Shifter Bushing Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 09:46 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter Bushing Install

Last week, there was a guy here selling shifter bushings for the 6mt. I'm not sure if I can post his name here since he was banned and not a paying vendor, so I'll let someone else do it or wait for a mod to confirm.

I've had a few PMs about the install, so I figured I would post a thread here. The only pic I really have of it is below. If someone wants to post a pic of the parts laid out flat, I could probably work up a better DIY with photoshop.

1. Remove factory airbox and battery in order to get access to the bushings. I removed the bolts on the fusebox, too, so that I could push it out of the way and get a bit more access.
2. Once you find the two shifter bushings, which are pretty much straight below the throttle body, follow the cables back about 3 inches and you'll see a metal bracket with 3 bolts. Remove these 3 bolts to free the bracket so that you don't kink the cables.
3. Remove the cotter pin or cut it off with a dremel. You will throw it away so you really don't have to worry about salvaging it.
4. Pull the endlink off the pin in the middle and then pry the bushing out.
5. Put some anti-seize lubricant on the outside and inside of the new bushing and place it into the endlink.
6. Next you will need to put on the C-clip on the top edge of the bushing to keep it from backing out. For the larger bushing, you will need a pair of snap-ring pliers. I do not own any, so I improvised with two pair of pliers and determination, but I wouldn't recommend it. The C-clip for the smaller bushing can be popped on with regular pliers.
7. Insert and secure the cotter pin.
8. Repeat steps 3-7 for the other bushing.
9. Reassemble in reverse order.

A. Small Shifter bushing
B. Large shifter bushing
C. One of three (other two not pictured) bolts for the cable housing bracket that needs to be removed to prevent the linkage lines from kinking when doing the install.

EDIT
Here is a pic of the kit from the site. I can say that the larger clip in the photo is not what I received. I recieved a snap ring for the larger bushing, which servers the same purpose and is probably a bit more secure. The smaller clip is a C-clip, as pictured in the photo below.

DOUBLE-EDIT
Evidently he REALLY pissed off the mods, because I can't link to his site. There's a redirect to usa.com, which I find hilarious. So you'll have to do your own research to find the seller.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by ITL
Evidently he REALLY pissed off the mods, because I can't link to his site.
He pissed the admin off, which is much worse than pissing off the mods. He continued to abuse our hospitality by generating business without making any attempt to sign on as a vendor. This site is free to our members due to advertising and vendor revenues. Our rates are not unfair or exorbitant, and they are tailored to the product and the amount of business generated. His constant procrastination of paying his fees resulted in his being banned from the site. We appreciate your understanding in this matter.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:58 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Wow, I figured it was something significant with the redirect and all.

I am highly impressed with such a cheap, easy, quality mod. Thanks for the input. It's a shame that he wasn't more serious about his business here.

I'm sure collections can be quite a hassle sometimes.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Racer

What do these do?
Old 09-30-2006, 03:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
I believe they make your shifts feel a lot more precise and solid. Get's rid of the mushy feeling.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:16 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
They're a great mod. Good bang for the buck. If you checkout the scionlife.com boards and do a search you should find some potential sources for the bushings. The RSX bushings fit on the TL.

http://www.scionlife.com
Old 09-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Is there a link for someone who DOES support this site and sells the bushings? I was really interested in buying the bushings and I know which guy got banned but now that I know what the issue was I'd really prefer to get stuff from people who support this site versus leeching.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:36 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Ask the RSX guys who else makes bushings for their cars...A few people have said that the RSX bushings fit the TL.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Shift_faster

^ Are the new bushings made out of different material?

How is the shifting now? Did you also use the RSX bushings? Name of the manufacturer?
Old 09-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=375070
Old 09-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Racer

Who else here has this installed? I haven't heard much about this but if others have installed the RSX ones sold at http://www.speed-source.net/products/shifter_cable.htm I may look into it...
Old 01-11-2007, 10:54 AM
07 NBP TL-S

Got my shifter bushing from MrHeeltoe yesterday and installed them this morning. The info in post 1 helped a lot; hardest part was taking out the battery, air box and moving the fuse box out of the way. At least I have a clue what I'm facing when I put in a CAI.

A couple of problems that I ran into...

The cotter pins that were sent with my new bushings were too large (in diameter) to fit into the pins, so I just put my original ones back on. Glad I didn't mangle 'em up when I took them out.

Also the large bushing took some coercion with a hammer and a six inch socket extension to get it into the endlink. The small one slid right in, but the large on was a PITA.

