TL 04 Dyno non S

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 03:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
you might want to throw turndown tip on the cutout outlet so you don't have the undercarriage lookin like a chimney...

here's a good one
http://shop.ebay.com:80/s.html?LH_Se...0.l1246&_rdc=1
Doesn't matter on the cutout since it's "temporary" but turndowns increase the noise inside of the car. Some people like that though.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Doesn't matter on the cutout since it's "temporary" but turndowns increase the noise inside of the car. Some people like that though.
the car doesn't make the slightest amount of smoke...none!!! so my undercarriage wont be looking like a chimney any time soon
Old 08-29-2009, 03:23 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Opel
the car doesn't make the slightest amount of smoke...none!!! so my undercarriage wont be looking like a chimney any time soon
dont be so sure, its not the smoke. my car is catless and i get carbon build up from time to time on my bumper, which im pretty sure that was what stillhere is talking about
Old 08-29-2009, 03:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by greco9885
dont be so sure, its not the smoke. my car is catless and i get carbon build up from time to time on my bumper, which im pretty sure that was what stillhere is talking about
carbon build up from time to time while you idle...i dont idle with an open dump....come onnnnn
ur buildup isn't happening at WOT, and neither will mine underneath
Old 08-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by greco9885
thank u for proving me wrong
No biggy.....I was surprise about those numbers as well.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Not for smoke, most guys purchase them (the 5.0 Mustang crowd especially) so no underbody components take too much exhaust heat. Run it open long enough and you'll eventually get some carbon as any gasoline engine will..
Old 08-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Not for smoke, most guys purchase them (the 5.0 Mustang crowd especially) so no underbody components take too much exhaust heat. Run it open long enough and you'll eventually get some carbon as any gasoline engine will..
yes, i understand, but its open temporarily when it is...when i really get on it
Old 09-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_W
I have to tell you, I havent done any exhaust work to my car, because other than the eshift procats or the Jpipe, I look at peoples posted dyno numbers and they arent really that much more for spending over $1000 in exhaust work. Just the AEM V1 CAI wrapped with a reflective sleeve, and UR underdrive pulley, my 04 auto TL put 227 horsepower to the wheels, that was on an 86 degree day with 50% humidity. My car runs strong and sounds good even with the stock exhaust. I might do a catback system with some borla mufflers, maybe the P2R spacer, and thats about it for the upggrades to mine. I'll do the sway bars as well. I'm open to suggestions for mufflers. I'm not going to remove anything from the exhaust though.

Wow, 227whp with only a CAI and pulley? Can you tell us what kind of dyno were you using (mustang, dynojet etc). That is a great number with minimal mods and not so perfect conditions. Most other dyno #'s posted by other users have steered me away from spending money any mods on this car....but 15-20whp with just a pulley & cai is tempting.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:30 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
For a non supercharged or turbocharged TL use 2.5" piping. You don't have to worry about too little back pressure with the stock pre-cats installed.

Don't weld the muffers in, have a slip fit and you can swap them out to get the best sound.
man am so glad I read this post....i know about exhaust, but not so much that I can tell about back pressure and stuff....

so i wanna get precats/jpipe/race pipe resonated/and custom 3" splitting into 2.5" exhaust....i dont wanna go turbo on my whip (so far LOL)

so u suggest instead of a 3" piping i should go with 2.5" ??? because i know more width = more free flow = more power (no i dont want a 5" downpipe )......i want it sound good....a lil louder 350z....but no rasp....so you say that 3" will have backpressure ???

so what do u suggest for the exhaust setup....IHC and Opel....chime in !!!
Old 09-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

[quote=swoosh;11277159]man am so glad I read this post....i know about exhaust, but not so much that I can tell about back pressure and stuff....

so i wanna get precats/jpipe/race pipe resonated/and custom 3" splitting into 2.5" exhaust../quote]
^^^ there you said it...now with a 3" depending on ur mufflers, you many not have enough backpressure to avoid hurting your low end (idle-3k) but i know a trick on how build some backpressure without hurting the high flow for top end.
2 resonators after test pipe...

pretty much a larger exhaust pipe is good for high end...you want the most free flowing for that...back pressure isn't at play here and you dont want any of it...but thats how youll maximize your high end power...

for low end torque, you need the velocity created by the smaller exhaust pipes...and turns and all that...which creates backpressure...

backpressure for low end....free flowing for high end.

now its kinda hard to have best of both worlds, but in reality its possible. so picking the size that can have both is kinda critical...while 2.5 all the way back is good...i believe 3" would really give you a nice high end, but it will kill your low end torque if simply straight through...so thats why i said 2 resonators...with no crazy chamber.

