Removed the boat anchor. Noticed a difference.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Removed the boat anchor. Noticed a difference.

Since my car is likely getting traded in, I'm trying things with it that I usually wouldn't. I removed the boat anchor today. Went in from the top by removing the plastic cover near the radiator. Also removed the spare and jack and replaced with a super sized can of fix a flat. Removed 3rd cat in search for better mileage.

So far, in all of my searching, I'm the only one that can feel a difference in vibration. It only happens at idle. No difference in park or neutral. When I put it in gear it seems to have a very slight extra engine vibration. It's when the AC kicks on that the difference is noticable. For me there's no doubt about it, there's flat out more engine vibration. Going to make my trip to Vegas and back before I decide if I'm going to put it back on or not.

As far as performance, it seems like the car changes direction easier but I have to wonder if it's my imagination since this piece is less than 10lbs, even if it is way out in the front of the car.

I doubt people with manuals would notice a vibration difference, if these even came on the manual models.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:54 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Hmmm, someone else on here removed it and said that the handling did infact get better. I wouldnt think it would make that big of a difference.

BTW- You're trading the TL in?! Hope you're getting a TL-S haha it's good to have you here
Old 09-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ballinfizzle89
Hmmm, someone else on here removed it and said that the handling did infact get better. I wouldnt think it would make that big of a difference.

BTW- You're trading the TL in?! Hope you're getting a TL-S haha it's good to have you here
"S" it is! Just waiting for the dealer to come down on the price. I might test drive the 335 bimmer over to the Acura dealer and show him what I'm in the process of buying lol.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:09 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
hahaha that'd be hilarious
Old 09-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I respect the conservative approach of not underestimating the power of suggestion. However, for me, nearly all of my early "discoveries" were as a complete surprise. Thus, I did not have the "power of suggestion" to distort my perception.

When I removed my anchor, it was for the purpose of getting that ugly rusted thing off of my clean car. I too was surprise that I could feel a difference. But, to me, it was undeniable. There was a difference in how the car felt while throwing it into a turn. If you don't push the car hard (in this case, throwing it around), you Won't feel a difference... because there is NO difference in the handling while "putt putting" around.

And, to be honest, me removing the anchor and unexpectedly feeling the difference is what gave birth to my "TL Diet" addiction.

Here is another surprise that I recently experienced. Those that read my TL Diet thread know that I recently removed my rear seat. I had NO expectations that it would make the car more easy to throw into a turn. From my first quick turn during my first test drive, I easily noticed that I could feel the car much easier to throw into a turn. How can weight that is centered over the "rear axle" be felt up front ??? Hell, I don't know how to explain it. But, it is UNDENIABLE none the less.

By the way, I like the slight increase in vibration. It gives the car a more masculine feel. I like to know that my engine is running without having to glance at the tach to see if the tach is sitting at zero.

For those naysayers that claim weight reduction can Not be felt, please tell it to this member that COULD FEEL the opposite.

I feel like i'm driving a tank, 2006 5AT (click here)
Old 09-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by I hate cars
So far, in all of my searching, I'm the only one that can feel a difference in vibration. It only happens at idle.....
You overlooked my comments on Page 1 of the "TL Diet" thread.

Putting the TL on a diet (click here)

Originally Posted by me on page 1 of TL Diet on 01-15-2007
From the looks of the anchor and the manner in which it is mounted to the car, and the locatiuon that it is mounted, I speculate that the purpose of this anchor is the minimize light vibration at idle.

When I removed mine, I notice no differences in the car that would give a clue in the purpose of the dampner. Perhaps I had a very slight increase in vibratation as the engine idled in gear. But, this smoothed out when I installed the UR Pulley. But, as far as removing it, the key point is that I have suffered no perceivable bad effects. But as discussed many times, I did notice that the car was easier to toss into turns around town. Not a huge difference, but if you are paying attention, you will probably notice. I did.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Safety Car

By the way, my post dated 11:24 PM was NOT directed at the author (I hate cars). It is directed at the general audience (lurkers).
Old 09-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Team Owner

I thought I felt a difference in tossability but figured it couldn't be with only 10lbs or so. Maybe it's the fact that it's right on the front of the car. The tests I did was to throw the car into a turn, almost violently, much harder than you would do in normal cornering. The car feels like it changes direction much easier, kind of like a smaller car. I did the same test earlier today with the damper on, once I made up my mind to remove it.

Also removed the spare tire and jack but the subs more than make up for it.

Going to make the trip back up to Vegas in a few hours. With the slight weight reduction and third convertor removed, I'm going to pay close attention to gas mileage.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:21 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you plan on 'unmodding' it before you trade it in?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Timmahh
Do you plan on 'unmodding' it before you trade it in?
It will be back to stock. The convertor might be kind of hard to do. I have a friend that owns a smog shop that will test it for free and I'll make sure it passes before getting rid of it. I ordered some misc interior pieces like the aluminum that runs up the center console and a couple interior panels that got scratched by the bodyshop. I'll install those right before I get rid of it. New owner gets the dynamat. Wish I could take back all those 3K synthetic oil changes...