Reasons NOT to get CAI...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 12:22 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Reasons NOT to get CAI...

If you drive like this for starters....DONT GET THE CAI! Most of us would never consider driving though something like this...but this is a textbook example of what NOT to drive through with a CAI. I found this in the net while watching another vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKU4Svn12Bg
Old 07-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I wouldn't drive through that if I didn't have a CAI. Funny thing, though...they're doing work on my street and have the gutter drains blocked...a monsoon came through the other day and one of the lanes of my street flooded...some people were smart and waited for the oncoming traffic to pass to cross the line and go around the flooding...many morons went right through it.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:12 PM
From Boost to Luxury

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He made it. thats amazing that he got through that. The car look lowered
Old 07-24-2006, 03:07 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,194 Likes on 3,975 Posts
That water wasn't that deep. Would that really go into a CAI? I see water like that all the time.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:53 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by pttl
That water wasn't that deep. Would that really go into a CAI? I see water like that all the time.
Well...thats a toss up PTTL.....willing to try and let us know? Seriously....if you drive through water about that deep or deeper....I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT with a CAI on. Especially under accelleration where you would be causing a large vaccum.

I just thought this was a good "BASIC GUIDELINE VIDEO" that I saw that could be used for kind of a judge for newbies that have this question. You might make it though this puddle.....maybe...IF you went REAL slow....but this would be about pushing it yes. You see when he accelerates and the car starts plowing water at the front side.....YOU DONT WANT THAT!! About three to six inches above that line is where your filter intake sits on a CAI unit like AEM or Injen. Start plowing water into the area...and YES....you are begging for trouble!~
Old 07-25-2006, 12:49 PM
I like to whistle in my

Ive seen this before many times...that is nothing. You should see a guy on the other acura site when he is in a parking lot and is flooring through this huge lake of water....looks cool. I dont think he had an intake..atleast he did in his other vids cause his exhaust is nice. the AEM bypass is suppose to prevent that kinda stuff. if you have a long filter and its only half way submerged you should still be ok. It when the filter is completely submerge where you get in trouble which in that picture the water still didn't look high enough. Either way, risky and not worth it in my book. Just park it on the side of the road and take a nap til it past...traffic won't be moving anyway...this concludes my two cents
Old 07-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Intermediate

What I'd like to know is, was the cameraman standing in the water?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:37 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Well...thats a toss up PTTL.....willing to try and let us know? Seriously....if you drive through water about that deep or deeper....I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT with a CAI on. Especially under accelleration where you would be causing a large vaccum.

I just thought this was a good "BASIC GUIDELINE VIDEO" that I saw that could be used for kind of a judge for newbies that have this question. You might make it though this puddle.....maybe...IF you went REAL slow....but this would be about pushing it yes. You see when he accelerates and the car starts plowing water at the front side.....YOU DONT WANT THAT!! About three to six inches above that line is where your filter intake sits on a CAI unit like AEM or Injen. Start plowing water into the area...and YES....you are begging for trouble!~

I think you're correct - SLOW is the key when driving through 6 - 8 inches of water. Plowing through - = asking for big trouble.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That really wasnt that bad. Back in my younger days in my Mazda B2000, I drove through a flooded road. The water was up over the hood of the truck. I was young and didn't know better at the time. I made it through barely, the truck kept wanting to stall due to the water in the tail pipes. The intake was still above water, but not by much. I was shaking so bad after I had made it through. When I looked behind me there was a car trying to do it. The water was up to the glass on it. I didn't stick around to see if he had made it. It something I would even think about trying in a stock TL, let alone one with a CAI. If I am going to do anything like that now, I will use my 4x4. I will say I have baried my old truck a few times, but the best was driving a 4x4 Dodge Ram with 35" tires down a river bed. The wake coming off the front end was enough to surf on!!! This was much more controled then my flooded road crossing. Not to mention I had about another 36" worth of height on the truck.

