Recent upgrades - tint, pedals, RSB

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Recent upgrades - tint, pedals, RSB

Well I finally started on the mods.

A little over a month ago I took the plunge and got tint. I went with the 3M Color Stable 35% all around. I got it done at Mothers here in Austin. They did a decent job and the tint looks good. 35% was the darkest I could go on the side windows and could do whatever on the back but I decided to make it uniform. Now that I've driven it I'm glad that I did not go darker on the back. I find it difficult to see sometimes at night even with the 35%. I had to take it back to them as after a month one window had tons of bubbles. They retinted it and it's fine. They didn't tint the entire small back windows but I can live with that. I chose not to do the moleskin right now. I roll down the driver's window several times a day to go into the parking garage at my office and I don't really ever roll down the other windows. If I do get a scratch I'll get the window retinted and get the moleskin.

Next was the pedals. I did some research around here and decided on the Ultimate Pedals as I don't think Supercomputers is ever gonna get his out. The Ultimate Pedals are a bit pricy but I really liked them. I ordered the shiny anti-slip without the grip inserts. They are plenty sticky enough. Even with wet shoes. They look awesome. Definitely spruces up the interior. Took my husband probably 15 minutes to put them on. Really easy.

Then last was the Comptech RSB. I ordered it from AofE for $105 shipped. Despite the instructions posted on here and the instructions from Comptech it took him almost 2 hours to get it installed. A lot of time was spent trying to get the car jacked up right. So he could get into position. He used the one tire off method but spent some time getting the old one out and feeding the new one into position. He greased the Comptech bushings before putting them on. It was raining the day he installed it so I didn't get to test it as well as I wanted and so on my first drive out I didn't think it did much, but then I got the chance to take it out on dry pavement and I definitely can tell the difference. It really does seem more stable in the turns. I plan to take it out this weekend on some pretty twisty road around here to really get a good test. Absolutely no thumping or squeaking although I see that the bushings can get eaten up during the course of time so we'll see, and if they do then I'll probably get those aftermarket ones everyone is getting now.

Pictures will come later. My car is filthy and it has been raining for the last 2 days and is suppose to rain for the rest of the week.

Coming soon later this year: A-spec suspension and Ron Jon Inspyres.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:29 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Ami, that's just wrong...post all of that wonderful info and no pics Shame on you! I hear you on the filthy car, though...rains at least twice a week here, so I rarely get a chance to wash it (no sense in washing if it's going to rain the next day). Guess I (and everybody else) will have to be patient on the pics

Oh yeah, you'll love the car even more with the ASPEC suspension...can't comment on improvements of it and the CT RSB separately as I did them at the same time, but together, it is a completely different car (hubby doing this one as well?).
Old 03-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Sorry, I almost waited to post until this weekend so I could include the pics but I have some downtime at work today so I thought I'd do the write up. Hopefully hubby will be doing the suspension install. It will definitely save us some money. He's done a suspension upgrade on his Camaro before so hopefully armed with the service manual and the instructions on here he'll be able to do it on the TL.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

He should be able to do it...I had never done anything like that before and managed to pull it off without any problems. I didn't even think the back seat was as hard as everyone makes it out to be. The hardest thing was just finding some of the bolts...once you know where they are, it's pretty simple.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

pics

OK. The rain washed off some of the dirt so I snapped a few pics of the tint and the pedals...

Old 03-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re

nice pedals, what company makes those?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:43 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
you have really clean interior carpets
Old 03-29-2006, 06:38 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

It looks very good! The pedals look really good with the quartz interior...like the car came with them.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:07 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Originally Posted by italian_spak
nice pedals, what company makes those?
A company called Ultimate Pedals makes them. It cost me $200 with shipping to get the three pedals. They are really light and seem to be made well.

http://www.ultimatepedals.com
Old 03-29-2006, 08:08 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Originally Posted by subinf
you have really clean interior carpets

I'm really obsessive about keeping things clean. Everyone who gets in my car comments on how clean the interior is.