project: production TL turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:08 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Main issues to focus on with this project:

1) Intercooler placement/ design
2) Computer management

The turbo setup and exhaust manifold design can be replicated after the turbo Accord setups.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:20 AM
Import and Domestic owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
My understanding is that your motor blew cuz you sprayed with a faulty knock sensor
No, the knock sensor is fine. Im driving the car now with the same knock sensor in it, and I am not throwing any codes. I think the ACM went bad though. When I sold the kit, I found out that the ACM was bad.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:09 AM
I like to whistle in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I had a few more dollars in the income dept. and so more knowledge of engine management. All I've known how to do is the piggyback setup. I never got into the standalone. Mostly because i had a mac and need a PC to tune on and didn't feel like buying a new laptop to tune the car. That was in the past..willing to do it now but the funds aren't there. I'm always excited about putting a turbo on anything but mostly this car because they are one in 2 million
Old 01-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pohljm
I think the thing that excites me the most about this thread is....... I dont think that Teamxrsx would be putting this kind of thought and time into this if he was not aware of Hondata's progress towards a tunable ecu or reflash coming soon. Because the plumbing and mechanical issues are solvable, its the ecu that has been the deal breaker.
you are correct. we are working on something big here. i dont have all the details... but if it all works out it will be huge for the TL.

when comptech developed the sc for the tl, they didnt want hondatas help with engine management like they did with the k series kits. i think that was a big mistake on their part. things will be different after this is done and you will see why proper tuning and engine management is soooooo important.

CJ
Old 01-28-2007, 11:44 AM
OOOOOHHHHHH

Originally Posted by TeamXRSX
you are correct. we are working on something big here. i dont have all the details... but if it all works out it will be huge for the TL.

when comptech developed the sc for the tl, they didnt want hondatas help with engine management like they did with the k series kits. i think that was a big mistake on their part. things will be different after this is done and you will see why proper tuning and engine management is soooooo important.

CJ
I agree the comptech SC has to many tuning issues and they could have resolved buy working with hondata and would have made more HP with fewer issues. I am not saying the SC is bad but if it was tuned better it would be awesome and I would already have one on my car.

It’s my belief that this motor will work a lot better with a turbo because I think the compression is a little high for an SC. That’s just my
Old 01-28-2007, 01:13 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Infamous_Ghost769
Since when does the Comptech s/c give u 100hp gain? thought it was 60. Hey seriously why get in this forum if u not gonna be at least a bit positive and supportive. You know what would be the biggest slap in the face if a turbocharger does come through for our car and all the shit talkers that were doubting it are the ones envying it and waiting in line 2 get one. I support any1 tryina improve our car in anyway and trying something different cause if it aint for them then everyone on this forum would look like a bunch of dumbass with the exact same looking and performing car.
Hey....when you go into unchartered waters...there is always nay-sayers and doubters that say it cant be done, but fact is....I dont believe anybody has really given this an honest try with good financial backing to blow on R&D, as I am sure TeamXRSX knows! But, there are several ways to do a turbo on this car sucessfully....trust me. As he said...its a matter of finding the correct combination and clearing the hurdles to the job. As I said...there will ALWAYS be nay-sayers....but it is often that spirit that drives the project to successful completion from the developers!

I say more power to ya buddy! I also feel this can be done sucessfully for a price. Hopefully you are able to work this out....it would be wonderful! And as you have already stated...much of the development that you will work through...will be cross applicable to S/C's (ie...being able to tune with a standalone unit vs the piggyback, ect ect. not to mention the IC setup could have possibilites). I look forward to following your development and wish you the best of luck! As I have already stated...I would consider swapping out, depending upon the gains and cost.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
I want my TL to go like this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uGPvOloZbM
Old 01-29-2007, 08:39 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is something I would be interested in. As with any project of this nature, I am aware it will take time and have no proble with that. Thank you for undertaking something of this nature. Jason
Old 01-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, keep it up. I'm gonna have this damn car for the rest of my life if I can. So no big rush for me.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:37 AM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Updates!!! Even "we're still working on it" here and there would be great! lol
Old 02-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Hay TeamXRSX ,

I have a question, I really want to get a cold air intake, but Im afraid that when this turbo kit comes out, I wont need it any more. As everybody, I dont like to see money go to waste. What should I do?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:21 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just buy a cone filter and attach it it your stock intake by removing the top half of the stock filter box, that way you get the sound and all cone filters are universal, so the money never goes to waste, you can put it in another car.

