Stage 3 with upgraded muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 12:11 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acurazine members

Tanabe is looking for a acura TL vehicle for exhaust setup.

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/rnd.asp
Old 08-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by flipnoyz
Acurazine members

Tanabe is looking for a acura TL vehicle for exhaust setup.

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/rnd.asp

hmm says full stock...i dont have a stock exhaust piping anymore...dammit x100

teaser-chop

the place i bought the muffler from only sent one...now i have to wait for the other haha
Old 08-24-2007, 02:48 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good. Did you remove the stock resonator and mid mufflers?

Hows the sounds!
Old 08-24-2007, 04:17 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
wow you have 1 and put it on already, lmfao... are you driving around with 1 tanabe n 1 magnaflow oh lord
Old 08-24-2007, 05:35 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
haha I'm pretty sure he photoshopped it guys! haha I think.. anyways those looks REAL good man! Cant wait till you get those bad boys on and post an audio clip
Old 08-24-2007, 06:26 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

I sure hope he did, definitely waiting on the second one then I will either go with the tanabe canisters or with the AZNBO187 Quadback
Old 08-24-2007, 06:30 PM
FizzyStatus!

haha, oh yeah the aznbo is HOTTT probably going to be expensive though. But with aznbo, he's all about quality

What happened to those Apexi you liked tho? the ws2
Old 08-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ballinfizzle89
haha I'm pretty sure he photoshopped it guys! haha I think.. anyways those looks REAL good man! Cant wait till you get those bad boys on and post an audio clip
lol yes def photoshopped
well...since the place i ordered it from forgot to ship the 2nd one...it's coming in monday ill try to get it installed sometime next week
Old 08-25-2007, 12:14 AM
FizzyStatus!

Originally Posted by ib18c1
lol yes def photoshopped
well...since the place i ordered it from forgot to ship the 2nd one...it's coming in monday ill try to get it installed sometime next week
Oh, wow, haha they forgot? That's really annoying, but still Monday is still pretty quick! I'm excited though, I wanna hear these badboys!
Old 08-25-2007, 01:23 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

I know what the ws2's sound like.... but I've forgotten the tanabe quality sound... if his tanabe setup sound awesome I am going to get them aswell... at 150 a piece... that is a bargain for such a quality item.... the ws2 are about 40 bux more.... and if I don't go via this route.. The quadback looks really good possibily also... just depends on which sounds the best....

So monday after you set that up... we need a nice sound clip... either upload via veoh.com or upload it as a stage6 divx both yield looseless quality
Old 08-25-2007, 01:17 PM
FizzyStatus!

Originally Posted by stillhere153
I know what the ws2's sound like.... but I've forgotten the tanabe quality sound... if his tanabe setup sound awesome I am going to get them aswell... at 150 a piece... that is a bargain for such a quality item.... the ws2 are about 40 bux more.... and if I don't go via this route.. The quadback looks really good possibily also... just depends on which sounds the best....

So monday after you set that up... we need a nice sound clip... either upload via veoh.com or upload it as a stage6 divx both yield looseless quality

x2!!

Yeah Tanabe's are good quality products, cant wait to hear em on a 3G TL
Old 08-28-2007, 04:22 PM
FizzyStatus!

Exclamation

I was thinking about getting TopSpeed Pro Spec mufflers.
Here's a 350Z with em, but I dont know how they'll be with an Acura TL?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X49F5XHNg3k
and
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EaWKnq0q8nQ
I think I might just finally pull the trigger?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Former Sponsor

I was thinking about getting TopSpeed Pro Spec mufflers.
Here's a 350Z with em, but I dont know how they'll be with an Acura TL?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X49F5XHNg3k
and
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EaWKnq0q8nQ
I think I might just finally pull the trigger?

that sounds OH SO GOOD! man...i dont think J32a3 will ever sound nearly as good as VQ35s...

btw, got the tanabe installed....ran into quite a few problems LOL

well i took off the stage 3 resonator and just had them weld in the magnaflow muffler i had into the mid muffler area so it would dampen the sound more....other than that its just a straight pipe (where the resonator was)

I got this idea after looking at Comptech exhaust, i see they had no resonator just a mid muffler to 2 mufflers....

any who....just from first driving impressions....sounds just like the magnaflow...ROFL...there is more tone ill give u that...magnaflow was all loud and throaty....this one is more of a smooth potent throaty tone.

