Taming the beast! PCD Rasp (videos posted)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:02 PM
2011 M37x

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Richie v6
Awesome! Maybe a mod can add the details in the title.
what should this thread be titled as?

Originally Posted by JackSampson
Wow you are putting on an 18 foot resonator. Might stick out bit!!!!

Hahaha just messing with you man. Good luck. Post sound clips when done.
LMAO....i didnt even catch on to that typo lol

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Thanks much blacktsx, those vids were very helpful. That exhaust setup sounds sick, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on the PCDs and Jpipe now
your welcome...i would recommend this exhaust setup to anyone looking for some quick bolt on gains..i would get the v3/v2 combo together to save $100 from richie.the videos do no justice this thing sounds amazing in person
Old 08-22-2010, 09:16 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Do you still have the mid-muffler in your setup? Right now I just have the Magnaflow resonator welded in where the stock resonator used to be.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:31 PM
My Other Ride is a Huey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sexyness!!! Sounds great!

So whats your final setup from front to back?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:12 AM
2011 M37x

Do you still have the mid-muffler in your setup? Right now I just have the Magnaflow resonator welded in where the stock resonator used to be.
yes the mid muffler is still in there...i added the resonator right after the j pipe.

Originally Posted by tragichero
Sexyness!!! Sounds great!

So whats your final setup from front to back?
Richies v2 pre cat deletes, Richies v3 j pipe (rids of 3rd cat), magnaflow resonator, factory exhaust
Old 08-23-2010, 07:00 AM
Racer

rv6 v3 jpipe/v2 pcd is well worth it, buy it while you can save $100, but you will get rasp. so the combo was installed yesterday and i'm getting the same exact sound as the op.

exhaust set up...from front to back...v2 pcd, v3 jpipe, dynomax resonator, mid-muffler delete, stock 2 mufflers and tips. I didn't think i would get rasp already having the aftermarket resonator but its hella loud @ 2500-4000ish rpm...just like OP's before installing aftermarket resonator. Pm'ed Richie and he mentioned i might need to put my stock mid muffler back on....yikes....i don't have this piece anymore...can that be the culprit???
Old 08-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
PCD's Are Beastly

For the win, you must embrace the beastliness

Good luck with...

Old 08-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
PCD's Are Beastly

Good luck with...

sure is and they sure stank...lol, i've seen your vids on the issue of pcd's and your girl is screamin', pretty loud at wot, but mines not that fast cus i like em' healthier

okay maybe just a bit healthier, i didn't reinstall some of the brackets during installing the pcd's, figure i didn't need em', a few of those o2 sensor brackets

Last edited by warren4066; 08-23-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Safety Car

Things tend to get loud with no interior

[sniff]..... what's that smell?.... Smells like Victory
Old 08-23-2010, 11:51 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

OP one last question for you, with that exhaust setup, how is the stinkiness inside the cabin? I've had a catless car before (my old STi) and it got a little smelly if I let it idle in park for a while. Same deal with the TL?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
catless is definitely stinky. I am running a tad rich so it should be better, but the smell gets into your clothes and follows you everywhere.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:19 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by KN_TL
catless is definitely stinky. I am running a tad rich so it should be better, but the smell gets into your clothes and follows you everywhere.
That's what I was thinking, my STi was especially stinky on the race fuel. That alone may be a dealbreaker for me doing the PCDs AND the Jpipe. I guess I could do a different Jpipe that doesn't remove the third cat like the RV6 v3 does and stick with the RV6 PCDs...
Old 08-23-2010, 03:37 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
^^ OR you can get both the PCDs/V3 Jpipe and just add a catalytic converter to your system. You don't need the stock cat, just get a Magnaflow or Vibrant.

Glad you got everything resolved Blacktsx. I'm sure it sounds really good, I can't view the videos at work.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Racer

okay, back on topic...do i need my stock mid muffler back on?
Old 08-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
That's what I was thinking, my STi was especially stinky on the race fuel. That alone may be a dealbreaker for me doing the PCDs AND the Jpipe. I guess I could do a different Jpipe that doesn't remove the third cat like the RV6 v3 does and stick with the RV6 PCDs...
Like Sonick said you can have a 3rd cat welded in after the V3.