Jason
Old 07-27-2006, 04:38 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acurallac
What I'd like to know is, was the cameraman standing in the water?
dude, please tell me your sig is photoshopped
Old 07-27-2006, 05:36 PM
I've been Canonized ;)

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Counterpoint: Press Here

P.S. No this isn't me (WDP), but I bet someone here is
Old 07-27-2006, 06:38 PM
I like to whistle in my

LOL..its me. I had comments that that one was kinda weak so I put up a new one after i installed my intake yesterday. the link is in my signature too
Old 07-28-2006, 09:45 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had an intake cut into 2 pieces. When it rained heavy, i switched to short ram. Quick and painless.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:13 AM
I like to whistle in my

the K&N one is made like that...thinks its called a typhoon
Old 07-28-2006, 01:33 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by Meek32v6
the K&N one is made like that...thinks its called a typhoon

Does it fit the 3G TL? Is it better than the AEM?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Advanced

The K&N PN is 69-0021TS. Don't know if it's better or worse than an AEM.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:21 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Thats purely a personal choice there. Most that have gotten the K&N rarely ever change from the CAI to short ram though....one continuous long tube is best...but the small amt of turb. that the joint in the K&N would cause frankly isnt anything to worry about either.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:53 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Thats purely a personal choice there. Most that have gotten the K&N rarely ever change from the CAI to short ram though....one continuous long tube is best...but the small amt of turb. that the joint in the K&N would cause frankly isnt anything to worry about either.
Your right about the one tube being best, but it wont be a significant change in power. I did it because i was able to mate the pipes together for long tube, and when it rained hard i switched to short ram. I had the Injen, and ran against a car with the aem. With the same mods, i pulled him about half a car, so i think its not a noticeable amount of flow change.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ITL
dude, please tell me your sig is photoshopped
It isn't. I went to the salvage yard and got the fins off a '59 Cadillac Eldorado and had them attached at a custom body shop here in town - THEN I photoshopped it - it's not really in a parking lot.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:50 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by acurallac
It isn't. I went to the salvage yard and got the fins off a '59 Cadillac Eldorado and had them attached at a custom body shop here in town - THEN I photoshopped it - it's not really in a parking lot.
Not to hijack the thread but would you be offended if I asked you to post more pictures of your car, personally I find it "different/ unique" and maybe it's because we are close in age....

Thanks
HEK
Old 07-29-2006, 12:23 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by bigman
Your right about the one tube being best, but it wont be a significant change in power.
Thank you for basically repeating what I had just said?

BTW....I have had BOTH the AEM and Injen CAI's installed on my TL.....AEM is the better choice in my opinion.....
Old 07-29-2006, 12:58 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Your right about the one tube being best, but it wont be a significant change in power. I did it because i was able to mate the pipes together for long tube, and when it rained hard i switched to short ram. I had the Injen, and ran against a car with the aem. With the same mods, i pulled him about half a car, so i think its not a noticeable amount of flow change.
Dont even bother putting it on. I never had it on, and the car was ndriven through all kinds of rain and large puddles, plus i was missing the plastic shield on the bottom of my bumper and water got on the filter all the time. Also Ron from RonJon Wheels, actualy sucked in the ruber ring from the aem into his throttle body, it was nuts. The throttle plate got stuck and we had to get in there with needle nose pliars.
Like....ok? I thought you switched it out to short ram......? But in this thread....you are stating to this guy about a bypass valve you never bother with and then state you have an Injen in yet another thread? Kind of confusing....
Old 07-29-2006, 07:51 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Like....ok? I thought you switched it out to short ram......? But in this thread....you are stating to this guy about a bypass valve you never bother with and then state you have an Injen in yet another thread? Kind of confusing....
I never said i had an AEM, if you learn to read, Ron had the aem. I never bothered with a bypass and yes my filter got wet, but when it did get bad, considering that i lived next to the Brinx RIVER pkwy, and thats what i took home everyday, yes i took the lower portion off my injen. The Bronx river floods over and thats why i needed to remove it. All i am saying is that its an added convenience. This was for my 99 TL. What the hell is so confusing, and why the need to bust my balls about my intake.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:53 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

And why in the hell are you pulling up my old threads, are you that amazed by me that you have to research my old posts. Let me tell people my experiences with my intakes setups without cock blocking me. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:31 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

But half of your posts start or state...I have a camaro or t/a or whatever it was(I cant remember which honestly and dont really care to even research it at this point).....which is not real applicable to ACURA as the setups tend to differ greatly. I have boatloads of domestic experience too...and it is a total different world with import. Either way Big.....not sure why you are so sensitive about it? I was just asking dude. And "cock blocking" you? ahhhh....ok.....not sure that would be real applicable either? I mean....unless you were trying to f&^* somebody?