The way the muffler can be installed were limited due to the big oval cans and the given small narrow spaces around the rear bumper and chassis.

This set up is not 100% complete....
What I am now waiting for is my magnaflow Y pipe. The Tanabes are actaully coming STRAIGHT out, this means no angle like how most ppl installed their HKS. When it is straight out....the tip is not cenetered with the opening....heres what i mean:

/ O/____________\O \

ahha tahts where the tip is right now, i can not center it because the ovals are too wide, my only other option is to angle it probably 20-45 degrees to get it centered. I shall try this out after my Y pipe comes in.

I will also get a quick pic and a video later tonight or whenever, its just way too hot right now. again, i am not 100% finished with this set up
Old 08-28-2007, 05:30 PM
FizzyStatus!

that sounds OH SO GOOD! man...i dont think J32a3 will ever sound nearly as good as VQ35s...

btw, got the tanabe installed....ran into quite a few problems LOL

well i took off the stage 3 resonator and just had them weld in the magnaflow muffler i had into the mid muffler area so it would dampen the sound more....other than that its just a straight pipe (where the resonator was)

I got this idea after looking at Comptech exhaust, i see they had no resonator just a mid muffler to 2 mufflers....

any who....just from first driving impressions....sounds just like the magnaflow...ROFL...there is more tone ill give u that...magnaflow was all loud and throaty....this one is more of a smooth potent throaty tone.

The way the muffler can be installed were limited due to the big oval cans and the given small narrow spaces around the rear bumper and chassis.

This set up is not 100% complete....
What I am now waiting for is my magnaflow Y pipe. The Tanabes are actaully coming STRAIGHT out, this means no angle like how most ppl installed their HKS. When it is straight out....the tip is not cenetered with the opening....heres what i mean:

/ O/____________\O \

ahha tahts where the tip is right now, i can not center it because the ovals are too wide, my only other option is to angle it probably 20-45 degrees to get it centered. I shall try this out after my Y pipe comes in.

I will also get a quick pic and a video later tonight or whenever, its just way too hot right now. again, i am not 100% finished with this set up
Oh wow, haha well get some pics/vids up for right now, but once the YPipe comes in you'll be good. are you still thinking about that 20"+ resonator? How much was the install?
Oh by the way, did you get a custom Y Pipe?
I talked to the TopSpeed guy and he said the mufflers that you see in the 350 are 100 a piece plus shipping. So I think I might get these, just to be different haha.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Oh wow, haha well get some pics/vids up for right now, but once the YPipe comes in you'll be good. are you still thinking about that 20"+ resonator? How much was the install?
Oh by the way, did you get a custom Y Pipe?
I talked to the TopSpeed guy and he said the mufflers that you see in the 350 are 100 a piece plus shipping. So I think I might get these, just to be different haha.

nah no custom ypipe...the muffler ppl used my stock one....looks kinda nasty so i told them to order that magnaflow y asap! lol

the install was 60 bucks:
- straight pipe with flange to magnaflow muffler (as a midmuffler) to stock ypipe to tanabe hypers

it didnt look the photochopped pic haha this one remids me of...the comptech with greddy evo tips LOL

i can still smell the welding plus theres white smoke thats puffing out, im sure this is normal since it happened before.

but yeah once the Ypipe is installed along with angle-ing the mufflers a bit, its complete. and i might slap on my stage 3 resonator as well just to tone it down a bit more

lol goodluck witht the top speed mufflers man they seem crazy loud! i still drive my parents/family around so i hate hearing them complain and yelling hahaha

my goal is to make it sound like that IS350 vid u showed me
Old 08-28-2007, 05:49 PM
FizzyStatus!

haha that IS350 did sound pretty sick. The install price was pretty good as well.