I like the Magnaflow spun high flow cats. They are 250-300 Cell metallic substrate. It will reduce around 90% of the smell and help tame the rasp as well.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-59956/
Old 08-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Will they clear Brembos?

What would be a purposed solution if I go with the RV6 True Dual? Is there enough room for a resonator to still be welded inline?
Old 08-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by integra92red
What would be a purposed solution if I go with the RV6 True Dual? Is there enough room for a resonator to still be welded inline?
Not sure if the exhaust will rasp yet. It shouldn't since pipe have more volume. But we wont actually know until it comes out.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Safety Car

I added my 2nd AR-30 right behind the first. I haven't had a chance to fully try it since it was late and I have neighbors with young kids so I will try taking a short vid tomorrow.

But it definitely was less if not totally gone.

What didn't change is the volume. Not sure yet but I may add a small muffler behind it to tone down the volume. The nice thing is that it's not super droning like my Magnaflow's were.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 PM
2011 M37x

Originally Posted by warren4066
rv6 v3 jpipe/v2 pcd is well worth it, buy it while you can save $100, but you will get rasp. so the combo was installed yesterday and i'm getting the same exact sound as the op.

exhaust set up...from front to back...v2 pcd, v3 jpipe, dynomax resonator, mid-muffler delete, stock 2 mufflers and tips. I didn't think i would get rasp already having the aftermarket resonator but its hella loud @ 2500-4000ish rpm...just like OP's before installing aftermarket resonator. Pm'ed Richie and he mentioned i might need to put my stock mid muffler back on....yikes....i don't have this piece anymore...can that be the culprit???
i would put the mid muffler back on but thats me...i dont know what your personal preferences are. i use to get rasp right around the same rpm range as u before

PCD's Are Beastly

Good luck with...

YES they are BEASTLY!!!!

OP one last question for you, with that exhaust setup, how is the stinkiness inside the cabin? I've had a catless car before (my old STi) and it got a little smelly if I let it idle in park for a while. Same deal with the TL?
to be honest with you i did notice just a slight difference with the smell but it doesnt bother me at all....what i notice is on my a-spec kit right above the exhaust tips it turns kinda brown...

Originally Posted by Sonnick
^^ OR you can get both the PCDs/V3 Jpipe and just add a catalytic converter to your system. You don't need the stock cat, just get a Magnaflow or Vibrant.

with the v3 j pipe it eliminates the 3rd cat so you would have to get a cat welded on..

Glad you got everything resolved Blacktsx. I'm sure it sounds really good, I can't view the videos at work.
me too i couldnt deal with the rasp now i gotta see how i can stop my a-spec kit from turning brown...right above the exhaust tips the kit has a yellow tint to it...it comes off if i scrub it hard
Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

That's usually going to happen with a catless setup, I was constantly wiping off my Chargespeed rear bumper. It will go from yellow to black eventually.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Racer

Wow....im going back to demodding mid muffler and more car washes...this is great...lol, more reasons for me to spend time with the beast
Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Safety Car

and more car washes.
The PCD's are beastly in more ways than one

After approx 2000 - 3000 miles, the rear bumper around the exhaust tips will turn nasty dark brown color. The chrome areas of the tip will go from chrome to brown to dark brown to almost dark charcoal black over a 10,000 mile period if not cleaned.

White car + Beastly PCD =

The discoloration around the exhaust tips is *not* water soluble. This means that soap will not remove it... not in the slightest.

Furthermore, not just any solvent will remove it. I tried Mineral Spirits and no luck. I then tried isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol 90% solution) and the alcohol works.... barely.

Use isopropyl rubbing alcohol, preferably 90%, to remove the brown residue. Use a soft 100% cotton (Gerber baby diaper from Walmart) or microfiber to rub. Let the alcohol do the work. Don't apply too much pressure. Use a lot of alcohol. Keep the area damp with alcohol while *gently* rubbing. It will take about 3-5 minutes to dissolve the stain in the area that you are working on. That is, it will take about 10-15 minutes to remove the stains from both tips and the surrounding painted bumper.

