucks on hwy and greenfield-mostly VW's.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Import and Domestic owner

FYI, I paid 7,000 for my supercharger and installation on my 07 Mustang GT.
The gains were worth it for me. I dynoed stock 284whp and 295trq.
After the blower I dynoed 486whp and 463trq. Thats 202whp gain. IMO thats worth it to me.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:52 AM
10th Gear

That is a good price, but you must remember, aftermarket parts for most American cars are generally less expensive than for imports, due to the fact that they have been around much longer.

i dynoed 153whp/160wtq stock on my GTI, and 286whp/299wtq at 8psi after the upgrade.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:58 AM

You have to pay to play!
Old 03-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Originally Posted by WaukeshaTL
Yes that is where I got mine.

I've been on HWY, not in the TL, but in the VW. I don't race it on the street at all though, so we stopped going there a couple years ago. We used to be the group that hung around Starbucks on hwy and greenfield-mostly VW's.
Yeah, theres not much to do there anymoer... the police sit there waiting for cruisers. the new rule is if they see you going back and forth twice within three hours, youre getting pulled over.... so from starbucks by mayfair... to hales corners by Thats Amore, they can only see you going up once, and back once within a 3 hour period... and then if you break those rules, and they see you, your getting pulled over...
Old 03-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
If you really want to complete this kit just get to work with it and don't ask any questions here on acurazine. When you're done, post your pictures and results and then collect feedback. It's its a reliable system it will sell.
You know, it's funny, but I was thinking about this thread this past weekend...and this was exactly what I was thinking about it.

Starting a thread like this is like starting one where you say you have new wheels but don't have any pics...it's a complete waste of time. A quick search will show you there's interest. "Build it and they will come."
Old 03-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Banned

what about rear mounted turbo for the TL just like the currency bmw m5 since there was no room in the engine bay they put it in the rear.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:27 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by chirik

Old 03-20-2007, 10:28 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by CedNBHTL
what about rear mounted turbo for the TL just like the currency bmw m5 since there was no room in the engine bay they put it in the rear.

Sweet setup.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:58 PM
I like to whistle in my

yeh...everyone was pretty much against a rear mounted kit (STS) as far as trying to get a kit made and who would purchase. I dont see too many except on Domestic...but that looks real clean and its on a BMW!
got any more pics?
video?
thread where the pic was taken from
Old 03-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Banned

Currency BMW M5 http://www.worldcarfans.com/tuners./...ncy-motor-cars
Old 03-20-2007, 04:30 PM
I like to whistle in my

link doesn't work
Old 03-20-2007, 04:44 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Meek32v6
yeh...everyone was pretty much against a rear mounted kit (STS) as far as trying to get a kit made and who would purchase. I dont see too many except on Domestic...but that looks real clean and its on a BMW!
got any more pics?
video?
thread where the pic was taken from
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...twin-turbo-m5/

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit Options