Purpose of jpipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
Purpose of jpipes

I've done some searching on the subject but I wasn't able to find all the answers. First, what is the whole purpose of aftermarket jpipes? It it simply a matter of increased exhaust flow? And if so, how exactly does it accomplish this? From eliminating one of the cats? And if that's the case, will installing a jpipe cause you to fail emissions?

Has anyone seen an MPG increase from an aftermarket jpipe?

Same question goes for CAI's. I know colder air can increase power, and that decreased filter drag can slightly decrease the work an engine has to do. Can anyone vouch for any noticable power or MPG increase on this? It seems like the benefit would be insignificant. I don't want to pay $200ish just to get a little better sound. (2X that for the jpipe)

Sorry for all the noob questions. I've never modded before but wanted to consider a few of these bolt ons if it doesn't end up being too much trouble/expense.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It replaces the stock J pipe with one with better flow properties, which in turn give you some more horsepower.

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/ATLP-J-Pi...-pr-63698.html

a pic of how it achieves this
http://www.acuratlparts.com/uploads/...34f020b0a7.jpg

Last edited by ankur914; 01-06-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome information ankur, but which aftermarket j-pipe would you recommend out of the whole crowd?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
Keep in mind that this aftermarket J-pipe is most effective with a complementing 3rd cat delete and aftermarket full exhaust. Simply a replacement of a j-pipe with an aftermarket j-pipe will give you some gain, but will then be obstructed by stock piping after.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Can't go wrong with either ATLP, XLR8 or RV6.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
How much hp gain would the J32 powered cars get on stock exhaust? If I could I'd buy/install both at the same time but it seems J-pipe yielded more hp gain on stock exhaust vs. adding an exhaust on stock j-pipe. Would this also be true?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
How much hp gain would the J32 powered cars get on stock exhaust? If I could I'd buy/install both at the same time but it seems J-pipe yielded more hp gain on stock exhaust vs. adding an exhaust on stock j-pipe. Would this also be true?
Enough to feel, but nothing crazy. You can't trust what other people dynod or gained because every car is different (specs, weight etc) and everyone has different mods. Some mods actually hurt the car, if you get an intake, TB it will actually hurt HP. Gains would be tremendous if you did a full exhaust (Pre-cats, j pipe, third cat and cat back). I have a guy that can make pre cats and can make them high flow along with a j pipe with third cat delete with a HFC to replace the third cat and the catback for cheap with high end material that will never crack and is plug and play. I have his stuff and its all magna-flow products, stainless parts/piping with lifetime warrantees on the parts. The HFC are magna-flow and also have a lifetime warrantee.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AckTL05
Enough to feel, but nothing crazy. You can't trust what other people dynod or gained because every car is different (specs, weight etc) and everyone has different mods. Some mods actually hurt the car, if you get an intake, TB it will actually hurt HP. Gains would be tremendous if you did a full exhaust (Pre-cats, j pipe, third cat and cat back). I have a guy that can make pre cats and can make them high flow along with a j pipe with third cat delete with a HFC to replace the third cat and the catback for cheap with high end material that will never crack and is plug and play. I have his stuff and its all magna-flow products, stainless parts/piping with lifetime warrantees on the parts. The HFC are magna-flow and also have a lifetime warrantee.
I ment a car just adding the j-pipe like i stated. Which cats could i get away with removing if my county in NC does emissions? I also mentioned i plan on catback exhaust. Disd you really read my OP?...lol.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by vuuha05
awesome information ankur, but which aftermarket j-pipe would you recommend out of the whole crowd?
Go for the latest and greatest jpipe. Richie RV6 released his V3 in March 2010.

Originally Posted by bforbrian
Keep in mind that this aftermarket J-pipe is most effective with a complementing 3rd cat delete and aftermarket full exhaust. Simply a replacement of a j-pipe with an aftermarket j-pipe will give you some gain, but will then be obstructed by stock piping after.
The Richie RV6 Jpipe eliminates the 3rd cat.
again, this is the latest and greatest version.