some high end cars, have by-pass valves in the mufflers...Ferrari F430 has it, below 4000 rpm, exhaust runs through the offset path of the muffler....at 4000k valves route exhaust straight through the back, reducing backpressure and increasing free flow...

some newer vettes have this i believe also..not sure.

not only did the do this for powerband purposes, they did it for a better running engine too...especially at high end, backpressure isn't good at all. The reason for this is: Exhaust gasses travel both ways, not only out the back...believe it or not, some gases bounce back and make their way all the way back into the combustion chamber..this increases combustion temps, as well as slightly lean out the mixture. this happens at valve-change over...when both exhaust and intake valves are slightly open...

this is the reason why i get worked up when someone recommends you a bigger exhaust when you run boost, and their only reason for recommending that is to make more power.... you could literally help blow up a motor by having too much backpressure in the system, with boost...

not to mention, the turbo itself creates enough backpressure, and plenty of muffle...thats why they're so freaking GREAT when properly sized

let this be a lesson for whoever needs it...i know ive mentioned this many other times...but i guess its missed or whatever. i hate repeating myself...feels like im trying to force the point across lol

Last edited by Opel; 09-03-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:01 PM

damn man....thanks....

that post actually makes a lot of sense.....so am looking at a 3" with 2 resonators after a resonated test pipe....or will it be 1 resonator after resonated test pipe ???

here is my view of it....some of u might laff to death and some might think its creative....

people who go custom (am not saying ATLP or XLR8 or any of the brand names here).....who get their own mufflers and down pipe and resonators and tips.....now why do they need a 3rd cat or a test pipe??? they can just have a longer down pipe right??? or is it because of the visual inspection ???

well anyway just a thought....
Old 09-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by swoosh
damn man....thanks....

that post actually makes a lot of sense.....so am looking at a 3" with 2 resonators after a resonated test pipe....or will it be 1 resonator after resonated test pipe ???

here is my view of it....some of u might laff to death and some might think its creative....

people who go custom (am not saying ATLP or XLR8 or any of the brand names here).....who get their own mufflers and down pipe and resonators and tips.....now why do they need a 3rd cat or a test pipe??? they can just have a longer down pipe right??? or is it because of the visual inspection ???

well anyway just a thought....
i guess they keep it that way, if they ever wanna restock everything, it would be easier.

to answer ur first question...well, thats why you dont ever buy a catback exhaust system...you go make ur own at a muffler shop, and if ur not happy with the sound, you can always go back and do smth else and it will still cost you much less...without having to chop up ur nice little shiny overpriced catback you bought, which you would be stuck with, cause if you ever wanna change smth, every time you attempt, youll think "damn, do i wanna cut this fucking pipe, it cost me $1200"

you try one resonator, if too loud, you add another...see where im going with this? ive changed my exhaust setup more times than i care to remember in a period of over 5 years...still didnt spend what one of these systems would've cost me. not to mention the horrible sound...and end up having ur car sound like everyone else's who got the same catback as you.

CUSTOM<CUSTOM<CUSTOM all day
Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 PM

i guess they keep it that way, if they ever wanna restock everything, it would be easier.

to answer ur first question...well, thats why you dont ever buy a catback exhaust system...you go make ur own at a muffler shop, and if ur not happy with the sound, you can always go back and do smth else and it will still cost you much less...without having to chop up ur nice little shiny overpriced catback you bought, which you would be stuck with, cause if you ever wanna change smth, every time you attempt, youll think "damn, do i wanna cut this fucking pipe, it cost me $1200"

you try one resonator, if too loud, you add another...see where im going with this? ive changed my exhaust setup more times than i care to remember in a period of over 5 years...still didnt spend what one of these systems would've cost me. not to mention the horrible sound...and end up having ur car sound like everyone else's who got the same catback as you.

CUSTOM<CUSTOM<CUSTOM all day
the reason for a resonator there was more for backpressure and not sound....since i dont like it too loud or dont like the rasp i think 2 resonators will be good....do u recommend any resonators over the others ??? how about mufflers....???

3" --splits into two--> 2.5" it is
Old 09-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by swoosh
the reason for a resonator there was more for backpressure and not sound....since i dont like it too loud or dont like the rasp i think 2 resonators will be good....do u recommend any resonators over the others ??? how about mufflers....???

3" --splits into two--> 2.5" it is
no specifics...you want something that's not too big in terms of chamber...like the stock one for instance, its almost like a long tube muffler, so you want something narrower, this way it doesnt ruin the straight through flow.
and its for both...to clean up the sound and quiet it down as well...and create some backpressure, but not too much so top end is wide open

as far as mufflers....lol...well..im not a fan of mufflers...and i dont even run any..so i can't really give you a good recommendation...lol sorry bud.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:15 PM

Thanks man.....my custom exhaust will be ready in a little bit....and then video time
Old 09-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
swoosh did you get the parts? also any updates on the exhaust i was also thinking of doing a custom exhaust something like what everyone said here.

