STS TURBO Universal Kit compatible with the TL and TYPE S

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ndabunka
....CRAP! Somethings not right. It's making an odd sound and the HP is back down to 313.5. May be time for more research...The guys here say they don't have any more time for it tonight. Maybe they can get back to it over the weekend. Until then I guess I'll just drive the SL55 I bought last weekend
please keep us posted.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:56 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
ndabunka was probably pulling an april fools... I hope he isn't tho

06wdp-tl - it is a garett turbo (and stop playing devils advocate lol)
Old 04-03-2008, 05:45 AM
Drifting

Hopefully we could get this to work. I tried going the Lovejoy way- but they never got back with me. They're the ones with the 800HP NSX. Maybe I'll try again.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:52 AM
Drifting

Too early for my mind- it's Lovefab!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I've already installed a Turbo AND tuned it. I wasn't abel to use the eManage stuff but rather had to go to an application designed for the Suburu Sti and then had to re-write a bit of the code. I'm reading about 361HP right now but think there is still an issue. It's up on the Mustang Dyno as I type this from my laptop with EDVO. The guys at this shop are AMAZING and are going through it trying to get more HP out of it... Wish me luck guys!
That's good Sandman. Are you bringing this turbo charged monster to the meet on the 12th?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:42 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Please Continue All Engine Management Talks Over Here...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177540

Thanks! Mikey
Old 04-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Drifting

I got a response from Lovefab. Going to set up a meeting with him about a turbo kit. He said they would use the AEM FIC system. So I will know a little more in a couple of days. I just have to see when I can make it up there.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sts are good kits, like people above stated, they are popular with v8 crowd b/c there is not much room in the engine bay for the turbos, I/C's and plumbing. Also you wont need custom manifolds to bolt the turbos too. A lot piping though in them. I've seen a C5 vette with the kit, its pretty sick... although I'd be scared I'd hit a pothole or some crap on the ground and bust something loose b/c they are pretty low to the ground in the rear. As for lag, you wont care for a pure drag car, like the hondas with 60 trims, but for a drivable street car, it would be pretty anoying. If you want to build a drag car though, why start with a nice fancy TL???
Old 04-03-2008, 01:08 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

honestly... I don't think the kit will be mounted low at all... if you've ever seen the bottom of the car you can see the jpipe... it hangs low... since the turbine will be back where the mufflers are located you'd figure that it will be slightly lower ground clearance than the mufflers themselves... I really don't think ground clearance is a problem, but I do think harsh weather could shorten the life of the turbo...
Old 04-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Drifting

At NOPI Michigan last year, there was a Chevy Cavalier with a similar set-up. I would not have seen the turbo if he hadn't had a mirror on the ground underneath.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:46 PM
luvs redheads!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only problem i have with the STS is that your car really shouldn't be daily driven with it on. However it is a great power adder. One guy with a legend finally did it but on that forum he was chased away because the guys are dicks.

As far as lovefab goes, cody is doing some really good work right now so make sure to ask for a test drive in his newest setup(turbo in trunk).

I am also in the business of custom kits etc, however I am not ready to take this project on even though I have told my distributor that the j-series is next on my list.

Good luck!
Old 04-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
honestly... I don't think the kit will be mounted low at all... if you've ever seen the bottom of the car you can see the jpipe... it hangs low... since the turbine will be back where the mufflers are located you'd figure that it will be slightly lower ground clearance than the mufflers themselves... I really don't think ground clearance is a problem, but I do think harsh weather could shorten the life of the turbo...
If I were doing it, I would put it in place of the mid muffler or even remove the rear mufflers and put the turbo on one side and you'd have nearly stock ground clearance. If you have to do it this way, the farther forward the better. I can't remember if there was room if you put it in place of the third cat.

Harsh weather won't hurt it if you're clever with the intake plumbing. Instead of a filter straight on the turbo, you could fabricate an inlet system that could pull air from a different source or at the minimum a baffle.