Lol, I do that with all my cars, except the Audis, b/c their intake system is waaaaaaaaaay to complicated.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by shayan
Hay TeamXRSX ,

I have a question, I really want to get a cold air intake, but Im afraid that when this turbo kit comes out, I wont need it any more. As everybody, I dont like to see money go to waste. What should I do?
You still have quite a waiting time for this thing to get rolling along to production so you could just purchase a CAI for now and resell the CAI on the blackmarket when this kit is produced. Noone knows how long it'll take so you might want to take that into consideration before you decide to wait for the kit.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Pro

re

im in too sounds great
Old 02-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Instructor

Hay TeamXRSX ,

get a CAI for now. Its not that expensive and it will give you some more WHP to tide you over. You could sell it on the net and recoup some of your cost. You could go ahead and get the UR underdrive pulley too if you wanted it. Stay away from aftermarket exhausts unless your OK with getting a whole new exhaust after you go turbo. I will tell you that anything less than a full 3in exhaust wont cut it, Due to the backpressure. Especially not the 2.50in exhaust thats available currently. If you would like a more detailed reason why, just let me know.

CJ
Old 02-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Instructor

update for everyone.....

I might be looking for a 6MT TL in the Jacksonville, FL area for prototyping. I was originally gonna use my TL but decided to sell the TL to get a DSM EVO 9 MR(new project car). This has not changed the TL project, just means that i can't use my car.

So, i'm might need a TL for prototyping......i will let you guys know. Who would be interested?

CJ
Old 02-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

noooo!! why don't i live in Jacksonville, FL

someone jump on this and help him out!!
Old 02-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Weather Watcher

get a CAI for now. Its not that expensive and it will give you some more WHP to tide you over. You could sell it on the net and recoup some of your cost. You could go ahead and get the UR underdrive pulley too if you wanted it. Stay away from aftermarket exhausts unless your OK with getting a whole new exhaust after you go turbo. I will tell you that anything less than a full 3in exhaust wont cut it, Due to the backpressure. Especially not the 2.50in exhaust thats available currently. If you would like a more detailed reason why, just let me know.

CJ
^I would like to know the reasoning/tech abt the 3in exhaust..... on a side note, if I lived in FL I'd have dropped off my car tonite.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:06 AM
tehLEGOman

I will hunt you down CJ if you do not complete this turbo kit after all this turbo talk. It's not looking too assuring if you've recently sold your TL. Don't let us down.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:31 AM
tehLEGOman

...And I don't want to hear another negative comment about the Comptech Supercharger kit for the UA6 TL until you've completed your [prototype] turbo kit. I'm serious.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:41 AM
B A N N E D

That's right !!!
Old 02-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
...And I don't want to hear another negative comment about the Comptech Supercharger kit for the UA6 TL until you've completed your [prototype] turbo kit. I'm serious.
lol......

i have already comitted to this kit. i have done many things, this is not my first project. Maybe you should be a little more appreciative that people are actually trying to give you a real alternative.

I WILL state the obvious and i will not sugarcoat your problems. If your asking me to lie to you about the competech SC to make you feel better, ask somebody else.

I said what i was doing and i just got finished asking for the help of a TL owner in jville.....so relax yourself.

CJ
Old 02-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Advanced

lol......

i have already comitted to this kit. i have done many things, this is not my first project. Maybe you should be a little more appreciative that people are actually trying to give you a real alternative.

I WILL state the obvious and i will not sugarcoat your problems. If your asking me to lie to you about the competech SC to make you feel better, ask somebody else.

I said what i was doing and i just got finished asking for the help of a TL owner in jville.....so relax yourself.

CJ
Sounds like buyer remorse to me......

I hope you have success with this project and thank you for the effort.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:39 PM

lol......

CJ
Have you driven/riden in a S/C 3rd gen?
Old 02-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jonnyn
Sounds like buyer remorse to me......

I hope you have success with this project and thank you for the effort.
i actually had the TL for a year and a half. Im selling it becuase i'm about to get married. It has nothing to do with the car itself. Im getting a used EVO to get my payments down a bit....its a financial move more than anything. The EVO will be used in another project though.

CJ
Old 02-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dan.....k
Have you driven/riden in a S/C 3rd gen?
It is irrelivant. What i'm reffering to is the tune. Nothing else. A blower is a blower. Its the tune that makes it all happen and keeps it safe.

Please keep in mind i had a 648whp RSX............in regards to driving a high WHP car.

I have also driven more than a few comptech S/C rsx's as well......(300+whp)

CJ
Old 02-03-2007, 12:55 PM

It is irrelivant. What i'm reffering to is the tune. Nothing else. A blower is a blower. Its the tune that makes it all happen and keeps it safe.

Please keep in mind i had a 648whp RSX............in regards to driving a high WHP car.

