Question about brakes...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about brakes...?

What's going on everyone?

I have a third generation Acura TL (not Type S). It's six speed, manual transmission with (obviously) all four disc brakes.

It's about that time that I replace the brake pads, and I'd like to look into replacing the discs as well. I will be doing all the work myself, so I was wondering if the front brakes are Brembo, or if this is only on the Type S edition? I've tried looking everywhere, my next step is calling an Acura dealer, but I know there is tons of experience on this site.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you looking to upgrade, or replace with stock type? Every time I've done a brake upgrade I've gone with Willwood and have never had a complaint.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:15 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
yes, our six speed manual transmissions have the same brakes as type-s. the Brembos.

you can use any slew of pads and rotor combos.
depends on how deep your pockets are.

you can go to autozone and pick up the rotors and pads there
or you can opt for one of our vendors.
http://store.excelerateperformance.com/

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/

http://www.adamsrotors.com/

we also have a brakemotive package for all 4 rotors and pads

it really doesnt matter the combo you choose, all will stop the car.

I chose to go with a ceramic pad with my brembos because i hated how the factory pads left dust every where.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
If you're going to replace the rotors and pads I'd recommend our XLR8 AZ Brake Package.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-304786.aspx

These Acurazine brake packages are designed to improve braking performance and durability at a reasonable price. The packages include Powerslot/STOPTECH performance rotors and STOPTECH Performance pads. All of the rotors have a black e-coating on the hubs and vanes and an advanced alloy composition. The Powerslot slotted rotors for the front of most Acuras also have a Power Alloy composition and a curved vane construction, which helps reduce heat in the brake system. The STOPTECH Performance pads are a para-aramid compound, which has great initial bite and long-term performance and lower dust and noise than most aftermarket brake pads.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Banned

I'm going to end up getting blank Brembo rotors with Hawk pads.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
I do not believe that the Brembo rotors are your most cost effective solution for an upgrade.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pohljm
I do not believe that the Brembo rotors are your most cost effective solution for an upgrade.
I'm not worried about cost.

I'm not going with slotted, and I'm not going with drilled. Since I've already got Brembo I'd assume my smartest bet is to replace them with OEM.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by J32_Drew
I'm not worried about cost.

I'm not going with slotted, and I'm not going with drilled. Since I've already got Brembo I'd assume my smartest bet is to replace them with OEM.
OEM and what you see listed from Brembo can be two different things unless you're buying from a dealer. Brembos are known to cost a lot. That's fine as long as you get something for the additional money but there are some really good aftermarket companies like Stoptech that are as good or better and cost less.

I don't care for most of Hawk's line. Maybe they were good at one time but now most of the people that buy them buy them because of brand recognition, just like Optima batteries. They've sucked for many years now but people continue to buy them based on what they did 10 years ago.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:05 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
I had hawk HPS pads on my car for a while. they were fine with the OEM blanks on the front. The hawk pads did not like the rear brembo blanks I put on the car and squawked whenever i backed the car up i lived with it like that as it was reasonably tolerable (didn't happen everytime).

switched rotors on the front to the stoptech slotted (the very same found in the excelerate brake pkg), but left the HPS pads since there was good amount of meat left to them. sadly, after a couple of attempts at bedding them into the new rotors, the hawk pads kept squawking with light brake application on those rotors all the time. i finally switched the pads to the stoptech pads they came as part of the excelerate pkg...no issues or noises. they seem to have a much better initial bite than the hawk pads. i have also switched out the rears with stoptech combo, and again no noises, or issues. so far i like the brake feel of the stoptech pkg over the hawk HPS pads. the hawk pads were nice in the sense they didn't dust nearly as much as the OEM pads.

just some other thoughts for you to ponder in your decision.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
$26 a pair! Delivered! link no workie
Old 06-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
I had fairly new durlast gold pads, and an OEM rotor when I got the car. They squeaked all the time when cold. I replaced them with Brembo pads, and I'm happy with the performance. They don't really squeak like before, have better initial bite, which I prefer, and perform marginally better at full pedal travel. I'm using Bendix PRT5745 rotors. They're available for about $26 for a pair of fronts, delivered, off Amazon. I've always been a fan of using low cost blank rotors and replacing them with every pad change.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
I pulled the link since it wasn't working for me either.

Just google Bendix PRT5745. Some store on Amazon has them listed really cheap. I purchased them nearly a year ago, and they are the correct ones. The price actually went down a buck since I purchased them.