Desmond, as you know you simply cannot add the said gains to come up with a HP figure.
Richie has dynoed the pipe on a stock car and it gained 15hp. RV6 is coming out with acat back with gains of 15 horses as well on a stock car.
BUTT put these two together and it does not make 30hp.

I ment a car just adding the j-pipe like i stated. Which cats could i get away with removing if my county in NC does emissions? I also mentioned i plan on catback exhaust. Disd you really read my OP?...lol.

youre going to be removing the 3rd cat. you will still pass emissions. the 3rd cat is in place to reach the ULEV II rating. there are no sensors on the 3rd cat.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
^^^Wow...very nicely put!.....+1

The only thing I would add is when I installed my CAI I noticed about 1mpg better fuel economy and after I added richie's RV6 V3 Jpipe I really didn't notice a change in gas mileage. Then I added an ATLP V2 exhaust and it didn't do much either. I think all these mods are very minimal when it comes to fuel economy. For HP to $$$ ratio, go for the Jpipe.

Last edited by 1islandparadise; 01-06-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by donnieb83
^^^Wow...very nicely put!.....+1

The only thing I would add is when I installed my CAI I noticed about 1mpg better fuel economy and after I added richie's RV6 V3 Jpipe I really didn't notice a change in gas mileage. Then I added an ATLP V2 exhaust and it didn't do much either. I think all these mods are very minimal when it comes to fuel economy. For HP to $$$ ratio, go for the Jpipe.
x2.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Less exhaust restriction means more hp, torque, and mpg.

Less intake restriction means more hp and no change in mpg.

There was a guy on here that got some nice gains from PCDs and a J-pipe with stock exhaust. In fact, he got the normal gains that people with a catback get. This leads me to believe that most of the restriction is at the usual place.... the precats up to the first cat. The sound was extremely nice, something I would do and I'm ultra conservative when it comes to the looks and sound of my car. It sounded pretty much stock at idle and like stock only louder at full throttle.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I love the "ive done research and couldn't find anything on....."

This is with every new thread, so nothing aimed at you specifically

Seriously....everything you want answers for has been beating to death to waste the 9 lives of a cat...

So in all honesty..you didn't search, you didn't bother to read.

Last edited by Opel; 01-06-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
One purpose of a well design J-pipe is to create scavenging (click here- see Post #26). This is the key design concept behind the RV6 V3 Long Tube J-Pipe (click here).
Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Haa ha Opel pissed.

My word of advice. All items are insignificant. No crazy gains will be had. But if you have love for the game, nothing matters.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Oh everyone beat me to it. Opel, IHC, and innacurate posting in the same thread? Epic

Souljah the new CTS-V's are hideous.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
One purpose of a well design J-pipe is to create scavenging (click here- see Post #26). This is the key design concept behind the RV6 V3 Long Tube J-Pipe (click here).
That makes sense. I saw that "scavenging" all over the place but could never figure out what it meant. Thanks for that. It looks like the RV6 V.3 might be the way to go.

Originally Posted by I hate cars

There was a guy on here that got some nice gains from PCDs and a J-pipe with stock exhaust. In fact, he got the normal gains that people with a catback get. This leads me to believe that most of the restriction is at the usual place.... the precats up to the first cat. The sound was extremely nice, something I would do and I'm ultra conservative when it comes to the looks and sound of my car. It sounded pretty much stock at idle and like stock only louder at full throttle.
I think I'll start with the jpipe then and work piecemeal from there. Not enough $$$ to drop on everything at once. It sounds like the jpipe is probably the best bang for the buck to start with.

Originally Posted by Opel
I love the "ive done research and couldn't find anything on....."

This is with every new thread, so nothing aimed at you specifically

Seriously....everything you want answers for has been beating to death to waste the 9 lives of a cat...