I have also driven more than a few comptech S/C rsx's as well......(300+whp)

CJ
Not really. I didn't ask if you had driven a high WHP car. It doesn't matter. That wasn't my point. I was simply asking if you had driven a S/C 3rd gen. I asked you so you could compare the two.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dan.....k
Not really. I didn't ask if you had driven a high WHP car. It doesn't matter. That wasn't my point. I was simply asking if you had driven a S/C 3rd gen. I asked you so you could compare the two.
I apoligize for jumping the gun. I thought your post was in refference to my above statements about the ACM.

I have not driven a S/C TL, although i would like to. Anybody in jacksonville wanna let me drive theirs?

CJ
Old 02-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Pro

isn't it funny how were all counting on xrsx to make our car a beast! I hope this gets to a finish line, with an actual product. I know many others have been at the starting line for FI'ing a tl, but no one has come through. I want a turbo'd tl bad!
Old 02-03-2007, 02:43 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

update for everyone.....

I might be looking for a 6MT TL in the Jacksonville, FL area for prototyping. I was originally gonna use my TL but decided to sell the TL to get a DSM EVO 9 MR(new project car). This has not changed the TL project, just means that i can't use my car.

So, i'm might need a TL for prototyping......i will let you guys know. Who would be interested?

CJ
Oh god....why do I fear this will end is the death of this project. Good purchase on the EVO9MR though! Was looking at one of those in white myself!! New project car huh...gonna go to war with the likes of Buscher and AMS huh! Good luck...great market with lots of fruit to bear...just highly competitive and semi saturated! But the interest in the EVO is so great....it will be a good venture for you...no doubt.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Oh god....why do I fear this will end is the death of this project. Good purchase on the EVO9MR though! Was looking at one of those in white myself!! New project car huh...gonna go to war with the likes of Buscher and AMS huh! Good luck...great market with lots of fruit to bear...just highly competitive and semi saturated! But the interest in the EVO is so great....it will be a good venture for you...no doubt.
its by no means a end!!... the EVO is a personal project using most of whats already out there......i'm not designing or testing anything in regards to the EVO. It is completly a personal choice.....mostly for payment.

Please understand that this is my personal buissness i choose to share with you,,,,,it has nothing to do with what i plan on doing for the TL..........

Besides, the EVO market is sooo saturated and the numbers being made are so insane that there is not much more to improve upon.

CJ
Old 02-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Instructor

You selling your TL is gonna put alot of faith down for every1.. But hey if u positive you can still do this than go for it. Hope you find a TL to work on. I would lend you my but mine is a 5AT and I need it to get to school. Just hope you can get through to us with something at least close to work with concerning a turbo or at least find out something that will improve performance.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:07 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

its by no means a end!!... the EVO is a personal project using most of whats already out there......i'm not designing or testing anything in regards to the EVO. It is completly a personal choice.....mostly for payment.

Please understand that this is my personal buissness i choose to share with you,,,,,it has nothing to do with what i plan on doing for the TL..........

Besides, the EVO market is sooo saturated and the numbers being made are so insane that there is not much more to improve upon.

CJ

That is very cool! I hope this continues...cause I would like to see some options surface from the R&D, ect. plus a turbo option would be very cool!!
Old 02-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Advanced

i actually had the TL for a year and a half. Im selling it becuase i'm about to get married. It has nothing to do with the car itself. Im getting a used EVO to get my payments down a bit....its a financial move more than anything. The EVO will be used in another project though.

CJ
Dude, I was talking about the other replies, not the fact that you sold your TL.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:40 AM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

I wonder how much money it would cost to piece together a custom kit... hhrrmm...
Old 02-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Converted
I wonder how much money it would cost to piece together a custom kit... hhrrmm...
It really does not matter if its 500 or 5000 dollars until there is a way to manage the ECU its worthless. like has already been said, the mechanics and the plumbing are all very doable, engine management is the nut that needs to be cracked.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Hay TeamXRSX, check this out

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/fs-logonzojls-full-partout%7Egt35r-turbo-7gen-lots-parts-357978/

Why couldnt we just use this one?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:00 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Hay TeamXRSX, check this out

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357978

Why couldnt we just use this one?
Maybe it is simply because the engine tuning he used for that 7th gen Honda WILL NOT WORK for THIS application?

NE1 else see a pattern here? It seems that on a daily basis some yo-yo (a person not reading the thread itself) asks "why can't we just use this (or that) hardware? Each time, someone (who's been actually following this thread) responds with "Because there is no engine management system at this time for the TL"

Folks, the ENGINE management system is THE PRIMARY holdup to this effort. TeamSRSX is working with Hondata (as he has stated over and over yet some still aren't "getting" it). All the hardware on the planet won't matter if there is no way to "tune" the fuel management system to the turbo...
Old 02-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

you would actually think that by this time people would have caught on...........DOH!
Old 02-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Real Estate Investor

so whats going on with this ?

Quick Reply: project: production TL turbo kit