Sorry for asking about it dude? You clearly state to this guy that you never mess with it...filter gets wet, missing plastic shield, ect. ...no big deal....but then over here you state that every time it rains, you just switch out to short ram? Advise seemed to totally contradict itself...I mean...if its no big deal....why would you bother switching out? BTW....I read fine....not sure why you are getting so ballistic over somebody just asking you to clarify yourself...and stating somebody is "cock blocking" you...just because they ask you a simple question? Geez...grow up dude and learn to enter into intelligent discouse.....Again....I applogize for asking you a question and to clarify.....I wont ask you anything again....as it seems you have all the answers already and must be the most knowledgable person on the board. I understand totally....people like that NEVER like to be questioned whatsoever. Just like to dole out advise. Thats cool. I might suggest you have a beer dude and stop friggin worrying about someone asking you a simple question. Seems like it could have been answered with a simple intelligent answer? All I did was ask you to clarify two opposing answers. Nuff said I guess. Wont ask you anything again... .....but truely....I really dont need somebody walking behind me either qualifying my answers. As for history....well...yes....that is something that is there for all to see....and yes...I did read some of what you had posted in the past.....why does that seem to bother you so much.....thats what the feature is there for? That way you can read into the historical past? Most people really dont mind this happening.....as they tend to dole out advise that is very consistent in nature and usually unquestionable and politely stated without the use of useless kiddie slang like "cock block" and the like. What are you...buzzed? This seems unlike you to get so upset about somebody asking you a simple question....
Old 07-29-2006, 10:30 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

But half of your posts start or state...I have a camaro or t/a or whatever it was(I cant remember which honestly and dont really care to even research it at this point).....which is not real applicable to ACURA as the setups tend to differ greatly. I have boatloads of domestic experience too...and it is a total different world with import. Either way Big.....not sure why you are so sensitive about it? I was just asking dude. And "cock blocking" you? ahhhh....ok.....not sure that would be real applicable either? I mean....unless you were trying to f&^* somebody?