RV6 precats,jpipe,test pipe, 3" ,resonator, stock mufflers. how does all that sound?
Old 09-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
swoosh did you get the parts? also any updates on the exhaust i was also thinking of doing a custom exhaust something like what everyone said here.

RV6 precats,jpipe,test pipe, 3" ,resonator, stock mufflers. how does all that sound?
everything sounds good up to the point where you said "stock mufflers" you will really hate the sound of the stock mufflers with the increased flow... but thats just me... not to mention that stock mufflers are pretty restrictive, and its kinda contradicting, having everything else done, and having those mufflers sit at the end like a wall. Just because theyre at the very end of the exhaust setup, they still are a big restriction

aside from everything else...increasing the flow of ur entire exhaust, and having the restrictive stock mufflers on, will literally sound like shit!!! especially the type S mufflers
Old 09-12-2009, 03:36 AM
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by dragonlord
My Magnaflows will be for sale when the XLR8 gets put on.
Let me know a price on these.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

So can I just change the muffler and leave the same tips or is that pointless as well. I was trying to keep the tips but if I have to change them its no problem either. If anything I can change the piping between the muffler and the tips making them 3" as well and welding the tips onto it. Might sound retarded but that's why I'm asking for help. Or should I just change the tip? Thanks.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Green Machine

Check out the link for my experience with my custom exhaust. I went through a few changes until finally satisfied.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/my-custom-borla-greddy-exhaust-721078/

Old 09-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

video sounds bad but i know its just a video and it'll never take place of actually hearing the exhaust. i got the idea tho of basically trying and changing until you like. well i just swapped over the RV6 kit and ima do the exhaust this week. well see what i come up with!!
thanks for all the help.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:18 AM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
video sounds bad but i know its just a video and it'll never take place of actually hearing the exhaust. i got the idea tho of basically trying and changing until you like. well i just swapped over the RV6 kit and ima do the exhaust this week. well see what i come up with!!
thanks for all the help.
Yeah I know the video was crappy...lol! But got plenty of compliments on a clean sound.

Opel is right about putting stock mufflers on a high flow set up. It really choked everything especially top-end performance. With the borla mufflers, the stock tips was an easy and clean fit with the Aspec body kit.

Good luck on your choice!
Old 09-14-2009, 01:26 PM
B A N N E D

I only put down 214 whp and 189 tq with a short ram intake and custom 2.5 exhaust with no mid or rear mufflers and 105k on the odom..... Not too satisfied, but there is room for improvement
Old 09-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Intermediate

The resonator reduces low frequencies, the muffler - high///
I wished to use 900 mm the resonator but have stopped for this reason
Old 09-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Intermediate

OPEL, what do you thinj about so instalation?

Type-r muffler with valve
Old 09-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by greenga
The resonator reduces low frequencies, the muffler - high///
I wished to use 900 mm the resonator but have stopped for this reason
[QUOTE=greenga;11319190]OPEL, what do you thinj about so instalation?

System: freeflow flame dampfer 100 mm x250 mm, fteeflow resonator 125x900 mm, freeflow mufflers(oem size)
Old 09-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

What are you saying? Install the type-r muffler in place of stock resonator?

if thats what ur suggesting, i will say, Absolutely not! lol

what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
Old 09-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

yea im lost too!!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably the best OEM honda mufflers are the JDM DC5 type r and the s2000 ones and I won't use any of them on the TL because of their in/out diameter. I believe that if it's more power what you want, take one of these routes: custom exhaust piping w/resonator + borla/magnaflow/dynomax muflers (probably will need some trial and error to get it to sound right for your taste) and learn how to live with the extra sound OR like OPEL, install a electric cut-out and cruise as silent/stealth as stock and when the extra power is needed, open it and make a lot of noise
Old 09-17-2009, 01:35 AM
Intermediate

What are you saying? Install the type-r muffler in place of stock resonator?

if thats what ur suggesting, i will say, Absolutely not! lol

what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
no))))))))))))))
i want to do all system with free flow, replace all stock to FOX devices(www.foxexhaust.de), delete mid-muffler & increase the lenght of resonator from 500 мм to 900 мм
what do you think about this increasing 500->900?? there will be silent sound with this mod or not?
am i going in the right way?

at the same time i`ve read in one clever article that resonators decrease low frequencies, mufflers - high/// it is necessary to achive balance between them