Spec Flywheel Issue???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spec Flywheel Issue???

Hello all,

please forgive me. I have done only a little research and come up with very little but I think this is my problem.

I have an 09 V6 3.5L Accord with a 6MT. I purchased a Spec Clutch because the previous owner was an idiot and still able to burn it so that it was slipping on me after 72K. While I was down there getting things worked on I have the slave cylinder replaced with one I pulled the delay valve out of. Thanks to you all, I knew what to do. But I wanted to get rid of the stupid dual mass flywheel and I went with SPEC's single mass aluminum flywheel. Now ever thing was going great. It all bolted up nicely according to the Honda Tech and then he started it.

There was a noise that could of awaken the dead. To me, sounded like the starter was not able to disengage or some weird way a gear in the trans striped. After doing some research tonight with my awesomely pathetic loaner Civic compared to my Accord, I have found that there is some issues with the SPEC flywheel. HOWEVER, I have not found much except the following thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/spec-fw-sa40a-2-06tl-question-837273/

This is also the same part number I got for my flywheel. My concern is this noise that is here in which this member is talking about, is it the starter not disengaging? Is there something I should look for to replace on the starter? I am just at a lose currently.

Typically, I would be all over something like this on my own. However I have a Toyota project that is taking up my garage which has taken room away for me to do this.

I understand your all's frustration at this thread, but I would greatly appriciate the information and knowledge you all have.

Thank you
Old 12-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
Sounds like the ring gear is different
Old 12-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Intermediate

I don't thing the ring gear is wrong. Again, I wasn't in the shop to see everything so I am posting a little blind. But I remember pretty well. I am wondering if there is a spacer that usually goes between the flywheel and the crank and that needs to get pulled out. I can't find it in my part look ups.

I mean to the people that have SPEC flywheels does this look right? It starts fine with no grinding or anything just seems like the starter gear is still on the flywheel after it starts.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

I know I am not an Acura person. However, the J35A8 and the J35Z3 are really similar from what I have found thus far. The main case being the LUK Industries manufacturing our clutch and DMF. What I can see, even though it is getting harder to find, LUK's part number for the 07-08 Type S is the same as the 08-09 Accord. Which by Honda's part numbers remains constant all the way up to 2012.

LUK Inc. DMF105

My question is this. Since our SPEC and LUK part numbers are the same I would assume that I should be able to us the Clutchmaster flywheel. I am not going back to a DMF ever again. It was horrible and when it failed, it burned the crap on the flywheel side of my clutch. I only have 72K on my car, 30K which are mine, I do not know what the woman before me drove like. Possible used all the safety mechanisms, delay valve, velocity ring, and dual mass to be able to drive the car. The old shift and drop technique. Being said, since I have the SPEC stick with them to see if they will honor their product? Or if they flake on me to go after a clutchmaster or AASCO?

SPEC: SA40A-2
CLUTCHMASTER: FW040-AL
AASCO:103216-11

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 135 Posts
Id bet on that gear ring being wrong too...
Old 12-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Wouldn't be the first time they fucked up.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

That is what I am starting to see.... The SPEC ring gear is constantly wrong...Anyone know exactly what is wrong or why it wont mesh with the starter? I kind of want to punch them in the face because SPEC is a well known company and this issue is well known by now too... I have purchased however better products from other companies that are less known and it seems that this is a constant, pardon my language, but fuck up.

Should of done a little more research and spent the extra 200 on the clutchmaster flywheel it seems.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
No idea call spec and tell them you have issue. They were suppose to ask u to send in hour stock flywheel to make sure. I think CM learned their lession. Why can't SPECs?