View Poll Results: Boot Option Show Below If It Could Be Done On The TL...
Sure...looks kind of cool.
66.67%
Never...wouldnt consider it!
20.00%
Maybe for a Honda...Not for an Acura...nuff said!
13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

AT Shifter Boot Mod Idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 11:39 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
AT Shifter Boot Mod Idea

Here's the scoop. Not even sure it would be that great of an idea....but hey....something to throw out there to BS about on a Saturday night anyway! Here goes....many people like the look of a shifter with a boot on it. The idea is to mix/match the automatic transmission and manual transmission escutcheon plates....add a manual shifter boot to the automatic...and reassemble. OK....not sure it is even feasible or possible....but saw it on a Honda (and I do have to admit...the auto shifter is WAY more generic and less fancy than the Acura one....nonetheless...just for conversations sake I guess....) Could this be done>

Here it is pictured on a Honda complete....although now that I am thinking of it...I bet that Honda does not have the extra SS gate...but you could do this if you wanted I bet...

Now later in this example here...they trimmed the length of the shifter to make it shorter too.....but anyway...back to the discussion....forget it...changed pic...this is the short version they show...got me thinking though...is this possible and what would this look like on the TL model? Again.....the Honda this shows has one of those cheese plastic one gate shifters...so this is a huge improvement for the Honda...and may not be such a good idea for the TL...but crap...just for conversation sake? Here is the pic of the disassembled unit so you can see the type of shifter they are hiding there....

So you can see this is a big improvement for them....and may not be so good for the automatics on the TL's cause they do have nice chrome trim, ect. BUT....just for a different look and for conversation sake...could this be done on the TL and would it be functional?

Drawback.....wouldnt have the lighted gear selector deal showing.....might even have to delete it altogether? But...there is the selector readout on the dash that still reads whats what isnt there? I dont know....dont even know if this is something I would want to do...just thought it was worth tossing out there for a conversation anyway>? Discuss?
Old 03-18-2006, 11:49 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Dont think its too bad. I know some people might want to keep the auto look with all the display and shit but I think that cleans it up a bit.

I love it on my MANUAL.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Saturday night? Mike

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=shift+boot
Old 03-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks Like a good Idea, but not for me

I voted 'not on a Acura', but I can see how some may like the mod. If I could change somthing around the shifter, I would change the silver shift plate to another material/color. The auto shifter looks good as, but the silver doesn't completly match the brushed aluminum right next to it (or the carbon fiber under it). I have quartz interior and every other material/color matches in the cabin. I hope i'm making sense, its a hard call on that shifter. Maybe it should be brushed aluminum.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:22 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
Ya...it was late/early! I was surfin and ran across this...didnt realize somebody had actually done this on a TL already. I saw it on another board being applied to a Honda...which, honestly, as you can see...is a better option for them as they have the cheezy plastic look. Just kind of got me to thinking.....

But ya....crap....gotta find something else to do! Especially after seeing that yellow boot that guy put on there....WOW!
Old 03-20-2006, 03:11 PM
G35Killerrr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was planning to do it on my TL b4 but my fd had a TL told me is kind "Bimmer wanna be"

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Here's the scoop. Not even sure it would be that great of an idea....but hey....something to throw out there to BS about on a Saturday night anyway! Here goes....many people like the look of a shifter with a boot on it. The idea is to mix/match the automatic transmission and manual transmission escutcheon plates....add a manual shifter boot to the automatic...and reassemble. OK....not sure it is even feasible or possible....but saw it on a Honda (and I do have to admit...the auto shifter is WAY more generic and less fancy than the Acura one....nonetheless...just for conversations sake I guess....) Could this be done>

Here it is pictured on a Honda complete....although now that I am thinking of it...I bet that Honda does not have the extra SS gate...but you could do this if you wanted I bet...

Now later in this example here...they trimmed the length of the shifter to make it shorter too.....but anyway...back to the discussion....forget it...changed pic...this is the short version they show...got me thinking though...is this possible and what would this look like on the TL model? Again.....the Honda this shows has one of those cheese plastic one gate shifters...so this is a huge improvement for the Honda...and may not be such a good idea for the TL...but crap...just for conversation sake? Here is the pic of the disassembled unit so you can see the type of shifter they are hiding there....

So you can see this is a big improvement for them....and may not be so good for the automatics on the TL's cause they do have nice chrome trim, ect. BUT....just for a different look and for conversation sake...could this be done on the TL and would it be functional?

Drawback.....wouldnt have the lighted gear selector deal showing.....might even have to delete it altogether? But...there is the selector readout on the dash that still reads whats what isnt there? I dont know....dont even know if this is something I would want to do...just thought it was worth tossing out there for a conversation anyway>? Discuss?