So in all honesty..you didn't search, you didn't bother to read.
I certainly don't want to be one of the retards who asks simple questions that have already been answered, but I've spent dozens of hours reading on this site since early November before I even bought the car. And in all that time, I've made three posts (one of which was just an FYI when I purchased new tires). Thanks to Acurazine I managed to figure out the audio (DVD-A burning, front speaker ideas, sub hookup, ipod hookup), a TPMS issue, MT6 fluid recommendations, air filters, pricing, tires, and timing belt issues from reading without posting. But I wasn't able to find out everything about this specific question from the past posts. Everyone talks about it like it's common knowledge rather than the basics but it's not necessarily common knowledge to noobs like myself. So I do sincerely apologize for the post. I hope I didn't cause too much inconvenience or wasted bandwidth. <sarcasm>
Old 01-07-2011, 08:32 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
no worries losiglow, looks like you made your decision. i fully understand your need to pose this question. it is a big purchase and you just wanted to make sure you got some up to date opinions on which one to go with and why.

^with that said...here is your jpipe, now go buy it!

http://rv6-performance.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=62
Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 AM

^ get it.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts

Also make sure you consider each of the j-pipe designs. Each j-pipe on the market uses a different grade steel and a different design.

XLR8 J-pipe - T304 SS (Domestic) with equal length runners and 2.5" collector
ATLP J-pipe - 439 SS with 2.5" collector
RV6 J-pipe - 304 SS (Overseas) with 2.5" exit (eliminates 3rd cat)
Old 01-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate

Also make sure you consider each of the j-pipe designs. Each j-pipe on the market uses a different grade steel and a different design.

XLR8 J-pipe - T304 SS (Domestic) with equal length runners and 2.5" collector
ATLP J-pipe - 439 SS with 2.5" collector
RV6 J-pipe - 304 SS (Overseas) with 2.5" exit (eliminates 3rd cat)
Excelerate - Would your XLR8 J-pipe paired with an ATLP race pipe (already on the car) be almost identical to the RV6 v3 pipe that deletes the cat?

Already have XLR8 cat back and ATLP race pipe, is there any reason to take off the race pipe and go RV6 v3 or just do your XLR8 J-Pipe and add it to whats already there?
Old 01-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
k i haven't read your post(s), but just to simply answer your question. the j-pipe comes down from pre-cats (which come directly off the exhaust manifolds in the front and back, off the block). the part that connect the pre-catalytic converts to the rest of the exhaust system (cat back), is the j-pipe. If you look @ the stock j-pipe, you'll see quite a bit of restriction (mainly from small size).

Can someone EXPLAIN TO ME though, how the J-pipe adds up more whp? It's better free flowing, which makes sense, but added onto a stock exhaust system, doesn't that create bottlenecking? Doesn't that just shift the hp/tq curve further up the rpm band?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by erick3
k i haven't read your post(s), but just to simply answer your question. the j-pipe comes down from pre-cats (which come directly off the exhaust manifolds in the front and back, off the block). the part that connect the pre-catalytic converts to the rest of the exhaust system (cat back), is the j-pipe. If you look @ the stock j-pipe, you'll see quite a bit of restriction (mainly from small size).

Can someone EXPLAIN TO ME though, how the J-pipe adds up more whp? It's better free flowing, which makes sense, but added onto a stock exhaust system, doesn't that create bottlenecking? Doesn't that just shift the hp/tq curve further up the rpm band?
Pre-Cats > J-Pipe > 3rd Cat > Rest of system.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by erick3

Because its the sum of all restrictions not the single largest restriction that determines the total restriction. Based on the gains most people make it would seem that most of it is in the pcds and jpipe and not as much the cat back.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:52 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
IIt seems like the benefit would be insignificant. I don't want to pay $200ish just to get a little better sound. (2X that for the jpipe)
I think you just answered your own question.

Albeit the j-pipe does have some benefit, the return-on-investment might turn you away.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Boostingaz
Excelerate - Would your XLR8 J-pipe paired with an ATLP race pipe (already on the car) be almost identical to the RV6 v3 pipe that deletes the cat?

