TL cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Mom why is there two?

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
TL cams

Hey I searched but to no avail. A friend of mine asked if there was cams available foe the TL besides having WEB CAM make some wasn't there a post on bisimoto or someone who came out with a couple of sets and retainers also I thought. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ethenol
Hey I searched but to no avail. A friend of mine asked if there was cams available foe the TL besides having WEB CAM make some wasn't there a post on bisimoto or someone who came out with a couple of sets and retainers also I thought. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
yes Bisi has some, from what i remember there was a longevity question brought up. Something about the hardaning of the metal, and the process wearing the cam out.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Mom why is there two?

Is there a link or something? Or just look up bisimoto
Old 11-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
bisimoto cam for j-series !!!!!!! (click here)
*3*GEN TL - Supertech Spring and Retainer Kit!!! (click here)
Old 11-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Mom why is there two?

Thanks guys. He said he ordered the leval 2 cams ill keep ya posted on what he thinks....
Old 11-10-2010, 08:37 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
dyno proof needed!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by TLdream
yes Bisi has some, from what i remember there was a longevity question brought up. Something about the hardaning of the metal, and the process wearing the cam out.
I wonder what process he uses. They definately have to be hardened after being ground. We lost about 100 GN engines during the "budget roller cam upgrade" due to hardening issues. I can't comment on this guy because I have no idea what process he uses but this can be a very real problem if not done or not done correctly.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Mom why is there two?

I have regrinds in my car personally and have had no problems for a couple of years. Mild grind with stock springs and retainers. Also Pee or whatever your name is you will never see a dyno chart from me. I dont give two shits about dyno numbers.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Team Owner

I have regrinds in my car personally and have had no problems for a couple of years. Mild grind with stock springs and retainers. Also Pee or whatever your name is you will never see a dyno chart from me. I dont give two shits about dyno numbers.
Do you have these installed in the TL or something else? I'm curious what your impressions are in a TL?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^do you enjoy your reground cam?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Mom why is there two?

IHC yes I have them in the TL. I was the guy who was talkin to you about the 275 on the stock wheel and the custom coilovers. I have had them going on the third season they are a very mild grind with a slightly aggresive v tec lobe. I am having a couple a new cams cut this winter these should be very bumpy.... we will see how the car acts with those. Still using stock tune with a fpr. So far she's a runner. We put down a 13.18 at 109 on the bfg forces. It is more of a track car, than straight line.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:33 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Awesome.
About how much did it run you to get it done?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Team Owner

IHC yes I have them in the TL. I was the guy who was talkin to you about the 275 on the stock wheel and the custom coilovers. I have had them going on the third season they are a very mild grind with a slightly aggresive v tec lobe. I am having a couple a new cams cut this winter these should be very bumpy.... we will see how the car acts with those. Still using stock tune with a fpr. So far she's a runner. We put down a 13.18 at 109 on the bfg forces. It is more of a track car, than straight line.
Wow! You're running more mph than most of the FI cars. Do you mind going over a brief list of your big mods? I'm just trying to figure out what kind of a difference the cams make. You have some weight reduction, right?

It's good to hear there are no issues with the cam reliability. I'm assuming they're on the big lobe most of the time lol.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Mom why is there two?

No prob....... List begins with, I started with a port and polish of the manifold and lower tubes I put them on a bench to see what they were doing went through one manifold trying to figure out the right size. Lower tube took my time on and got those done I could prob go further but did'nt want to buy a set of those, cus I didn't want my number to go down on the bench. All the crank and valve cover stuff has been deleted and small filters put on those all the engines inhales is air. Fluid dampener crank pulley. Cams, Full custom 3 in intake. Your gonna hate me but a 1" TB spacer with a 1/4 in manispacer.... think tunnel ram and if you do the math which I have done they make a tiny amount of power. I have a program that helps me build sheet metal intakes, that is how I came up with the widths of the spacers. Ported throttle body. I think that is all for the motor. Exhaust is... precat deletes and a stock j pipe I had a xlr8 and lost 2 tenths at the track so I went back to stock and went back to where I was. Full 2.75 in stainless with mandrel bends through a pro flow race single chamber. Then to 3 in with 2.5 in inserts for backpressure slip tubes if you follow with a 3" tip. The suspension you know about from a previous thread. It is a 2004 base 6 spd. With minimal weight reduction minus the spare tire and jack and junk and back seat other than that it has full interior with nav. OOOPPPs I have taken all the plastic stuff underneath the car out and the dust shields for the brakes. Thats it guys besides a good grind on the cams. We all have to think,,,, this motor has the compression, It just needs a little head work and some good ole' roller cam thinkin small block style....LOL old schoolers will get that one.