Sorry for asking about it dude? You clearly state to this guy that you never mess with it...filter gets wet, missing plastic shield, ect. ...no big deal....but then over here you state that every time it rains, you just switch out to short ram? Advise seemed to totally contradict itself...I mean...if its no big deal....why would you bother switching out? BTW....I read fine....not sure why you are getting so ballistic over somebody just asking you to clarify yourself...and stating somebody is "cock blocking" you...just because they ask you a simple question? Geez...grow up dude and learn to enter into intelligent discouse.....Again....I applogize for asking you a question and to clarify.....I wont ask you anything again....as it seems you have all the answers already and must be the most knowledgable person on the board. I understand totally....people like that NEVER like to be questioned whatsoever. Just like to dole out advise. Thats cool. I might suggest you have a beer dude and stop friggin worrying about someone asking you a simple question. Seems like it could have been answered with a simple intelligent answer? All I did was ask you to clarify two opposing answers. Nuff said I guess. Wont ask you anything again... .....but truely....I really dont need somebody walking behind me either qualifying my answers. As for history....well...yes....that is something that is there for all to see....and yes...I did read some of what you had posted in the past.....why does that seem to bother you so much.....thats what the feature is there for? That way you can read into the historical past? Most people really dont mind this happening.....as they tend to dole out advise that is very consistent in nature and usually unquestionable and politely stated without the use of useless kiddie slang like "cock block" and the like. What are you...buzzed? This seems unlike you to get so upset about somebody asking you a simple question....
The reason i say you are :cock blocking" is because everytime i give out advice or an opinion, you try and discredit me. So the phrase has everything to do with what i was saying. And if you cant take the word cock block, than you are too damn sensitive for the internet. You dont know me, and you dont know what circumstances i have taken apart my intake for. Just because in one post i said that i drive through puddles with a wet filter and everything was fine, doesnt mean that i drove through a flooded parkway with bumper deep standing water. Over here in westchester NY we have The hutchinson river parkway, saw mill river parkway, bronx river parkway, and sprian brook parkway, all of which flood, all of which were my only way home after work in the TL. Yes there were times i had the intake on sans bypass, but i was merely explaining that when it was coming down BAD, i changed out to short ram. And i understand that the old posts are there, but the fact that you pulled an old post to try and discredit me is what got me going. That old post was for rain, not downpour flooding like i am speaking of. Where i live the 2 piece design of the injen was optimal for me so that i can switch back and forth wheen needed. And you can ask me whatever you want, but dont come at me like I am trying to give out wrong advice. And the only reason i use my Trans Am as an example in some of my other posts is becase some mechanical discussions like cooling pertain to all vehicles. I owned a TL, i had modded the hell out of it. I went above and beyond doing the type s cam, and MDX intake manifold when nobody attempted it. So, i know my J series motor back and front. I am not the most knoledgable person on this board, and if i forget to type downpour instead of rain as the reason why i switch my intakes, there's no reason for you to call me out like i am a liar. There are quite a few local CL'ers and 2nd Gen TL'ers who i have helped with installs and other things, that know what i am all about. And it's not that i dont like to be questioned, it's that i dont like to have someone that doesnt like me, looming over my shoulder in every thread trying to discredit me. The fact is that i speak from experience and not my ass. And i also add my experience to the topic at hand. When it rained, i left the long tube on, when it poured and my only ways to get home were a sure thing to be flooded over, i switched to short ram. If you cant understand that, then i dont know how to help you. My 2 posts were consistent, they were consistent with the topics, not each other. They werent consistent with each other becasue one was for rain and puddles and the other i was describing worse conditions. In my future posts i will be a lot clearer and maybe you wont come down on me for everything i say.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:36 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

You want to know whats funny, that something so retareded like internet arguing thses past few days has taken me way off working on my 427 for the Trans Am. I love this board sometimes, i guess it saved me from having bloody knucles from working on the car this weekend. And i am never buzzed, i drink on occasion and have never touched a drug a day in my life.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:52 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

And if you want to continue this convo, it might be better to do so in pm, unless you want us to both look like idiots arguing in a forum.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:19 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

You want to know whats funny, that something so retareded like internet arguing thses past few days has taken me way off working on my 427 for the Trans Am. I love this board sometimes, i guess it saved me from having bloody knucles from working on the car this weekend. And i am never buzzed, i drink on occasion and have never touched a drug a day in my life.
Thats funny.....I hadnt really started to fight....? All I did was ask a question? And I do note I was the OP on this post...so who is looming behind who here? As far as splitting verbiage....you kind of sound like Clinton there...raining...pouring? Ok. What about gullywasher too? lol. Dude...I mean no disrespect....but when you come behind me and quote...."you were right about....".....its funny YOU would have a problem with someone qualifying your statements...because it was you who came behind me and posted in my thread (which is ok...thats what its there for?) and now are saying I am coming behind you and asking for clarification? And I believe this is the first time I have asked you squat...so to say I am traveling behind you and calling you out every time you give advise is yet another gross overstatement. Did I ask once.... Yep....every right to ask.....its my thread you posted in? As far as language...no...have no problem with such...just makes you sound young, immature, and unintelligent....thats all. When things get down to that level...there is rarely anything to be learned. As for me not "liking you"....I dont believe we have ever met Big...so honestly...one would be hard pressed to make a judgement like that....I cant say that I dislike you....because we have never met? Shit...we might just get along fine? Who knows? I sure dont.....and dont make judgements like that and reserve them for the most part...for people I have met personally. Now do I question the method sometimes at which your advise it given...yep....you dont give advise...you cram it down peoples neck. Do I hold that against you...nope. That can be just writing style...especially when you lack facial expressions, ect. in the mix. Some things can seem gruff....when in fact they were not meant that way but just read that way. Have been guilty of that myself from time to time....so not calling you out on anything I have not done myself or been acused of anyway. They say I lecture....and they are probably right. Just look at the length of my posts for gods sake!