I'm sure everythings gonna go down nice once you have all the parts in, haha probably better than that IS350.
I remember the guy that was doing the stage 3 mod for me started the car without rewelding the other side of the dynomax resonator, and it didnt sound THAT loud. Idk why yours sounds so loud? Maybe because mine wasnt broken in?(stage 3 resonator)
Old 08-28-2007, 06:36 PM
Former Sponsor

For you Ballin

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u1HjRX1Lkb8

i have no idea where my camera is...so this is all u get hahahah for now
Old 08-28-2007, 06:46 PM
FizzyStatus!

haha YESSSSSSS

Yooo that's not even that loud! Might be loud in person but I really really like the sound. Hopefully mine sounds similar to that. I ordered mine after I saw your vid haha (The TopSpeed Pro 1 GTSpecs)

Btw..You make some really videos, haah in everyone of your videos, you have every view
Old 08-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Former Sponsor

haha YESSSSSSS

Yooo that's not even that loud! Might be loud in person but I really really like the sound. Hopefully mine sounds similar to that. I ordered mine after I saw your vid haha (The TopSpeed Pro 1 GTSpecs)

Btw..You make some really videos, haah in everyone of your videos, you have every view
lol ty ty

afterr hearing the clip myself, im just keeping it as is...well other than adding the magnaflow ypipe. No need for more resonators etc

damn dude bought the topspeed n1 already?? lol now I cant wait to hear it! are u going to run with the silencer on? lmk how it goes man

in the mean time, ill try to make more vids after the ypipe installation
Old 08-28-2007, 07:04 PM
FizzyStatus!

Just listened to the vid again... haha

yes sir..that I will..is the Y pipe supposed to make the sound different?

Oh, how does a silencer work? Is it an easy screw on screw off kinda thing or weld/reweld kinda thing?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Just listened to the vid again... haha

yes sir..that I will..is the Y pipe supposed to make the sound different?

Oh, how does a silencer work? Is it an easy screw on screw off kinda thing or weld/reweld kinda thing?
yeah silencers are screw on and off, but they make most car sound like ass! ahha well i had a silcener on my TOp Fuel exhaust for my RSX, with it on, it robbed SO much power and it sounded near stock with a bit of rasp, with it off sounded deep.

nah ypipe makes no sound diff, miight be a bit louder since im doing 2.25-2.5" piping. but i just want it to look neater and not el cheapo like how it is now
Old 08-28-2007, 07:38 PM
FizzyStatus!

yeah silencers are screw on and off, but they make most car sound like ass! ahha well i had a silcener on my TOp Fuel exhaust for my RSX, with it on, it robbed SO much power and it sounded near stock with a bit of rasp, with it off sounded deep.

nah ypipe makes no sound diff, miight be a bit louder since im doing 2.25-2.5" piping. but i just want it to look neater and not el cheapo like how it is now

Ha gotcha, I couldnt really see how the tanabe's are setup in the videos, but from what i could see, didnt look too bad. Haha but if it looks the way you described, haha thats goofy, good thing you got that ypipe coming in.

Ok so probably without silencers, and if it's too bad, I'll get another resonator I guess

BTW..seems like you put a shit load of money in the DC5?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:11 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

dude I woke up and check this thread, b18 you went on and did, #1 muffler swap PERIOD, that sounds bad ass man, I am so going to do that, Did you replace your 3rd cat with a test pipe?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:11 AM
FizzyStatus!