Last edited by ethenol; 11-11-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: I suck at typing
Old 11-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Team Owner

No prob....... List begins with, I started with a port and polish of the manifold and lower tubes I put them on a bench to see what they were doing went through one manifold trying to figured the right size out. lower tube took my time on and got those done I could prob go further but did'nt want to buy a set of those cus my numbers went down on the bench. All the crank and valve cover stuff has been deleted and a filter put on those all the engines inhales is air. Fluid dampener crank pulley. Cams, Full custom 3 in intake. Your gonna hate me but a 1" TB spacer with a 1/4 in manispacer.... think tunnel ram and if you do the math which I have done they make a tiny amount of power. I have a program that helps me build sheet metal intakes, that is how I came up with the widths of the spacers. Ported throttle body. I think that is all for the motor. Exhaust is... precat deletes and a stock j pipe I had a xlr8 and lost 2 tenths at the track so I went back to stock and went back to where I was. Full 2.75 in stainless with mandrel bends through a pro flow race single chamber. the to 3 in with 2.5 in inserts for backpressure slip tubes if you follow with a 3" tip. The suspension you know about from a previous thread. It is a 2004 base 6 spd. with minimal weight reduction minus the spare tire and jack and junk and back seat other than that it has full interior with nav. OOOPPPs I have taken all the plastic stuff underneath the car out and the dust shields for the brakes. Thats it guys besides a good grind on the cams. We all have to think. this motoe has the compression, It just needs a little head work and some good ole' roller cam thinkin small block style....LOL old schoolers will get that one
I'm truly impressed and I don't say that often around here. I'm impartial to brands of J-pipes but that is incredible info with before and after track times. It's SO nice to not have to guess. If the spacer does make more power which you say, I'll gladly admit I was wrong....still hate them though lol.

So it sounds like basic intake, exhaust, and cams will take you very far. I guess adding a little more cam really lets the intake and exhaust breathe. I honestly had no idea if the J series would respond to a cam but apparently it does.

The reason I'm interested is I'm getting ready to do the timing belt and valve adjustment. In fact, I was going to do the valve adjustment tomorrow and timing belt 6 weeks from now but I may hold off until I decide to get the cams or not. The additional labor to do the cams does not look to be that much more.

One last thing... Have you noticed any loss in low end? It's the 5at's low stall speed tha I'm worried about. I'm hoping since it's a vtec motor, low end will be mostly unaffected.

Thanks for all of the great info. It's very nice to talk to someone who has done this work. 109mph is absolutely awesome. That's around 350 crank hp at 3,400lbs. You picked up basically 100 crank hp from intake, exhaust, cams, and a little porting of the intake tract. I would be happy if the 5at would trap 105mph with the same mods. this would allow me to play with IS350s and such.

Sometimes I almost wish something would happen to force me to tear into this thing. I always think about it and then feel guilty.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Safety Car

ethenol,

Sorry, but I must ask........... Your TL is running gasoline and not ethenol, right?
Old 11-12-2010, 05:26 AM
Mom why is there two?

The low end seems fine no loss. I felt considerably more torque especially in the 1to 2nd. Yes if you are going to be in there doing all that you might as well be throwin those in there as well...lol No the car is on straight pump for now. My old cl is the one that ran on the stuff. I will convert this one over as well
Old 11-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi ethenol...I recently finished instaling my pre-cat deletes on a 08MT Type S putting down 290whp/262tq (I have never been to the track yet)....I have been doing lots of research regarding cams with Bisimoto...also I was considering the upgrade of the intake runners whoever I do not know if they do it fo the Type S i've seen it for the regular TL and 08 Accord...You are not using any ecu for fine tunning? Those are awesome numbers dude. Anyways just wanted to see what are your recommendations since I am heading this route. If i get to do the cam and runners, I think I would do a complete head work...Let me know what do you think
Old 11-12-2010, 11:20 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
109?!!! Holy sh!t. Do you know the specs of the stock cam? Also, would you be willing to share at least some specs of your custom cam?

And you said no tuning just a FPR? Wow....I am extremely impressed. More info, more info!!! I may switch to the stock Jpipe!
Old 11-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Mom why is there two?

Have alot of stuff goin on tonight and a huge write up for you guys It will have to wait till tomorrow. Pulled some stuff off of mitchell
Old 11-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Team Owner

Have alot of stuff goin on tonight and a huge write up for you guys It will have to wait till tomorrow. Pulled some stuff off of mitchell

Can't wait. These few mods would make the TL fun again and maybe make me hold off on the turbo a little longer.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sonnick

I may switch to the stock Jpipe!
well, I wouldn't give the credit to the stock jpipe.

It is the whole package that must work together in harmony with all of the other parts.

The stock jpipe is working better for ethenol because the stock jpipe is covering-up something out-of-harmony elsewhere in the overall package. My guess in that his overall package is looking for backpressure since he has a huge 2-3/4" exhaust.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
well, I wouldn't give the credit to the stock jpipe.

It is the whole package that must work together in harmony with all of the other parts.

