Ram Air Effect Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ram Air Effect Possible?

I was just screwing around with my car and was cleaning the aem cai filter when I noticed this......cant we remove the molding directly behind the little grille portion that is on the bumper on the cold air intake side, thus creating a more forced air induction in to the filter?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:33 PM
Banned

Where's 1HardDrivinLE whenyou need him?

Anyway, creating a ram-air effect is a bit of a misnomer. What's really happening when you do something like what you're talking about is cooling the air (creating a denser intake charge). It isn't "ram air."
Old 08-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think i prefer the small opening for the AEM filter. this might be extra protection from getting the filter wet from the car wash/rain/puddles.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
[QUOTE=TLover]Where's 1HardDrivinLE whenyou need him?

Oh, the memories.

He's working on his doctoral thesis regarding the relationship between pressure, velocity, and temperature. Has been making many astounding discoveries, and is too excited to post.

Mike
Old 08-16-2005, 07:16 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

If you look closely behind the grille, you will see that it has a hole in it, about 1/2 the length of the bumper opening just below the HID. Technically, it can be done. Would it be a good idea, maybe, if you track the car.

Anyway, I don't think that the filter, or the engine for that matter, can process or consume more air than whatever amount of air is already reaching the filter when the car is moving at normal speeds (20-75 mph) unless you can rev it past the 8k-9k rmp mark or while doing 30mph in 1st gear.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a Spoon intake snorkle on my S2000, and though it is mounted in a psoition where it would seem to benefit from a Ram Air effect, my analysis of the underlying mechanical eng'g principles leads me to believe that Ram Air, if that means a system where the incoming air charge is substantially incrased from ambient air pressure by the "force" of either air velocity ("Ram Air") , or a low-pressure zone (cowl induction) allowing a bigger gulp of air - both are fallacious. I thnk they were more about looking cool, marketing, and appealing to non-techies with quasi-tech talk.

I agree that it is far mnore an issue of cold air induction. The Spoon mounts low, in front of the radiator, so it does do the job.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:06 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by coop1018
I was just screwing around with my car and was cleaning the aem cai filter when I noticed this......cant we remove the molding directly behind the little grille portion that is on the bumper on the cold air intake side, thus creating a more forced air induction in to the filter?

Yes...you could remove that little peice of plastic protection....but I wouldnt recommend it unless you are strictly tracking the car. This provides a minor amount of protection from water during rain dude! Think about it....when you are driving into a "driving rain" this would deflect the water drops from directly entering the area of your filter inlet.

I was worried about hydrolock before I installed my CAI....but after having seen that deflector....I really didnt worry about it any more.

Just my
Old 08-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
All you're doing is clearing up the path for the airflow. You won't gain any positive pressure by doing this.

You know, the whole airflow issue goes beyond the mere intake pipe. It really is hard to create positive pressure (boost) without the help of forced induction mechanisms like supercharger and turbocharger.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:05 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
All you're doing is clearing up the path for the airflow. You won't gain any positive pressure by doing this.

You know, the whole airflow issue goes beyond the mere intake pipe. It really is hard to create positive pressure (boost) without the help of forced induction mechanisms like supercharger and turbocharger.

Tend to agree with you totally. There is enough air there now to make it all work good....you cant "force induction" without supercharger or turbo, ect. Removing this little plastic deflector behind the grill area would accomplish little to nothing.....but something I would prob do if water wasnt an issue. It just makes better sense to leave it alone.....as you stated....there is enough air there now.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I was getting ahead of myself and forgot about the hydrolock situations!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:44 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by coop1018
Thanks, I was getting ahead of myself and forgot about the hydrolock situations!
Was always kind of wondering about the hydrolock deal......drove last night in very heavy downpour and driving rain on the highway last night for about 20 minutes or so....no probs whatsoever. I just tried to keep the RPMs down by driving in Automatic, which tended to keep it just below or around 2000 RPM's at 65mph - 75mph. I had almost forgot about it(before I remembered) and found myself in the fast lane behind huge trucks spitting out lots of vapor trail....no probs whatsoever. I think to hydolock this thing....you would almost have to drive your car into water deep enough to cover or reach the filer inlet...at which time you probably deserve hydrolock! Something tells me that with a little care (like driving in auto and not driving for hours behind some truck in driving rain or something?) that hydrolock isnt a real issue for most of us. My guess it is for those that like to go boating in their cars every now and then driving through deep water?

Anyway....gave it the seat of the pants test....and really dont see a big issue here.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:38 AM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Was always kind of wondering about the hydrolock deal......drove last night in very heavy downpour and driving rain on the highway last night for about 20 minutes or so....no probs whatsoever. I just tried to keep the RPMs down by driving in Automatic, which tended to keep it just below or around 2000 RPM's at 65mph - 75mph. I had almost forgot about it(before I remembered) and found myself in the fast lane behind huge trucks spitting out lots of vapor trail....no probs whatsoever. I think to hydolock this thing....you would almost have to drive your car into water deep enough to cover or reach the filer inlet...at which time you probably deserve hydrolock! Something tells me that with a little care (like driving in auto and not driving for hours behind some truck in driving rain or something?) that hydrolock isnt a real issue for most of us. My guess it is for those that like to go boating in their cars every now and then driving through deep water?

Anyway....gave it the seat of the pants test....and really dont see a big issue here.
You my friend, are totally right.