Haha..stillhere, we're waiting for you man! haah you're the only one left

I hope I get my TopSpeed N1's in soon
Old 08-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Former Sponsor

dude I woke up and check this thread, b18 you went on and did, #1 muffler swap PERIOD, that sounds bad ass man, I am so going to do that, Did you replace your 3rd cat with a test pipe?
haha , nah stock cat
basically my set up goes

stock jpipe -> 2.5" piping -> magnaflow muffler (as midmuff) -> stock ypipe -> tanabes

so ur planning to get the tanabe? haha i saw ur other thread and it said u didnt want an exhaust anymore haha well the evo
Old 08-30-2007, 07:04 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Yeah man I am not getting the evo anymore spoke to one of my car nutts and he was like "well they didn't make the evo setup for the type s for 2 reasons, because they didn't want to have to reweld all the hangers and the second because the exhaust on the type s is free flowing that going from the stock to the evo would yield at most 2 to 3 hp gains via the dyno and you won't feel them at all"

so I am going to go
stock jipe -> test pipe -> dynomax resonator -> stock y pipe -> Tanabes

Ps. Went to class yesterday, DONT NEED ANY BOOKS... lmfao... so I will be doing this setup sometime next month
Old 08-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dear exhaust gurus,

I have been thinking about getting the exhaust done, but I am not quite sure what to do. As of now, I am just thinking about replacing the stock mufllers with one of the sets you guys have. I haven't listened to any of the clips. I will do that when I get home.

I love the sound of G35 - very classy/sexy yet aggressive sound, so that's what I want to achieve.

I looked at Greddy's cat back. It seems a bit too agressive for TL, IMO. the 4" tips and the noise/drone are my primary concern. I have an AT.

Any advice?

stillhere, you know a reputable exhaust shop in NYC or somewhere close to westchester?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Former Sponsor

damm stillhere, no need for books? lucky man lol im waiting to spend over 500 on books next week...so im done with exhaust modding, im not sure if urs will sound any diff ffrom mine since im not a stage 3 andymore...more like...stage...1.5 O_O
ahha but goodluck on it

haha enigmaos, hope ur not calling my an exhaust guru, because im not...i just spend to much money haha, just check out teh clips, if u dont want a loud droney exhaust...do not do magnaflow muffler + stage3 set up, i went deaf so i had to switch it ASAP.

Tanabes have the big tips to i dont think ull like that either...what u can do is prob get the magnaflow 14" mufflers then use ur stock midmuffler + a dynomax resonator, itll drone just a bit...but not much as my stage3+magnaflow

TANABE UPDATE:
Ok so i guess this exhaust started to settle a bit, I can hear it start to gurgle while reving at lower rpms, also it got A LOT MORE quiet, I LOVE IT! You can still tell tehres an exhaust on, but i meant the drone is almost gone, outside sounds the same as the clip, just no hum
Old 08-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

thanks for the info, ib18. lol you guys know way more than I do.

I can't wait to check out the clips.

anyway, what was the price for each install + parts? I want to get an idea of the average cost.

what kind of piping did you guy use each time/install?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:54 PM
FizzyStatus!

damm stillhere, no need for books? lucky man lol im waiting to spend over 500 on books next week...so im done with exhaust modding, im not sure if urs will sound any diff ffrom mine since im not a stage 3 andymore...more like...stage...1.5 O_O
ahha but goodluck on it

haha enigmaos, hope ur not calling my an exhaust guru, because im not...i just spend to much money haha, just check out teh clips, if u dont want a loud droney exhaust...do not do magnaflow muffler + stage3 set up, i went deaf so i had to switch it ASAP.

Tanabes have the big tips to i dont think ull like that either...what u can do is prob get the magnaflow 14" mufflers then use ur stock midmuffler + a dynomax resonator, itll drone just a bit...but not much as my stage3+magnaflow

TANABE UPDATE:
Ok so i guess this exhaust started to settle a bit, I can hear it start to gurgle while reving at lower rpms, also it got A LOT MORE quiet, I LOVE IT! You can still tell tehres an exhaust on, but i meant the drone is almost gone, outside sounds the same as the clip, just no hum

Haha, Sounds real good man! and maybe if you want, when you're bored, not really doing anything, probably like now, you could make another clip, haha kidding!, well you can make a clip if you're in the mood haha