The stock jpipe is working better for ethenol because the stock jpipe is covering-up something out-of-harmony elsewhere in the overall package. My guess in that his overall package is looking for backpressure since he has a huge 2-3/4" exhaust.
True. While you pretty much can't have too little backpressure on stock cams, it's possible with the additional overlap that some backpressure is needed with the large cams. Some of the intake charge may be blowing out of the exhaust during overlap. It kind of goes against the norm but it's possible.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,027 Likes on 1,518 Posts
Very interesting!

I would LOVE to do this for my Accord ... much better than going FI on a daily driver.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:14 PM
All motor

Hmm...maybe. My exhaust is bigger

I figured I may as well try it, should only take like 45 minutes to take off.

Ethenol, let us know tomorrow!!! Oh, do you have stock tires on it as well? Or did you run that time at the track with different size tires? I know smaller overall diameter wheel/tire combo makes a difference in gearing and acts like changing the FD.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:17 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 610 Likes on 514 Posts
^I believe he said earlier in this thread something about a 275 on the stock rims! Def want to hear more about that as well as the cams. Thanks for sharing ethenol!
Old 11-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Ive been thinking this would be my next major performance step with the car for a while now. I'm eagerly awaiting the writeup!
Old 11-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Mom why is there two?

Stock cams specs. this is the cam lobe height.

Intake primary, 35.041mm-1.4348in.
Intake. Mid, 36.445mm-1.4348 in.
Intake, secondary, 35.284mm-1.3891in.

Exhaust, 36.326mm-1.4302in.

These are the stock specks and I unfortunatly am not going to give up the secrets yet until I have the new set and see how those do. You never know I may be going back to that setup. I am just trying to push the stock ecu and stock setup, to see how far it will really go before tuning is needed. Tire size is a 275 40 17. Bfg G-Force and a luk clutch. I have all the mitchell specs for the TL I just cant figure out how to get it over to azine in one peice. Computers are not my specialty.

The plan for this winter and next year are serious weight reduction and some fine tuning of the suspension and the new cam setup. I might be having some head work dome no milling just taking the seat lip out and see if we can get better numbers on the bench.

I also will be going to to try the bigger TB on a trial basis. Also the A/C will be coming out I think that will be a great weight saving along with a better throttle responce not needing to spin that thing around for no reason. I have never used the damn thing anyways so what the hell I figure.

The main emphasis will be pushing the stock fuel and ecu to its limit to see where it is and taking the car itself to the limit with no major surgery being done the the body and suspension itself.

I am currently working on a sheet metal manifold but that is a year or so out still working on flow numbers and over all making it a easy bolt on thing for everybody . Wish me luck
Old 11-13-2010, 05:56 PM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
what was your 60ft and what track did u go when u went to when u ran 13.18 at 109 ??? nice work by the way
Old 11-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Mom why is there two?

The track is Michigan international speedway. aka Martin raceway. Martin Michigan. It was in the low 2's if I remember. It was in 09 when I ran the car. It was early spring. track was a little loose. It would prob hook better in warmer temp and I bet the trap would be a couple mph lower.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:09 PM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
nice espically for that 60ft!!
Old 11-14-2010, 08:22 PM
I got the Shifts

good job ethanol. no need for the name calling
Old 11-15-2010, 06:00 AM
Mom why is there two?

Sorry man wasnt tryin to be a dick but anytime anybody does anything around here.... Its dyno numbers or its bullshit. Not all of us can afford a dyno session. I have dance lessons that come before a dyno.... lol aka kids, take all your cash until they are 20 and out of your house.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:06 AM
Mom why is there two?

I have a video I just cant get it to this site
Old 11-15-2010, 06:48 AM
I got the Shifts

I was actually saying that the bisi cams need dyno. nothing on his site is dyno proven but the civic guys love him without explanation
Old 11-15-2010, 07:40 AM
I got the Shifts

did you increase lift and duration or just the flank?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:23 AM
2004 NBP TL 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Bisimoto in general has camshafts made to their specifications by Web Camshafts. I have been to their facility, met their crew and have extensive experience with their products on another Honda application. They have quality products. They are one of the few companies that truly tailor the camshaft to the vehicle application. Take their descriptions literally, when they say "race" they mean it.

I would simply determine whether I needed stronger valve springs and retainers or not. Also, if tuning equipment is needed to support, which seems to be a limited market for TL's. Even though we have factory programmable ECU's and wideband oxygen sensors, the tuning hardware is there. Just a matter of time before someone figures out how to access it and allow tuners to use it.

Last edited by HondaFan81; 11-15-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:37 PM
n3o
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Man, all this would be so much easier if we could just drop in a C32A LOL.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:26 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by n3o
Man, all this would be so much easier if we could just drop in a C32A LOL.
J>C Why would you want the C? IT would take a $15,000 science of speed stroker kit/build to get top the numbers on a lightley modded j35a8.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:52 AM
All motor

Originally Posted by TLdream
J>C Why would you want the C? IT would take a $15,000 science of speed stroker kit/build to get top the numbers on a lightley modded j35a8.
^^ He's talking about the C motor from the NSX.

Quick Reply: TL cams