Already have XLR8 cat back and ATLP race pipe, is there any reason to take off the race pipe and go RV6 v3 or just do your XLR8 J-Pipe and add it to whats already there?
Yes it would accomplish the same thing. The RV-6 pipe just creates one solid pipe and deletes that 3rd cat. Our j-pipe allows you to keep the 3rd cat if you choose. So you could buy our j-pipe and use it with your ATLP test pipe.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
ok ok, no inconvenience
I apologize I came across the way I did

Goodluck with your decisions...these guys know this stuff to a great extent, so anything you decide based on their advice, will be the right decision.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Intermediate

Yes it would accomplish the same thing. The RV-6 pipe just creates one solid pipe and deletes that 3rd cat. Our j-pipe allows you to keep the 3rd cat if you choose. So you could buy our j-pipe and use it with your ATLP test pipe.
Thanks

People say the XLR8 hangs lower than the ATLP and RV-6 which potentially causes some scrape issues when lowering. Does the "low profile" of the other two reduce or interrupt flow at all?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Because its the sum of all restrictions not the single largest restriction that determines the total restriction. Based on the gains most people make it would seem that most of it is in the pcds and jpipe and not as much the cat back.
This.

The "bottlenecking" term is so overused on here it's almost laughable.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Id be curious to know or theorize up to how much horsepower the stock cat back can actually handle/allow additional power to be added without having to be changed.

On the integra type R, a previous car I had it was mostly left stock as it really wasnt the MAIN restriction.....

I know there are gains to be had for the TL by adding an exhaust I am just not into the sound, I think I will experiment with the mods and a stock cat back to see the difference in the same mods with people who have a cat back.

hmmmmmmm

additionally and forgive me if this is a stupid theory.....

But what do you think the improvements with lack of sound ( if any ) would be by changing all the stock "piping" only to 2.5 and having it welding back onto the stock resonator and mufflers?

Originally Posted by anx1300c
This.

The "bottlenecking" term is so overused on here it's almost laughable.
We agree on this point, were flowing air, and stock amounts at that, I really dont see how the smaller piping would really be that MUCH of a restriction, again I could see some, but not enough to categorize it as "bottle necking" since we are speaking of N/A cars.... Turbo and supercharge I am sure the above would be accurate. Your thoughts?

Originally Posted by ebelp
I think you just answered your own question.

Albeit the j-pipe does have some benefit, the return-on-investment might turn you away.
15 whp proven on a dyno chart is pretty good, Im surprised you would say that would turn someone away... Id gladly take that additional power and will be soon....

Last edited by Steven Bell; 01-07-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Threads merged.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OntheJob
Id be curious to know or theorize up to how much horsepower the stock cat back can actually handle/allow additional power to be added without having to be changed.

On the integra type R, a previous car I had it was mostly left stock as it really wasnt the MAIN restriction.....

I know there are gains to be had for the TL by adding an exhaust I am just not into the sound, I think I will experiment with the mods and a stock cat back to see the difference in the same mods with people who have a cat back.

hmmmmmmm

additionally and forgive me if this is a stupid theory.....

But what do you think the improvements with lack of sound ( if any ) would be by changing all the stock "piping" only to 2.5 and having it welding back onto the stock resonator and mufflers?

We agree on this point, were flowing air, and stock amounts at that, I really dont see how the smaller piping would really be that MUCH of a restriction, again I could see some, but not enough to categorize it as "bottle necking" since we are speaking of N/A cars.... Turbo and supercharge I am sure the above would be accurate. Your thoughts?

15 whp proven on a dyno chart is pretty good, Im surprised you would say that would turn someone away... Id gladly take that additional power and will be soon....
This was my exact thinking too. I'd so appreciate if you did this and record sound of the exhaust too. ITR friends of mine would only swap intake and headers and leave exhaust stock. It sounded great too. But i have base 08 tech and want to do j-pipe with free flow cat, I heard one on youtube and it sounded awful but he ran a str8 pipe and pre-muffler removed which i plan not to do. Here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PotBHLf3pQw
Old 01-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
The cat-back oem piping itself on modern cars is pretty efficient. On the TL, you'll see a couple horsepower by losing the mid muffler and resonator and another five or so by upgrading the cans.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

This was my exact thinking too. I'd so appreciate if you did this and record sound of the exhaust too. ITR friends of mine would only swap intake and headers and leave exhaust stock. It sounded great too. But i have base 08 tech and want to do j-pipe with free flow cat, I heard one on youtube and it sounded awful but he ran a str8 pipe and pre-muffler removed which i plan not to do. Here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PotBHLf3pQw
Yes stage 4 exhaust IMO sounds horrid.