Oh, btw, I wonder what mine is going to sound like, I mean if i use the stage 3 with the TopSpeed N1's. Hope it's not overwhelmingly loud like your previous magnaflow setup

enigmous-haha yeah that G35 does sound bad ass. What you can do if you want a somewhat subtle setup is get the resonator swapped with the dynomax one. You can swap mufflers but theyle have larger tips such as ib18c1 who has a really sick setup, you can try that. People have tried HKS mufflers as well and they sound good, but the same large tips. I'm getting my topspeed n1's this weekend hopefully and ill probably be making a clip for that, so stay tuned!
Old 08-30-2007, 01:57 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

dude b18 so needs to make another vid after 1 week... and title it 7 days later... lol
Old 08-30-2007, 01:58 PM
FizzyStatus!

...hahahah serious.

yo stillhere, I'm looking forward to your exhaust setup too, especcially on a Type S
Old 08-30-2007, 03:25 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

yeah man seems like I am the only dude with a type s who hates those damn 4 tips
Old 08-30-2007, 03:45 PM
FizzyStatus!

haha WHAT!? really?!I didnt know you didnt like the quads haha

Question though..would swapping out the mufflers really lose alot of torque or just a little?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:47 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

I wouldn't believe so, because if it did why would people buy the evoII setup
Old 08-30-2007, 03:52 PM
FizzyStatus!

I didnt think so either, and I was hoping not but look:

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/carfax-pleeze-d-165732/
Old 08-30-2007, 03:59 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

that is pure speculation... do what I do... pick a spot of highway... go balls out till you get to the first exit, then look down at what rpms and what speed you are and in what gear... do the exhaust mod then repeat the above... I bet you it will be the same

I installed the cold air intake from fujita yesterday and did this... I got to the exit with a full 20mph gain... 100 w/out 120 with cai...

ps. this is in no way or form an approved form of testing your car and daily conditions vary... but it has shown how my mods work...

double ps. when I did the stage 3 it was the same 100mph

tripple ps. until now everything I have done to the car I end at 100, and the stretch has a slight incline
Old 08-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

ps. this is in no way or form an approved form of testing your car and daily conditions vary...
works better in video games
Old 08-30-2007, 04:11 PM
FizzyStatus!

that is pure speculation... do what I do... pick a spot of highway... go balls out till you get to the first exit, then look down at what rpms and what speed you are and in what gear... do the exhaust mod then repeat the above... I bet you it will be the same

I installed the cold air intake from fujita yesterday and did this... I got to the exit with a full 20mph gain... 100 w/out 120 with cai...
ps. this is in no way or form an approved form of testing your car and daily conditions vary... but it has shown how my mods work...

double ps. when I did the stage 3 it was the same 100mph

tripple ps. until now everything I have done to the car I end at 100, and the stretch has a slight incline
God damn!

Yeah I might have to check it out, it's not really a big deal if I lose a minuscule amount of performance, it's not like I'm gonna be going to the track anyways.

But stillehere, haha you just inspired me to buy a CAI soon. After the rims ofcourse
Old 08-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Former Sponsor

ok i went out and did a new video...this one is a bit longer ahha hope u enjoy it!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nExBI4lRc34 <-----------------

anywho....i felt a slight decrease in torque with the tanabe/magnaflows. The car kinda struggles from a dead stop with 25% pressure on the gas pedal. Definitely a noticeable high end gain. I have a G-Timer, I will try it out sometime when theres no cops around (lately theyre everywhere errr).

The Tanabe in the video is louder since i drove for 3hrs before recording the video ahha. But in the morning and after it cools down its actually pretty quiet. Even if it is warmed up it's still not as loud as the magnaflows

I thought i heard it gurgle a bit...but i was wrong...sorry
damn the weather sucks so much in socal right now....im not a fan of hot weather...I'm sure if it were a cooler climate the exhaust wouldnt warm up and be this loud....i think.

Quick Reply: Stage 3 with upgraded muffler?