As for getting buzzed....you might try it. Might calm you down a bit...cause I sure got you overly worked up on that one man....BTW....when you argue...yep...one appears to be a e-tard. Thats why we like to debate intelligently. Done...no harm no foul.

What year T/A you workin on? Had several Camaros (and one Genaro as we called it), 87 GTA, and Impalas (67SS and 95SS) over the years. They are fun cars. Especially the GTA. Handled like a dream and outran the troopers like there was no tomorrow. Not to mention...a heck of a lot easier to work on than these import cars! More hand room!
Old 07-30-2006, 12:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Jeez, what the hell, just forget it. Being a vendor, you should just try and stay on everybodies good side instead of trying to prove people wrong benz, just some friendly advice. ANd yeah, talk about room under the hood, his car can fit another engine in there.
Its also neck cranking fast, like Corvette ZO6 teritory, at least after those cams go in.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:52 AM
Intermediate

that car swims better than me!
Old 07-30-2006, 01:30 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by rondog
Jeez, what the hell, just forget it. Being a vendor, you should just try and stay on everybodies good side instead of trying to prove people wrong benz, just some friendly advice. ANd yeah, talk about room under the hood, his car can fit another engine in there.
Its also neck cranking fast, like Corvette ZO6 teritory, at least after those cams go in.
You bet "Dog" I just hate being a paper cookie cutter type person that "blows with the wind" in the name of money though....seems phoney. But I would agree with your statement totally in principle.

Ya...I recall my TA's and Camaros had enough room to sleep under there! Wish our 3G TL's had that kind of room! Maybe we would have some more developmental options then! As far as sales....going VERY well! Other than being broken into (happens)...been no real setbacks! Somebody broke into our shop and stole all our raw carbon fiber....lol. Or they thought they did anyway. What they stole was a box of scraps and trim-off....lol. All the roll goods are kept under fire safe lock at night....dummies! (and off immediate site at that) Plus we just scored a contract with a national mail order company. Growth is good....but uncontolled growth is not good. Thats a problem I have been wresting with. You just have to say no sometimes...no matter how much you want to take on more business. This combined with a local competitior who wants to buy us out just as we get going strong....really nutty times! Being in business as long as you have...I am sure you have seen this stuff before....but new territory for me.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
about the topic, you don't have to have a CAI to hydrolock a motor. take a look at what happened to this motor with only 8000 miles on it. the motor was completly stock, no mods whatsoever. it must have been one really deep puddle.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:28 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by ThinJim
about the topic, you don't have to have a CAI to hydrolock a motor. take a look at what happened to this motor with only 8000 miles on it. the motor was completly stock, no mods whatsoever. it must have been one really deep puddle.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:27 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Thats funny.....I hadnt really started to fight....? All I did was ask a question? And I do note I was the OP on this post...so who is looming behind who here? As far as splitting verbiage....you kind of sound like Clinton there...raining...pouring? Ok. What about gullywasher too? lol. Dude...I mean no disrespect....but when you come behind me and quote...."you were right about....".....its funny YOU would have a problem with someone qualifying your statements...because it was you who came behind me and posted in my thread (which is ok...thats what its there for?) and now are saying I am coming behind you and asking for clarification? And I believe this is the first time I have asked you squat...so to say I am traveling behind you and calling you out every time you give advise is yet another gross overstatement. Did I ask once.... Yep....every right to ask.....its my thread you posted in? As far as language...no...have no problem with such...just makes you sound young, immature, and unintelligent....thats all. When things get down to that level...there is rarely anything to be learned. As for me not "liking you"....I dont believe we have ever met Big...so honestly...one would be hard pressed to make a judgement like that....I cant say that I dislike you....because we have never met? Shit...we might just get along fine? Who knows? I sure dont.....and dont make judgements like that and reserve them for the most part...for people I have met personally. Now do I question the method sometimes at which your advise it given...yep....you dont give advise...you cram it down peoples neck. Do I hold that against you...nope. That can be just writing style...especially when you lack facial expressions, ect. in the mix. Some things can seem gruff....when in fact they were not meant that way but just read that way. Have been guilty of that myself from time to time....so not calling you out on anything I have not done myself or been acused of anyway. They say I lecture....and they are probably right. Just look at the length of my posts for gods sake!

