Throttle Body Coolant Bypass review

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:13 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Body Coolant Bypass review

So I haven't seen any actual reviews of doing this free, easy modification. I have seen people mention it but no one actually talked about its benefits. I did this mod a month ago now and have been extremely pleased with the results. I have a 2007 TL-S with about 37,000 miles on it now. The car has stage 3 exhaust (mid muffler delete and Dynomax Bullet in place of stock resonator). Doing this mod gives no initial gains or benefits when you first start driving. When you start to notice it is after long drives. It used to be that after 30min of driving I could not touch the throttle body it was so hot, and now I can literally grab it after the over 2hr trip it takes for me to get to school from home.

I live relatively close to mountains and have to take mountain roads to get to my brothers house, which I end up doing atleast twice a month and have two times since the mod. When the car gets hot and you have been driving hard, there is a better initial throttle response after doing the coolant bypass.

The best part of this mod that I have seen is the mileage increase. I drove over 400 miles last weekend, averaging 75-80mph on the highway and some basic city driving and some 45-60mph backroad driving. through this I averaged 32mpg! There are no other variables other than this bypass so I have a good feeling that this was the cause of the mileage increase. I was averaging 28-29 on the same style driving before doing this mod. This mileage was also posted carrying close to 200lbs worth of luggage.

My overall view is that this is a modification that even someone with no mechanical skills could do in 10-20 minutes. It is simple and effective. This is worth the time taken to do it. I would personally suggest that anyone do this assuming weather permits it. I have done this same thing to my 2001 Honda S2000 and got very similar results from that car. It has been worth the effort on both cars. Any questions or if you would like my to try to get a picture of what I did I will be happy to post. Thanks for reading and I apologize for the long post. Hope it was beneficial to someone though.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't feel a difference and when I took the CAI off I hooked all the plumbing back to stock.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:23 AM
2005 AM at/navi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey of course i want to know more man. what exactly did you do?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:23 PM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Theres a couple of threads on this and the only thing i noticed so far is that the throttle body is cool to the touch. Doesnt hurt to try it. This is one thread showing how to do it, pretty simple:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showt...ghlight=bypass
Old 09-07-2010, 02:11 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is the same idea but thats not a 3G TL. But basically you do the same thing. I will take some pictures next time I get a chance to have a camera at my car. And I am by no means saying these are huge noticeable gains. The only gain most people will realize unless they drive hard like I do is the gas mileage. I can't say that it will do that for everyone but that is the only changed variable on my car so I honestly cant say what else caused it...
Old 09-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
you get like 2 hp. Nothing you would notice + the tb gets heat soaked anyways. I done it already. Only different is that when you do WOT alot the air is suppose to be cooler.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 PM
2005 AM at/navi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Yonkers914
Theres a couple of threads on this and the only thing i noticed so far is that the throttle body is cool to the touch. Doesnt hurt to try it. This is one thread showing how to do it, pretty simple:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showt...ghlight=bypass
ok man. according to that link you plug a hose from the main in to the main out right. so do i simply connect the tb in to the tb out aswell or what?basically change the in and out with each others?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:40 PM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jr27
ok man. according to that link you plug a hose from the main in to the main out right. so do i simply connect the tb in to the tb out aswell or what?basically change the in and out with each others?
lol ur words r a little confusing but i think u got it right just reroute the hose's back into eachother.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
TB Coolant Bypass Mod...anyone do this? (click here)

Sort of late in the season for this. But, I suppose you will be ready for the summer next year.

If you like the TB Bypass, you will love these other Cooling mods -

The Ultimate Cooling Mod (click here)
Outlaw Engineering Thermoblock Spacer (click here)
Insulating your CAI? (click here)