Rotora???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 03:17 AM
08 TL Type S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rotora???

i'm thinking to change my stock rotors for drilled/slotted rotors, but couldn't find anyone is selling a really good brand like Brembo, i know many ppl here are using Rotora's, but is it really worth it? cuz i've heard its made in China... anyone got good/bad experience about Rotora? or any other good brand suggestion? thanks.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
azine sponsoring vendor Excelerate carries brembo and Rotora
If you do basic driving, blank rotors are fine
If you do some repeated heavy use of the brakes like in the mountains, slotted are good because they give the expanding hot pad gasses an escape path.
If you autocross race, live in torrential downpour rain areas, then crossdrilled would be a bonus. They have advantage in those situations, otherwise they are just costly and look cool

Whats your budget?- really good front rotors and pads designed to work with those rotors are about $350
Basic stuff, you can find rotors for 50 bucks and pads for the same, but they wont last as long and may have a greater tendancy to warp under heat stress
Centric is another good brand mid priced brand- so is Stoptech, same company iirc
Old 09-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Team Owner

check the Off Topic link- Sponsored Sales threads for post by Excelerate and MrHeelToe for brake packages
Old 09-27-2008, 01:41 PM
08 TL Type S

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
check the Off Topic link- Sponsored Sales threads for post by Excelerate and MrHeelToe for brake packages
i did checked with Excelerate, they recommand me to get Rotora's and MrHeelToe recommand me to get Racing brake 2 piece, but which i think is too expensive. so thats why i'm considering Rotora, just dono if its good...
Old 09-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Team Owner

many ziners are running rotora- I didnt realize you has a 6 speed car, that totally changes whats available down to - not very much
RacingBrake has the awesome 2 piece rotor- pay more now but when it eventually needs a new rotor ring- it unbolts from the hub and a new one bolts on- about 175 per ring iirc-- but they dont make a 1 piece normal style rotor
Their rotor ring should last 3 sets of pads before replacement based on their other rotors wear so far

Rotora makes a 1 piece, normal type- slotted, or solid/blank rotor, that is good quality and in use by many ziners- those are the 2 most popular for p[erformance oriented drivers.
You did not mention race type use, so ceramic pads will give the least dust but lesser braking abilty
or the semi met pads will give more bite with resultant dust
Wax the rims with synthetic car wax to cut down on that problem~
Old 09-27-2008, 03:42 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
so many choices but racingbrake are def the best out, there is also stoptech (identical to rotora)... brembo's website also has part #'s for their slotted or drilled replacement rotors

when you search, forget that you have a type s, search via a 04-06 6speed, otherwise you'll be wasting your time
Old 09-27-2008, 05:41 PM
08 TL Type S

many ziners are running rotora- I didnt realize you has a 6 speed car, that totally changes whats available down to - not very much
RacingBrake has the awesome 2 piece rotor- pay more now but when it eventually needs a new rotor ring- it unbolts from the hub and a new one bolts on- about 175 per ring iirc-- but they dont make a 1 piece normal style rotor
Their rotor ring should last 3 sets of pads before replacement based on their other rotors wear so far

Rotora makes a 1 piece, normal type- slotted, or solid/blank rotor, that is good quality and in use by many ziners- those are the 2 most popular for p[erformance oriented drivers.
You did not mention race type use, so ceramic pads will give the least dust but lesser braking abilty
or the semi met pads will give more bite with resultant dust
Wax the rims with synthetic car wax to cut down on that problem~
thanks for the info, how about the Rotora BBK? is it worth to get it or just get the rotors?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by amk6453
thanks for the info, how about the Rotora BBK? is it worth to get it or just get the rotors?
It depends on what you're looking for. Upgraded rotors, a good set of pads like Hawk Ceramics or ROTORA ceramics, SS brake lines and some MOTUL DOT 5.1 will get you much improved braking. A ROTORA BBK will improve braking even further and also be much more resistant to brake fade and warping due to the larger diameter of the disc, curved vanes, 4 piston caliper, etc
Old 09-29-2008, 11:02 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
^^ Excelerate, Just a heads up, I'm going to be hitting you up soon for a set of F/R drilled and slotted rotoras & pads.

71K on factory rotors/pads.. trying to hold out for as long as I possibly can!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Excelerate
It depends on what you're looking for. Upgraded rotors, a good set of pads like Hawk Ceramics or ROTORA ceramics, SS brake lines and some MOTUL DOT 5.1 will get you much improved braking. A ROTORA BBK will improve braking even further and also be much more resistant to brake fade and warping due to the larger diameter of the disc, curved vanes, 4 piston caliper, etc

Matter of fact I just made that same order pretty much.. combo Rotora rotors, rotora pads, SS brake lines, 5.1 brake fluid. Thanks again Excelerate! Cant wait to get my car out of its 15 month storage and get this stuff on!!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Tom, they should be lasting longer than this. I'd say 2-3 sets of pads between resurfacing. And you could resurface 2-3 times on these also.

