Racingbrake pads review

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:47 PM
07 TL type S NBP!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Racingbrake pads review

Hey all,

Just wanted to give some info because I know brakes are often asked about. I bought the ET500s and used them on my stock rotors (25k on them). I didn't resurface or turn my rotors because most of the research I'd done shows that to be a nono for our rotors.

FYI, Doing the pads myself was cake.

The pads themselves are better at dissipating heat for sure and have a consistent bite. I like them more than the stockies for sure and if anyone is looking for a street pad, they're a good route, even if you're not going to upgrade rotors. I asked the guys at racingbrake and they said they are okay with stock rotors, and so far so good (2500 miles with them). Less dust too, which helps with the cleaning interval
Old 07-19-2010, 09:03 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Did you bed them in after initial install?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you use the stock shims?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:08 AM
07 TL type S NBP!

Princely:
Yah, I bedded them in w/ the factory recommendations. I found though that they squeaked a tad, so I did a few harder stops and it went away (from 80-30ish). I dont know if the squeak was from the shims or the pads, but it worked.

faceman:
And yah, I used the factory shims, no problems so far but I'll admit they aren't very old because its my first brake change so I don't know how long they're good for.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by modificata3
Hey all,

I didn't resurface or turn my rotors because most of the research I'd done shows that to be a nono for our rotors.
Really? I bought the ET300's and was going to have the shop resurface the stock rotors before putting them on. I'll have to do a little more research...
Old 07-20-2010, 06:40 PM
07 TL type S NBP!

Originally Posted by nimhet
Really? I bought the ET300's and was going to have the shop resurface the stock rotors before putting them on. I'll have to do a little more research...
yah, search rotors, resurfacing, turning, or even the DIY I think has some input on it. Seems that its not really necessary and so far its proved fine for me. Some mentioned that when resurfaced the rotor was significantly thinner, which sucks for dissipating heat and avoiding 'hot spots' (denaturing the metal from high heat), etc.

I wish I could pull some up right now, but I'm in class trying to take notes and use acurazine to keep me awake so hopefully that's a decent head start
Old 07-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by modificata3
yah, search rotors, resurfacing, turning, or even the DIY I think has some input on it. Seems that its not really necessary and so far its proved fine for me. Some mentioned that when resurfaced the rotor was significantly thinner, which sucks for dissipating heat and avoiding 'hot spots' (denaturing the metal from high heat), etc.

I wish I could pull some up right now, but I'm in class trying to take notes and use acurazine to keep me awake so hopefully that's a decent head start
After reading your thread I did a bunch of searches and found most say it's better not to resurface...just like you said. That sounds good to me...saves me some $$ and a little time. Thanks for your help...
Old 07-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Resurfacing in the true sense is a good idea. This is just "scuffing up" the surface to get rid of old pad material and give the new pads something nice to bite into. You're not removing material here.

Unfortunately "resurfacing" and "cutting" get interchanged around here. Cutting is removing metal usually done to get rid of warping. Removing metal is never good for performance as it will raise rotor temps and increase the liklihood of warping a second time.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Resurfacing is completely un-needed. All you really need to do is bed these in with some good brake pressure.

We have been selling a lot of these lately. Word must be out!

I might suggest people look on our site for the HT-Spec brake packages for complete brake solutions beyond simple pad changes.

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/pitboard/?p=111

We also have a new track-duty ET800 compound.

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/manufactu...d=12&catid=568
Old 07-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Instructor

After reading your thread I did a bunch of searches and found most say it's better not to resurface...just like you said. That sounds good to me...saves me some $$ and a little time. Thanks for your help...

So I've had the pads on for about a week now. Bedded them in...they are awesome. So much of an improvement over the pads I had before. I would highly recommend to anyone. Also, they are perfectly quiet...not a single squeak. I got mine from Marcus at Heeltoe, so you go do the same!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks a ton man, happy to help!

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/want-brakes-look-no-further-than-what-works-years-785847/
https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/just-got-word-tein-yesterday-785844/
Old 08-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Instructor

So I've had the pads on for about a week now. Bedded them in...they are awesome. So much of an improvement over the pads I had before. I would highly recommend to anyone. Also, they are perfectly quiet...not a single squeak. I got mine from Marcus at Heeltoe, so you go do the same!
So 1 month update...I'm starting to feel them fade already. It doesn't feel like they stop as well as they did just a few weeks ago. Any idea what might be going on? Should I re-bed them?
Old 08-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
So 1 month update...I'm starting to feel them fade already. It doesn't feel like they stop as well as they did just a few weeks ago. Any idea what might be going on? Should I re-bed them?
You're probably getting used to them.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Rebedding is possibly something you will need to do from time to time. Also note that rebedding increases the temperature a bit higher than normal and this will improve the braking slightly as well. I have not noticed fade with my ET500s.

Likewise, you are still using stock rotors which might not be dissipating heat very well.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Instructor

In regard to the shims, the guy who put my pads on didn't use them. He said they don't really do anything so he just put some of the pink CRC brake glue stuff on and then put the pads in. I wonder if that would affect anything?

I'm going to try these things to see if they help. Hopefully it does..if not I guess I'm just going to live with it.

1. Use brake cleaner
2. Re-bed