Take your time to allow the alcohol to do the work without rubbing much. This is something that you will be doing once per month or once every few months. Be gentle with the paint. Absolutely No paper towels.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:40 AM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
After reading all the information on this thread I am really beginning to regret my purchase of the PCD's. It seems as though they are more of a hassle (for me) then they are worth.

I want to see all of the power gains but I don't want to get all of the rasp, the smell, and the discoloration.

Now I'm just debating...
Old 08-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Racer

^debate this way...get it and call it a day, nothing else like it. you will not feel the beast if you don't try it
Old 08-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Safety Car

nothing else like it. you will not feel the beast if you don't try it
I agree. "Don't make me unleash the beast on you"

Old 08-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Racer

i'm liking the carbon bronze look
Old 08-24-2010, 12:22 PM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
^debate this way...get it and call it a day, nothing else like it. you will not feel the beast if you don't try it
I already brought it and I have my deposit down for the RV-6 Exhaust. At this point I thing that I rather have the J-pipe and the Exhaust. I'll probably put the exhaust on before the winter and then put the PCD's on in the spring. I don't want to have all that power and be surrounded by snow and not able to use it.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:29 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Like Sonick said you can have a 3rd cat welded in after the V3.

I like the Magnaflow spun high flow cats. They are 250-300 Cell metallic substrate. It will reduce around 90% of the smell and help tame the rasp as well.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-59956/
I see the concept of welding in another cat, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of removing a cat with the V3 jpipe? I understand that the new cat is going to be high flow, but this is an NA application...we're not talking about a huge difference in horsepower or having to deal with turbo spool, etc.

Don't take this as me being argumentative, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I REALLY like both of your exhaust products and I'm going to buy one or both directly from you regardless. I just want to do it in the most cost effective way and with the least number of side effects. Going through the hassle of buying another high flow cat and paying to have it professionally welded in place in this case negates the benefit of the discount you get for buying the PCD/Jpipe combo.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Former Sponsor

I see the concept of welding in another cat, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of removing a cat with the V3 jpipe? I understand that the new cat is going to be high flow, but this is an NA application...we're not talking about a huge difference in horsepower or having to deal with turbo spool, etc.

Don't take this as me being argumentative, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I REALLY like both of your exhaust products and I'm going to buy one or both directly from you regardless. I just want to do it in the most cost effective way and with the least number of side effects. Going through the hassle of buying another high flow cat and paying to have it professionally welded in place in this case negates the benefit of the discount you get for buying the PCD/Jpipe combo.
Due to clearance issues the current V3 design would not be possible without removing the 3rd cat. I realize that going catless would be unacceptable for some. So that is why we have some high flow precats in the works.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:28 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Due to clearance issues the current V3 design would not be possible without removing the 3rd cat. I realize that going catless would be unacceptable for some. So that is why we have some high flow precats in the works.
Awesome that sounds like a good compromise! What does your projected timeline look like for those high flow precats?

It wouldn't be as big of an issue if this was a weekend car or if I didn't drive as much or interact with clients as much as I do...but dealing with the hassles of a catless setup where the hp advantages won't outweigh the comfortability disadvantages is my only concern.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Awesome that sounds like a good compromise! What does your projected timeline look like for those high flow precats?

It wouldn't be as big of an issue if this was a weekend car or if I didn't drive as much or interact with clients as much as I do...but dealing with the hassles of a catless setup where the hp advantages won't outweigh the comfortability disadvantages is my only concern.
Most likely around xmas. Going with some new ideas so it might take a little longer.

Last edited by Richie v6; 08-24-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
resonator videos sounds great..defintly took care of the rasp
Old 08-24-2010, 06:15 PM
2011 M37x

The PCD's are beastly in more ways than one

After approx 2000 - 3000 miles, the rear bumper around the exhaust tips will turn nasty dark brown color. The chrome areas of the tip will go from chrome to brown to dark brown to almost dark charcoal black over a 10,000 mile period if not cleaned.

White car + Beastly PCD =

The discoloration around the exhaust tips is *not* water soluble. This means that soap will not remove it... not in the slightest.