The Racingbrakes cost more because they are really good quality, harder material, and higher performance. They pay off in the long run. The rotoras may be better than stock, but not significantly as far as we have seen. We are not seeing major longevity or performance differences between any conventional 1-piece rotors.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
The Racingbrakes cost more because they are really good quality, harder material, and higher performance. They pay off in the long run. The rotoras may be better than stock, but not significantly as far as we have seen. We are not seeing major longevity or performance differences between any conventional 1-piece rotors.
Marcus, you really need to compare apples to apples. Of course a 2 pc disc with curved vanes is going to perform better than a 1 pc disc but the 1 pc discs are about 1/4 of the cost of the 2 pc disc. However, the RB 1 pc disc is not going to last any longer or outperform the ROTORA 1 pc disc. And besides the longevity of a rotor really depends on the pad material, the driver, the driving conditions, etc

Now I would have to agree a 2 pc disc will definitely be a better setup but what's the point of a 2 pc disc with inefficient 1 piston calipers on the base TL? You would want to upgrade that disc with something like the ROTORA mini 4 piston caliper setup that works with OE discs.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
If you're not tracking this car and it's just a daily driver, generic rotors will be fine. I would never recommend spending the extra $$ on RB or Rotura in this case.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:58 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
so i just foudn out since my rotors are slotted i can't resurface them?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
If you're not tracking this car and it's just a daily driver, generic rotors will be fine. I would never recommend spending the extra $$ on RB or Rotura in this case.
Actually that's not true either. You don't need to have a track car to upgrade your rotors. Generic rotors will be just as prone to warpage as the OE rotors. ROTORA, STOPTECH, RB 1 pc rotors are an inexpensive way to improve braking and longevity of the rotor.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
^^^Yes it is. You can buy generic rotors from one of many sources and they'll perform just fine for a daily driver. As an example, the bmw guys over at the M3 forum did a group buy from brakeplanet.com for generic oem replacement rotors and they are very pleased with the rotors.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
^^^Yes it is. You can buy generic rotors from one of many sources and they'll perform just fine for a daily driver. As an example, the bmw guys over at the M3 forum did a group buy from brakeplanet.com for generic oem replacement rotors and they are very pleased with the rotors.
To clarify I should say that in most cases generic rotors will be just to prone as warpage as OE rotors and they obviously won't outperform the stock rotors. There are some companies who make blank rotors like Brembo, Centric, ROTORA, that perform fine.

However, my original response to your initial statement is still true:

You don't need a track car to get slotted rotors. There are many street cars/ daily driven cars that require an upgrade from stock b/c the stock blanks and stock pads just can't keep up the with the customer's need for better braking.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:35 AM
Team Owner

to clarify my statements and understandings-and often misunderstanding- I have not been keeping up with brake parts availabilty per model recently, and things have changed

RB rotors- no one here has enough miles on the rotors to know how long they will really last.
Marcus experience is 3 sets of hawk pads and still going strong on test vehicle on same RB 1 piece rotors- last I heard

I believe discussion of 2 piece rotors is limited to the 6 speed Brembo brake gen3 TL
-for this thread, Im with josh on this- better calipers before worry about anything big
on the rotors
if you are gen2 with single piston calipers- in which case get 1995 Legend LS-C dual (same side) pistons- beats stock for 75$ each, but its not 700 or 1200

After you have attended several days and have been moved up to the advanced group at High Performace school/race-track days- then you need to think about badazz braking upgrades

IMO:
1 piece rotors are fine for most drivers- slotted rotors offer many advatages to even the person who thinks they are not hard on brakes- but they really are--doing many sudden slow downs with ~efforted braking~ that quickly raises the pad temps- causing release of gasses in pad, which the pressure of the EXPANDING HOT GASSES,,, can physically overpower the pedal hydraulic pressure effort, and PUSH the pads AWAY from the rotor- while your foot is still on the brake pedal hard!
Not a very comforting feel at the bottem of a steep hill and sudden need for brakes...then a semi decides to back out of a driveway....and you need more brakes
A main purpose of side slots is to give the gasses an escape route as the rotor turns.
It also keeps the pads clean of minor debris that likes to stick to them when hot
Each maker has their own idea of which way the slots should run, but the intent is the same.

On the RB 2 piece I was going on what I heard a year ago-
If the new info is they can go 3 sets of pads then be resurfaced then keep going- I am truely impressed! and really happy with my purchase!!
My 1 piece are looking good after a year+, some good pad wear on ET300s, but the rotors look nearly new. Next time will try ET500s
Lets see if the rotors go 3 sets then resurface- that will rock!!

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 10-02-2008 at 01:38 AM.