It's a shame though. The head design of the TL is just begging for a turbo bolted directly to each head. I have more than enough turbos laying around. Hopefully by the time I'm done making payments on the car someone will have cracked the computer.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:25 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yeap, it's all still in getting thru to the chip.

it's actually pretty frustrating, if you look at alot of the new cars coming, they are making it harder and harder....anyone read up on how locked down the 09' GT-R is? in japan speed governor is satallite linked and only unlocked on specific speed circuits at preset times. Also Engine management and aftermarket add ons are being given to Greddy and some few other companies.....

so frustrating!!!
Old 04-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Intermediate

Its pretty funny to see the topic of forced induction and the TL go this long once again, when clearly the issue is in the tuning.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
That would be a blast to drive. Lets totally screw up the entire power curve to get a little peak power right before it's time to shift. The Honda guys are known for being idiots when it comes to turbo sizing. Running a 60-1 in today's time reinforces it. That was old news in '98 with the Turbo Buick crowd. The DSM crowd was always more focused on streetability and getting off the line. You can't compare some of the faster street legal DSMs to the turbocharged Hondas.

And please, most people aren't concerned about lag? Are you for real? It's not just about what rpm it spools at, there's transient response. You don't just rev to 5K and the boost instanly appears. It would be no fun to drive on the street.
I'd say you've never driven one then. On the interstate, my friends turbo B18 civic actually pulls away from a 125mph trap LS1 powered RX7. While it might not be the best on the track, there's more to driving than just a 1/4 mile at a time. The DSM crowd finally got on the right track and started to chuck the tiny internal wastegate crap for bigger and better.

I don't see why you say there would be no power until right before its time to shift? If the motor is done right, peak power on a turbo honda would be around 8500 - 8900 rpms. If you have full boost at 5K, that's still more rpm range than most domestics even have, and the car just keeps getting faster, instead of being torque monsters and then running out of steam.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:06 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've brought this up before, and the general consensus of the forum, as aforementioned by a previous poster was that it was "unrealistic" feasible, but it'll take a good amount of work man. If Hondata was commited to tuning our motor and creating a reflash you could have asked them for help, but I believe they've given up on the TL due to a lack of interest from the forum.

I will say this though, tuning our engine is a problem that can be solved by throwing money at it, the only problem is if you've got enough.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:16 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

ndabunka was probably pulling an april fools... I hope he isn't tho

06wdp-tl - it is a garett turbo (and stop playing devils advocate lol)
! BINGO !
I did drag it out a bit though. I do that three buddies who have the STi's. They said....sorry, can't tune the TL with what we have.....so, yes it was a ruse... my apologies to the faithful
Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by chill_dog
That's good Sandman. Are you bringing this turbo charged monster to the meet on the 12th?
Sorry I won't be able to make it. I'm at the beachhouse that week. Myrtle here I come!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Herro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Isn't one of the advantages of the STS kit is that since the intake charge piping runs down the underside of the car, the air running through the underside of the car cooling the intake charge somewhat? or is it so minor that it really wouldn't matter.

Ah, the thoughts of having a turboed TL. That would be so bad ass lol. I guess we'll just have to keep on dreaming.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by screaminz28
I'd say you've never driven one then. On the interstate, my friends turbo B18 civic actually pulls away from a 125mph trap LS1 powered RX7. While it might not be the best on the track, there's more to driving than just a 1/4 mile at a time. The DSM crowd finally got on the right track and started to chuck the tiny internal wastegate crap for bigger and better.

I don't see why you say there would be no power until right before its time to shift? If the motor is done right, peak power on a turbo honda would be around 8500 - 8900 rpms. If you have full boost at 5K, that's still more rpm range than most domestics even have, and the car just keeps getting faster, instead of being torque monsters and then running out of steam.
On the interstate is great for a ricer. I personally don't like to do gay 80-150mph races on public streets. I don't want a car that comes alive well past the legal speed limit. I prefer usable power. It's great your friend's car pulls hard at 125mph. How many buslengths does the LS1 put on him before then? It's nice how these people make up races to suit their particular car because they can't cut it from a standing start.

You still ignore the transient response of a big turbo/small motor car. Even if it "can" spool by 5K, it's going to be slow getting there. They are absolutely no fun on the street.

As for the internal wastegate comment, if they work, they work. At some point you have to upgrade but the DSM crowd used to be about going fast as cheap as possible on stock stuff. I've run into more cams/ported head DSMs lately that were slower than the old days when they wanted to see how far they could go on the stock longblock.