I smeared some white lightning lubricant on "liberally" before the install and then wiped away the excess after.

It seems to slide into gear a little better (I already have the Comptech Short Shifter installed) but I need more time to find out for sure. Thanks to ITL for the original write-up, and to TLFourplay for recommending it.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:46 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverStoneTTL
Who else here has this installed? I haven't heard much about this but if others have installed the RSX ones sold at http://www.speed-source.net/products/shifter_cable.htm I may look into it...
I was one of the first to do the install. product. Don't hesitate, they're only $30, and take 20 minutes to install. It's the perfect comlpement to the Comptech SS kit.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:31 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by jonathan.chance
Thanks to ITL for the original write-up
Glad it was useful.

Originally Posted by Kennedy
It's the perfect comlpement to the Comptech SS kit.
Yep, it should come with the SS kit.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
When you guys say that the shifter bushing make your shifts feel a lot more precise and solid. Get's rid of the mushy feeling. Do you mean the shifter itself, or the way the gears grab?
Old 01-12-2007, 06:56 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron A
He pissed the admin off, which is much worse than pissing off the mods.
Crap, that's like "crossing the beams" or mixing matter with andt-matter.

Moderators...Like unarmed, campus police driving in 3 wheeled "Cushman" carts.
Administrators ... Like Navy seals with "plausibly deniable" weapons in scary transports.

I'm just messing with you Ron..... you guys keep the peace and help us all out greatly.

Back on topic I'm interested in more feedback about the bushings. Seems easy enough to do but I'm sceptical that there really is that much of a difference. Or if the difference is in an area that matters enough. (without the short shifter kit)
Old 01-12-2007, 07:38 PM
8 second & 150 mph member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bushings + Short throw = shifter feel like internal rail transmission w/ short shifter ie... mustang, camaro, etc...
Old 01-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hey guys

i'm out on my driveway right now trying to pry off the rubber bushing. I'm not having any success prying them off. What techniques did you guys used to get these off? Also, I can't seem to reach the 3 bolts that are holding the metal bracket down. How did you guys get these bolts off? I'm about to give up doing these bushings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 01-21-2007, 08:37 PM
07 NBP TL-S

Originally Posted by tonester
hey guys

i'm out on my driveway right now trying to pry off the rubber bushing. I'm not having any success prying them off. What techniques did you guys used to get these off? Also, I can't seem to reach the 3 bolts that are holding the metal bracket down. How did you guys get these bolts off? I'm about to give up doing these bushings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Don't give up!!!

For me the, larger bushing was a little difficult - Make sure that you use a flat tip screwdriver to separate the bushing from the part that secures it into the end link. I don't know the name of this piece, but when it's installed it forms the top of the bushing and the center slides into the bushing. Once I removed the "un-named piece" I used the same flat tip screwdriver to push the edge of the bushing through the end link. Once I got it started it wasn't that hard. The smaller bushing was a lot easier.

The three bolts in the back were difficult to get to but with the right sized extension it's do-able. Rotating the fuse box out of the way helps a lot.

Hope this helps...
Old 01-21-2007, 08:42 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

I stuck a screwdriver in the center of the bushing and then twisted until one of the ends pop loose. It takes some angle and force.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

let us know your review of it
Old 01-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Instructor

My day ended with an unsuccessful attempt to remove the rubber bushing. After I removed the cotton pin, the round plastic piece on top of the bushing came off w/o any effort. I noticed on the actual rubber bushing, there's a metal center piece (jonathan.chance, is this the piece you're referring to?) Since I wasn't able to remove the 3 anchoring bolts, I was afraid to put too much force in prying out the rubber bushing w/o bending the shifter cable. I didn't remove the fusebox because I noticed there's another group of wiring harness right above where the anchor was. Did you guys move that cluster out of the way also?

Well, at least my day wasn't 100% unsuccessful, I was also doing my AEM CAI install at the same time. I will try to do the bushing install again in a couple of weeks.

For those of you who did the install, was the difference that noticeable? I already have the comptech SS install and thought maybe this little mod will give it some more "pep" to the shifts.

thanks
Old 01-22-2007, 12:36 PM
07 NBP TL-S

My day ended with an unsuccessful attempt to remove the rubber bushing. After I removed the cotton pin, the round plastic piece on top of the bushing came off w/o any effort. I noticed on the actual rubber bushing, there's a metal center piece (jonathan.chance, is this the piece you're referring to?) Since I wasn't able to remove the 3 anchoring bolts, I was afraid to put too much force in prying out the rubber bushing w/o bending the shifter cable. I didn't remove the fusebox because I noticed there's another group of wiring harness right above where the anchor was. Did you guys move that cluster out of the way also?