As for getting buzzed....you might try it. Might calm you down a bit...cause I sure got you overly worked up on that one man....BTW....when you argue...yep...one appears to be a e-tard. Thats why we like to debate intelligently. Done...no harm no foul.

What year T/A you workin on? Had several Camaros (and one Genaro as we called it), 87 GTA, and Impalas (67SS and 95SS) over the years. They are fun cars. Especially the GTA. Handled like a dream and outran the troopers like there was no tomorrow. Not to mention...a heck of a lot easier to work on than these import cars! More hand room!
Whatever man, it's a 98 Trans AM. Pretty easy to work on, just gotta get the tune right with the mods. And oddly enough, with all the power mods i have done, the stall converter is my favorite. As a vendor you should try and get a company to work on a stall for the TL. That alone would shave off a few 10ths and be fun to drive for the guys that can get a manual.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Import and Domestic owner

Whatever man, it's a 98 Trans AM. Pretty easy to work on, just gotta get the tune right with the mods. And oddly enough, with all the power mods i have done, the stall converter is my favorite. As a vendor you should try and get a company to work on a stall for the TL. That alone would shave off a few 10ths and be fun to drive for the guys that can get a manual.
Hell yea, that is what I want to hear. Need a higher stall converter. But some say it will make our car slower. ???????
Before you can do anything to the tranny you will have to change the ecu, cause everything fed to the tranny is from the main comp.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:08 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Ya...getting the tune right can sometimes be the hardest part depending on your mods. Yes...I had an old Camaro I had nitrous/ 13.5:1 pistons, ect that I had a stall converter on. Dang thing drove about like a manual....(it was auto) and it was a lot of fun. That converter really does make a difference in slamming the power to the pavement in a BIG way.

As for working on a stall project....no time right now. Too busy making parts and no available R&D time. Wish I could though.....
Old 07-30-2006, 06:35 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Ya...getting the tune right can sometimes be the hardest part depending on your mods. Yes...I had an old Camaro I had nitrous/ 13.5:1 pistons, ect that I had a stall converter on. Dang thing drove about like a manual....(it was auto) and it was a lot of fun. That converter really does make a difference in slamming the power to the pavement in a BIG way.

As for working on a stall project....no time right now. Too busy making parts and no available R&D time. Wish I could though.....
Oh man, a nice 3200 - 3400 stall on the TL with a 2.1-2.4 str will hit so hard it's not even funny. You should contact John at Fuddle racing. He mkaes custom converters for lots of cars.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:44 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Originally Posted by againstallodds1
Hell yea, that is what I want to hear. Need a higher stall converter. But some say it will make our car slower. ???????
Before you can do anything to the tranny you will have to change the ecu, cause everything fed to the tranny is from the main comp.
A converter would get you into the power band much faster, you may loose effeciancy up top, but that depends on the converter you get. I am currently running a 400 stall with a 2.1 str. Its a perfect street/track converter because the 2.1 str keeps it tight enough for good street manners, yet still lets it flash fast and hard. Now if i went with the same stall, but a higher str, it would be much better for my 60' times, but i would lose mph up top. This is why companies make so many stalls and make custom stalls. A good converter will gain mph and be awesome off the line. Dont forget shift extension. A stall will keep you in the meat of the powerband with every shift. And since the TL's ECU cant be flashed, i say the highest stall you can go will be like 2600 with a low 1.8 str. Anything more and the computer will probably think the tranny is slipping and pull timing or the engine will bounce off the limiter between shifts. I think that someone really needs to figure out an ecu option for the J series motor. I'm wondering how much power the supercharged guys and even bolt on guys are leaving on the table. And i am not only talking about peak, i'm talking about power under the curve.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:48 PM
I've been Canonized ;)

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
MichaelBenz and bigman....ya'll give us hope for world peace....thank you

Quick Reply: Reasons NOT to get CAI...