How many turbo cars have you owned?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NBPacuraTL
Isn't one of the advantages of the STS kit is that since the intake charge piping runs down the underside of the car, the air running through the underside of the car cooling the intake charge somewhat? or is it so minor that it really wouldn't matter.

Ah, the thoughts of having a turboed TL. That would be so bad ass lol. I guess we'll just have to keep on dreaming.
It's pretty minor. It's too bad you couldn't use the pipe as a cooler with both external and internal fins but I'm sure it would be way too restictive if it had fins like the inside of an intercooler.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:34 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

well the sts kit is away from the motor so there is no engine bay heat... cooling isn't a problem then...

I would think the best way would be to have it located on the passenger side muffler... single exit...
Old 04-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Herro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
well the sts kit is away from the motor so there is no engine bay heat... cooling isn't a problem then...

I would think the best way would be to have it located on the passenger side muffler... single exit...
LOL, I was thinking that also. Don't really like the sound of that...
Old 04-04-2008, 08:39 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Since a turbo is driven off of air pressure, it would be better to have as much air as possible, right? Therefore, using only 50% of the air as stated here would seem to provide only about 50% of the functionality. So, it seems to me that you would want it directly connected to the composite air flow.

Also, since heat expands air any cooling would also reduce the air pressure so the further from the heat source the less benefit. However, I don't think there is going to be a tremendous amount of heat reduction due to the distance from manifold to exhaust tip.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Team Owner

The heat in the intake charge is from the compression of the air. It will make no difference where the turbo is located, the heat will still be there.

On the turbine side, you want to retain as much heat as possible and keep the distance from engine to turbo as short as possible for spool. Placing the turbo at the rear of the car does not do this.

I don't know if you meant feeding the turbo with only 1/2 the exhaust or if you were talking about installing it in one muffler location and feeding it with all of the exhaust. 1/2 of the exhaust would not produce any boost.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Instructor

One thing missing here is how to put the HP to the ground. My type S on dry pavement is about all that FWD can handle on a daily driver - another 60 - 100 hp + increased torque would shred front tires and you couldn't use it in the corners.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:45 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

dunno what tires or suspension setup you are running.... but I wouldn't mind some more power beyond just shredding rubber in 1st... ps enjoy my video - http://youtube.com/watch?v=SQClCLgcOwY
Old 04-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Team Anthracite

why not use the high boost pulley for the CT supercharger =)
Old 04-04-2008, 01:10 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Hbp = chewed up motor

Might aswell run a 150shot of nitrous
Old 04-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Intermediate

What type of fuel system does the TL use? Is the problem not enough fuel? Is it a returnless system? Does the TL pull pulsewidth as fuel press. is increased? If you cant crack the programming on the TL, cant it be "tricked"?
Old 04-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by THE SLEEPER
What type of fuel system does the TL use? Is the problem not enough fuel? Is it a returnless system? Does the TL pull pulsewidth as fuel press. is increased? If you cant crack the programming on the TL, cant it be "tricked"?
We need a way to PROPERLY deliver more fuel via extra pulswidth and not fuel pressure (except to cover the differential pressure of the blower).

The other problem is running boost on an 11:1 motor that has a problem with pinging when stock.

If I were to run a blower with HBP I would either keep it on a steady diet of 100 unleaded or run one of the progressive methanol kits meant for my GN as the additional fuel. The methanol would be a real solution to the fueling and octane problem if someone would try it.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:24 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by THE SLEEPER
You need to read a bit more. Closed loop system. No data available during delivery. No way to "fool" the system. Kinda sucks but until someone cracks it....we got VERY little to work with.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Team Owner

You need to read a bit more. Closed loop system. No data available during delivery. No way to "fool" the system. Kinda sucks but until someone cracks it....we got VERY little to work with.
This is why, until someone cracks the computer, I think a progressive methanol kit is the answer. You're feeding extra fuel via an external source and it's 130 octane to counteract the fact that we can't retard the timing. The cooling effect doesn't hurt either on all of the non-intercooled superchargers we have running around.

I have done this before. Different car but the same principals apply. I was out of fuel, injectors were running 100% duty cycle (20% more than what's considered safe), and it still wasn't enough. Until I could get bigger injectors, I ramped up the methanol delivery and it worked great.

A good kit is $400. You're not going to get the kind of gains AND saftey from any other product for that kind of money.