If I could find a cheap stock S exhaust I would experiment with the piping size...

Dont forget by doing the RV6 v3 Jpipe it eliminates the 3rd cat, so thats what you should look at getting.

So what I am going do, is throw the rv6 Jpipe v3 on, and remove ONLY my stock Mid Muffler, and see what type of sound that gives me. I think it will be clean and slightly more tone then stock. Here is exactly what I am looking for, no ricer sound just an aggressive clean tone.

Stock for comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xNll_FugZU&feature=fvw

This kid removed his 3rd cat ( which is what the J-pipe will do) and his mid muffler, so I predict my sound to be close to this, if not identical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su_1gi3A4ho

I was interested in the pre-cat deletes, however I need to do more research as there is A LOT of back and fourth about losing torque and that is the last thing I want.... so I guess Ill have to do more reading ....

Last edited by OntheJob; 01-08-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by anx1300c
The cat-back oem piping itself on modern cars is pretty efficient. On the TL, you'll see a couple horsepower by losing the mid muffler and resonator and another five or so by upgrading the cans.
I am going to go this route, well removing the mid muffler at least and keep the stock resonator, minus new cans... I just dont like the sound at all with aftermarket mufflers, but that is my opinion, and should not influence anyone else.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Boostingaz
Thanks

People say the XLR8 hangs lower than the ATLP and RV-6 which potentially causes some scrape issues when lowering. Does the "low profile" of the other two reduce or interrupt flow at all?
Or j-pipe does hang lower than the others but it only hangs slightly lower than the subframe. However, we feel that this design is optimal for exhaust flow. Our j-pipe has been installed on many lowered vehicles. It only becomes an issue if someone is lowered more than 2" usually.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
RV6 V3 is the best jpipe you can buy for the TL. Regardless of what other vendors say regarding the steel used, no one has ever had a problem. Let alone Richie has one of, if not the best, customer service and he is always seeking to improve. Also exhaust scavenging is vital in the HP increases of the J pipe. Just like the Labree J pipe, even with the ATLP/XLR8 jpipe with a 3rd cat delete would not be equivalent to the RV6 (not by much but enough for you to take the RV6 route). I've driven TLs with all 3 J pipes and the RV6 is superior.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Intermediate

Or j-pipe does hang lower than the others but it only hangs slightly lower than the subframe. However, we feel that this design is optimal for exhaust flow. Our j-pipe has been installed on many lowered vehicles. It only becomes an issue if someone is lowered more than 2" usually.
As always, thanks for your help. Now just need to save
Old 01-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OntheJob
I am going to go this route, well removing the mid muffler at least and keep the stock resonator, minus new cans... I just dont like the sound at all with aftermarket mufflers, but that is my opinion, and should not influence anyone else.
I'm gonna keep the mid-muffler after hearing your posted video. It's a tad raspy for me. I think the mid-muffler will smooth out the sound. I want "sleeper" status with a little more sound than stock.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Any thought making the j-pipe out of carbon steel rather than 300-400 series CRES. Thinking in use this part get so hot that condensation corrosion is really not an issue. Then it will look more stealth and be less costly. Maybe a 10% savings because suspect labor and design are the dominate cost drivers
Old 01-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

I'm gonna keep the mid-muffler after hearing your posted video. It's a tad raspy for me. I think the mid-muffler will smooth out the sound. I want "sleeper" status with a little more sound than stock.
really? hmmm I didnt hear any rasp at all, Ill take another listen, to me it sounded to have more tone then stock and that was it.... listen to some videos with TL's with ANY aftermarket exhaust and the RASP is horrible.

Anyhow I will experiment with the setup post videos, good news is the mid mufler could always be added back on.. Ill keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Purpose of jpipes