Removed Intake Resonator ('07 TL-S)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:25 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Removed Intake Resonator ('07 TL-S)

Hey all, I'm new here. I picked up a 07 TL Type-S a few months back to go back and forth to work in. I just sold my 10 CTS-V and am in the market for a sports car. However, just buying a house, getting married, and relocating has put my plans on hold for a few months. I've had Hondas/Acuras and a ton of sports cars. I love modifying cars and doing my own work.

I thought I'd highlight one thing on removing the intake resonator. I followed the guidance of others on here, really easy job. I would note that when you remove the bumper, there is an air guide attached to the grill. From the factory it guides the air up and into the chamber where the factory intake pluming is. I just took a dremel to it and cut the plastic that was guiding the air up so that it would go straight back. Not 100% will flow to the intake snout/tube but at least more cold air can move back towards the snout/tube.

Removed Intake Resonator ('07 TL-S)-yv4eeicl.jpg

Here's the snout/tube:
Removed Intake Resonator ('07 TL-S)-op9t8tnl.jpg

Here's a quick video (before/after):

The car is nice, I got a steal on it but it needed a few things and could have been cosmetically cared for better. Unfortunately it's an automatic. The first automatic I've ever had . My thought was in the DC traffic it would be nice but now I'm in NC and miss the heck out of a stick, especially with all the nice backroads around me. Well, hopefully a sports car will fix that soon!

Here's my car:
Removed Intake Resonator ('07 TL-S)-4vipfxfl.jpg
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 07:35 AM
Cruisin'

Given that it's an automatic and I'll have a sports car to play with soon, I'm keeping the mods basic. I just want to run this car into the ground.

- Stoptech Slotted Rotors/Pads
- A-Spec Suspension
- Progress Rear Sway Bar

And just a couple more pics of the car:
Removed Intake Resonator ('07 TL-S)-zon00ypl.jpg

Removed Intake Resonator ('07 TL-S)-ra8emacl.jpg

Removed Intake Resonator ('07 TL-S)-m1vioo5l.jpg
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Welcome and gratz

Big down grade in power coming from the CTS-V
Old 11-01-2015, 10:31 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome swift. You have the same car I do. Unmod'd silver 07-Type S with about 115k, except I do have a 6-speed. I too absolutely stole mine. Love it, love it. I bought mine last December and I don't spend a ton of time on the forum and frankly wasn't familiar with the intake resonator removal. I'll have to look into it. I've no mechanical skills whatsoever & the idea of removing bumper is a bit daunting. Never done it. But if this is a quick, cheap & easy way to gain a half a horse power and a half a decibel of sound I may take the plunge. Along those lines - the only thing I've done to mine is have that ridiculous "mid-muffler" removed. Can't recommend this highly enough. For forth bucks or so your car will sound 10x better. Go for that next.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Cruisin'

I've noticed it's a lot more audible with the window down (the change). Sorry for the newb question but is a K&N drop in filter available/recommended? I doubt I'll go with an intake since I'll save my modding for my sports car. I've owned a ton of sports cars (including a 911, M3, BRZ, RX7s), but am thinking of picking up an S2000. I just want something cheaper and reliable I can enjoy for now.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,308 Posts
K&N drop is is available but I just would not use it. I recently just toss a K&N filter in my lexus and go with OEM one instead.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by truonghthe
K&N drop is is available but I just would not use it. I recently just toss a K&N filter in my lexus and go with OEM one instead.
How come? I have an OEM filter in there now, works fine obviously but just wondering why you wouldn't recommend a K&N filter?
Old 11-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Instructor

I went ahead & removed mine (intake resonator) today. Being a low tech/no mech I was somewhat intimidated by the bumper removal process, but it wasn't all that bad. The design of the resonator is a horrible joke. I can't believe the way they have that thing snaked all up in there - only to grab hot air from the top of the engine compartment.

This was def. a good move. There's NO question is made an immediately noticeable change in the car's acceleration characteristics. As soon as I gave it just a little gas out of the driveway the difference in throttle responsiveness was evident.

As someone mentioned in a yesteryear thread, I cut a length from the section no longer in use to extend the tubing further downward, essentially creating more of a CAI effect. The sound change/increase is there but not drastic. Removing the mid-muff did more. I'm going to keep my eye on the blackmarket thread for a j-pipe and am thinking that between this DIY CAI + mid-muffler delete + after market j-pipe I'll probably be where I want to be for both sound and power production.

Very pleased with this move tho. And of course, the price was right.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:09 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Intake resonator replacement.

So, just got my 07 TL Type S and I'm trying to figure out all the mods I want to do to her.

A question for those that have done the resonator removal.
I was thinking of putting on one of those off-the-shelf cone air filters as a way to stop or limit water from entering the intake and getting to the air filter in the air box. (One of the Spectre type filters that is used in the d.i.y. kits from Autozone or O'Reilly's) Instead of just removing the resonator and having just the intake tube.