Furthermore, not just any solvent will remove it. I tried Mineral Spirits and no luck. I then tried isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol 90% solution) and the alcohol works.... barely.

Use isopropyl rubbing alcohol, preferably 90%, to remove the brown residue. Use a soft 100% cotton (Gerber baby diaper from Walmart) or microfiber to rub. Let the alcohol do the work. Don't apply too much pressure. Use a lot of alcohol. Keep the area damp with alcohol while *gently* rubbing. It will take about 3-5 minutes to dissolve the stain in the area that you are working on. That is, it will take about 10-15 minutes to remove the stains from both tips and the surrounding painted bumper.

Take your time to allow the alcohol to do the work without rubbing much. This is something that you will be doing once per month or once every few months. Be gentle with the paint. Absolutely No paper towels.
quick fix tried it today and it works..

Originally Posted by Morrissey25
After reading all the information on this thread I am really beginning to regret my purchase of the PCD's. It seems as though they are more of a hassle (for me) then they are worth.

I want to see all of the power gains but I don't want to get all of the rasp, the smell, and the discoloration.

Now I'm just debating...
if u dont want rasp add a resonator...if you dont like discoloration use rubbing alcohol...i deff think it was worth it and cleaning the bumper once a week when i wash the car isnt rocket science

YES warren

do you still have the v2 jpipes? will the high flow pre cats lessen the gains richie?

richie any idea on renaming this thread?

Originally Posted by Tmarks91
resonator videos sounds great..defintly took care of the rasp
thanks...are you gonna get the resonator?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Can.
Not.
Wait.
Til.
My.
Precats.
Are.
On.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
for sure hi flow precat is best way but designed to no loss power against PCD V2 !!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by blacktsx05

do you still have the v2 jpipes? will the high flow pre cats lessen the gains richie?

richie any idea on renaming this thread?
I might have a used one not sure. How about "Taming the beast! PCD Rasp"

Originally Posted by hondazex
for sure hi flow precat is best way but designed to no loss power against PCD V2 !!
We will be using some high flow units. I plan on doing some flow testing.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
and check engine lights from the PCD or are the angled foulers good enough
Old 08-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Safety Car

The angled defoulers supplied with the PCD are nearly perfect or possibly absolutely perfect. There have been just a very, very few people on Acuarazine that have had CEL with the Version 2 PCD.

In my opinion, these very few cases might had been from O2 sensors being damaged during the PCD install, and not the fault of the defoulers. The sensors are delicate and easily damaged. Hitting on the wrench to break loose the stubborn sensor will send damaging vibrations to the sensor. Get oil (anti-seize?) on the business-end of the sensor and the sensor is compromised. Drop the loose sensor hard on the concrete floor and it is compromised.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:06 AM
2011 M37x

I might have a used one not sure. How about "Taming the beast! PCD Rasp"

We will be using some high flow units. I plan on doing some flow testing.
you got it let me PM a mod lol

Originally Posted by MEM3
and check engine lights from the PCD or are the angled foulers good enough
you shouldnt get any CE light codes..check the angle

i remember there was a thread on here where someone showed how to angle the foulers so u dont get a error light
Old 08-26-2010, 06:28 AM
Racer

if i remember correctly front fouler is facing up and rear is facing down...well at least that's how i have mine set up...no engine light
Old 08-26-2010, 06:33 AM
Safety Car

The angled defoulers supplied with the PCD are nearly perfect or possibly absolutely perfect. There have been just a very, very few people on Acuarazine that have had CEL with the Version 2 PCD.

In my opinion, these very few cases might had been from O2 sensors being damaged during the PCD install, and not the fault of the defoulers. The sensors are delicate and easily damaged. Hitting on the wrench to break loose the stubborn sensor will send damaging vibrations to the sensor. Get oil (anti-seize?) on the business-end of the sensor and the sensor is compromised. Drop the loose sensor hard on the concrete floor and it is compromised.
I handled mine like they were eggs from the golden goose and used sensor safe anti seize compound. The only thing I didn't use was a tool specifically made for a sensor but mine broke loose very easily.

You can tell just by looking at them that they're delicate.

Quick Reply: Taming the beast! PCD Rasp (videos posted)