Well, at least my day wasn't 100% unsuccessful, I was also doing my AEM CAI install at the same time. I will try to do the bushing install again in a couple of weeks.

For those of you who did the install, was the difference that noticeable? I already have the comptech SS install and thought maybe this little mod will give it some more "pep" to the shifts.

thanks
naw - I was talking about the round plastic piece on top of the bushing that you took off without any effort.

When I did mine I just unclipped and unbolted the fusebox and rotated it out of the way. I know what you mean about the cluster of wires coming out of it - but no worries; it'll be ok.

For me the difference wasn't SUPER noticeable; but there is a difference. I did the bushing change about 2 weeks after I installed my Comtech SS. It does feel a little crisper and less sloppy - word of warning my adjectives didn't get you very far in describing the plastic piece on the bushing!!! My bushings were less than 3 weeks old when I replaced them so the rubber didn't really have much give to it. But I'm happy that I did it.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Instructor

jonathan.chance: thanks for your info. I will try this install again.

btw, does anyone have a picture w/ their new brass bushings installed?
Old 01-22-2007, 09:26 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

jonathan.chance: thanks for your info. I will try this install again.

btw, does anyone have a picture w/ their new brass bushings installed?
yeah, I do. First post of this thread
Old 01-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Instructor

when you guys popped out the rubber bushings, did you popped them out from the top or bottom? does it make a difference?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:18 PM
07 NBP TL-S

I pushed mine out through the bottom of the end link; but I seriously doubt that it makes a difference.

I don't think that it matters how you put the new bushings in either. ie c-clip on top/bottom. Hell, my large bushing was such a pain in the ass to get in it'll never come out again anyway.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

well, i finally did the install yesterday. I used a technique posted by someone on the spyderchat forum and it worked like a charm to get the rubber bushings off.

He threaded a nut and washer combo on the end of a carriage bolt, then slipped that through the inner sleeve of the OEM bushing. By grabbing the end of the bolt with pliers, he twisted the bushing out just like popping a beer cap.

I also sprayed some WD40 under the lip of the rubber bushing prior to help lubricate them. I also didn't have to remove the 3 bolts of the anchor. I just applied enough force to hold the endlinks in place while i popped the bushings out.

Props to the guy who posted the DIY on spyderchat.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:35 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

what's spyderchat?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:45 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by ITL
what's spyderchat?
Probably the Mitsubishi Spyder equivalent to Acurazine.

I used the same technique desribed above with a simple screwdriver. Just have to apply a bit of force.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Instructor

spyderchat is a toyota MR-S spyder forum
Old 02-05-2007, 07:02 PM
07 NBP TL-S

well, i finally did the install yesterday.

Glad you got it all worked out...
Old 02-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Real Estate Investor

so where do i get these bushings?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Instructor

www.speed-source.net

I didn't really noticed any added difference w/ these new brass bushings. I already have the comptech SS installed in my car.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:26 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

weird, I noticed quite a difference in mine. But didn't really notice them after installed in Warren803's car. Same setup with the SS; however, I think he drives like my grandma and has fewer miles...I beat it up pretty regularly.

the only thing I can think of is that I had put some wear on my bushings ???
Old 02-06-2007, 09:27 PM
07 NBP TL-S

Originally Posted by neef
so where do i get these bushings?
I got mine from MrHeeltoe - he's one of our vendors here on the forum. Great guy and speedy shipping.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

so what are people's updated review on this? worth it or not?

also what is the dampener thingy that the 6spds have that cause that bungie-cord feeling when shifting? or part no? i can't find the thread with this info... any down sides to removing this? how long would that take and how difficult? thanks
Old 03-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

hmmm... so i'm guessing that all the smart people have taken the day off?...
Old 03-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Instructor

HQTL6SPD: look at my above post (#28) regarding the trick to popping the stock bushings off. It works like a charm. As for a shifting difference w/ the brass bushings, I don't feel any difference. Unless, you're really rough on the shifts, your stock rubber bushings are probably just as good as these brass bushings.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:35 AM
07 NBP TL-S

I gotta agree with the tonester. I don't feel any significant difference either.

Quick Reply: Shifter Bushing Install