Spectre filter can be seen at this link:
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/800/865/865-8132.jpg

So, am I over thinking it?
Would having two filters restrict the air flow and negate the reason of removing the resonator?
For those looking for the sound change, would this change the sound?

Thanks guys,
Love the site and all the help and ideas
Old 11-10-2015, 07:02 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JFixit 07 TL.S
So, just got my 07 TL Type S and I'm trying to figure out all the mods I want to do to her.

A question for those that have done the resonator removal.
I was thinking of putting on one of those off-the-shelf cone air filters as a way to stop or limit water from entering the intake and getting to the air filter in the air box. (One of the Spectre type filters that is used in the d.i.y. kits from Autozone or O'Reilly's) Instead of just removing the resonator and having just the intake tube.

Spectre filter can be seen at this link:
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/800/865/865-8132.jpg

So, am I over thinking it?
Would having two filters restrict the air flow and negate the reason of removing the resonator?
For those looking for the sound change, would this change the sound?

Thanks guys,
Love the site and all the help and ideas
Yeah, you are over thinking it. You have the air filter in the box "up stream" from the resonator/tubing. You would literally have to drive into 3ft of water and hold full throttle for a few minutes to risk getting any water into your engine.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by swift996
Yeah, you are over thinking it. You have the air filter in the box "up stream" from the resonator/tubing. You would literally have to drive into 3ft of water and hold full throttle for a few minutes to risk getting any water into your engine.
ditto. As one who's guilty of frequent over-thinking myself I can confirm. Unless you live in a part of the world frequented by monsoons ...and then go out and drive in them, the filter in your stock airbox will never see a drop of moisture
Old 11-10-2015, 11:43 AM
Instructor

How come? I have an OEM filter in there now, works fine obviously but just wondering why you wouldn't recommend a K&N filter?
Anxious to see the answer to this question myself. In all my years of owning, modding, belonging to web forums, etc., I've never really heard anything 'bad' or negative about K&N's. Sure some will state that the switch to a K&N is over-rated in the sense that some have claimed a 10% hp increase by switching to K&N. Of course that's horsecrap; but aside from that I've never really heard "I just would not use it." Ever.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Cruisin'

^ Yeah, I don't really think it will make much of a performance difference. I just thought when it's time to replace my OEM one, if the K&N has a nice sound to it, might as well.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by DerrickW
Anxious to see the answer to this question myself. In all my years of owning, modding, belonging to web forums, etc., I've never really heard anything 'bad' or negative about K&N's. Sure some will state that the switch to a K&N is over-rated in the sense that some have claimed a 10% hp increase by switching to K&N. Of course that's horsecrap; but aside from that I've never really heard "I just would not use it." Ever.
Because K&N filters don't filter as well as stock/paper filters since they are higher flowing and you can't have both. That being said I don't think the K&N filters are as bad at filtering as some people make them out to be. Whether you use them or not depends on if you want to allow a bit more dirt to pass into your engine to chase 1-2 hp and some noise. Here's a good test that was done comparing the K&N to other filters: Air Filtration Test
Old 11-15-2015, 05:54 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Progress 24 mm rear bar is a nice addition, combined with the TL-S front bar handling is more neutral, a lot less push in turns.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Might as well do front sway bar too. Ideally H&R front & rear. Contrary to popular opinion TL is easy to oversteer if one has more brains (or instinct for you gifted drivers) than just turning the steering wheel and praying your car turns. And increasing rear roll resistance woudn't help that oversteer in any way. Especially in one of those tri-state back road area in NC SC TN borders. But each to their own.

As I wasn't gonna break my back doing it on my driveway I asked Asiaworks in Charlotte they said only $75 labor to replace front sway bar. That's heck of a lot better than ~4 hours under the car. I'm budgeting my holiday spendings right now.

--edit--
IIRC H&R front bar has 10mm hole as opposed to 12mm hole for type S. If you're gonna be drilling anyway, given that TL-S front bar is 27.2mm and H&R is 28mm you could just drill your OEM bar with another hole and call it a day... OEM adustable front sway bar ftw. But then again sway bars are just a twisty spring and spring wears over usage and... I'm gonna stop now

Last edited by 4drviper; 11-19-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:27 AM
Inexperienced Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the purpose of removing the intake resonator?
Old 02-04-2016, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
More intake sound is the only purpose . Think of it has a noise suppressor
Old 02-04-2016, 10:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Exadoraso
What's the purpose of removing the intake resonator?
Yeah pure sound, although all the bends and clunk Honda designed I'd assume you're getting better air flow. Doubt it makes a real difference though.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:04 PM
Inexperienced Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah pure sound, although all the bends and clunk Honda designed I'd assume you're getting better air flow. Doubt it makes a real difference though.
I see. Was the snout already there when you removed the intake resonator?